• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME |OT| Breath of the Child

v0mitg0d

(reposting this from our other discussion thread)

Videos for you and one is in glorious, raw 4K/60! Though the game doesn't run at 60fps, it does seem to dip above 30 at times. That's the reason I captured at that frame rate.

RiME - Intro (4K/60, No Commentary, PS4 Pro)
https://youtu.be/PKdJ8J0WP1U

**PUZZLE SPOILERS BELOW**
RiMe - All World 1 Puzzle Solutions
https://youtu.be/8DYWLsOJLmU

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 5 Solution
https://youtu.be/gSET6quPLR4

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 4 Solution
https://youtu.be/_L_SMmITsm0

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 3 Solution
https://youtu.be/RYPAMhswMrQ

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 2 Solution
https://youtu.be/qHYXdjyyTbI

IMPRESSIONS
I played the game on my 4k TV (KS8000) on a PS4 Pro. There are 5 worlds and I'm almost done with the 3rd which has taken my roughly 4 hours.

- It's a gorgeous game, and yes the first 2 minutes of the game I couldn't stop thinking about the Ico comparisons, however it does enough to form it's own identity--and it's a good one.

- The score is really goddamn good.

- This is a dreamy, sort of no-combat, sit-on-your-couch-and-explore-experience. Just love it!

- Though there's a overarching design to it all, each world has it's own flow, narrative little special something. :)

- It's mostly been puzzle-soft. As in, the environmental puzzles have never been too challenging where I need to walk away, but a few have stumped me for 5-10 minutes.

- On the Ps4 Pro it appears to run at about 30-40FPS in 4K. Unsure if there's officially Pro support, but for the record I do have Boost Mode enabled in case there's not.

- The day/night cycle is too fast, and I found it a touch bothersome.

Poppyseed

Hey everyone,
I have seen some conversations about our use of Denuvo anti-tamper, and I wanted to take a moment to address it. We have had discussions about Denuvo internally, and one of the key points of all of those discussions have simply been, we want to ensure the best gaming experience for RiME players. RiME is a very personal experience told through both sight and sound. When a game is cracked, it runs the risk of creating issues with both of those items, and we want to do everything we can to preserve this quality in RiME.

We are very committed to this, but also to the simple fact that nothing is infallible. That being said, if RIME is cracked we will release a Denuvo free version of RiME and update existing platforms.

So... I have literally no idea what this explanation means, or what you're trying to say. If you hadn't gone with Denuvo, then I guess the game would have theoretically run fine if cracked? So why use Denuvo?

Also, can you provide a 30fps lock for the PS4 Pro? 30-55fps is just plain madness.

Cheers.

I'm on PC with TXAA, 4K and double buffering - with everything else on max settings. Game has ran with no issues and I am loving it.

Great job IMO.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Havent read the thtead, avoided as much as possible aside from trying to ascertain how good this was before preordering yesterday. Woke up and fired this up before work and the splash screens, title, and first five minutes just oozed potential. Love the look and style, love the sense of exploration. Can't wait for a deep dive.

Elixist

So... I have literally no idea what this explanation means, or what you're trying to say. If you hadn't gone with Denuvo, then I guess the game would have theoretically run fine if cracked? So why use Denuvo?

this. just say you wanted to protect early sales, which is understandable (to me at least) for a shortish single player game.

Icarus

I'm running an i7 3770K, GF1070 and I'm easily getting 50-90fps... no issues of significance that I'm detecting if I turn off Vsync and turn down some of the AA. I'm about three hours in so far and it's better than I was expecting (and I was hoping for a lot).

JoeLT

Saw it's 1080p with an extremely inconsistent 30-50fps on PS4 which is far from ideal. What is it on Xbox? 1080p and locked 30 I hope?

Also, can you provide a 30fps lock for the PS4 Pro? 30-55fps is just plain madness.

Cheers.

The explanation is quite simple. They are using Copy Protection to prevent piracy as long as possible unless and until the protection is broken. Should their copy protection be broken, there isn't much point in keeping it anymore and therefore will remove it via patch.

False

Saw it's 1080p with an extremely inconsistent 30-50fps on PS4 which is far from ideal. What is it on Xbox? 1080p and locked 30 I hope?
Not even close to locked 30 on Xbox I'm afraid. Lots of drops, especially when moving the camera in the larger areas. Still a great game, but I'd like it if they patched in some fine tuning.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Someone in the thread said six to seven hours.
I must also point out that 6-7 hours is just for one playthrough, but if you're willing to play the game again after the end credits to find and collect everything you've missed last time.... then it's at least 13-15 hour (or even more - depending on how you play).

What are your PC specs and by "no issues" do you mean 60fps?
Double buffering halves the frame rate, so it''s 4K 30. Even my rig can handle 4K 30 but it's capable for so much more. 4K 30 is unplayable for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I must also point out that 6-7 hours is just for one playthrough, but if you're willing to play the game again after the end credits to find and collect everything you've missed last time.... then it's at least 13-15 hour (or even more - depending on how you play).

Double buffering halves the frame rate, so it''s 4K 30. Even my rig can handle 4K 30 but it's capable for so much more. 4K 30 is unplayable for me.

If you finish it 20 times, its a 140 hour game. What value.

Obviously kidding but I hate when people do the "well if you play again its longer" argument (unless its something very specific like Nier or something). A 6 hour game is either fine or not fine for people, and thats... fine. There's no need to pad it out to sell it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Obviously kidding but I hate when people do the "well if you play again its longer" argument (unless its something very specific like Nier or something). A 6 hour game is either fine or not fine for people, and thats... fine. There's no need to pad it out to sell it.
Well, there's story related stuff (not to mention collectables) which i'm sure you won't find during your first playthrough (believe me, i've tried to lick walls and even put my pixel hunting skills to good use but still haven't found everything) and as i've said in my review - after you'd see the ending you immediately want to play the game second time, which i'm actually doing right now. So no, it's not about playing the game again just to prolong the overall playtime.

P.S. Well, i'm sure as hell not alone with performance issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970389264/recommended/493200/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cole_roddy/recommended/493200/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/soralapio/recommended/493200/

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077438949/recommended/493200/

I wonder what's actually causing the game to run like this on high-end hardware.....

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game is amazing. It's absolutely gorgeous, the music is amazing, and I'm getting all kinds of nostalia-y vibes from playing it. It has amazing world design. The beaches, the water, the ancient Roman-like architecture. Graphically, it reminds me of The Witness in some ways.

After a stressful week, this game has brought me peace... as cheesy as that sounds. It's probably the most relaxing video game I've played in 5 years. Do not want this game to end. Amazing sound too. From the water to the rustling leaves and bushes when the wind blows. Ahhh.... back to playing.

Wozman23

Just beat it. Took about 6 hours. Gonna jump back in to hunt the handful of missed collectibles.

Didn't notice as many issues with the frame rate during the second half.

Overall, I'd give it a 9 as well, with the only complaint being the frame rate issues and some slight jank with the animations, camera, and character movement. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

It's another great example of an emotion-evoking artistic game.

JoeLT

Not even close to locked 30 on Xbox I'm afraid. Lots of drops, especially when moving the camera in the larger areas. Still a great game, but I'd like it if they patched in some fine tuning.
Is it 1080p at least? Or is this a Firewatch situation where we get 720p and sub 30fps somehow on Xbox when its 1080p locked 30fps on PS4. Regardless until they fix it I'll pass. Which is a shame because I really wanna play this, but can't support these practices.

WEW ITS A BEAUT

11C5195DFE5D42C8432530AB80AFF30C2B28DEEB

Decided to start again last night, but I can't get over the framerate problems ( playing on PS4 pro btw ) Especially panning is bad.

I want to love Rime.It's exactly what I want from a game and I have been following the game since it's reveal.

It really hurts that such a beautiful game as Rime suffers from fps problems. This game would be so much better when it was locked at 30 fps. I don't know what Tequila was thinking. You don't have to be a scientist to notice that the unlocked framerate doesn't do the game any favours. Please, please fix this Tequila.

beeswax

Had this pre-ordered for a while on PC. Not liking the reports on performance thus far though. 1080p to maintain 60fps on a Titan X Pascal? That's pretty awful. On my holidays at the moment so can't play for a few more days, hoping for a performance related patch by then.

That explanation about the reason for going with Denuvo is laughable btw. As someone else already said, just admit it's to protect short-term sales, we all know it but you lose all respect when you try and wrap it up in marketing fluff.

Please consider adding triple buffering and going back to your performance analysis to tweak some of the busier areas. Sounds like an otherwise stellar experience is being marred by erratic framerates on all platforms.

eXistor

Playing the game for an hour has very little impression. I imagine things get better, but so far it's been a very basic and standard game for me.

Had this pre-ordered for a while on PC. Not liking the reports on performance thus far though. 1080p to maintain 60fps on a Titan X Pascal? That's pretty awful. On my holidays at the moment so can't play for a few more days, hoping for a performance related patch by then.

That explanation about the reason for going with Denuvo is laughable btw. As someone else already said, just admit it's to protect short-term sales, we all know it but you lose all respect when you try and wrap it up in marketing fluff.

Please consider adding triple buffering and going back to your performance analysis to tweak some of the busier areas. Sounds like an otherwise stellar experience is being marred by erratic framerates on all platforms.

I'm getting average 75, min 60 max 100+ on a 6700k/1080 Ti at 3440x1440. The extremely low FPS reports are generally from people who maxed out the AA slider by selecting SSAA, effectively rendering it at 4k on a 1080p screen and even higher on a 1440p. The game DOES have some wild variation in framerates, but the issue isn't near as bad as it may seem. In fact I had the opposite problem at first, I was getting jittering at high framerates because I had tried enabling Vsync in the Nvidia control panel a few days ago and that didn't seem to be working in the game. Once I turned that off and enabled triple buffering in game it fixed that. The experience has largely been smooth for me, staying above 60FPS at all times.

GHG

I'm getting average 75, min 60 max 100+ on a 6700k/1080 Ti at 3440x1440. The extremely low FPS reports are generally from people who maxed out the AA slider by selecting SSAA, effectively rendering it at 4k on a 1080p screen and even higher on a 1440p. The game DOES have some wild variation in framerates, but the issue isn't near as bad as it may seem. In fact I had the opposite problem at first, I was getting jittering at high framerates because I had tried enabling Vsync in the Nvidia control panel a few days ago and that didn't seem to be working in the game. Once I turned that off and enabled triple buffering in game it fixed that. The experience has largely been smooth for me, staying above 60FPS at all times.

This video mirrors my experience:

https://youtu.be/syQm39L_eo0

And I have disabled SSAA. SSAA is not the problem for most people experiencing issues.

Lima

Love the art style and minimalistic approach. The soundtrack is nice too but my damn the frame rate on Xbox One is horrible.

Is it 1080p at least? Or is this a Firewatch situation where we get 720p and sub 30fps somehow on Xbox when its 1080p locked 30fps on PS4. Regardless until they fix it I'll pass. Which is a shame because I really wanna play this, but can't support these practices.

Doesn't look 1080p on Xbox. I would put it at 900p.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The explanation is quite simple. They are using Copy Protection to prevent piracy as long as possible unless and until the protection is broken. Should their copy protection be broken, there isn't much point in keeping it anymore and therefore will remove it via patch.

That is the obvious reason, but that is not what they said. It was explicitly stated that using Denuvo was intrinsically tied to getting "the best gaming experience", "told through both sight and sound", and that using a crack would compromise those features. So that begs the question: if Denuvo is essential to the game, why remove it once it's cracked? Wouldn't that compromise the quality of DRM-free version?

Let me make it clear that I'm totally fine with developers using whatever resources they have to stop piracy as much as possible. That's not my issue with this matter. If they had just said "Yeah, we're trying to stop piracy and Denuvo is the best thing we've got nowadays to do so", I would be fine with that answer. What really bothers me is how the use of Denuvo has been presented as a favor for the user and almost an artistic choice by the developer :/

I'm not getting the game right now because, Denuvo or not, the value proposition is a bit too steep for me at the moment, and the reports coming from my fellow PC users aren't that encouraging either. I'll get it once performance has been ironed out and price has been lowered a bit.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just finished it, took me 6 hours, and.. yeah, I dunno, didn't like it. Jankiness, easy puzzles, and a really bad section killed it for me. Not to mention a glitch that happened to me like 4 times, each required restarting a checkpoint.

It's pretty tho, and the music is stellar.

Also, something about the ending (MAJOR SPOILERS):
I uh, what? I didn't get it, am I the old guy at the end? Or was I playing as his kid's soul going through limbo or what exactly?

GHG

I tried it again on the PC and the performance is better using medium textures/shadows but it's still not solid. The stutters, while less frequent, are still there.

I really want to get over the performance issues as the game looks great and the premise is interesting but I can't do it to myself man. I refuse to support devs who decide it's ok to release games in this state on the PC.

Just finished it, took me 6 hours, and.. yeah, I dunno, didn't like it. Jankiness, easy puzzles, and a really bad section killed it for me. Not to mention a glitch that happened to me like 4 times, each required restarting a checkpoint.

It's pretty tho, and the music is stellar.

Also, something about the ending (MAJOR SPOILERS):
I uh, what? I didn't get it, am I the old guy at the end? Or was I playing as his kid's soul going through limbo or what exactly?

what I got from it was that you
are playing as the kid, but
the game is about
the father dealing with loss and passing through the different stages of grief.
the chapter titles seem to imply this as well but tbh i've literally just finished it so need to think on it for a little while.

Lijik

i dont think giving a regular estimate and then an estimate for all collectibles in case thats something theyre into is that weird? like why does it bother you so much someone went "heres the average time and heres the completionist time" on a forum where people frequently admit theyre completionists

burgerdog

This video mirrors my experience:

https://youtu.be/syQm39L_eo0

And I have disabled SSAA. SSAA is not the problem for most people experiencing issues.

Refunding so fast as soon as I'm home. This is happening across a wide range of configurations so I don't want to read some bullshit excuse about the stuttering not occurring in their test rigs. They knew the port was messed up and released it anyway.

Thread seems super slow. I think the dodgy performance on every platform really killed the enthusiasm for this game.

I agree the thread is weirdly slow particularly for all the pre release "Where the hell is rime" threads and then all the controversy. I think it says a lot about this board though that that stuff occupies more mind space than the actual game itself when it releases and reviews well.

The performance certainly isn't dodgy on a pro, it's just a weird choice to do a supra-30 unlocked.

Lady Gaia

That is the obvious reason, but that is not what they said. It was explicitly stated that using Denuvo was intrinsically tied to getting "the best gaming experience", "told through both sight and sound", and that using a crack would compromise those features. So that begs the question: if Denuvo is essential to the game, why remove it once it's cracked? Wouldn't that compromise the quality of DRM-free version?

They could very well attempt to detect a cracked version and deliberately degrade visuals, which obviously wouldn't be the case if they chose to remove DRM themselves. It's a clumsy explanation, no doubt, but there's something to the fact that they can only justify the budget they needed to meet their audiovisual goals for the game if they agreed to let the publisher use Denuvo. Without it, there's more risk and therefore a smaller budget.

Lady Gaia

Double buffering doesn't inherently mean running at half the native frame rate. In combination with hard vsync it does mean frames need to be rendered in 1/60th of a second on a 60Hz display or you'll fall back to 30fps (or 20 or 15), but that just means your hardware isn't capable of rendering the frame sufficiently quickly. Triple buffering wouldn't hit a stable 60, either, and would result in judder while running somewhere below 60fps.

jrcbandit

Refunding so fast as soon as I'm home. This is happening across a wide range of configurations so I don't want to read some bullshit excuse about the stuttering not occurring in their test rigs. They knew the port was messed up and released it anyway.
Yeah, I think I'll just refund too. Usually I roll my eyes at poor port complaints because people are too lazy to mess with settings and just to try to run everything at ultra on mediocre rigs, but this game seems to have very poor performance no matter what setting you use. Some initial post pre release said turning off SSAA would fix performance so I pre-ordered before release to get the 10% discount. Now, I'll wait for the Steam winter sale and see if they ever manage to fix performance, which I doubt it will be. It's ridiculous that I can't even use Vsync and disabling vsync still doesn't fix all performance issues.

Top Bottom