• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Nintendo shares soar as new Pokemon mobile game captures hearts

Neoxon

People are talking about this at work. This game is a casual juggernaut.

Will be interesting to see the future of Pokemon now that the whole JRPG structure of the series has proven itself both irrelevant and potentially constraining to its appeal and ability to generate cash.
Game Freak will likely continue to make handheld mainline games since they print money for Nintendo. But as for mobile, I could see Pokémon GO constantly updated with new Pokémon from later generations to keep the game fresh.

Will be interesting to see the future of Pokemon now that the whole JRPG structure of the series has proven itself both irrelevant and potentially constraining to its appeal.

Irrelevant? The games still sell millions

Esque7

Will be interesting to see the future of Pokemon now that the whole JRPG structure of the series has proven itself both irrelevant and potentially constraining to its appeal and ability to generate cash.
Have you looked at sales of the series? It's doing just fine. If anything I'd expect a bump in sales of Sun and Moon because of Pokémon Go.

Gurrry

It's not going to be "full-fledged," in that I'm sure it'll play differently from the mainline console/handheld entries, but the initial PR was pretty clear that it and Fire Emblem are actual games, unlike Miitomo.

Well thats alot better than I thought it would be. Even if it isnt a full game, something resembling a game would be more appreciated than these weird social things like Miitomo.

I havent really gotten to experience much of Pokemon GO because ive been sick and cooped up inside, but is there things to do other than catch pokemon? Can you battle or fight gym leaders?

I'm not saying the main games sell badly. I'm saying that they clearly do not need to adhere to the JRPG-esque formula that they have established in order to have instantly accessible mass appeal.

These games regularly sell 12-15 million copies right up to today. If they don't have instantly accessible mass appeal, almost nothing does.

You're right; seems like they spun them off when they restructured as Alphabet, only to later invest $20m in seed funding alongside Nintendo and TPC.

So I guess Google owns a part of Niantic.

Google and Nintendo seem close, I wonder if they will do even more things together.

Do you think the NX handheld will also have cellular service?

They would have to work out so many deals with carriers and those carriers would have to work out deals with retail locations, and ugh. It's probably not a good idea.

I think they'll do wifi and just operate under the assumption that everyone is hotspotting now.

One day my dream of a full fledge Pokmon RPG will be on consoles. Ps6 neo maybe?

Wait so they're going to go out of business due to a massive failure in hardware and then spend a ton of money on a system base that has proven to not support family-friendly products with a series that does better on handhelds in the form of an incredibly high-budget JRPG?

Wait so they're going to go out of business due to a massive failure in hardware and then spend a ton of money on a system base that has proven to not support family-friendly products with a series that does better on handhelds in the form of an incredibly high-budget JRPG?

No I know... ; ;

Just a dream since I've enjoyed Pokemon.

They would have to work out so many deals with carriers and those carriers would have to work out deals with retail locations, and ugh. It's probably not a good idea.

I think they'll do wifi and just operate under the assumption that everyone is hotspotting now.

Well, yeah, but I was asking rhetorically in response to the idea of an NX version of Pokemon Go. I don't see how it would work with wifi alone.

Ultima_5

I really want to see how it'll do in a couple months I'm assuming most will stop playing by then and simply adding more pokes won't fix it

Josh5890

They are basically back up to what they were three months ago, not exactly a surge..

GXiKTHQl.png

Considering how the current world financial situation is a fog with Brexit looming, this kind of stability could be very important for Nintendo.

Ck1

Banned
One day my dream of a full fledge Pokmon RPG will be on consoles. Ps6 neo maybe?

I guess that makes sense, this game will bring in truck loads of money for Nintendo and somehow you wish for a full fledged Pokémon game to end up on a rivals console and not their own... Keep hoping for that!

Oregano

Oh, then they'd probably just leave stuff like that on phones. Or just use handheld AR that doesn't take GPS into consideration.

Part of the mission statement for Pokémon Go was to do something with phones that can't be achieved with consoles/handhelds so I'm not sure they're overly concerned about whether they can replicate it on their hardware.

If NX is really a software ecosystem/platform I wouldn't rule out the possibility they work with an existing handset manufacturer to produce a phone sku. Especially if it Android based in some capacity.

jblank83

I was in the emergency room at a hospital (medical student) and nurses were talking about it. I was driving home and two young kids had their phones out exploring, obviously looking for Pokemon. On the radio, the DJ was talking about Pokemon GO.

It's huge. We're talking Pac-Man/SMB/Pokemon 1996/Doom (1993) levels of explosion.

How much say does Nintendo get with the Pokemon franchise overall?

Don't they also have significant shares in the other two partners invested in TPC? They don't 100% own it but they might as well do.

wrowa

How much say does Nintendo get with the Pokemon franchise overall?

Don't they also have significant shares in the other two partners invested in TPC? They don't 100% own it but they might as well do.

32% in TPC and an undisclosed amount in Creatures.

MisterHero

Pokemon has always printed money keep in mind this is a star wars level franchise, it's now printing even more.
Controversial opinion: Pokémon is beyond Star Wars.

Satoshi Tajiri himself could've bought Star Wars for $4 billion if he was offered, and still be worth another billion. Imagine someone from Nintendo owning Star Wars. o_o

Tobor

This demonstrates how irrelevant Nintendo hardware has become.

We already have the hardware we want in our pockets and in our living rooms. All Nintendo has to do is provide the software.

MisterHero

This demonstrates how irrelevant Nintendo hardware has become.

We already have the hardware we want in our pockets and in our living rooms. All Nintendo has to do is provide the software.
but Pokémon Go is pushing a hardware aspect

Top Bottom