• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REZ infinite now out on PC, with full VR support, 20% discount at launch (19.99).

I finally did it.

I bought Rez on release for the Dreamcast. Loved it, got to Area 5, and kept alllllmost beating it but not quite.

Got Rez HD for the 360... same story.

Picked up Rez Infinite, cranked it to 4k... and realized that I've never actually used the Overdrive. Like, ever. Finally beat Area 5, after 15 years.

Time to fire up the Vive and check out Area X! :)

120v

can't believe we live in a world where i can casually plop on a headset and play Rez in VR. me from 10 years ago would never be able to fathom that

funny thing about all this though is i never knew there was a Rez HD on 360... like, WTF. and it's like my favorite game ever

Persona7

Banned
I wish I could remember where I saw this project where this array of LED lights hooked into rez on an emulator to provide a light show of sorts while playing.

MazeHaze

Banned
How do you change it so your head doesn't control the cursor? Cant find the option for the life of me.

Edit: nvmnd found it. Any tips for newbs tho? I keep getting killed by the area 2 boss, after the 3rd time playing alllll the way through the level it stops being fun :(

I played REZ in PSVR and all the way to the end. Then I tried to play it 2D and nope.

glad everyone can now enjoy the game the way it's meant to be played (in VR)

How do you change it so your head doesn't control the cursor? Cant find the option for the life of me.

Edit: nvmnd found it. Any tips for newbs tho? I keep getting killed by the area 2 boss, after the 3rd time playing alllll the way through the level it stops being fun :(

i think it's like the first option in vr settings

you wanna go with the second option, where your controller controls where u aim.

<edit>

should have read your edit.

make sure your paying attention to your body on that boss. you might be shooting stuff further up, while things closer to your body are attacking you. so attack whats near your body first always.

Boss 2 is always the hardest for me. Here's how I get through it:
- If he's shooting any yellow stuff at you, just tap your shot button repeatedly instead of holding it to lock on.
- Memorize the pattern of buttons on the big circle and use a single lockon for each wave.
- Save at least two bombs for when the plant structures grow out and attack you. Use a bomb whenever the attack gets too close.
- If it's too hard, try to not do too well in the stage itself, so that you get Mars (Mega) instead of Mars (Giga) or Mars (Tera).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man this is so sooo good in VR its amazing!!!!!!!!

Soi-Fong

Area X in VR is legit an experience to not be missed in VR. I feel like what Area X gave me in terms of feeling would have been hampered by a 2D screen.

Just the whole experience is amplified a 100x in VR. It's that good!

Soi-Fong

VR support!?! BOUGHT

wouldn't it be better to buy on Steam tho, since you'd be able to play with or without VR at your discretion?

The Oculus version you can play on the desktop as well.

Anyway, I have a Steam key now too. I just bought the 888 Edition off iAm8bit just because of Area X just to support these guys.

Area X just blew my mind. Period. I want more from Mizaguchi in VR.

Feep

Banned
Good lord at VR Area X.

If I could bring this with me to Burning Man, I would, but the practical issues are too significant.

MaDKaT

Now that this is done, wonder if the team will ever get down to porting Child of Eden to VR.

Oh that would be great since I didn't play my copy on PS3.

Tried playing again last night on my 4K TV and it just isnt the same, lol. Certainly looks cool but it is such a trip in VR and I want more. Hope the PC release does well enough to show that there is interest in more.

Tried playing this with a mouse last night... does the cursor feel off to anyone else? Seems like the mouse is trying to simulate a joystick, or something weird like that.

21:9 users, there's just been a patch that seems to have semi-fixed the issue. 2560x1080 no longer stretches weirdly off the top of the screen, but the game still renders at 16:9 with black bars left/right.

Hopefully true 21:9 support comes soon!

Paragon

21:9 users, there's just been a patch that seems to have semi-fixed the issue. 2560x1080 no longer stretches weirdly off the top of the screen, but the game still renders at 16:9 with black bars left/right.
Hopefully true 21:9 support comes soon!
I was just about to post the same thing. I can confirm that it's at least playable with pillarboxing on ultrawide displays now.
Be sure to select a 16:9 resolution though, as selecting 3440x1440 seems to be rendering a stretched image at that resolution and then scaling it to 2560x1440 to pillarbox it, resulting in things like overlays being squashed - but that's a very minor issue.
rez-overlaytxsze.png
rezoverlayydsqd.png

However now that I can play it, I can see that the mouse input is terrible!
Moving the mouse slowly works fine, but if you move quickly there's severe lag/negative-acceleration on the reticle.
Increasing the sensitivity in-game seems to reduce it a little, but it's still really bad.

I can understand ultrawide resolutions maybe not being part of typical testing, but no-one tried playing it with a mouse?
The fact that they already patched the game this quickly is encouraging though. Let's hope they can fix it.

sbkodama

Tried playing this with a mouse last night... does the cursor feel off to anyone else? Seems like the mouse is trying to simulate a joystick, or something weird like that.

I had no problem with mouse control, but I have directly set it's sensibility to the max so maybe it reduce the issue.

Area X murders my 970 in VR. Think I need to dial the defaults down.

980ti, was mostly smooth but in Area5 there is definitely slowdown going on. I overenthusiastically set the graphics to 150% resolution and most other settings to max. Wasn't really problematic but in Level 5 when you look at the ground and enemies come out of the ground then it slows down heavilly for me and the music gets out of sync.

After that lowered the settings to 120% and set most of the other stuff to medium. The slowdown was nearly the same, same area. I tested the situation a bit by looking at the ground and the enemies in that area and then I looked straight up in the sky. The slowdown disappears when you don't look at that spot and comes right back when you look at it again.

I havent set all settings to standard yet, maybe I give this a shot later but I dounbt it will change anything in that are (have yet to play AreaX because game crashed twice before I could play it)

zeioIIDX

I have to say, I enjoyed playing the main game a bit more than Area X. I was expecting Area X to be transcendental lol...and yeah, it was pretty to look at and the music is great...but it kinda just made me ever so slightly motion sick (from looking in various directions in order to turn the character around). Loved the game on PS2 so playing the main game in VR with the vibrating controller is an awesome experience. I just wish the vibrations occurred in both controllers, not just the one you're using.

theRizzle

Maybe because I have the Steam version...which does not launch from Oculus Home even though the icon was imported. Hmm.

I'll take a look. Maybe I have some runaway processes or something.

I noticed recently (might have been a Steam update after Oculus added in support for adding the Steam games) that when I try and launch a Steam game from Oculus Home, it doesn't work because a Steam window pops up on the Desktop asking for permission to run from an outside source or something. I didn't really realize at first because I had the headset on already.

MaDKaT

I have to say, I enjoyed playing the main game a bit more than Area X. I was expecting Area X to be transcendental lol...and yeah, it was pretty to look at and the music is great...but it kinda just made me ever so slightly motion sick (from looking in various directions in order to turn the character around). Loved the game on PS2 so playing the main game in VR with the vibrating controller is an awesome experience. I just wish the vibrations occurred in both controllers, not just the one you're using.

There is an option in the menu to turn on vibration for extra controllers. Flipped it on last night for the Vive and both wands vibrate.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Bought again! Needed something to play with the Oculus which I plan to hookup this weekend!

Sami+

I was just about to post the same thing. I can confirm that it's at least playable with pillarboxing on ultrawide displays now.
Be sure to select a 16:9 resolution though, as selecting 3440x1440 seems to be rendering a stretched image at that resolution and then scaling it to 2560x1440 to pillarbox it, resulting in things like overlays being squashed - but that's a very minor issue.

However now that I can play it, I can see that the mouse input is terrible!
Moving the mouse slowly works fine, but if you move quickly there's severe lag/negative-acceleration on the reticle.
Increasing the sensitivity in-game seems to reduce it a little, but it's still really bad.

I can understand ultrawide resolutions maybe not being part of typical testing, but no-one tried playing it with a mouse?
The fact that they already patched the game this quickly is encouraging though. Let's hope they can fix it.

Nice, I guess I'll get it again soon then. :)

I noticed recently (might have been a Steam update after Oculus added in support for adding the Steam games) that when I try and launch a Steam game from Oculus Home, it doesn't work because a Steam window pops up on the Desktop asking for permission to run from an outside source or something. I didn't really realize at first because I had the headset on already.

This definitely has happened to me in Racket NX.

But, enough of me whining about my video card, there's a little zero form guy floating in my Oculus Home even though I bought the game on Steam. That's awesome. Side question: Any other games that affect the Home environment like that?

Holy shit Rez looks good in VR. Area X was borderline emotional, I hope that a new game is being made with design like that.

Bumping up the render resolution to 200% makes the game so sharp. God, Rez is so good.

Snagret

Area X is absolutely beautiful, but I feel like having full control of your character's movement through a three dimensional space was an unnecessary distraction. It's really hard to switch from the on-rails style of OG Rez to Area X, there were several moments I forgot I needed to control my character and was like "why did stuff stop happen- oh right, duh", or ended up facing the opposite direction of the objective and having to sloooowly pan the camera around behind me. Playing the non-vr version with a standard controller, maybe it's different with the motion controls or a mouse.

MaDKaT

Holy shit Rez looks good in VR. Area X was borderline emotional, I hope that a new game is being made with design like that.

Bumping up the render resolution to 200% makes the game so sharp. God, Rez is so good.

No joke. Played the game a bunch on the PS2 and it was like playing it for the first time again in VR. I really hope something new is in the works. More than just idle talk.

Jzero

Just beat the game in VR. Lord have mercy area 5 is so freaking good, especially that boss. This thing was made to get high to.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Not too high. Can be overwhelming.
I was sweatin it last night in Area X when the big whales swim through you. Shit made me blush.

But man, having the game all around you with the motion aiming is just the dream. It's the goddamn dream. The cubes on Area3 last night were transcendental.

Dinjoralo

The mouse aiming is definitely weird. It's got a bit of a speed cap, but it's not negative acceleration. Like, the game-cursor moves to where your mouse-cursor is, but at a set speed, and the option for "mouse speed" changes that set speed, rather than the sensitivity. But I have used far, far worse, and I'm pretty sure it's actually raw input just like how it works in the menu. But the vertical sensitivity seems to be way higher than the horizontal... I dunno.

Vash63

60FPS lock makes it a stuttering mess in VR unfortunately. The new area is amazing though in both flat and VR and overall it's a really nice port. Definitely worth the $20.

bigmac996

How is this in VR? I have it on playstation without a PSVR, but I own a Vive. Just wondering if it's worth double-dipping for the VR experience.

Top Bottom