• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Review Thread [More Reviews]

Vespa

Interested in checking this out now, automatically assumed it would be bad and can definitely relate to the qualms people have in this game bearing the the Ridge Racer title.

I'll have to tell my brain that this isn't the Ridge Racer I know and love, much how I had to do the same for Burnout Paradise which was a good game but nothing like my all time favourite entry in the franchise, Burnout 2.

I know there's a lot of love for RR 6, 7 and the psp games but for me the Nitro/Boost system just isn't my cup of tea and the art direction for those games also falls short (imo) against the three kings:
978GodTier_RR.jpg

*Salute*

This this this. You put this into words that I could not. It might be a great game, but the name implies it's something it's not I think. My biggest concern is that if this does really well, it'll kill off the mainline Ridge Racer games. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are fine with that, but it's one of my favorite series. The last couple haven't been as good, but V, 7, and Ridge Racers 2 PSP are all fantastic.

After remaking the same game for the past ten years, it is crazy to think Namco will stop for any reason.

The bad RR will still be fine, and it will most certainly pop up again when Wii U launches, and the new PS3 and 360 launches.

To those saying that the series best years were 10 years ago, that's not true, as a series fan I'm sorry to say this but RR Type 4 is overrated as hell, 30fps and the poorest handling on the whole franchise, RR7 is the definitive Ridge Racer experience.

That Namco went with an outside developer to reboot the series on consoles should tell people that there are probably no more Japanese-developed console RR titles due. The series is deader than dead, so if this doesn't take off, I think that's all she wrote for the franchise. And Rage Racer is still the best installment in the series, but that was in 1996.

That's a promising start. I don't know anything about this game - is it like Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit?

It's like this:

iYs3sabYp0fhb.gif

It has 49 events in its career, all of which are unique tracks

It has an track editor - which was used to build the on-disc tracks (so it technically has unlimited tracks)

If anything, it is a mix of Split/Second and Burnout - as you can kill buildings.

edbrat

wow this has gone from "I didn't even know you existed" to "ok pre-ordered" status in the space of a few mins. Watched some trailers and thanked my lucky stars us Euros get it by the weekend. Could this be the game to scratch the itch left behind by Blur*?!?!?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6e4AsE5X8

* screw all haters, I loved Blur so much esp the online mp and there will never be a sequel :(

Official PS Magazine 7

Ridge Racer Unbounded is a good, solid racer, but not a great one. Its main problem is that it undeniably compares unfavourably with its closest competitors (it’s secondary problem is its grating soundtrack, but I’ll charitably let it off the standard -2 dubstep modifier). With a less inhibited approach to level design and slightly more refined handling its success would be less qualified. As it stands, if Ridge Racer is to continue with its bad boy image it needs to upsize across the board: bigger tracks, bigger destruction, bigger ambitions. After all, no true bad boy ever succeeded via half-measures. Just ask Tim Westwood.​

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ridge Racer (along with Namco's other big titles) have competely lost their status, and it's good to see Namco finally make an attempt at salvaging the franchise. Bugbear impressed me with Flatout, so it's good to see them given the keys to a bigger series. Had this been an internally developed Namco title, we'd be given the same cookie cutter game Namco's been pressing out for years. Instead we can look forward to a fresh start, and hopefully witness Ridge Racer get back on track to becoming a big name racing franchise again.

At the same time I've fallen in love with Ridge Racer all over again. I haven't touched the series since RR6 and RR PSP, but I recently picked up the 3DS title, and am enoying the heck out of it.

Zomba13

I was completely prepared to just ignore this game then I saw this thread and that track editor video.
It's coming to the PC too? Think I may have to get it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Edge 9? Confirmed 7/10 on Metacritic.

Edit: Wow, the editor video was cool. Finally found something Paradise like after all these years.

Well that's good - I adore the early Burnout games. As long as it's not like Paradise.

There is not big wrld to explore.

There are 49 uniquely made tracks in the game (made by the devs) - which makes up 49 single player events

Multiplayer can be played on those above tracks, or on a selection of tracks made by the community, made using the track editor (which is expansive - see video)

Official PS Magazine 7

Ridge Racer Unbounded is a good, solid racer, but not a great one. Its main problem is that it undeniably compares unfavourably with its closest competitors (it’s secondary problem is its grating soundtrack, but I’ll charitably let it off the standard -2 dubstep modifier). With a less inhibited approach to level design and slightly more refined handling its success would be less qualified. As it stands, if Ridge Racer is to continue with its bad boy image it needs to upsize across the board: bigger tracks, bigger destruction, bigger ambitions. After all, no true bad boy ever succeeded via half-measures. Just ask Tim Westwood.​

Wow, it published with that typo?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
YESYESYESYESYES.gif
By the way, if you're surprised about the score, watch this: http://youtu.be/LZpPTUCpt8E

The way GeoW made Horde modes staple in shooters.
Track Editors Standard in Arcade racers from now on confirmed.....this is heaven.
Day 1 if its on Steam Day 2 if i have to actually go to the shops to buy a physical copy

as said in the other thread, print this! :D
flatout4.jpg

I hope someone actually makes a full version of this in the custom box art thread.
Damn actually im going to request that right now!

This is not a Ridge Racer game in the slightest....it is however the best racing game of 2012, so i dont really care what its called.

Heck was the Ridge Racer series still alive and kicking anyway?

P.S Who actually owned the Flatout name....cuz Empire Interactive died out didnt it, couldnt Namco Bandai have bought the rights to the name and saved the Flatout series?
Cuz FLatout 3 essentially killed the Flatout name....there really is no coming back from that garbage.

Corto

The editor video made me aware of this game. Didn't expect such high praise from Edge though. Nothing in particular made me have that assumption, just my own lukewarm expectation for the game. Guess I must try it then.

PerZona

Oh wow I'm really surprised at EDGE giving this game such a high score. But this game doesn't deserve the title of Ridge Racer though. It doesn't look like anything about the RR series at all.

That video featuring the map editor is pretty cool though. This is what the next Burnout game should be!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

kind of an odd review, from what i've seen of the game, i disagree with the major complaints - which seem to be track variety, graphics, and speed. but the range of scores has me a bit more on the cautious side. maybe in the wake of the NA launch mishap a demo will come out to help me decide one way or another.

kanugo

And another one:

Official PlayStation Magazine - 7/10.

Ridge Racer Unbounded is a good, solid racer, but not a great one. Its main problem is that it undeniably compares unfavourably with its closest competitors (it’s secondary problem is its grating soundtrack, but I’ll charitably let it off the standard -2 dubstep modifier). With a less inhibited approach to level design and slightly more refined handling its success would be less qualified. As it stands, if Ridge Racer is to continue with its bad boy image it needs to upsize across the board: bigger tracks, bigger destruction, bigger ambitions. After all, no true bad boy ever succeeded via half-measures. Just ask Tim Westwood.

EDIT: Damn it, already posted. Move along, nothing to see here. :p

Oh wow I'm really surprised at EDGE giving this game such a high score. But this game doesn't deserve the title of Ridge Racer though. It doesn't look like anything about the RR series at all.

That video featuring the map editor is pretty cool though. This is what the next Burnout game should be!

This continued to be the most idiotic statement I head this month, and get stupider every time it is brought up. I hear the same thing for Metal Gear Solid Rising.

...both games seem to be better than their main series counterparts.

At least the Resident Evil guys seem happy to accept their franchise is dead regardless of what it is called.

PS: That FIFA Street game brings shame on Europe

1-D_FTW

Just read that review. The thing that stood out to me was them complaining about how basic the track editor was. It really makes me question how much of the game they played. Because they harped on that point. And it appears that, for whatever odd reason, they've made the track editor be unlockable by progress. The unlocked and advanced editor looks very detailed.

Or maybe the game just isn't very good and they're right. But my spider senses are tingling on it. I really have legit questions as to how much of the actual game they played.

Top Bottom