• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathcart

When we were kids my sister always used to swing the controller like she could make the guy run faster. I thought it was dumb, turns out she was like 20 years ahead of her time.

Zeo

Banned
I fucking love the reactions to this.

WTF!? NINTENDO SUCKS. Wait.. OMG COOL.

See, once you actually think about the possibilities, it seems a lot cooler.

Although I suppose you'll still have people like Drinky saying Nintendo hasn't been into gaming in years. :lol

koam

Drinky Crow said:
Hey, remember when you kooky Nintendo kids were "imagineering" uses for the DS touch screen, and how very few of them were actually plausible --much less FUN -- in reality?

Admit it: you hate gaming. You're desperately trying to rationalize novelty as innovation, when the reality is that you're gonna get mini-games and half-assed implementations up the yin-yang, just like with the DS.

Look at the DS. What are the most anticipated games? Advance Wars. Mario and Luigi 2. Castlevania. Mario Kart. New Super Mario Bros. Games that could easily be just as good (and in the case of Castlevania and Mario Kart, BETTER) without a touchscreen. The same thing is gonna happen with the Revolution. Once you weary of the Feel The Magics and the Meteoses and the Wario Wares, you'll be back to getting hyped for traditional, substantial content free of unproven and unpolished novelty tricks.

Your tired industry ennui isn't gonna disappear because you wave a wand instead of pushing a stick. You won't get over it until you

BUY A PS2.

You made your own troll thread designed especially to troll, why don't you go play over there and let us have our own civilized conversation here. Better yet, why don't you go make an eyetoy thread and troll in there since the concept is similar?

I've given the whole thing some thought and... I like it. A lot.

The only change I'd make is to have the 2 buttons at the bottom of the controller changed into a SNES cross for easier backward compatibility. Otherwise, this thing is great. It's not really a dealbreaker either because you can just use the analog stick and treat the dpad like face buttons. Since it's got 2 shoulder buttons on one side and one shoulder and an easily accessible A button you can easily control anything with it- and not really any different than you would have before.

I can think of easy ways to make virtually any genre work on the thing and I really don't see it as all that wacky, honestly. It does open up a lot of really simple, intuitive control options for various genres and in that respect it gets my vote. As long as the sensitivity for the motion sensor is there- and it sounds like it definitely is- the possibilities are astounding.

Ergonomics on it look pretty solid and controlling it sitting on the couch looks fairly easy as well. Plus, the hardware looks damned sexy. Sign me up.

GhaleonEB

BorkBork said:
Seriously if you haven't seen the video, you should check it out. I don't know how far from abstract swinging a sword, holding a flashlight, or yanking on a fishing line can get. This is as tactile and easy to grasp as anything I have ever seen.

The video was the first thing I saw, pics later.

I suspect it will be a hit, but I'm just not interesting in acting like an idiot in my living room. I'll take the sleek and sexy 360 controller any day.

Final thoughts before going to bed:

"Developers Love It"
- Well what else are they supposed to say? They see a potential to make cash and if it fails, they bail. It's basic PR tactics.

"It's Different"- Sure is and love or hate Nintendo, you still have to admit that it's a bold move on their part. Whether the industry and consumers are ready or not for it is a different story altogether.

"Thank You Nintendo"
- For at the very least making the gaming world and GAF a more interesting place and offering an alternative to gaming and consumers alike, even though many won't like it, from that of Sony and MS.

Matlock

Banned
After a bit of thought--

It looks amazingly retarded...but I'm strangely compelled to try it.

Gha, dammit Nintendo!

raYne

scola said:
the video shows the bottom most buttons as x and y instead of a and b :confused.
? Are you sure you weren't looking at the two buttons on the analog attachment at the time?

*edit*
Just noticed that the analog triggers are Z1 and Z2.. so uhh.. I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

sammy

hours later and I'm still pumped --- ideas for games just keep rollin in my head... this is great, like when i saw the N64 controller for the first time back in the day :)

it's been a long time since we were able to buy a new console with an exciting and different controller ....

I sill have scars from the first day opening my PS2, only for it to come with the same damn controller i had for the PS1 .... deep cuts sony.

Diffense said:
Yeah, I could easily envision an attachment that has no analog stick just 4 face buttons for the thumb along with the triggers.

As it is, I think the 4 dpad directions, the A button, the B trigger and the 2 (?) triggers on analog attachment are the full complement of buttons that would be accessible to an FPS game.

What I don't think I have a full handle on is the kinds of motion that the wand detects. I think it can detect rolling motions, pulling/pushing motions in addition to motions up, down, left and right.

I can imagine rolling motions being used to peek around a corner for example. Pushing towards or pulling away could be gestures that initiate crouching or standing. Up, down, left and right would obviously allow you to look around and the analog attachment would control movement.

The point of my bit of speculation is that there will be different ways to do things so I'm not concerned about the number of buttons yet. The buttons just complement the central wand functionality. They allow the same motion to mean something different depending on the button state. Like with a mouse, you simply move the cursor if the left button is not pressed, you drag stuff if it's pressed, you summon a context menu if the right button is down, etc.

the video http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

is awesome i can see a lot of grea tgames and with EA pledging support and also stating that their sport games will get the first use of the new controls. i am excited. as i hope the add the x and y bottuns to the end of the controller to give it a much better feel for fighting games.

Tellaerin

koam said:
Better yet, why don't you go make an eyetoy thread and troll in there since the concept is similar?

The difference is that Sony hasn't gone and announced that the EyeToy will be the primary input mechanism for the PS3, and that all the first-party games for the system will be specifically designed to be played with it instead of a conventional controller. :p

Mashing

Matlock said:
After a bit of thought--

It looks amazingly retarded...but I'm strangely compelled to try it.

Gha, dammit Nintendo!

This is ultimately why it's going to succeed. It just screams "TRY ME!". It markets itself.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
GhaleonEB said:
The video was the first thing I saw, pics later.

I suspect it will be a hit, but I'm just not interesting in acting like an idiot in my living room. I'll take the sleek and sexy 360 controller any day.

When you get down to it, gaming is an idiotic thing anyway. Just because you're twiddling your thumbs instead of using a gyro-thing, doesn't make it less so. We're just more accustomed to it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
The EyeToy is optional and marketed as a gimmick.

The Revolution is optional and shut the hell up.

Matlock

Banned
Mashing said:
This is ultimately why it's going to succeed. It just screams "TRY ME!". It markets itself.

Not really, I mean the concept is so novel--but not sure if it'll wind up being novelty or accepted.

As much as I hate retarded business strategy speculation, I can only hope that Nintendo will do an educational campaign about it so people can know what the fuck it is. :p

marsomega

revcon2.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

kablooey

Mason said:
Honestly, if you think about it within the constructs of what we know as a "videogame", this is truly revolutionary. Niche product or not, this is going to be very fun.

By making it look sleek and sexy, I don't think people will have a problem giving it a try. And when they do, I don't think they'll be able to NOT buy one. I cannot wait to see more; this is the first time I haven't been disappointed by Nintendo in years. I'm very optimistic about this system.

I agree. I can't wait to see (and try for myself) people demoing it at EB, Circuit City, etc. :lol

Now, a more sober opinion: I do have worries about a few things. How comfortable will it be to use continually? Will it handle regular games well? And, though I don't like to admit it, Drinky Crow brings up a valid point about the new controls being used as a gimmick like in many instances on the DS. But I think the financial incentive is there for devs this time to take full advantage of the controller; even EA says its sports titles will benefit from it. Maybe at first, while devs are still figuring things out, lots of unadventurous games will see release, but the controller looks like so much fun to use that even traditional games will become completely different experiences.

Make no mistake about it, this is easily as revolutionary as the N64 was, and I really didn't think that was possible this time around. Nintendo is accentuating its strengths here, without having to pander to people who want them to "beat" Sony and Microsoft. So for that at least, I'm happy.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
When I first saw this, I laughed my ass off. But now, that its sunken in: this is fucking awesome. I'd even go as far as saying this is almost as big as a jump from the 2-d to 3-d generations.

Think about the millions of ideas. A samurai fighting game, you and youre friend each wielding a controller, having a real (well, fake) swordfight and the characters on the screen following youre every move.

Secondly, the "no 3rd party" and "not enough buttons" will be taken care of by the gamecube controller ports.

Thirdly, because of this, I see the Goldeneye effect coming into play here. I remember goldeneye not getting much hype back in the day, and I went over to my friends house and his older brother had it. Anywho I played it once for about an hour, and a week later I went out and bought the game. A month later, all my friends had goldeneye. I laughed at first, and I'm sure everyone will, but once people try this and like it, I guarantee people will buy this.

This is fucking innovation folks, this is (wait for it) revolutionary. +100 for nintendo

Jado

Banned
Cathcart said:
When we were kids my sister always used to swing the controller like she could make the guy run faster. I thought it was dumb, turns out she was like 20 years ahead of her time.

I posted about this in a Rev controller thread a month ag. How a person's natural reaction upon first playing video games IS to move the controller about, but that the game and controller forced you not to. If truly done right, this will be a lot more intuitive than any regular controller.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drinky Crow said:
You're quickly becoming optional, chumpie! BUY A PS2!

I know it's your schtick, but what the hell does that even mean? I own two. Whoop dee do?
Once I own a Rev, my PS2's will dissapear, or I'll never be allowed to play them again? What? You preach intelligence, but your trolling lacks it.
If I want a Rev, I'll buy one, if it flops and kills gaming like we apparently want it to, the market will show as such. You know this is better than just 3 of the same again, you just enjoy putting wood into the fire, but yours is getting moldy man.

PkunkFury said:
I'm really starting to like this controller, but how they could show it without any games is beyond me!

Right know there's a lot of buzz about just the controller, it'll die down soon. Then in October (I think Iwata said that), they'll show more. Hype galore!

Amzin

Cathcart said:

Actually, I just remembered that ALL the girl gamers I know move their controllers around a lot when they play, and all the guys always make fun of them for it. I guess they're finally going to have their vindication. :lol

Triumph

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

I can't believe that what you guys keep clinging to is footage of people pretending to use a remote control to play a videogame(or nongames in certain cases). THERE IS NO ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF SOMEONE INTERACTING WITH A GAME WITH THIS CONTROLLER. YOU'RE LOOKING AT MAKE BELIEVE.

ejdonk

:lol

All the people bitching around now probably didn't say the video.. also what did you expect? You thought they'd call the thing revolution because of the blue light disc shaft? Or were you the visor type of guy?
Either way, it's really something new and interesting.. I'm _really_ looking forward to use it. People who are biased or who just don't wan't/accept new things -> just try not to share your frustrations.

The three step process of hate, acceptance, and salivation is in full effect...

When I first saw it, I cursed with a frown... you watch the video, and it's game. fucking. over--something actually lived up to the hype...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
so ive been thinking about this.. and ive come to the conclusion that nintendo completely sidestepped the current industry, they basically said, 'fuck you microsoft and sony, we are doing our own thing' . .. its a bit odd, its definitely different, but you know what.. it might just work. .. the more i think about it the more i realize how fun this little console might just be.. there are many possibilities here.. they wont be the normal mainstream games.. but more of an alternative.. it definitely wont be my only console, but i could see it having the ultimate party games..

who knows, i think there is still a whole lot to be explained and seen.

:/

GDGF

Soothsayer
You'd be better off ignoring Drinky. Your tears give him power :lol

(take your frustrations out on him in SSBM: Online, as he will most likely have a Revolution on day one)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Shard said:
Oh and watch for the lazyer third party developers to stick to using the standard Gamecube controller for their games.
Then everybody should be happy! Right?

While I'd still like it to have a few more buttons on the remote, I don't think developers will have to much of a problem of adapting any game to the system. With the analog stick expansion, you've got dual analog control, 5 face button, and 3 shoulder buttons. That's not any different from the DS2 (unless you count the rarely used L&R3). Except now you have access to everything at the same time.

I can honestly see Sony or MS adapting this concept into their controllers (though I doubt they'd use the same design concept). Sony has been experimenting with a similar concept with the Eye-Toy.

I'm interested in how Nintendo plans to package this thing? They show several examples of one person using two remotes (That would give you dual 3D analog control, 10 face buttons and 2 shoulder). Will the system come with 2 controllers and the analog stick? How much are these controller going to cost?

Diffense

What really is conventional?

You do realize that everything that's conventional in controllers now was weird and different at some point.

Raoul Duke said:
:lol :lol :lol

I can't believe that what you guys keep clinging to is footage of people pretending to use a remote control to play a videogame(or nongames in certain cases). THERE IS NO ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF SOMEONE INTERACTING WITH A GAME WITH THIS CONTROLLER. YOU'RE LOOKING AT MAKE BELIEVE.

if you read the posts people couldnt grasp the ideas of what this controller could be used in. Now with the video it opens up to how the controller may be used in those genres. No one is saying those games will have them popping behind couches to dodge bullets, but it shows how maybe fps and how flexible the controller will be when wireless..

Why dont you stfu and quit trolling and go f a cow. Thanks :)

Ruzbeh

Banned
This is hilarious!

Seriously. My intial reaction was "... Huh... What. What the fuuuuuck :(" And I seriously felt like Nintendo was doomed. :lol But then the idea sank in and at the moment (about a 40 min after seeing it) I am amazed. I've never been so goddamn excited! Nintendo is pure, pure genious. I can just hardly believe how incredibly smart they were to create a controller shaped like a damn remote to get non-gamers to play games, since everyone knows how to use a remote. I also can't believe how Nintendo has the balls to go with something this, but I can imagine they are forced to go with something different since they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft, I'm sure Mr. Miyamoto sees this as an advantage. :lol

This is awesome. I can't wait!! :D !! This really is revolutionary!

Also, I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get any more info... I was expecting at least a final name and a final design... Also, the controller Nintendo has shown isn't final either.

PotatoeMasher said:

When I first saw it, I cursed with a frown... you watch the video, and it's game. fucking. over--something actually lived up to the hype...

Exactly!

Triumph

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:

Really? All I saw was people facing my screen jumping around with a remote accompanied by sound effects. OH THINK OF TEH POSSIBILITIES!!!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
3d mice are neither new nor good. although i suppose most of them look less like ipod shuffles? :/

that cvg leak about a gyroscopic controller with force feedback sounded much cooler, incidentally. my expectations for revolution weren't high, but it's still surprising that this is it.

Sean

Banned
I can think of quite a few awesome ideas for the controller, but it's also a bit flawed in my opinion.

- D-Pad is way too close to the power button.
- When holding it like the picture (vertically), it looks very difficult to reach the bottom buttons
- 10 to 15 feet range? The Wavebird had a longer range then that.
- Useless for fighting games
- The attachment analog stick looks very stupid, why not have it on the controller already?
- Will third parties support it with fun and unique ideas? after the lack of GCN third party support, and the difference in hardware and controller with the revolution I doubt many will bother.
- Will it be fun for marathon gaming sessions or will your arms get tired after a while?

Triumph

Banned
PezRadar said:
if you read the posts people couldnt grasp the ideas of what this controller could be used in. Now with the video it opens up to how the controller may be used in those genres. No one is saying those games will have them popping behind couches to dodge bullets, but it shows how maybe fps and how flexible the controller will be when wireless..

Why dont you stfu and quit trolling and go f a cow. Thanks :)
No it doesn't. It represents possibilities of ideas that might not even be implemented.

By all means, continue to jizz over "possibilities" while I enjoy concrete next gen goodness on the other two systems. :D

Raoul, the best part of this whole exercise is that these tired, jaded once-gamers get to indulge their imaginations in concocting all sorts of new, half-baked, impractical ideas that will never see any sort of fulfillment!

WHY DO U HATE FUN :(

(Man, I can almost recycle my DS flames/arguments/trolls verbatim. Twice the Drinkytainment at half the cost!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom