• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ infinite now out on PC, with full VR support, 20% discount at launch (19.99).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How is this in VR? I have it on playstation without a PSVR, but I own a Vive. Just wondering if it's worth double-dipping for the VR experience.

Totally, totally worth it if you replay REZ everyone once and a while. Its awesome.

The latest update fixed the Area 2 boss camera, nice. No problems this time.

I'm trying to play this with an Oculus DK2 using "other VR" from Steam with a GTX 970, and for some reason the game keeps running sluggishly and the music gets out of sync. I've tried dialing down everything - resolution 80%, medium textures, minimum filtering, but nothing has helped so far. Any outside settings I should check? Area X seems to work much better.

edit: Down to 50%, doesn't help. :(

How is this in VR? I have it on playstation without a PSVR, but I own a Vive. Just wondering if it's worth double-dipping for the VR experience.

It's great. Area X in VR is pretty stunning. I'd say it was close to the difference between Thumper in and out of VR. Playing the two is like night and day.

datsunzep

Did my first score attack on area 1. thought I was gonna break the top 10, but only hit the top 20.

BHWPQi0.png

datsunzep

Wait, there's leaderboards now? I remember them not being there at launch on PS4

There's been leaderboards since Rez HD. I remember being in the top 5 on area 5 for a week when it launched. lol

I don't have a PS4, so I can't comment on if they had them as well.

Eolz

There's been leaderboards since Rez HD. I remember being in the top 5 on area 5 for a week when it launched. lol

I don't have a PS4, so I can't comment on if they had them as well.

Yeah, I had Rez HD too lol. I just don't remember the PS4 version having it at launch, which was a disappointment. Will check later, but even better if they're in Infinite now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yeah, I had Rez HD too lol. I just don't remember the PS4 version having it at launch, which was a disappointment. Will check later, but even better if they're in Infinite now.

The articles suggest that this is one of PC's exclusive features
As you would hope for a PC edition, flexibility is brought to the fore with a comprehensive range of display and control options. You can play Rez Infinite on PC using a controller or mouse and keyboard and, in VR, with headset head tracking, Oculus' Touch controllers or the Vive wands. As added bonuses, you get online leaderboards, a View Mode that lets you pause the game and look around (terrific in VR), and even higher resolution textures than the PS4 game. Buy Rez Infinite on PC in its first month on sale and you get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe edition, which includes a seven-track soundtrack sampler, a digital art book sampler and some desktop wallpapers and avatars.

The transition to PC from PS4 has also seen the addition of online leaderboards, full 3D audio, improved VR options and Area X unlocked from the start.

Played through the first two levels in VR today. Yep, it's really good.

One thing I can't help wondering though: why did they leave it in third person? They could have gotten rid of that on screen character and change the projectiles to move towards ME rather than him. I think it would have made for a much more visceral experience.

120v

Played through the first two levels in VR today. IYep, it's really good.

One thing I can't help wondering though: why did they leave it in third person? They could have gotten rid of that on screen character and change the projectiles to move towards ME rather than him. I think it would have made for a much more visceral experience.

i think the game just wasn't designed for first person... like how the avatar represents your 'health', how you can scope all enemies, ect.

hopefully the sequel or spiritual successor remedies that, assuming it's going to be tailor made around VR this time.

Kinda curious what settings fellow 1070 users are using for VR?

Seemingly just got a sudden crash during the boss fight on Area 3, threw me back to the main menu :(

i think the game just wasn't designed for first person... like how the avatar represents your 'health', how you can scope all enemies, ect.

I get that it wasn't designed that way, but I don't think it would really change all that much. Scoping out enemies wouldn't be such a problem in VR because you can move your head.

It shouldn't be that hard to find another way to represent health. Heck, this game keeps its HUD in VR mode, so you could just add it there.

Izuna

Banned
Normal game ran 4k with 250 scaling, maxed with 4xmsaa since it is locked to 60

Area X, I want to lock to 144hz and I was tweaking but I realised I a just going to play this game in VR anyway.

Sucks that there is no legit fullscreen

8bit

Knows the Score
Played through the first two levels in VR today. IYep, it's really good.

There is one mode from the original release that's designed for first person, Trance Mission / P-Project by Oval. It's overwhelming, but probably quite something in VR.

robotrock

Banned
Normal game ran 4k with 250 scaling, maxed with 4xmsaa since it is locked to 60

Area X, I want to lock to 144hz and I was tweaking but I realised I a just going to play this game in VR anyway.

Sucks that there is no legit fullscreen

what gpu?

Kinda curious what settings fellow 1070 users are using for VR?

Seemingly just got a sudden crash during the boss fight on Area 3, threw me back to the main menu :(

Yeah, I've had my share of crashes in any area where it just boots me back to the main menu. Keep hoping i'll see a patch one of these days.

Dumb question, but what portion of this game is in VR? Never bought it on PS4 because I always dreamed this day would come, but my Rift is packed away and if it's just the one area I'm not sure I can be bothered setting it all up.

MaDKaT

I was sweatin it last night in Area X when the big whales swim through you. Shit made me blush.

But man, having the game all around you with the motion aiming is just the dream. It's the goddamn dream. The cubes on Area3 last night were transcendental.

Yeah, the game is something else. Was certainly sweating a bit. Wasnt sure I could finish Area X but then credits rolled and I felt shot down, lol.

NimbusD

Meh, I really wasn't taken by area x, maybe people hyped it too much, I though it was just getting started and then it ended and Iw as like... that's it?

Also not a fan at all of the free movement, it's clunky and I miss actually having a level design and not justbeing in a room with invisible walls.

Doesn't matter tho cuz the OG rez is something I'll replay forever.

phrostb

Neo Member
Anyone interested in working together to get a 100% save file?
I manged to unlock everything on the PS2 a long time ago and would like to do the same for this one. The problem is that it's a lot of work.. I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in maybe doing a co-op unlock campaign? So far I've only done the main game, Area X, Lost Area, and unlocked trance mission and boss rush mode. I already unlocked the second level of direct assualt. Maybe someone else wants to get started on score attack? Anyway, let me know if you guys are interested and I'll upload my save somewhere.

This is beautiful. Never played in HD before and I'm seeing details for the first time everywhere.

Thanks for the thread OP, I almost missed this!

Beat Area 5! I was pleasantly surprised to see that area get unlocked normally. On the Dreamcast, I remember reading that the level would only unlock once you 100%'d everything else; I had to download a save file and burn it to a CD in order to play. It was always the best level in the game, and I always thought it was a shame to have it locked away...

Now if that first person view in the extra modes didn't have such a high unlock requirement...

Gitaroo

Ppl with 970 should try 3200x1800 + 4x MSAA, I think its a good compromise in resolution for a cleaner graphics. Doubt anyone can tell it is not native 4k unless you zoom in 400%.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone interested in working together to get a 100% save file?
I manged to unlock everything on the PS2 a long time ago and would like to do the same for this one. The problem is that it's a lot of work.. I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in maybe doing a co-op unlock campaign? So far I've only done the main game, Area X, Lost Area, and unlocked trance mission. I was planning on starting direct assault next. Maybe someone else wants to get started on score attack? Anyway, let me know if you guys are interested and I'll upload my save somewhere.

Maybe, depends if the controls are as customisable as on the 360 and I can use an Elite controller. PS4 didn't allow mapping fire to trigger and I found it hard to go back to face buttons.

(I've completed areas 1-3 as a Morolian so I've put in a good few hours.)

kinggroin

Banned
Meh, I really wasn't taken by area x, maybe people hyped it too much, I though it was just getting started and then it ended and Iw as like... that's it?

Also not a fan at all of the free movement, it's clunky and I miss actually having a level design and not justbeing in a room with invisible walls.

Doesn't matter tho cuz the OG rez is something I'll replay forever.

Agreed. Wasn't even that impressed visually.

Much prefer OG style.

Durante

Does it matter whether I get it from Oculus store or Steam? I just got my Rift yesterday so still new to this ecosystem
The Oculus version is Oculus only.

The Steam version supports flat screen play, the OpenVR API, and the Oculus API (natively). If you ask me, it's the much better choice in the long term. (Never mind other ecosystem advantages like refunds etc.)

I believe PSVR version is 60 fps too. Its only Area X that's 90fps for both versions if I am not wrong.
As I've said many times, the SteamVR version at least absolutely does render at 90 FPS. This misconception is pretty persistent.

As I've said many times, the SteamVR version at least absolutely does render at 90 FPS. This misconception is pretty persistent.

Digital Foundry said:
Unfortunately, classic Rez does not fare quite as well. The issue is that the game appears to be designed for 60 frames per second. We already failed to uncap the frame-rate but, in VR, it seems that the 60Hz gameplay is forced to run at each headset's native 90Hz. The result is a visible double-image effect and motion simply isn't as smooth as it should be as a result. It's still enjoyable, but the game's legacy code seems to present a problem when running at higher frame-rates. I found that classic Rez was more likely to induce motion sickness.
From Digital Foundry's Rez Infinite's surprise PC port tested

Hey Dark10x, you around? What in your tests indicated that the game was running at 60fps? Any chance we could get this cleared up? :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The Steam version supports flat screen play, the OpenVR API, and the Oculus API (natively). If you ask me, it's the much better choice in the long term. (Never mind other ecosystem advantages like refunds etc.)

Ah thats great to hear

phrostb

Neo Member
Maybe, depends if the controls are as customisable as on the 360 and I can use an Elite controller. PS4 didn't allow mapping fire to trigger and I found it hard to go back to face buttons.

(I've completed areas 1-3 as a Morolian so I've put in a good few hours.)

well should we use my save file or yours? i thought you had to do all of the all 100% in every stage of play 10 hours to get morolian form? we should start working on whoever has more progress and then split the modes. Also, at first I was playing on my tv (because of the surround system) with a steam controller or xbox controller, but I quickly found that it was much easier with a mouse. I just got 98% on level 5 but it's very difficult to get 100% :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
As far as the 60fps goes.. I haven't seen anyone talk about the original game has some blur to it. I think that might be what people are excperiencing?

8bit

Knows the Score
well should we use my save file or yours? i thought you had to do all of the all 100% in every stage of play 10 hours to get morolian form? we should start working on whoever has more progress and then split the modes. Also, at first I was playing on my tv (because of the surround system) with a steam controller or xbox controller, but I quickly found that it was much easier with a mouse. I just got 98% on level 5 but it's very difficult to get 100% :(

I meant on the Dreamcast/360 versions, haven't bought it on Steam yet.

Vash63

Are you sure about that? I will need to try it again with the SteamVR developer windows up but area 1 was unplayably stuttery for me on my Vive. I'm pretty sensitive to framerate drops in VR and can get motion sick easily from them. Area X ran at a perfect 90FPS. This was on a GTX 1080.

From what I could tell anything in the legacy engine seemed locked to 60 but once it booted UE4 for Area X The cap was removed and it was buttery smooth.

Are you sure about that? I will need to try it again with the SteamVR developer windows up but area 1 was unplayably stuttery for me on my Vive. I'm pretty sensitive to framerate drops in VR and can get motion sick easily from them. Area X ran at a perfect 90FPS. This was on a GTX 1080.

From what I could tell anything in the legacy engine seemed locked to 60 but once it booted UE4 for Area X The cap was removed and it was buttery smooth.

I do not doubt what Durante is saying, but I think I actually experience something similar as you. There is something going on here that maybe isn't the case for everyone. Maybe some specific window display conflict of some sort (the game sometimes leaves the window and stalls.... if that makes any sense... probably not), I'm not technically minded enough to make any educational guesses. The old game feels absolutely less smooth than AreaX for me too (it's not stuttery to the point of being unplayable for me though, except the Area5 slowdown)

Vash63

I do not doubt what Durante is saying, but I think I actually experience something similar as you. There is something going on here that maybe isn't the case for everyone. Maybe some specific window display conflict of some sort (the game sometimes leaves the window and stalls.... if that makes any sense... probably not), I'm not technically minded enough to make any educational guesses. The old game feels absolutely less smooth than AreaX for me too (it's not stuttery to the point of being unplayable for me though, except the Area5 slowdown)

Are you playing in VR? On my monitor it looks perfectly playable in all areas but I didn't have a framerate display up. It's in VR that the legacy areas have a constant jitter to me. Maybe a frame pacing issue? Definitely didn't feel like a perfect 90FPS.

Are you playing in VR? On my monitor it looks perfectly playable in all areas but I didn't have a framerate display up. It's in VR that the legacy areas have a constant jitter to me. Maybe a frame pacing issue? Definitely didn't feel like a perfect 90FPS.

Yep, Vive, 120% res scale, mid textures... the settings don't really matter actually, it's always nearly the same.

robotrock

Banned

Yep, Vive, 120% res scale, mid textures... the settings don't really matter actually, it's always nearly the same.

Desktop looks smooth as hell and is more than playable, but yeah, Areas 1-5 in an Oculus feel off to me. Kind of choppy or whatever.

Area X is perfect though

Desktop looks smooth as hell and is more than playable, but yeah, Areas 1-5 in an Oculus feel off to me. Kind of choppy or whatever.

Area X is perfect though

wierd, areas 1-5 are perfect for me in oculus. Area X is choppy for me unless I play in Oculus mode instead of steamVR

Top Bottom