• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razoric

Banned
media35em.jpg

That looks tiring, uncomfortable and overall shit setup.

I looks like it'd be fun to play for about 5 minutes then you'll be begging for a "normal" controller again. Kinda like the powerglove and lightgun. :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
You people are hilarious.

At least this is different- and the descriptions were positive. It introduces new functionality. The bitching is expected, but I'm not dissapointed. DO we want 3 of the same damn system? Everyone knows you should pick up one of the other 2 for your 3rd party fix. As long as this introcued new concepts, and plays in house nintendo games damn well- Im not dissapointed.

metdroid said:
From IGN:

'Also, since the controller flips on its side to work very much like a NES pad, it would be interesting to mix up gameplay and throw in an old-school challenge'

I guess thats pretty cool...

But what about SNES or N64 games? It's going to be a pain in the arse buying new attachments just to get the most out of the downloadable back catalogue.

I get the feeling that while this was partly motivated by the desire to create new ways to play, a lot of Nintendo's thinking in this was the big dollars signs in their eyes at the 20 different attachments they can sell for a nice markup.

Bets on almost each new big game requiring a new attachment for it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kuroyume said:
How are you going to play fighting games on that thing?

You won't...

I'm a little blown away by this all. This is not even close to what I was expecting...just "whoa."

Vieo

Ahem...

Unlike the rest of you fucktards, I will reserve judgement until I read impressions and play a game with it.

If that was a little too harsh for you, too bad. STFU!!!

evil ways

:lol :lol :lol

Oh Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo, when are you guys gonna learn that weird, unique and original doesn't equal good.

You will be missed......

sadness.jpg

PS2 KID

This is pretty close to the concept I thought they would come up with. I just thought they would make both halfs wireless instead of having the controller half wired to the remote controller half. Makes it hard for two handed blasting. I'm disappointed in the 'remote control' half because, uncommon for Nintendo, it's not ergonomically shaped like the control stick half. This bends the wrist out of optimal position in contrast to the tethered control stick half. Not good. It's a great concept just not executed as well as I would have thought them capable of doing. There's a drawback to all this of course.. it's if you lose one of the halfs or forgot where you put it. I hope there's some kind of blinking or beeping alarm to help you locate it. A remote control locater. :)

dkeane

Die Squirrel Die said:
But what about SNES or N64 games? It's going to be a pain in the arse buying new attachments just to get the most out of the downloadable back catalogue.

I get the feeling that while this was partly motivated by the desire to create new ways to play, a lot of Nintendo's thinking in this was the big dollars signs in their eyes at the 20 different attachments they can sell for a nice markup.

Bets on almost each new big game requiring a new attachment for it.

You could just use a wavebird you know, or a regular cube controller.

Monk

Banned
You guys are retarded. You can use whichever hand you want. Think of that the main action controller(i think in needs more button instead of just A. Second hand can be used for your analog control needs. But wait there is more! You can have the anaog controller and a regular style button layout on the other.

There is really one thing wrong with it, the analog one should be the main controller.

KarishBHR

I dont know what to think.

I was going to get the rev like I did with GCN for the "different Nintendo games" (mario, zelda, exc.) So this seems like a blessing, Ill get very different games.

Now im worried about Nintendos future, A... this doesnt look kid friendly. B, what person walking into a store knowing nothing about games is going to buy the one that looks like a remote.

Ironclad

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html
IGN's hands-on, just in case you missed the link in the other thread.

I'm loving the idea that you can flip it horizontally and it will essentailly be an NES controller, and the remote does look really nice, but it just doesn't seem intuitive at all. There is no way that you will have access to the D-pad and both the A and B buttons with only your right or left hand. Multiplatform releases are going to be a major pain for developers as well. Still, I'm remaining optimistic. Some of the tech demos sound incredibly interesting, especially the MP 3 mock up.

Now, come on MGS 4 trailer! Light it up.

OmniGamer

I feel like Mr. Garrison when he said(about the movie "Contact")

MrGarrison.jpg

"I waited all movie long to see the Alien and it was her Goddamn father!"

But really...i'm in shock, not really disappointed at all(kinda worried at Nintendo's "next-gen" image though)...sure is pretty to look at, but can't imagine conventional games(read:backwards compatible games and 3rd party games) being functional...but i'm sure the different attachments will be interesting.

I can just sit back at watch the forum implode or explode (or one and then the other) at this news.

TGS 2005! FANBOYS.....WILL....DIE!!!!

papercut

everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that people who actually tried the thing liked it. that also applies to development houses.

and i also get the feeling that most of you who hate it now are going to like it once you get your hands on it.

thank you once again, nintendo, for trying something new.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BTW Axl, where's that avatar from? Looks cool...

Anyways, looking at the 1up article, the movement features sound really neat, actually. I think it could be a pretty slick little controller. Problem is, I don't think I would want to play normal games on it...but that might work out.

If the actual hardware is really underpowered in comparison to the other two, I would not wish to see traditional games wasted on that hardware. This bizarre controller may prevent that from happening. Get my traditional games on X360 and PS3...and some unique stuff on Rev.

We'll see how this turns out, though...

Intriguing, but it's the N64 and GC all over again. A controller designed for certain genres at the expense of others. Also, third-party support will again be the worst of the three and the first-party games will make owning the system worth it. Despite all the talk about expanding the game-playing audience, Nintendo is actually appealing more to a niche audience, IMO.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Screw the haters. I think this could actually be awesome and I can't wait to try it.

Its genius is its simplicity. People who are new to gaming may not feel comfortable using a controller but everyone knows how to use a remote control. Nintendo has been saying for months that they want to make controllers less complicated for people and I think they might have succeeded.

Plus the thing is weird enough that it screams "try me". People will see this in stores and they will be compelled to pick it up. Some of these people might not have been willing to try Nintendo's next system if it was just another Playstation or Xbox. Afterall why not just buy one of those systems? This will be something truly unique. If Nintendo can have something compelling ready at launch and in the demo kiosks that is really fun and intuitive the Revolution could be a success.

Monk said:
You guys are retarded. You can use whichever hand you want. Think of that the main action controller(i think in needs more button instead of just A. Second hand can be used for your analog control needs. But wait there is more! You can have the anaog controller and a regular style button layout on the other.

There is really one thing wrong with it, the analog one should be the main controller.

Every controller has a problem with it, what's important is how it will work with games. They didnt show any games playing with it did they? IF they had, it would have made more sense.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
copied from the now locked thread:

Assuming...ASSUMING...this crazy apeshit idea comes with the "Give me a fucking normal controller, assfuck" adaptor, then I could buy into this idea. Somewhat like with the DS, how most companies just halfass the "innovation" of the second screen and slap a map on there, they could ignore the universal remonster that is the revolution controller. But if they want to make an FPS/strategy/whatever game, then go for it, it's practically custom made for that stuff. And if they want to make their own crazy little adaptor and have a blast dicking around with it, they can do that too.

Of course, this won't happen, and we'll be stuck with GBA-like ports that are dumbed down to use two buttons.

Oh, wait. GBA has four buttons.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
How does the backwards compatibility work? How can you play N64 and GCN games with it?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
For normal games/multiplatform games.. cant the Revolution just use the GCN controller. THat'd be alrgith I guess but they'd need to pack one in witht he Revolution.

Just take a couple of remotes (To simulate the controller and attachment) and hold out in front of you for awhile simulating movements you would make. How do your arms feel after say 30 minutes.

Mrbob

I go to the gym to workout.

I play games to relax.

There has to be more. I don't want to flail my body around playing games. Ugh.

Tellaerin

Deku said:
MS and Sony will be stealing this soon.

Like they stole the GC's oddball buttons and dwarf 2nd analog? I don't think so. Maybe you missed everyone else's reaction in this thread or something. I seriously doubt we're going to see overwhelming demand for this... hell, right now I'm just grateful that I'll be able to plug my old GC controller into the Rev, because while I'm not exactly fond of the Cube pad, the Rev controller looks like a big step down. Nintendo DEVOLUTION.

It's pretty, though, I'll give it that. Definitely captured the 'iPod chic' look, something the X360 case design aspired to but fell short of, IMO.

KeithFranklin said:
Just take a couple of remotes (To simulate the controller and attachment) and hold out in front of you for awhile simulating movements you would make. How do your arms feel after say 30 minutes.

Excellent point. I don't think I'll want to be waving my remote/sword every two seconds to fight enemies in Zelda.

crunker99

Face it

we all just got Nintendowned

Just to recap this next gen we have the following:

The Bat-arang Pad
The 2 Piece TV Remote Pad
Gods Gift to Hands

belgurdo

Banned
Oh Jesus :lol

I seriously cannot stop giggling at this

:lol

Guess we'll be a Controller-S-like revision once every third party runs in terror

Mashing

Typical. The reaction here is so predictable.

At first I was also like: WTF IS THAT THING??

But after reading IGN's, 1-Up's and Gamespot's impressions I'm really exicted to play games. The possiblities really are astounding.

Of course everone likes to jump to conclusions without even playing games on it.

Diffense

Anyone with a thimble-ful's worth of vision should be able to see the possibilities here. Control will obviously rely more on gestures than rather than skill manipulating a keyboard full of buttons.

Whether you like it or not it IS a revolution.

So now publically, THQ, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and Kojima Productions have all praised the Revolution controller. Very interesting.

Link316

Banned
reminds me of the powerglove :p

those of us who have used that thing knows how tiring it gets after holding it up for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom