• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME |OT| Breath of the Child

hurzelein

Just remembered that I made a clean cover for this game for the cover thread, maybe someone wants to use it.
Uploaded in 2013 lol. Not sure if it isn't a bit oversaturated when printed but hey.

Looking forward to this game when I'm finished with the current backlog.

wouwie

I think i'm nearing the end now. My play sessions are getting very short because i don't want this game to end yet... which is always a good sign of how i feel about a game.

I'm surprised at how few collectibles i found so far. I found quite a few in the first world but very little since then. Some of them must be hidden quite well.

cyba89

Just finished it. Yeah, people didn't exaggerate when they said the ending and the overall theme of the game
(as evident by the chapter names)
is something special.
Still wonder what story significance the sentinels have.

Very good game. Loved it all the way through and it had excactly the perfect length.

Looking through the achievements it seems there is a lot of stuff I missed on my first playthrough so I will probably dive into it again later.

Budi

Glad to read so many positive impressions, especially about the story and themes of the game. Those are often very important to me personally. Disappointed that people are pissed about the Denuvo when it's clearly not about so called "game preservation" that gets thrown around. Since they have said it will be removed later on. Hopefully PC version gets patched very soon if those clear issues are a wide spread problem.

Weiss

Banned
Well I finished
the second Island.

Really loving the game so far. Not interested in finding all the doodads but it's a really good atmospheric platformer. My only real complaint is that it leans on the sweltering "be amazed" music a little too much and the puzzles can be vague at times.

Just finished this on PC. What a lovely game. I was trying to work it out and that ending just hit me like a tonne of bricks.
Followed by the chapter select names

Very emotional and it's the first game in ages to really hit me! This game has the perfect length to it too. Any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome, and the music man. THE MUSIC.

Anyways, bravo to tequila works for smashing it out of the park as far as i'm concerned. Those 7 hours I've just played were something special. :)

The Goat

What about a 30fps lock/limit option for consoles? This constant fluctuating framerate is not very smooth.

My question exactly. I want to play the game, it's just sitting there, waiting for a patch. I'm sure I could play it as-is, but the camera judder and fluctuating framerate give me a literal headache :/

I'm about 2/3 of the way through (I think). I was up until 3 AM playing this last night, completely absorbed and lost track of time. What an amazing game, I don't want it to end.

basefree

Just finished this. What a beautiful game. The themes it carries, the visual storytelling, the landscapes, the music. Perfect. Well done, Tequila Works.

Edit: Wanted to add that this is right up there amongst my favourite "arty" games like Journey, Abzu, and The Last Guardian.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
4 hours and now seeing
snow.
how far in am I?

What about a 30fps lock/limit option for consoles? This constant fluctuating framerate is not very smooth.

My question exactly. I want to play the game, it's just sitting there, waiting for a patch. I'm sure I could play it as-is, but the camera judder and fluctuating framerate give me a literal headache :/

Same here. Want to play this gem in the best possible way. Please don't forgot us, the console players, Tequila.

Was debating between PC (i5, 8GB RAM, GTX 970) and PS4 Pro, but decided on the PS4 since I really like just kicking back on my couch with more relaxed titles like this. Performance has a few hiccups and there are times I can definitely tell the framerate is a bit variable, but after an hour and half or so I am really sucked in and the visual style of the game just doesn't stop being outstanding. Enjoying this a lot so far and I hope Tequila Works can patch the console versions so that more folks can enjoy this.

Very glad I grabbed a physical copy of this. It will sit proudly among Journey, Abzu, and TLG on the shelf. Still debating whether I'll double dip on the Switch down the road as well.

Lijik

Anyone figure out how to open this door yet in the first stage? I assume it opens since there is a push block there.

Small hint
You open it from the other side, and need to find a way around

Big hint
From the way you came in, theres a place where you can drop down and shimmy across a ledge.

aaaaa0

ARGH. :(

If you have RiME installed and an Oculus Rift on the same machine, RiME will automatically try to launch in VR mode (which it actually doesn't support), and then not work properly at all.

Until they patch it, the solution is to temporarily stop and disable the Oculus VR Runtime service, then launch RiME.

How annoying!

GlamFM

Banned
Finished this over the weekend. Thought it was great.

Don´t think of it as a puzzle game - there are puzzles everywhere, but they are fairly easy - think of it as en "experience".

It´s a good mix of:

-Brothers - a tale of two sons
-Journey
-The last guardian

I would put it below Brothers, but above Journey.

Overall really fantastic. Starting my completionist run NOW.

Horp

Bought this yesterday. Playing on PS4 Pro. Annoyed with the fluctuating framerate. Really expected a steady 60, but it's far from it. Dipping below 30 when viewing long distances.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought this yesterday. Playing on PS4 Pro. Annoyed with the fluctuating framerate. Really expected a steady 60, but it's far from it. Dipping below 30 when viewing long distances.

It dips in odd locations that don't seem that complex or busy too. Frustrating.

It feels a lot more linear than I expected from the early world, and as a result I'm not finding many collectibles. I'll see how I feel when I finish whether I'll go back and do an exploring run. So far it feels very much like a team ICO game but with a bit of brothers, without reaching the heights of either (which isn't really a criticism). Overall a nice aesthetic and atmosphere though

Budi

Finished this over the weekend. Thought it was great.

Don´t think of it as a puzzle game - there are puzzles everywhere, but they are fairly easy - think of it as en "experience".

It´s a good mix of:

-Brothers - a tale of two sons
-Journey
-The last guardian

I would put it below Brothers, but above Journey.

Overall really fantastic. Starting my completionist run NOW.

High praise, I loved Brothers. If this is anywhere near that, I'll be ecstatic! Might need to get this sooner than I was planning to.

We just released a Producers Letter. If you're having issues with performance in RiME, please head over and give it a read.

https://www.greybox.com/rime/en/forum/topic/1575/?page=1#post-1870

Thank you, love the communication from you and rest of the team. It's very reassuring.

GlamFM

Banned
Are puzzles as easy and obvious as some publications like gamespot says? I really dislike games that are too easy even if they're pretty.

Yes. At least for me. (I´m an expert)

Seriously - I play a lot of puzzle games, it might be vastly different for someone else.

aaaaa0

Just finished it. Steam says it took 5.7 hours. Other than the conflict with SteamVR/Oculus, didn't notice any significant technical problems. Graphics settings on medium @ 1920x1200, seemed to hold 60 fps no problems. Played on a 980ti / 6700k / 32GB RAM.

Such a beautiful game.

EvB

I've really been engrossed in this, it's been a while since a game has captured me in this way.
I like the exploration of the ruins and swimming and the natural environment , it makes me think of both Tomb raider and Journey.
I really like the level of peril too, there are clear obstacles and enemies, but it's very relaxing to play and there is no stress involved.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just finished it. Steam says it took 5.7 hours. Other than the conflict with SteamVR/Oculus, didn't notice any significant technical problems. Graphics settings on medium @ 1920x1200, seemed to hold 60 fps no problems. Played on a 980ti / 6700k / 32GB RAM.

Such a beautiful game.
It's not a technical problem that a game with these graphics had to be set on medium to run well on a $600+ GPU?

Yeah damnnn, what is going on with this game? Unity?

I played it with everything on max apart from shadows on medium and TXAA not SSAO on a 970 and got 60fps about 80% of the time. Playing on 1080p res. A few dips every now and then in some random areas.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I played it with everything on max apart from shadows on medium and TXAA not SSAO on a 970 and got 60fps about 80% of the time. Playing on 1080p res. A few dips every now and then in some random areas.
Thanks for the info. That's my GPU/resolution and I can probably tolerate that kind of performance.

aaaaa0

It's not a technical problem that a game with these graphics had to be set on medium to run well on a $600+ GPU?

I didn't bother messing with the graphics settings. I think it picked medium by default, and I just left it there because the game looked fine. Lately I've become a lot less interested in fiddling with graphics settings instead of just enjoying the game.

It didn't crash. Didn't corrupt a savegame. Never got stuck, broke a puzzle, or ran into a gameplay/AI bug, or clipped through any geometry.

Yeah, that's a pretty low bar, but I've played lots of PC games that don't even meet that bar.

burgerdog

(reposting this from our other discussion thread)

Videos for you and one is in glorious, raw 4K/60! Though the game doesn't run at 60fps, it does seem to dip above 30 at times. That's the reason I captured at that frame rate.

RiME - Intro (4K/60, No Commentary, PS4 Pro)
https://youtu.be/PKdJ8J0WP1U

- On the Ps4 Pro it appears to run at about 30-40FPS in 4K. Unsure if there's officially Pro support, but for the record I do have Boost Mode enabled in case there's not.

Looking back, this is pretty funny given that the game runs at a max resolution of 1080p on pro.

On a scale from 0 to The Witness how would you rate the puzzles in Rime?

Oh goodness yeah don't go into the game expecting anything close. I'd go a 2 on that scale.

The puzzles are there to fill out the moment to moment gameplay. There are clever gimmicks but that's not the focus of the game at all.

Top Bottom