• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

pariah164

Also, some glaring omissions:

- The Bon Dance and the fireworks game from the GBA version. I understand both were VERY Japanese, but there had to be some way to localize them.

- The turnip stomping game. Really? You had to cut that one?

- The 'Our Generation' stage from Fever. Yes, it was basically a revamped Night Walk, but I love that song.

Javier

What the hell is with Quiz Show? Compared to everything else in this game it sticks out as such a sore thumb. By Rhythm Heaven standards I don't think it even COUNTS as a game.

pariah164

What the hell is with Quiz Show? Compared to everything else in this game it sticks out as such a sore thumb. By Rhythm Heaven standards I don't think it even COUNTS as a game.
It was in the original Rhythm Tengoku on GBA. It's more about timing then rhythm.

Lelcar

OK, this game is amazing and it's seemingly going on forever,
(I'm in Heaven World now)
definitely worth full price. At first I didn't think the Remix towers would be in the game, but they totally are! I loved RH Fever, but disliked the previous DS game, so I didn't know how I would take to this one and I'm glad that it is fantastic.

I just need to perfect the Final Remix and I'll have all the games perfected. I keep messing up in the Megamix section of the level.

Got this game recently and have been playing through it. I believe I'm in the final area of the game now
Mamarin palace
, so I wanted to give some brief thoughts. For the record, the only other Rhythm Heaven game I played was the DS one, and I loved it.

First of all, they weren't kidding with the "mega" part of megamix. The game has a lot of content. Lots of games to play, lots of stuff to unlock. That and the fact that they redrew the graphics for some of the older games makes the game feel like it has a surprising amount of effort put into it. Really sets the standard for compilation games.

It also feels like the developers took fan feedback to heart. The more transparent scoring system is great. Including Japanese audio was really nice. And, although I'm personally disappointed that the swipe actions from the DS game are gone, I remember most people hated that so it feels like the developers were listening.

One thing that stuck out to me is that the in terms of series chronology, the games really improved as they went along. Generally speaking (there are exceptions): GBA games < DS games < Wii games < new games. Actually the GBA games are surprisingly dull compared to the others -- I think the only GBA game I really, really like is Power Calligraphy.

The game has a couple of down parts: The story is a bit of a drag and the gate challenges are mostly not fun (though they kindly let you skip if you run out of coins). But on the whole the game overdelivers so much in the content department that it more than makes up for these flaws. Definitely a 5/5 for me, feels like the perfect Rhythm Heaven game.

Also, quick question for people: what games do you recommend I prioritize unlocking from the shop? I probably won't be able to get that many... They're pretty expensive. The only one I have now is Double Date.

pariah164

Also, quick question for people: what games do you recommend I prioritize unlocking from the shop? I probably won't be able to get that many... They're pretty expensive. The only one I have now is Double Date.
Monkey Watch, Fork Lifter, The Dazzles, and Packing Pests are my personal favorites in the bunch. And yeah, it's nuts how expensive some of them are.

derFeef

I just played the demo of the EU version of this and I am loving it. I bought a N3DSXL recently, my first ever Nintendo handheld and was always interested in those games. I was sad when I realized all the regional things there is with the eshop (and Nintendo in general, still confused about import game etc.) and the late October launch for the EU version. I can't wait for the final game - this is amazing, cute, funny.

RedSwirl

Just played the demo. I didn't realize this was a greatest hits.

Is it worth it though if I never finished Fever?

Melkaz

The game is coming out this week in Europe. It's available digitally on the 20th, a day earlier than retail it seems.

I never played any of the games in the series but the demo was quite fun! Think I might bite even though I'm terrible at rhythm games :( Only one way to improve.

derFeef

The game is coming out this week in Europe. It's available digitally on the 20th, a day earlier than retail it seems.

I never played any of the games in the series but the demo was quite fun! Think I might bite even though I'm terrible at rhythm games :( Only one way to improve.

Oh my god finally!

-shadow-

I'm pumped for this game and will pick it up by the end of the month. I love this series! Never do finished the Wii game perfect though. Some of those remixes are insane!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a great game but as a Rhythm Heaven fanatic it didn't give me the same joyous feeling as a genuinely new entry. I had fun and the challenge mode freshened things up somewhat, but having already perfected the GBA, DS and Wii games I breezed through most of it without really thinking.

I hope we do get a real Rhythm Heaven sequel in the future, though I know Tsunku's poor health makes that unlikely.

tauroxd

Monkey Watch, Fork Lifter, The Dazzles, and Packing Pests are my personal favorites in the bunch. And yeah, it's nuts how expensive some of them are.

I'm reading this now... You are a monster for wanting someone to play Monkey Watch... :'( I suffered so much with that on Fever... I'm, not wasting my time unlocking it :'(

In my opinion The Dazzles and Double Date are a must.

Vibed

I'm reading this now... You are a monster for wanting someone to play Monkey Watch... :'( I suffered so much with that on Fever... I'm, not wasting my time unlocking it :'(

I believe I actually perfected Monkey Watch on Megamix, but in Fever it's still one of the last ones I haven't perfected. Megamix has a helpful gauge on the bottom screen that tells if you are early or late, which helped keep me from zoning out or getting lazy with such a long, consistent, rhythm.

Javier

I got a Perfect on Monkey Watch on Megamix at like, the second try. Never played Fever, either.

It probably helped that I freaking LOVE the music in Monkey Watch.

pariah164

Hey, I genuinely enjoyed it. One of my favorites. Sorry it's not that way for you.

I like Double Date as well.

Glix

I don't play this game enough but whenever I get a session in I have a huge ass grin on my face.

Its just so fun and awesome and scratches a certain itch.

Kenstar

1234 1234 1234 is the general rhythm for monkey watch, hitting A on the 3rd beat
when the 2 pink ones come it changes to 1234, hitting on 2 and 4

so 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 and so on if that helps

If you have trouble try counting out loud

Jazzem

Playing my copy which arrived from GAME today :D

...damn my insistence on doing the coin toss on paprika difficulty, I keep missing the fifteenth(/last) catch ;_;

Picked this up earlier today, its so much fun. Wasn't planning on getting this, but i remember how excited people were when this got announced, so i figured i'd give it a shot. Glad i did, can't stop playing :')

I'll ask here. What's the deal with Lock Step? Literally every other game goes just fine for me, even games with the same pattern at the same (or faster!) tempo, but with Lock Step I just keep drifting early or late. Is there some trick to this one?

Jazzem

Oh man, I think this is my favourite 3DS game, just how previous entries were for me on their systems more or less. I'm smiling like a complete goon playing it :D

I'll ask here. What's the deal with Lock Step? Literally every other game goes just fine for me, even games with the same pattern at the same (or faster!) tempo, but with Lock Step I just keep drifting early or late. Is there some trick to this one?

It's such a hard one to click with as you have to be off beat, so try to force yourself to press A when you would think you wouldn't have to. It's basically about breaking the previous habit and establishing a new one :)

It's such a hard one to click with as you have to be off beat, so try to force yourself to press A when you would think you wouldn't have to. It's basically about breaking the previous habit and establishing a new one :)
No, I get that... But for some reason the game keeps docking me for being early or late, even in the non-syncopated parts. Maybe I'll practice with a metronome to see if I really am as off as it says.

Fireblend

Banned
I loved this game but now that I cleared the campaign the prospect of having to gather a huge number of orbs to unlock all of the minigames is dizzying @_@ any idea which I should prioritize? I specially don't know the Wii ones.

Loptous

Started this a few days ago.

I'll NEVER be good at Glee Club.
Also, any tip for the third gate challenge? Only managed to beat the easy one...

Steiner

Banned

I'm a musician, have great rhythm, and had cleared everything with a gold pedestal except for Lock Step. It was the only game that gave me trouble. Here's what I did to finally get the gold.
1. Switch to simple tap controls and use the stylus
2. Hold your 3DS in such a way that you can tap with the stylus in one hand and tap one of your fingers on your other hand to keep the off rhythm.

Keeping time with both hands throughout the game helped me a lot, and the tap controls are the only way I'd ever clear that. The button press is a little too sensitive for that game. Other than that, just getting used to the voice cue for when to switch up is the tricky part. You'll get it in 2 or 3 tries once you switch to simple tap and keep time with both hands. I did, anyway.

Started this a few days ago.

I'll NEVER be good at Glee Club.
Also, any tip for the third gate challenge? Only managed to beat the easy one...
Remind me - which challenge is the third gate? The car thing?

Steiner

Banned

Just count out loud. And remember to let go on the number AFTER the number you're counting to. So in other words when you need 8 counts to get to the next platform just count out loud with the music, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9!" And let go on 9. It's a pretty straight-forward game.

Gonna download the demo - loved the original on DS.
My other half took it on holiday with us this year again, it's an all time favourite of hers.
You guys will love it. One of my GOTY for sure. I live in the U.S. and you'll be happy to know that after months of playtime, after playing almost *constantly* when it first came out, I still boot it up at least once or twice a week. Such a great value, too. You get a lot for the buying price.

dc89

Gonna download the demo - loved the original on DS.
My other half took it on holiday with us this year again, it's an all time favourite of hers.

llehuty

I love this series, but the pacing of the game in the beginning is killing me. I know the game gets better early on, with the remixes and everything, but this slog at the beginning, interrupted after every minigmae with some pointless dialogue.

I feel like they ahve missed the mark, although I could see this game being the favourite for newcomers, since they ahve dumbed down the minigames at the beginning, removing the most challenging elements.

Still good, but nothing like a new fresh rhythm tengoku were you get stuck every other level and have to replay them several times. And going to a different minigame was super snappy. Oh well, can't complain, becasue I still love some of the old minigames, and the new ones are so lovely with the little quirky moments
The alien translation one made me chuckle with those cuts to the people watching it, and I loved the bear glare in the cutting wood minigame).

Hope it picks up the pace fast.

Also, caligraphy remains the best minigame in the series. That music, the tempo change, the quirky concept, LOVE IT.

flowsnake

The beginning is probably the worst part of any of the games. The new music for the easy versions of the old levels is quite bad.

It's great as soon as the towers start.

derFeef

I have no experience with previous entries, but I am liking what I have played so far so if it's going to become even better, then I am happy :)
The hoverboard and the ghost house one with the bow and arrow are stinkers though...

the ghost house one with the bow and arrow are stinkers though...

Duuuuuuuuuuuude.

But yeah, the story in this game is a pain in the arse. Once you complete it you can just play everything from a menu kind of like the old games though and that improves the overall experience a great deal.

dock

They turn up a little bit later, instead of four games and move on, you'll play four games then a remix and move on

Oh, that's a relief! I'm up to the 'third gate' and honestly I'm really missing the Remixes. I ended up booting up Rhythm Paradise Wii in order to get my remix fix. The lack of remixes has felt pretty disappointing so far, as I don't feel I get to use my skills again.

Meanwhile: I love the feedback on the bottom screen for how early/late my hits are! This is sooo helpful and long overdue in the series. Seeing a proper bar for scoring at the end of the level helps too!

MrPanic

Just a quick question. In the EU version, can you still quickly switch between the different song languages in the café, including the Japanese and the other eu languages?

Top Bottom