• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ infinite now out on PC, with full VR support, 20% discount at launch (19.99).

TSM

As I've said many times, the SteamVR version at least absolutely does render at 90 FPS. This misconception is pretty persistent.

Earlier in the thread one of the devs dropped in and confirmed that the original stages are locked at 60 due to the way the game was written.

Software capped at 60/90fps it seems? If yes, how quickly till we get an unlock fps community fix?
It's a music focused game. Frame rate is tied to the music. It's not happening.
(Mark from Enhance Games here) -- this is correct :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Earlier in the thread one of the devs dropped in and confirmed that the original stages are locked at 60 due to the way the game was written.

if thats the case, its 60fps on PSVR too then

insin

Neo Member
I really hope they fix the issues with the mix, but it seems to be a problem with the PS4 version too.

It's missing effects which were in the PS2 version and the whole mix seems really "low" in comparison. Many of the pieces which stood out in the PS2 version are really quiet and muted in Infinite.

For any other remaster it'd be a minor negative, but Rez is like a favourite album so sound issues are a big deal.

I did some no SFX runs of Area 1 so you can hear for yourself:

PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr4XqcJAI5U
PS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djW87f0X0w4

Check out the stab effect which gets introduced in layer level 02 and the entire boss battle, which really stood out as not being right on my first play.

Vash63

if thats the case, its 60fps on PSVR too then

This wouldn't be a major issue because PSVR is 120Hz - that would display without any frame cadence issues. This isn't the case on current PC VR which is 90Hz. I may need to wait for next gen PC VR to play worlds 1-5 in VR because the stutter gives me headaches in VR.

Desktop looks smooth as hell and is more than playable, but yeah, Areas 1-5 in an Oculus feel off to me. Kind of choppy or whatever.

Area X is perfect though

Yeah AreaX is absolutely flawless, performance wise.
It's not only the contrast of playing AreaX and the base game, maybe I have to check out the non VR game for once and see if the performance is also not as smooth for me and if I see the same slowdown (Area5) also in non VR.... I kinda don't want to play the game outside of VR anymore tho.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I can't get a definitive answer to this... does the game (actually) run in 90fps in VR or not? Some claim it does, some claim only the new stage do?

Am I having some kind of technical issue, or is Area X supposed to be kind of... weak in VR? There's a serious lack of presence, almost like I'm watching a 3d video rather than being placed inside a fully rendered environment. The original game seems to work perfectly, there's a full and powerful sense of presence, but Area X is just... flat. Like, the avatar in the original game feels like a definite 3d object set in the space in front of me, while the avatar in Area X might as well be a 2d sprite. It's not a total lack of presence, objects can feel tangible especially if they're very close, but it's very weak compared to the original game and other VR games I've played. Is it just me? I wanna be inside Area X so bad. :(

Am I having some kind of technical issue, or is Area X supposed to be kind of... weak in VR? There's a serious lack of presence, almost like I'm watching a 3d video rather than being placed inside a fully rendered environment. The original game seems to work perfectly, there's a full and powerful sense of presence, but Area X is just... flat. Like, the avatar in the original game feels like a definite 3d object set in the space in front of me, while the avatar in Area X might as well be a 2d sprite. It's not a total lack of presence, objects can feel tangible especially if they're very close, but it's very weak compared to the original game and other VR games I've played. Is it just me? I wanna be inside Area X so bad. :(
This seems to be a general problem with VR. The relative low resolution of the display means that a distant object may be rendered to the same pixels for both eyes and thus appear 2D. Thumper's bosses suffered the same fate.

Hopefully future VR displays, with a higher res, should alleviate this issue.

Tain

I can't get a definitive answer to this... does the game (actually) run in 90fps in VR or not? Some claim it does, some claim only the new stage do?

Because it's both: the game generates 90 fresh frames a second, but the world around you changes 60 times per second.

This seems to be a general problem with VR. The relative low resolution of the display means that a distant object may be rendered to the same pixels for both eyes and thus appear 2D. Thumper's bosses suffered the same fate.

Hopefully future VR displays, with a higher res, should alleviate this issue.

I did notice how flat Thumper's bosses and many distant objects in general look in VR, and I've wondered why that is. Thanks for the explanation. Still, Area X is different.

To use the avatar as an example again, in the original game it's in the mid-ground, not too far from the camera, directly ahead. It has a full sense of depth, I can gauge its size and distance. On the other hand, the avatar in Area X has no depth at all. I can vaguely gauge its distance, but that's all. The cube that appears right as you start overlaps with the avatar, it appears as if they're both 2d objects at the same distance away from the camera as one another, like they're being projected on a screen in front of me. They just lack depth. Is this how it's supposed to be?

For the record, I'm using a Rift but own the game on Steam, and I'm wondering if something's going wrong between Oculus' native rendering process and SteamVR. In Area X (and only Area X) I can still hear the chirping birds from SteamVR Home. Area X is a different executable from the original game, maybe something's going wrong when the transition is made?

"Presence" in abstract games like REZ is already a bit compromised by the way the game presents it's world and graphics imo. You're a floating camera here and AreaX ditches all surfaces that can easily identified as polygonal planes and it's slower and doesn't throw you around as much as the original. Environment doesn't change suddenly on you as it did in the original. The character model is also closer to your face, maybe the fov is also wider (not sure about that) there are some differences that could lead you to feel that way.

I still find the 3d'ness of AreaX pretty well done and obvious but all the things above make it a less "action oriented" experience in comparison, the original was clearly not designed with VR comfort considerations in mind, AreaX kinda is.

(Not sure if that even is what you've meant, I don't think it feels flat, as in not-3d, but from the perspective of presence it is not really strong in my book too)

For the record, I'm using a Rift but own the game on Steam, and I'm wondering if something's going wrong between Oculus' native rendering process and SteamVR. In Area X (and only Area X) I can still hear the chirping birds from SteamVR Home. Area X is a different executable from the original game, maybe something's going wrong when the transition is made?

That doesn not sound normal to me, usually the Steam VR home app closes down when another game is started.

Dineren

Banned

I've played through five or six times in the last few days and I haven't noticed any issues. My only thought at the end was that I wish the whole game had been like that.

Paragon

I'm very impressed that they have gone from not even displaying correctly on ultrawide screens, to patching in full ultrawide support in such a small space of time.
The game looks amazing with ultrawide support.

I just hope that they can fix the mouse input problems, where fast inputs are lagging/moving slower than slow inputs.

They patch in 21:9 support but don't test it? Enemies clip when outside of the 16:9 frame.
It's possible that they've patched it again since your comment, but I just updated the game and am only seeing power-ups clipping near the edge of the screen, not enemies.
This section in Area 1 has enemies covering the width of the screen and they don't disappear:
rezuw1x3sew.png

But the power-up that you get from killing them does get cut off when it gets near the edge.
It's possible that it's happening at "21:9" rather than the current aspect ratio. (3440x1440 is 21.5:9) I'm not sure if it now supports arbitrary aspect ratios or if it's hard-coded "21:9" support.

Well, it looks like I was right about something messing up in the transition between executables. I tried running the game through SteamVR alone, without the Oculus runtime, and Area X now has a much fuller sense of depth. Crazy.

I can't replicate what I was experiencing before either - now it doesn't matter whether I launch the game through Oculus Home or not, the sense of depth is the same. I honestly wish I could replicate it, just to know for certain that I'm not experiencing some crazy placebo effect here. The only remaining issue is that I can still hear SteamVR Home sounds while playing Area X, but that's easily worked around by turning the SteamVR Home Beta off and defaulting to the old blank, silent space.

robotrock

Banned
Well, it looks like I was right about something messing up in the transition between executables. I tried running the game through SteamVR alone, without the Oculus runtime, and Area X now has a much fuller sense of depth. Crazy.

I can't replicate what I was experiencing before either - now it doesn't matter whether I launch the game through Oculus Home or not, the sense of depth is the same. I honestly wish I could replicate it, just to know for certain that I'm not experiencing some crazy placebo effect here. The only remaining issue is that I can still hear SteamVR Home sounds while playing Area X, but that's easily worked around by turning the SteamVR Home Beta off and defaulting to the old blank, silent space.

There's a new patch out today that says it adds more 3D depth to Area X in Oculus VR. Any better?

There's a new patch out today that says it adds more 3D depth to Area X in Oculus VR. Any better?

...oh. I guess that explains it then! The arrival of this patch happened to coincide with me trying to boot the game without the Oculus runtime, so I misconstrued it. Good to know that I wasn't hallucinating anyway. Great job to the people at Enhance!

I really hope they fix the issues with the mix, but it seems to be a problem with the PS4 version too.

It's missing effects which were in the PS2 version and the whole mix seems really "low" in comparison. Many of the pieces which stood out in the PS2 version are really quiet and muted in Infinite.

For any other remaster it'd be a minor negative, but Rez is like a favourite album so sound issues are a big deal.

I did some no SFX runs of Area 1 so you can hear for yourself:

PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr4XqcJAI5U
PS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djW87f0X0w4

Check out the stab effect which gets introduced in layer level 02 and the entire boss battle, which really stood out as not being right on my first play.

TBH, the PS2 version sounds off. Compare Layer Level 1 with the Dreamcast version: https://youtu.be/LHDZfWcbBY8?t=1m10s.

Paragon

It's now been four weeks since the last update. Is it time to give up hope, and accept that it's yet another Japanese game on Steam with broken mouse support?

Looking at the Steam Spy stats, it seems to have sold <20,000 copies which is disappointing, but I don't really know what kind of numbers a game like Rez does.
It's a late port of a game that's been re-released many times now, so I guess the sales potential was always going to be low.
The announcement came out of nowhere, and from visiting PC-centric sites, it doesn't seem like many people that are only PC gamers really knew what Rez was. I also wonder how Rez holds up as a new experience today, for someone that never played the original back in 2001.

Without continuing sales, I guess that's probably it now.
I am glad that they not only fixed the game on ultrawide displays, but patched in proper ultrawide support - it looks fantastic.
It's frustrating that the only way to play this is with a controller though.

Top Bottom