• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Nachos

L8apA6F.jpg

Platform: 3DS
Format: Digital-Only (NA), Physical + Digital (EU)
Genre: Rhythm
Players: 1–4
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo (NA and EU)
Release Date: June 15, 2016 (NA); October 21, 2016 (EU)
Demo Available: Yes (NA)
Price: $29.99 (US), $42.99 (CA), TBA (EU)
ESRB Rating: E
PEGI Rating: 7
Block Size: 3,430
Text Languages: English
Audio Languages: English, Japanese
Extra Links: JP Website

Shamelessly stealing/appropriating Bankslammer's OT. I'll change things up in a bit:

cuizu1f.png

• Over 30 brand new rhythm games, controlled with just A, B, and the D-Pad
  • New remixes featuring both new and returning games
  • Improved grading system shows exactly how well you performed
  • Bottom screen provides timing feedback, showing how early or late you are

qIBDa4n.png

• Over 70 games returning from the GBA, DS, and Wii entries in the series
  • GBA and DS games feature redrawn graphics to fit the 3DS resolution
  • DS games have been modified to be controlled with buttons rather than touch input
  • Some returning games also get brand new music
  • All games feature the ease-of-use improvements featured in the new games

kHO7wRw.png

• A first for the series!
  • Help Tibby, the little guy with the crazy afro, find his way back home
  • Clear rhythm games to progress in the story and earn currency that can be used in the shop

CMX3yMK.png

• Up to 4 players via Download Play. Only 1 cart necessary!
  • Team up with friends to clear Challenge Courses, consisting of multiple stages

iC1Y8tf.png

FAQ:
Q: Does this game use touch control like the DS game?
A: By default, everything is controlled with buttons, including the returning games from Rhythm Heaven DS. However, you can change this setting in the Cafe.

Q: Which games from previous versions are returning?
A: Here's a sampler. I'll add more in a bit.

Q: Whoa, this returning game has new music, what gives? Where's the old track?
A: Patience, friend! All returning games have their original music. Just keep playing.

Q: I've played, like, a million games, but haven't found a single remix! What gives?
A; Keep playing!

Q: Does the English version really feature dual audio?
A: All Western versions have dual audio. This is a first for the American release, but bear in mind that all new English songs were changed to purely instrumental arrangements, despite being voiced when in Japanese. The returning games, however, still have English vocals.

no shame needed, lol

excited to see more people get their hands on the game. as a word of warning i do consider the beginning of the game to be kinda weak, but it's really backloaded imo. at least for me, the most fun was toward the end, specifically with the challenge train.

Q: Whoa, this returning game has new music, what gives? Where's the old track?
A: Patience, friend! All returning games have their original music. Just keep playing.

Q: I've played, like, a million games, but haven't found a single remix! What gives?
A; Keep playing!

I was getting really nervous, thanks for this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yay for surprise release & the fact it has the Japanese audio, which will probably be used when playing the DS mini-games.

....now if my 3DS would just download the damn thing....

pHand

Pro-tip: If you have homebrew you can use it to transfer your JP save to the US version. I did it just to quickly check out the localizations...

AW HELL NO, they didn't bother localizing Tokimeki no Story at all. It's instrumental now, and now I'm wondering if the other vocal songs were also instrumentalized.

Miker

Bought as soon as I heard the news. That said, I hope I didn't jump the gun, as I'd feel kinda stupid if they announced a physical version tomorrow or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
AW HELL NO, they didn't bother localizing Tokimeki no Story at all. It's instrumental now, and now I'm wondering if the other vocal songs were also instrumentalized.
What the hell, do they still have the Japanese vocals & it's just instrumental for English, or did they completely remove it?

Pro-tip: If you have homebrew you can use it to transfer your JP save to the US version. I did it just to quickly check out the localizations...

If you switch it to Japanese audio in the Cafe is it still instrumental?

this is a really dumb question but bear with me.. can you use both eshop credit and a credit card to buy a game on the eshop? like if I have a $20 code I can pay the other $10+tax with a credit card, right?

it's really important that I play this game right now.

Phew. I was getting a little worried about the kinda lame music tracks at the beginning of the game. Glad to hear I'll have access to the real things eventually.

Ibuki

Banned
this is a really dumb question but bear with me.. can you use both eshop credit and a credit card to buy a game on the eshop? like if I have a $20 code I can pay the other $10+tax with a credit card, right?

If you try to purchase the game with $20 in your eShop wallet you should be prompted to pay the rest, which you should be able to add with a credit card.

Iano

Neo Member

Yes, you can top off any amount /w a CC, I mix the 2 all the time.

Yep. I did this.

bounchfx

Holy fucking shit I am buying this immediately
Edit:
Fucking shit tits my goddam 3ds is somehow out of battery and I don't have my charger for another 4 days FML

I missed out on Rhythm Heaven Wii but loved the DS game. I just downloaded it and have been playing for about an hour. Really liking the feedback on the bottom screen telling you where you are in relation to the beat. Will try some multiplayer with a friend when I get the chance.

pHand

What the hell, do they still have the Japanese vocals & it's just instrumental for English, or did they completely remove it?

Only the English version is instrumental. "I'm a Lady Now" (Bee Remix) uses the existing Japanese version vocals, since the song was already in English.

Frog Hop, Airboarder and Fan Club 2 use the existing DS version English vocals, which is a shame since this was their chance to rectify those abominations. -_- Were there any other vocal songs? Those are the ones that I can recall.

Definitely a half-assed localization, but at least they included the Japanese audio to make up for it.

the really bad English vocals are part of the charm IMO. I guess I'll try out the Japanese audio this time. could you really do that on Fever?

zroid

Banned
the really bad English vocals are part of the charm IMO. I guess I'll try out the Japanese audio this time. could you really do that on Fever?

agree I love the English vocals in the DS version

definitely going to play this in both languages though

edit: to answer your question, Fever didn't have Japanese language track in NA, but the European release was dual audio

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Out of fucking nowhere.

instabought.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Only the English version is instrumental. "I'm a Lady Now" (Bee Remix) uses the existing Japanese version vocals, since the song was already in English.

Frog Hop, Airboarder and Fan Club 2 use the existing DS version English vocals, which is a shame since this was their chance to rectify those abominations. -_- Were there any other vocal songs? Those are the ones that I can recall.

Definitely a half-assed localization, but at least they included the Japanese audio to make up for it.
Blarg, Fan Club was the one that REALLY needed a redub. But glad to hear they kept vocals for the Japanese versions.

Hope to pick this up soon. I loved the GBA and DS games (100% both of them) but never really got into the Wii one. Didn't love the Wiimote for the series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
did they redo the English DS vocal songs? because those were really shit, particularly the idol songs

EDIT: nvm got my answer

1upsuper

Really happy this was localized. I played through the Japanese version at release and it's great. I'll consider double dipping to support this awesome series.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I 100% golded this in Japanese when it first launched and its a GREAT game.

Seriously, everyone should play this. Its an absolute delight top to bottom.

Top Bottom