• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix |OT| ft. 100+ Minigames, Story Mode, and more!

Finally just grabbed it. It actually only costs you 50 My Nintendo points... but you need the initial 80.

I had 530 points. Redeemed the discount, taking me down to 450, but then got 30 points for buying it, so am now back up to 480.

zigg

I'm slightly past the first gate.

I'm not as impressed with the music in this game as I was in past entries. How could they have done such a poor job with the music? 😣

wartama

Neo Member
So I finally got this game as a MyNintendo offer. My first ever rhythm game. God, I've never been so frustrated yet addicted to a game.

Currently, I'm in World 3 in Heaven World, where I encountered Lockstep. Lockstep is the devil incarnated. Just when I thought I'll never encounter a more frustrating game than Sneaky Spirits 2, Lockstep appeared, kicked the pretending bastard to the curb and spit on its quivering body.

But then the game had previously rewarded me with LumbearJack, Flipper Flop and First Contact, giving me some of the best experiences I had with a videogame, so I forgive it. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions I couldn't name playing this game, but I think when I'm done with it, I'll never touch a rhythm game again. I can't reach a Perfect.

Unless it's a collection of LumbearJack mini-games. I'll happily pay whatever money they ask for it.

Griss

So I finally got this game as a MyNintendo offer. My first ever rhythm game. God, I've never been so frustrated yet addicted to a game.

Currently, I'm in World 3 in Heaven World, where I encountered Lockstep. Lockstep is the devil incarnated. Just when I thought I'll never encounter a more frustrating game than Sneaky Spirits 2, Lockstep appeared, kicked the pretending bastard to the curb and spit on its quivering body.

But then the game had previously rewarded me with LumbearJack, Flipper Flop and First Contact, giving me some of the best experiences I had with a videogame, so I forgive it. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions I couldn't name playing this game, but I think when I'm done with it, I'll never touch a rhythm game again. I can't reach a Perfect.

Unless it's a collection of LumbearJack mini-games. I'll happily pay whatever money they ask for it.

Wow... this is exactly where I stopped two days ago. Couldn't even get past the tutorial, it was bizarre.

Totally agree with everything you've said. Lumbearjack and First Contact are amazing. Rhythm Rally still the GOAT though.

Steiner

Banned

When practicing and playing lockstep, use touch controls, and tap along with a finger on your other hand on the off beats to help you keep time.

llehuty

My trick for lockstep is taking the audio cue to do a kind of double click and then sticking to the same rythm but following the double click.

"Hey, hey, hey ,something"
And you have to do "click, click, click, clickclick"

Just doubling the tempo for one beat and then keep going.

And I'm doing it with button controls, and I also did it with touch controls in the DS game, so I don't think that's a factor.

And, as always... The las resource
the dog in the cafeteria will let you skip the minigame after several failed attempts

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Don't forget that the MyNintendo offer expires on May 2nd so you've got a little more than a week to partake if you're interested.

CTLance

Currently making my way through this game as well. Bought it on a whim with a friend when it went on sale at a local gaming shop.

Some complaints:

I loathe the gated aspect of the story mode with a fury normally reserved for stubbed pinky toes. Especially the coin flipping one (the first one) really stumped me for a while for unfathomable reasons. Plus, grinding for coins for retries is not my idea of fun. I mean, it's not offensive, but still annoys me quite a bit whenever I encounter those idiots while scrolling through.

Also, I feel like having to unlock local multiplayer options is one of the great sins of game design. It's OK to hide any multiplayer portion behind a tutorial of sorts if your multiplayer is relying on the internet, but for local connections it's a major pain. Last weekend was so stupid. Two adults sitting on a couch, each playing separately to get to the unlock, then running out of time and interest because real life reared its ugly head (as it always does).

Also, that "hidden baseball" minigame early on has a really trollish tutorial.
Game: "This is the timing. Listen to the sound. (...) Tutorial complete."
Me: "Hey, that was unexpectedly easy!"
Game: "Oh, by the way, the sound clues won't be in the main game. You won't be able to practice at all without the sound clues. They were a red herring all along. Have fun." *starts main game*
Me: *crashes and burns* *shakes angry fist at whoever designed that trap*

That said, I'm still enjoying this way more than I probably should (my timing skills have completely and utterly atrophied, it seems - I was at least somewhat decent in the previous games, but with this one I feel like an idiot). So many great memories.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to pluck even more hairs from assorted vegetables. Why are real life veggies not as fun to handle?!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yeah that's really the only bad thing about megamix, the forced playing for the minigames (back then they were just extra games you could ignore) and the story mode

Top Bottom