• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rich (IGN): "Some very interesting Wii U-related news coming tomorrow" [Up: Rayman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one questioned that was newsworthy, but is not interesting at all!!! He deserves all the backlash for hyping it.

The one Wii U game worth paying attention to before late spring being pushed back to fall and losing its exclusive status is definitely interesting. Remember - "interesting" is also a way of passive-aggressively saying "shitty."

Bgamer90

Banned
You are wrong.
He should have said "Interesting PS3/360-related news coming".

No, this is pretty big news that has an impact on the Wii U.

I know that I personally was about to buy one next month for Rayman Legends because I loved Rayman Origins.

Now though? I probably won't get a Wii U until 2014.

73V3N

Banned
Welp. I guess he shouldn't post anything.

Some of you don't make sense, but it doesn't matter. The day I had to defend IGN is the day I never thought I'll see unless it was 2001.

No.
you are making no sense defending someone that said there was some "Interesting Wii U-related news coming" when it was something about a game being launched on PS3/360.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This isn't interesting wiiu news its ps3 and 360 news.

What if Bayonetta 2, for example, went multiplat. You think it would be wrong to call that "interesting" news for the existence of the Wii U?

It's "shitty news" for WiiU owners but it's interesting when looked at more broadly. If he said "interesting news for WiiU owners" the that would be assholeish, yes.

Legends was 1 of the biggest third party exclusives on a system that desperatly needs games. A very unexpected twist that not only is delayed but it also will go multiplatform.

I'll say as far as Wii U news go, this is quite relevant.

PaulLFC

Previous "interesting" news by Rich proved to be positive news. Thus, using the same word and similar sentence structure would imply the same vibe: positive.

The way he quickly goes to defend himself, after knowing all along it would piss people off, is what makes him an asshole.

Just the word selection or choice of his defense is the reason people are calling him a dick.
No it doesn't, not at all. If he said "positive news" you'd have a point. Don't blame someone because you decided their words meant something they did not.

Box

This seems like a pretty bad decision for the actual game sales. Surely any notable release on the Wii U right now would gain a lot of attention. Who is going to care about this game in September?

Ivan 3414

Previous "interesting" news by Rich proved to be positive news. Thus, using the same word and similar sentence structure would imply the same vibe: positive.

The way he quickly goes to defend himself, after knowing all along it would piss people off, is what makes him an asshole.

Just the word selection or choice of his defense is the reason people are calling him a dick.

I doubt the majority of people who are upset about this pay enough attention to him on Twitter to know what he usually means by "interesting".

As for his choice of words, I don't think he's a dick for using that word. Maybe a bit of a troll, but then again, maybe people shouldn't be so easily trolled.

On another note, tweeting that "interesting" news is incoming, then actually reporting that "interesting" news, is hardly an affront to his journalistic integrity. I mean...are you guys serious right now?

Portugeezer

Why don't we just quote the Oxford dictionary and ignore context all together.

Sorry, I need more than "interesting doesn't mean positive" to convince me it wasn't a dick move by Rich.

Bgamer90

Banned
No.
you are making no sense defending someone that said there was some "Interesting Wii U-related news coming" when it was something about a game being launched on PS3/360.

Yes, a game that was once a Wii U exclusive.

It further shows the problem(s) that the Wii U is having.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Someone posted this in the other thread.

rlwiytq.png

I feel sick.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It's an interesting troll, i'll give him that.

yesterday: Hey guys, tomorrow i'll be giving interesting WiiU news! HYPE!
today: Hey guys, about that interesting news: YOU'RE FUCKED!

Sure, it does fit the criterium of "interesting"... but instead of hyping everybody up with that announcement and slamming them/us down, he could have said he had "disappointing" news yesterday.
You've described the problem with IGN's behavior exactly. The saw how we got excited about their tweet and did nothing but watch.. which they probably enjoyed out of schadenfreude.

Seda

Regardless if you find this interesting/disappointing/whatever or if it's Wii-u related or PS3/360-related, this type of news isn't something that should be teased.

I'm struggling to equate this news to the Zombi-U-bundle-in-the-US news. If Zombi U was unsuccessful, what's enticing about including it in a bundle? If it was a success, what's the frame of reference Ubi are using for the 'can't be successful on Wii U'?

Third party games that get bundled like that after a game's release don't tend to be the successful games, no. The best analog I can think of is Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox. It was a huge bomb and Sega/Microsoft used bundles to pad the game's sales.

No it doesn't, not at all. If he said "positive news" you'd have a point. Don't blame someone because you decided their words meant something they did not.

I think it was a poor show and I was never even on the hype train (thanks to that twewy guy deadening me to all this kind of spiel).

Do you honestly think he didn't intentionally couch this in such a way that a lot of people would hang on his every word, assuming a new game announcement/big name port towards the wii u.

CrunchyB

It's not imagined. He knew what he was doing. What the hell did he think was gonna happen? If he didn't want that kind of backlash he would have chosen his words better. All he was doing is fishing for hits and getting people worked up.

Yup. Professional news agencies report news when they have confirmed it. Websites like IGN just like to screw around, often not checking their sources, often not reporting known facts in a timely manner. They are worthless.

This seems like a pretty bad decision for the actual game sales. Surely any notable release on the Wii U right now would gain a lot of attention. Who is going to care about this game in September?

especially when GTAV is 9/17. Imagine if it comes out 9/24 or something. This game will now BOMB i can feel it. Probably worse than the first one.

Why don't we just quote the Oxford dictionary and ignore context all together.

Sorry, I need more than "interesting doesn't mean positive" to convince me it wasn't a dick move by Rich.
Let's preface all things with the word interesting from now on.

Interesting famine.
Interesting Genocide.

Come on guys, be realistic this is interesting.

javac

This week has been brilliant for all fan bases huh? Juuusssttt brilliant.

At this point I'd take Deus EX HR

No I wouldn't.

Hermii

From dictionary.com : "

in·ter·est·ing
[in-ter-uh-sting, -truh-sting, -tuh-res-ting] Show IPA
adjective
engaging or exciting and holding the attention or curiosity: an interesting book.
arousing a feeling of interest: an interesting face.
Idioms
in an interesting condition, (of a woman) pregnant.
Origin:
1705–15; interest + -ing2

Related forms
in·ter·est·ing·ly, adverb
in·ter·est·ing·ness, noun
un·in·ter·est·ing, adjective
un·in·ter·est·ing·ly, adverb

Synonyms
1. absorbing, entertaining. Interesting, pleasing, gratifying mean satisfying to the mind. Something that is interesting occupies the mind with no connotation of pleasure or displeasure: an interesting account of a battle. Something that is pleasing engages the mind favorably: a pleasing account of the wedding. Something that is gratifying fulfills expectations, requirements, etc.: a gratifying account of his whereabouts; a book gratifying in its detail.

Antonyms
1. dull.
"

I woudnt say interesting is the best way to describe those news.

watershed

Banned
I consider this interesting as well. Rayman Legends was a much touted exclusive. It going multiplat has a lot of implications about the state of the Wii U, software sales, and 3rd party relations.

VariantX

Its great that this is getting ported to other consoles (PC too maybe I'm hoping??) but making people wait like that is just ridiculous. If they were gonna delay from Nov 2012 to Sept 2013, then they should have said so from the first announcement of a delay. This is just jerking people around. Good luck selling a game like Rayman in the fall though amongst a turbulent sea of AAA current games and next gen consoles UBI.

Wow what a dickhead

Yeah. Be realistic? I think realistic is understanding the kind of news you're presenting and the way you're selling it and stating appropriately what's to be expected. He's not wrong, per se, but it is dick-ish.

Why say it's Wii U related instead of 360/PS3? Because the Wii U is new and news is interesting when we're all waiting to see what's going to happen on the system. It's manipulative to degree. In reality it's not a big deal, but in line with the discussion it's pandering.

EDIT: Glad they finally announced Rayman for 360, though.

WillyFive

You guys are shameful. The news is interesting, it is a valid news piece, it is very relevant to the Wii U, and Rich delivered what he promised. Calling him names is below GameFAQs, let alone NeoGAF.

I probably would have bought this because of the game drought even though Rayman isn't one of my favorite franchises but I can't say I'll bother with it now if there are other games around its new release date.

Revven

You guys are shameful. The news is interesting, it is a valid news piece, it is very relevant to the Wii U, and Rich delivered what he promised. Calling him names is below GameFAQs, let alone NeoGAF.

I'm more just bothered by how he followed up the report with the message about, "Yes, this is news. Don't blame me for the assumptions you make. Be realistic." That doesn't come off as being a dick to you? Sure does to me.

73V3N

Banned

It's more relevant to the consoles is coming to.

the game still exists on Wii U, if it was canceled on Wii U, i would think that would make it more relevant to the Wii U.

but that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom