• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rich (IGN): "Some very interesting Wii U-related news coming tomorrow" [Up: Rayman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it wasn't Wii U related, but how is a delay more interesting than the game coming to 2 more consoles?

He is not in charge of the PS3-360 sections, so of course he gonna make preference to the Wii U part of the question. And I consider a delay of one of the biggest and more promising games of Wii U in the next months quite important.

I'd agree he could choosed a different way to tease it, since 99% of the time some guy teases something interesting are good news, but I don't get why the actual news isn't relevant enough...

zashga

That's it? Lame. It's been a while since I read anything on IGN, but I guess they're still trolling Nintendo fans at every opportunity. Using "big new tomorrow!" to hype up bad news seems new, even for them.

WillyFive

I'm more just bothered by how he followed up the report with the message about, "Yes, this is news. Don't blame me for the assumptions you make. Be realistic." That doesn't come off as being a dick to you? Sure does to me.

If he read this thread, his response would certainly be appropriate. He shouldn't have to be blamed for the assumptions we make, his original statement was correct. Sure, its bad news instead of good news, but journalists shouldn't be taking sides with game systems.

JoeM86

It's like that time that Final Fantasy XIII went multiplatform and because of that, Sony went under.

Those were the days...

People are more annoyed because Rayman Legends was the one game in the middle of the drought which ends at the end of March. Now there's nothing until Lego City and Monster Hunter.

You have to look at both comparisons. "Reality is not launch aligned"

Orbis/Durango launches will certainly be interesting, especially if they underwhelm.

I'm sure there will be the usual tropes wheeled out by the cognitively abject. "360 would have broken all kinds of launch records if it weren't for shortages!" while ignoring 2+ years of pretty anaemic sales when it was right there for everyone to grab.

The PS3 & 360 had a tough time winning people over, and I think people are going to be surprised at how many have only really transitioned over to one of them in the last two or three years and aren't going to see an upgrade worthy of $400. Put it this way, I'd be surprised if we don't have at least another five CoD games on the current consoles.

This has been a weird generation all round, and for the industry's sake I hope individual publishers who can't definitely sustain it don't plough money into, say, five big budget projects per year and end up drowning because of it. Scale back, whether that's in terms of technical ambition or just the number of games you're looking to put out because I don't think the industry needs yet fewer publishers capable of getting major games out there.

By the same token, I hope there is a real attempt to cultivate an audience on all platforms that have a viable install base; I still feel there was a lot of opportunity to make money with Wii, and certainly not in place of or at the detriment of the mainline HD projects. Unfortunately, that was soon replaced by an embarrassing surfeit of imagination and ambition to do so, and there was just no audience by 2009 or thereabouts.

Why did I buy a Wii U at launch? Man, I'm stupid. I'm repeating the same mistake I made with the Wii (which I played a grand total of 5 games on).

Luckily I collect game systems, but I would've preferred to have gotten it cheap if it will only end up having a couple games I like.

popeutlal

That's ridiculous. The lack of power is at question. Comparing to current sales of established consoles is also ridiculous. They are typically sold at discounts due to the fact that they are now relatively cheap.

You compare launches with launches, not with how the current gen consoles are doing
As a consumer why would I care what happened with other launches years ago, if I'm looking to buy gaming hardware now, why would I choose the Wii U and not other consoles?

Wii U isn't cheaper, it doesn't have better games or better looking games, its not getting the big 3rd party games, Nintendo isn't releasing games for it...they're announcing them without release dates.

As of today, this machine offers no advantages over the competition. Consumers see that.

zroid

Banned
Honestly, Rich didn't deceive anyone with his Tweets and to whomever was hyped, you have yourselves to blame.

Nevertheless, teasing in such a manner for "bad news" is quite obviously trolling and being intentionally misleading. He knew perfectly well how people would interpret the Tweet, ESPECIALLY after the PXZ announcement, and purposefully phrased it in that way to give people false hope (and yes, create hype). He isn't without guilt.

I'm more just bothered by how he followed up the report with the message about, "Yes, this is news. Don't blame me for the assumptions you make. Be realistic." That doesn't come off as being a dick to you? Sure does to me.

Exactly, it sounds far more like a response he had ready in advance because he knew he'd be called out for trolling.

If he geniunely didn't get that people would have gotten hyped, there'd be at least a smidgen of contrition, which is what sealed the deal for me on whethere he was just fishing for attention.

People are more annoyed because Rayman Legends was the one game in the middle of the drought which ends at the end of March. Now there's nothing until Lego City and Monster Hunter.

which aren't even system sellers.

rayman legends was a system seller for me..
i wanted this fucking game at launch.

effzee

How is the delay of the Wii U version not Wii U related?

Because its more relevant for the systems it was previously not even announced for?

Its interesting in the literal definition but if he knew it was bad news why even tease it? Everyone under the sun knows how video game news works. If you tease something its usually to build hype towards something cool. Now IGN is teasing bad news? WTF? His previous and very recent exact same tweet regarding DS was for some really cool news. This was done in the same vain so course people will expect good news. No one hypes up and teases bad news.

Besides that, even though I wasn't interested in the game, its terrible news for those who was looking forward to it and now have it delayed 7 months just so PS360 can have it. And what difference does it make? Release it now and even if it doesn't sell well you can release the PS360 version in September. Ubisoft would rather screw over the WiiU fanbase just so it can milk the game later? And in a year where PS4/XBOX720 are to be released?

Are people really going to be buying this game much more in September when its directly competing with Nintendo's own 1st party games and the impending launches of new consoles?

Nintendo screwed it up again, and we all know that. Their decision to release another under power system didn't work as well as it did with the Wii. And yet again they are going to be left far behind in terms of technology which like it or not does matter to the consumers. I doubt MS and Sony make the same mistake twice and skip out on motion controls or touchscreen capabilities. They did that with the Wii and paid for it. Doubt they do it again. This time they will have motion, touch screen in some capacity, and the horsepower to make the WiiU look antiquated.

All that accepted and expected what I don't get is why in the world they launched WiiU if nothing was ready. Lack of 3rd party games is no surprising but lack of any big hitters from Nintendo itself is disturbing. Pikmin is getting released when now? It should have been a launch title.

Honestly WiiU should have launched this fall. Even if it was going to be under-powered, they could have at least launched with serious killer games.

If he read this thread, his response would certainly be appropriate. He shouldn't have to be blamed for the assumptions we make, his original statement was correct. Sure, its bad news instead of good news, but journalists shouldn't be taking sides with game systems.

Has teasing ever NOT resulted in people making assumptions?
He knew what he was doing. He got the clicks he wanted, the hate just comes with the territory. Next time he just won't tease anything. Oh wait he will, because you know, clicks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You guys are shameful. The news is interesting, it is a valid news piece, it is very relevant to the Wii U, and Rich delivered what he promised. Calling him names is below GameFAQs, let alone NeoGAF.

You give NeoGAF-Lately far too much credit in the maturity category

beast786

That was for sure a little troll from IGN.

The news is actually interesting for 360/PS3 owners not Wii U. For Wii u owners its a disappointing news.

boyshine

If I ran IGN and one of my employees did a stunt like this, I'd fire him and publish an official apology. No amount of clicks can make up for the damage this does to a reputation. Not that IGN has a great reputation to begin with, but you don't piss off your readers intentionally, that's just bad business.

And I'm not annoyed by the game losing its exclusivity, Ubisoft can do what they want with the game, but it's the complete lack of respect for his own readers that gets me here. It's like if Apple put up a silhouette of a TV on their website tomorrow, with the text "a new connection" under it.. and then it turned out they were releasing a white version of their HDMI cable. You just don't tease people like that.

ElRenoRaven

You know I'm not going to call him a dick. He's just doing what IGN does but to his credit he was tame.

Usually if there is news you see IGN guys go OMG EARTH SHATTERING NEWS COMING SOON. Then you see hype and more hype as people guess and then it's something like Microsoft to add another useless media app to xbox live and it's locked behind gold.

To his credit he simply said it's interesting news and left it at that. He chose the wrong word in interesting but I don't think it makes him a dick. If he wanted to be a dick he would have hyped it a hell of a lot harder and been tweeting it out like made how important this news was.

Seik

Banned
Wow, I wanted to leave my piece of mind about how manipulative Rich has been to make people read his article.

My comment has been deleted within 1 minute.

1 minute.

Zero148

hm, now the next game I plan to buy for my beloved WiiU should be Lego City, but it doesn't even has an EU release date yet...

Azure J

You give NeoGAF-Lately far too much credit in the maturity category

I don't know which one I'd prefer a lot of posters to pick up lately, this or some understanding of context. Everything about this situation is shitty from all angles minus PS360 folks getting some Rayman love.

Effect

So who owns the Wonderful 101 IP?

Does Nintendo have a claim to Bayonetta 2 in the same way they do Goldeneye 64 and that's why that game can never be rereleased about Nintendo giving the okay?

Is the countdown now on for Lego City Undercover? After all NG3:RE was published by Nintendo too.

This is perhaps part, perhaps a small part, of why some Nintendo hardware owners stick to purely Nintendo games. To avoid frustration and disappointment when stuff like this happens.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Come on guys, be realistic this is interesting.

When a family comes to visit a loved one at the hospital, what do you think their most natural reaction is when the doctor says "I'm sorry, he's gone"?

... home, because he's totally cured! Sorry you wasted your time coming in here! That's what I meant!

JoeM86

So who owns the Wonderful 101 IP?

Does Nintendo have a claim to Bayonetta 2 in the same way they do Goldeneye 64 and that's why that game can never be rereleased about Nintendo giving the okay?

Is the countdown now on for Lego City Undercover? After all NG3:RE was published by Nintendo too.

This is perhaps part, perhaps a small part, of why some Nintendo hardware owners stick to purely Nintendo games. To avoid frustration and disappointment when stuff like this happens.

1. Platinum & Nintendo
2. Yes, Nintendo have provided a lot of the development funding
3. No

Effect

Good thing I cancelled by preorder. So much for the Wii U's killer exclusives.....

This removes any issues I had when it came to buying the game right away or waiting. At the moment don't even feel like buying it at all. It was a game I wanted at launch over Mario too. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom