• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Review Thread [More Reviews]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems the reviews for Ridge Racer Unbounded are starting to come out. I think this first one may be an exclusive though, but the game was originally supposed to come out today so perhaps this was the embargo date.

Reviews:
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
xgn.nl (Dutch) - 8.5/10
Meristation - 7.3/10
OPM UK - 7/10
CVG Review - 6.4/10
GamesTM - 6/10

Excerpts:

Edge said:
This, then, is the game Bugbear has been working towards for the past decade, delivered with pedal-flooring confidence and made possible thanks to what initially seemed an unlikely collaboration between a Japanese publisher and Scandinavian developer. At a time when Japan seems determined to reach out to other territories with its intellectual property, it’s also the most shining example yet of how to handpick a third party and provide it with the freedom and support to get it right on its own terms. Ridge Racer fans’ first reaction may be to cry blasphemy at the rough, rugged world of Unbounded, but this new direction is refreshing and vital to a licence that hasn’t been a legitimate contender since its glory days.

The action-racing genre has delivered numerous treats this generation, but not one of them has been as rewarding and relentlessly entertaining, nor as feature-packed, as this. This is Ridge Racer unbounded from the shackles of its heritage, rebuilt from the ground up into one of the most subversive, sublime street-racing games ever made.
Eurogamer said:
As I said at the outset though, this is a cautionary tale: nowhere in Unbounded does it tell you that you have to hold down the drift button the whole way through a corner, going against instincts built up by every other arcade racer ever, in order to have fun. When you do hold it down, though, Ridge Racer Unbounded is brilliant.
OPM said:
Ridge Racer Unbounded is a good, solid racer, but not a great one. Its main problem is that it undeniably compares unfavourably with its closest competitors (it’s secondary problem is its grating soundtrack, but I’ll charitably let it off the standard -2 dubstep modifier). With a less inhibited approach to level design and slightly more refined handling its success would be less qualified. As it stands, if Ridge Racer is to continue with its bad boy image it needs to upsize across the board: bigger tracks, bigger destruction, bigger ambitions. After all, no true bad boy ever succeeded via half-measures. Just ask Tim Westwood.
CVG said:
Solid, playable but ultimately uninspiring, Ridge Racer does its best to catch up with the pack - but it's built from used parts
GamesTM/NowGamer said:
Ultimately, it’s a quick thrill – a little bit of fiery eye-candy and raw destruction to pass the time – but as its explosions grow more tiring, there’s little else to see among the streets of Shatter Bay, and its focus is clearly muddled. While Unbounded is no doubt a step in the right direction for the franchise, perhaps it was a little early to leave the safety of Ridge City behind.

Now that Burnout is floating in limbo, Unbounded sounds exactly like the game needed to take it's place. Consider me interested after reading that review.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Awesome. Can't believe this game doesn't even have a release date set yet for the US. This game looks like it deserves much better then the way its getting treated by Bamco.

BigDug13

So someone tell me about the user generated track sharing. The review briefly mentioned it. Is there some track selection store where users can upload their creations? Is it PC only, as I guarantee that platform will have full track sharing capability.

I want to get it on Xbox but I also want to try people's creations. Can I?

Off topic but why do reviews from the UK say 'then' all the time in the middle of sentences? I notice this all the time from Eurogamer and Edge.

XZgnn.gif

1-D_FTW

And for anyone who hasn't been paying any attention to this game at all (understandable), go watch the track creation video on youtube. It looks like it gives Trackmania a real run for its money.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
All the positive impressions make me want to try this pretty badly. The comments in the review about "heavy handling" scare me since that's something I hate in most arcade racers. I wish there was a demo.

All the positive impressions make me want to try this pretty badly. The comments in the review about "heavy handling" scare me since that's something I hate in most arcade racers. I wish there was a demo.

It is been worked on on all platforms Bugbear says - but no date.

Namco are huge dicks it seems

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
If you go back to the original threads on this game. Us Bugbear fans knew they would put out a great game. With this being almost assuredly the best financed game that they've produced, nothing but a stellar result should have sufficed. That nine and others that will follow are expected. I'm not surprised all that much by it.

I hope I love it as much as that reviewer apparently did. I've been excited to see how Bugbear's game would stand up to picky RR fans who worship a series whose best years were more than a decade ago, so I'm thrilled at the prospect of Bugbear knocking (admittedly lowered) expectations out of the park.

BigDug13

I hope I love it as much as that reviewer apparently did. I've been excited to see how Bugbear's game would stand up to picky RR fans who worship a series whose best years were more than a decade ago, so I'm thrilled at the prospect of Bugbear knocking (admittedly lowered) expectations out of the park.

I'm more worried about the RR haters that will ignore this game because of the name. I think there are more haters than there are "purist fans".

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So what? Another well reviewed game in the franchise will only add strength to the ip and Ridge Racer as an ip definitely needs something to get people interested in it again.

Who cares about the IP if it's no longer the series people cared about in the first place?

That's the problem people have with it.

Top Bottom