• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
this things awesome, once we have demos and we've all tried it, we'll all need one.

or i'm gonna be the only kid in the midwest playing it. as long as I'm happy.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Don't forget Revolution has GC controller ports.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
so now that the rev controller is revealed, when is capcom going to announce the RE5 rev. port?

:lol

My opinion is waiting on seeing what Nintendo is going to do gamewise with this contraption, but I think the Revolution will make an awesome secondary console.

Somnia

Don't forget guys that this system does have spots to plug in gamecube controllers... so if nintendo packs in this remote + a gamecube controller your 3rd party worries for multi-platform games are gone... I know that ends the whole revolution of the system ,but it makes porting games over to Revo much easier... just use the old GC controllers...

Plus for N64 games you could just use the gamecube controller, problem solved.

DSN2K

Nintendo now have an excuse for short games... surely you cant play for more then 5mins at a time with this controller ?

as of now I hate it, that could change down the line maybe..... :(

Acrylamid

ign:
Footage shows them using the device in various ways. Playing instruments. Cutting sushi. Making Mario jump by tilting the controller up. Slashing a sword. Using the remote as a light gun. Performing surgery. It showed an older couple conducting a concert with two remotes. Four girls catching bugs with remotes. Even showed a single person playing with two remotes.
Audience loved it.
No demos shown. However, Shigeru Miyamoto previewed tech demos to IGN behind-closed-doors. Read our full report on the front page.
Praise for Revolution controller from Hideo Kojima and Square Enix.

Wow, some of the responses here are depressing.

Give me my Revolution devkit now please Nintendo!

Thank you Nintendo for remembering that the game biz is supposed to be fun.

Aurora

Oh fuck no. I woke up in the middle of the night... for this.

Iwata: You will say 'wow'.

Yes I did. I certainly did.

Someone slap me to make sure I'm awake. This just can't be it. No. 80% of the mockups were better than this.

I am not joking when I say this. The GameCube controller appears much better than this one.

Ah fuck.

bobjuice

Banned
Why is there such a thirst for three systems that do the exact same thing? Most of you seem to be multiconsole people, so what's the loss here? Do you REALLY want RE5 on all three systems? Why do you care so much? I love this and can't wait to see where it goes. Pity all you fattyarms who can't handle it.

I thought the Revolution controller would find the cure for cancer, let you have sex with it and also work as a time machine. What happened to all that stuff? Man, what a disappointment.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This was posted by me in the Wednesdayton thread a while back. So damn close. Now you see why I call myself the Soothsayer :)

(08-23-2005, 12:20 AM)
Reply | Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know shit, but if I were to pretend that I knew what the controller was, I would say that it was a one handed job (like those old one handed RPG specific super famicom controllers) with one analog stick on the top, and a dpad off to the side. The buttons would be placed like triggers near your fingertips. The second analog would be replaced by the tilt sensor.

I'm totally psyched for the controller, BTW.

LOOKS FUCKING GREAT, THE FEATURES SOUND FUCKING SWEET. STOP WHINING LIKE A BUNCH OF FUCKING PUSSIES AND DONT JUDGE THE CONTROLLER JUST BASED OFF LOOKS.

I CANT WAIT!

bridegur

Anyone with a thimble-ful's worth of vision should be able to see the possibilities here. Control will obviously rely more on gestures than rather than skill manipulating a keyboard full of buttons.

Exactly. I think it's going to be fantastic and I was expecting a disaster. People who are already doubting it are ridiculous.

----

Banned
My initial reaction was like everyone elses, but after reading the article at G4 I get it now. People are over reacting. I really thought Nintendo screwed the pooch when I saw the pics, but then I read about all the functionality and versatility of the controller and I think it's actually a well thought out strategy.

The most important thing to understand is for traditional 3rd party games the Gamecube controllers will be used. The Revolution has 4 ports for Gamecube controllers.

The next thing to understand is that this is not just an infrared remote control that can be turned sideways for NES games. There is a hell of a lot of advanced technology packaged into that controller. The fact that it functions like a mouse in 3D space is pretty impressive. You've got pointer/lightgun functionality, you've got gyroscopes that can precisely control items and views just by waving the remote around, and you've got rumble feedback to make the experience more immersive.

I am by no means a big Nintendo fan, but I think this technology isn't as ridiculous as some people are acting. I think it's no more silly than if Sony were to bundle Eye Toy in with PS3. This gesture sensitive controller seems much more practical and advanced than Eye Toy though. So long as you can still use traditional Gamecube controllers, I don't really see this as being that big of a gamble or risk on Nintendo's part.

puck1337

I'm intrigued, but let me say that nobody is going to rip off that shit. It's way too fucking crazy. I don't even know how they'll convince people to use it.

crunker99

Not to mention the fact that do u really think a young kid is going to be able to work this controller well?

Younger audience is still a big part of N sales

koam

BTW, it's no longer the "Revolution", look at the console, they removed the "Revolution" branding from the name.

Prine

Banned
Its fucking scary how i almost got the revo design down. Remember tat "paint rev controller" thread?

This looks awfully similar to my design, which was a parody at the time :lol

Jagernaut

This controller may be fine for whatever wacky 1st party games Nintendo makes, but for traditional games it is going to be horrible. The Rev will have worse 3rd party support than the GC.

jluedtke

Nintendo is teh doom3zorz!

Grow up, for Christ's sake...

I think this truly backs up Nintendo's line over the last few years that they are trying to separate themselves from the market. The fact that there are people here who would rather keep going down the same path and jump to conclusions than try something new really amuses me.

Now having said that, this could suck, I admit. But I'm willing to give it a shot. The possibilities are really exciting. And the lack of 3rd party ports doesn't bother me. I couldn't give a shit about playing some crap-ass licensed title or a me-too GTA ripoff. I want unique experiences, and this has the potential to give me some.

After all, it's my opinion that if Nintendo tried to compete with Sony and Microsoft, they'd eventually wind up like our friends at Sega. At least they're trying to differentiate themselves. That deserves respect.

The short cord does look like an issue.

Also the resolution of sensitivity of the controller I think will be key. If it is on par with the fine grain movement of a mouse, this thing will be killer.

The impressions on 1up make it sound pretty cool, especially for a secondary console. People are getting too caught up in the (admittedly funny) fact that it looks like a remote.

fse

philipscdi6sc8yv.jpg

:(

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
wow, just wow.

Nintendo is definitely not a player in the same market as Sony / MS anymore.

I can totally see my girlfriend digging something like that, but no way in hell is she spending $300 on a console. The big N better make it affordable, and quickly.

Flakster99

I'm impressed and shocked! Reading the hands on impressions help quell some of my initial shock, and thus far, I'm anticipating Nintendo's software!

Mrbob

---- said:
My initial reaction was like everyone elses, but after reading the article at G4 I get it now. People are over reacting. I really thought Nintendo screwed the pooch when I saw the pics, but then I read about all the functionality and versatility of the controller and I think it's actually a well thought out strategy.

The most important thing to understand is for traditional 3rd party games the Gamecube controllers will be used. The Revolution has 4 ports for Gamecube controllers.

The next thing to understand is that this is not just an infrared remote control that can be turned sideways for NES games. There is a hell of a lot of advanced technology packaged into that controller. The fact that it functions like a mouse in 3D space is pretty impressive. You've got pointer/lightgun functionality, you've got gyroscopes that can precisely control items and views just by waving the remote around, and you've got rumble feedback to make the experience more immersive.

I am by no means a big Nintendo fan, but I think this technology isn't as ridiculous as some people are acting. I think it's no more silly than if Sony were to bundle Eye Toy in with PS3. So long as you can still use traditional Gamecube controllers, I don't really see this as being that big of a gamble or risk on Nintendo's part.

Unfortunately the Gamecube controller is the worst controller for 3rd party games. Especially with the sexy redesigned X360 pad hitting.

raYne

I've been reading IGN's possible uses/controls for the Rev controller over the different genres and unsurprisingly the vast majority of them look stupid. :/

The only thing remotely "good" is the posible driving game controls. Hold the controller nes style and tilt to turn etc.

What you lovers of the controller fail to understand is that the biggest problem with it, other than the "wtf?", is the lack of buttons. Older controller support or not the GC controller still had less buttons than the other controllers this gen and that already caused all sorts of problems with 3rd party games. And the Rev controller has less than that!

mivery

I think that it is one of the best looking thing i have ever seen in my life. It is some thing diff. I dont know why everyone is bitching about.

"BUSH DONT LIKE BLACKS" Kanye West

KeithFranklin said:
Just take a couple of remotes (To simulate the controller and attachment) and hold out in front of you for awhile simulating movements you would make. How do your arms feel after say 30 minutes.

You don't need to hold it in front of you...

@Archaix
Oh, wait. GBA has four buttons.

This remotable-whatever will have 2 buttons(+ Start, Select etc.) and the second... part of the controller will also have 2 buttons(or atleast the analog attachment).

Actually I just want to know when this freaking thing launches and where I can preorder :lol It's crazy, it's from Nintendo, it's probably quite cheap and it seems to work really good(according to 1up and IGN)!

... 5.30am right now in Germany, time to sleep :D

Papi

It sounds like it's going to force me to sit up facing the TV instead of lying on the couch to play. Doomed! :(

OMG. Imagine all the moves you could do in a fighter using a 3D mouse.

Ya know, now that I've had some time to digest this thing, I seriously want to see what they do with this.

When I first saw this, I was thinking "how the hell am I gonna play "x" game on there? What about "y?" Then I started realizing that they games on the Rev, would be completely redefined for better or worse. This IS Nintendo thinking outside the box, and whether or not it works and succeeds is the big question.

There are a lot of comments so far like "say goodbye to third party ports, etc." I think that's EXACTLY what Nintendo wanted to do. Look at sales of 3rd party ports on the GC, as opposed to anywhere else... they're usually by far the worst, and are continuing to decline. I think they realized that if they just repeated the same stuff with beefed up graphics and a "gimmick," they'd be SOL in 5 years. They didn't want to make another Wavebird with a gyro control... they wanted something wholely unique, and in that sense, they succeeded.

Consider me intrigued.

BY THE WAY YOU GUYS WHO ARE POSTING ":lol" ARE FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT, FUCK YOURSELVES.

YES LETS NOT GIVE IT A CHANCE BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE A REMOTE CONTROL LOL ROFL FROLFLFF FUCKING FUCKERS

blahness

Diffense said:
Anyone with a thimble-ful's worth of vision should be able to see the possibilities here. Control will obviously rely more on gestures than rather than skill manipulating a keyboard full of buttons.

Whether you like it or not it IS a revolution.

EXACTLY

imagine playing zelda with this thing... swinging the controller like a sword, moving the controller back towards you to pull back a bow, flicking your wrist to throw a boomerang, casting it like a fishing pole.

methodman

Banned
After reading the impressions/ ideas for games from ign, gamespot etc., I gotta admit im intrigued.

If one of the first games out is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, How they going to work that? You only really need a couple buttons for RPGS, and all the gestures could make you have some interface on your screen; which is fucking awesome.

Strategy games are going to be so fun too, FPS, wow, this seems like a pretty good idea actually. Just hope they have a low wait on the controller...

Also:
"Game control is essential - it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made," said John Schappert, Sr. Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts Canada. "While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this novel 'freehand' type of control has to offer."
-Ign.com (forgot the link heh)

puck1337

crunker99 said:
Not to mention the fact that do u really think a young kid is going to be able to work this controller well?

Younger audience is still a big part of N sales
This seems very geared towards ease of play. I don't think that people will have trouble with it - if they can bring themselves to give it a chance.

DumbNameD

Hm, it's a mouse plus analog stick. Move mario with the analog, control camera with the tilt, jump with A, duck with B, zoom Z1. Move bond with analog, aim with the remote, shoot with B, reload with A, weapon select with the d-pad, hold z1 and tilt to look around corners, z2 to use item. Might need another button next to the A.

dark10x said:
I would not wish to see traditional games wasted on that hardware... Get my traditional games on X360 and PS3...and some unique stuff on Rev.
My thoughts exactly.

I think it's a neat idea, but the onus is entirely up to Nintendo to deliver intriguing experiences for such a device. I have my doubts that they will come up with much that I will want to play with it; I ain't never been too keen on Mario & Co. doing misc things.

I do wonder, though, if one's arm will get tired of constantly pointing the remote at the screen.

Deku

Banned
I like the aesthetics of the whole package.

Contrller wise, it's very hard to judge how it will work without trying some games for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom