• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Review Thread [More Reviews]

1-D_FTW

Who cares about the IP if it's no longer the series people cared about in the first place?

That's the problem people have with it.

Yeah, well, I think the series peaked during the PSX days and has been on a steep decline ever since. IMO the "real" RR games being released today aren't about what first attracted me to the series. So tomato, tomato.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ridge Racer Unbouded is to Arcade Racing - as Batman Arkham Asylum is to Comic Book Game Adaptations.

And in one sentence, I go from "who the fuck cares it's a ridge racer game with a stupid title" to "put it in my veins!"

It seems the reviews for Ridge Racer Unbounded are starting to come out. I think this first one may be an exclusive though, but the game was originally supposed to come out today so perhaps this was the embargo date.
Embargo was lifted today, but seems like most sites got the game late and are taking their time with it.

Orayn

Who cares about the IP if it's no longer the series people cared about in the first place?

That's the problem people have with it.

It's not called Ridge Racer 8. The different subtitle is a tip-off that it's not exactly like other games in the series.

Sounds like a good game but I agree about the title.

as said in the other thread, print this! :D
flatout4.jpg

If Namco is truly the issue, and Bug Bear is self-publishing on Steam, hopefully that means a demo is at least available on PC day 1.

Bug Bear isn't self-publishing the game. The game is under the Namco Bandai Europe package in the registry, so it'll be NB Europe that publishes it.

Bugger me sideways. I watched the trailers with glee and loved Flatout 2 on 360, but I still wasn't convinced a game with a stealth launch like this could possibly be up to scratch. An Edge 9 is all I need to hear to reach for my shutupandtakemymoney.gif

MadmanUK

Bugbear are the guys behind Flatout Ultimate Carnage, right? Which is probably my favourite racing game this gen. Safe hands then.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So I'm guessing since noone has responded, nobody knows how the user generated track sharing works on 360.

i'd imagine its like trials or halo - ie, you can download from others. i wouldnt worry much about that.

i doubt public matchmaking has custom tracks though

Orayn

Relax, kids. I'm just sayin'

And I'm just sayin' that a good game is a good game, regardless of its title. Bugbear deserves some recognition for their work and the Ridge Racer name will help them get it, where they might have gone unnoticed if the game was "Super Action Racer 2012."

BigDug13

i'd imagine its like trials or halo - ie, you can download from others. i wouldnt worry much about that.

i doubt public matchmaking has custom tracks though
I don't really care to race other people online. But a robust selection of insane user tracks to race against the computer racers seems really fun too.

And I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide whether to go PC which is guaranteed to be able to download user tracks or go with xbox which might not.

jett

D-Member
EDGE said:
It helps that the framerate is so smooth, never stuttering despite the constant presence of debris.

Yes, 30fps is so smooth, especially in racing games~

As a Ridge Racer fan, that excerpt in the OP annoyed me.

Ridge Racer fans’ first reaction may be to cry blasphemy at the rough, rugged world of Unbounded, but this new direction is refreshing and vital to a licence that hasn’t been a legitimate contender since its glory days.

Contender to what? Sales contender? Other arcade racers? Who gives a shit? RR7 was a fantastic arcade racer. RRU may in fact be a good, even a great game, but it's not RR, there's no new direction for the series. This is a Bugbear racer with an unrelated title slapped on top of it, they haven't really made use of the license at all.

I do look forward to trying out a PC demo of this game though. I love Burnout, and this looks a lot like it, mixed with some Split Second .

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Contender to what? Sales contender? Other arcade racers? Who gives a shit? RR7 was a fantastic arcade racer. RRU may in fact be a good, even a great game, but it's not RR, there's no new direction for the series. This is a Bugbear racer with an unrelated title slapped on top of it, they haven't really made use of the license at all.
This this this. You put this into words that I could not. It might be a great game, but the name implies it's something it's not I think. My biggest concern is that if this does really well, it'll kill off the mainline Ridge Racer games. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are fine with that, but it's one of my favorite series. The last couple haven't been as good, but V, 7, and Ridge Racers 2 PSP are all fantastic.

Zia

To those upset about the Ridge Racer name being applied to this (though as others have said, it's probably a disservice to what appears to be a fine game), maybe if it does well enough Namco will continue the "revitalization" with a half-assed, DLC-infused Type 4 HD for digital download.

Atolm

Yes, 30fps is so smooth, especially in racing games~

As a Ridge Racer fan, that excerpt in the OP annoyed me.

I do look forward to trying out a PC demo of this game though. I love Burnout, and this looks a lot like it, mixed with some Split Second .

Exactly my thoughts.

To those saying that the series best years were 10 years ago, that's not true, as a series fan I'm sorry to say this but RR Type 4 is overrated as hell, 30fps and the poorest handling on the whole franchise, RR7 is the definitive Ridge Racer experience.

Unbounded has BOMBA written all over it, so I'll wait.

Top Bottom