• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME |OT| Breath of the Child

plushyp

The original release for Deadlight also suffered from performance issues. Atleast they were mostly sorted out for the Director's cut... hope it doesn't take too long here.

MTC100

Banned
The explanation is quite simple. They are using Copy Protection to prevent piracy as long as possible unless and until the protection is broken. Should their copy protection be broken, there isn't much point in keeping it anymore and therefore will remove it via patch.

This notion is problematic though, I am sure it gives crackers an incentive to "go" for the title...

I don't feel strongly about DRM, I understand its in the developers interest that people that want to play the game also pay for it, even though we all know how well The Witcher 3 sold on PC without any kind of DRM, among other games.

In the end I do wonder if it's worth to invest into Denuvo and the belief that pirates would buy a game, just because they can't pirate it right now.

bumpkin

Thread seems super slow. I think the dodgy performance on every platform really killed the enthusiasm for this game.
It's not making me very excited for the Switch release.

Although maybe the fact it's coming later means it will benefit from optimization work being done for the initial platforms.

benzopil

Finished it. How someone can complain about the ending and give it a 6 is beyond my understanding, but opinions. Thankfully more people gave it higher scores.

Music is outstanding, 2nd place this year after NieR Automata for me.

So many emotions right now... Incredible game. I wish puzzles were harder after first hour (they seemed cool and original at the beginning but became easier later on) but who cares, Tequila guys surprised me and hopefully people will forget about that stupid rumor and won't miss this gem.

anddo0

The last few posts pretty telling.. Why do people question Sony dropping this title?
It's becoming pretty clear it had something to do with performance issues. Sony dropped them months ago. The game must have been running pretty abysmal if it still in this state after getting extra development time.

Shepard

The last few posts pretty telling.. Why do people question Sony dropping this title?
It's becoming pretty clear it had something to do with performance issues. Sony dropped them months ago. The game must have been running pretty abysmal if it still in this state after getting extra development time.

Do you think Sony dropped the game because performance was bad several months before release? Pretty hard to believe in that.

Enjoying this game greatly right now, the performance hasn't bothered me too much, the have been points where it's a bit rough, but nothing that has stopped my enjoyment.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love dogs, but certain smaller breeds have a shrill bark that I absolutely cannot stand.

The dog in this game is the worst example. Every time I hear it's shrill screechy bark it stresses me out and makes me cringe. Why did they choose such a nails on a chalkboard dog bark uggg.

shiba5

I love dogs, but certain smaller breeds have a shrill bark that I absolutely cannot stand.

The dog in this game is the worst example. Every time I hear it's shrill screechy bark it stresses me out and makes me cringe. Why did they choose such a nails on a chalkboard dog bark uggg.

It's a fox. That's what they sound like. Foxes can also make a noise that sounds like a woman being murdered. Be thankful they didn't use that.

Bought this site unseen, from what I knew I figured I'd like it, kinda wish I had bought it on PC. Seems like I'm real close to the end and I've only been playing for
like an hour and a half
not bothering with finding all the collectibles. It's nice but kinda boring. And I love The Witness. Don't like how, in the first portion, the music is just like always playing, kinda lame.

Kieli

I find that really hard to believe. Now I'm all the more curious why Sony would decide to drop this game when, for all intensive porpoises, it's a great game (that is unfortunately marred by performance issues).

Oh jesus, that stutter in the video posted is awful. I got like two hours in the game so far and haven't had anything like that at all, it's been pretty smooth outside of some issues with frames droppings from time to time. I'm running a 1070 and 6700k at max settings, txaa and 1440p downsampled. Whats your specs?

Shame it seems to have issues on all platforms, really loving the game.

cyba89

And yet the released The Last Guardian which had severe performance issues in some areas.

Kieli

And yet the released The Last Guardian which had severe performance issues in some areas.

Yeah, performance was really bad with TLG. Anytime you got to the outside with trees. Sometimes even in narrow hallways, the framerate would dip?!..

Why Sony dropped it is pretty obvious. Reposting my old post:

b8D1qY3.jpg

If you've paid attention to the last two years of Sony's announcement slate, you could already see a notable decline in announcements for "indie-scale" games from Sony WWS, as announcement portfolio has shifted from a ratio of:

60: AAA
30: Indie
10: Remaster

To somewhere around:

60: AAA
20: VR
10: Remaster
10: Indie

What can be gathered is that the last 18 months has seen a shift of portfolio alignment from an investment perspective, where funding that used to go to games like Rime/Edith Finch are re-routed to VR games, where the quantity of new VR announcements are roughly the same amount as the decline in indie first-party announcements.

There are still games that Sony are funding in that category, like Matterfall, but for every 3 indie game that Sony published in the past, now only 1 remain or somewhere along those lines.

It's quite clearly no coincidence that Wattam, Rime, Edith Finch were all dropped.

DocSeuss

You're making things up. These things have no basis in reality. You're spreading FUD with nothing to back it up at all. What's the point of your participation in this thread?

It's really interesting how people who aren't in the know assume Sony lacked faith in the title, when the reality is that Sony's support for indie games is being reduced. It's why games like Edith Finch and Rime went multiplat. Not only that, but some of the higher ups who championed indies at Sony no longer work there. Fun fact, all four execs who run Annapurna Interactive--the publisher of Edith Finch--are ex Sony execs who pushed indie titles over there (Nathan Gary, Deborah Mars, Hector Sanchez, and Jeff Legaspi). You might know them for their work on things like Journey, God of War, and Everbody's Gone to the Rapture. I had some fun discussions about Sony's waning support with some industry friends earlier this year.

Put simply, anyone suggesting that Sony dropped Rime because of Rime's quality only shows that they know nothing about how games are made or why.

Sony's backing away from indie games. It's that simple.

I'm still debating whether to buy the game myself. I've got some steam credit, so it would only cost me like $2, but there are a bunch of games I'm looking at right now.

Cmagus

what I got from it was that you
are playing as the kid, but
the game is about
the father dealing with loss and passing through the different stages of grief.
the chapter titles seem to imply this as well but tbh i've literally just finished it so need to think on it for a little while.

That's exactly what I got from it as well and the chapter select kind of confirms that. Also
the man in red seems to be the father but it's almost as if the story is showing how the father almost wishes it was him and not his son because you see the boat scene where the man in red (father) falls in and not the child but in one of the last scenes it's the child who goes overboard on the ship, that's how it kind of came off to me at least.

I mean in one of the last scenes the boy reaches the grieving father almost as if at the point is when he accepts what happened.I honestly think there is two stories going on, the father dealing with the loss of his son and the child making his way to limbo and accepting his fate.It's like when you make it to your father in the end both come to terms with what happens even though the boy is already dead.

Gonna sit down and work on the achievements tonight because I missed quite a few things along the way but the little story key holes you find certainly make more sense now.

Some new screens:

kanuuna

Framerate was a bit all over the place, but I didn't really mind any of it on my playthrough on a Pro. As for the game - it felt like a middle ground between a thatgamecompany game and TLG. Relaxing experience, good score (it's no Austin Wintory soundtrack) and visually maybe among the most consistent experiences I've played through this gen. I kind of wish the game hadn't relied as heavily on
murals
and
flashbacks
for it's storytelling, though. In regards to the ending
I was disappointed there was no open world to go back to to collect stuff or the like.

I wouldn't say it was definitely worth the 35€, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to take a break from some of the heavier and/or hectic titles out there if you can get it at a slight discount.

WipedOut

i came to it a year or two late and thought it was nothing.

Maybe it did not age well.
Journey was great and still is after all these years Glam, must have been too many Destiny Bounties.

Finally nailed down a decent 4k setup after fidgeting for a long time. Game has been pretty good so far.

EhoaVash

Hmm when this game was first shown I thought it would be like Zelda and got kinda excited....but now it sounds like it's more like the game Ico.

I hated Ico.

Cmagus

Hmm when this game was first shown I thought it would be like Zelda and got kinda excited....but now it sounds like it's more like the game Ico.

I hated Ico.

It has some similarities and I'm not a huge fan of Ico but imo this is better than Ico.

Montresor

Really great game so far.
It's like The Witness meets Journey.
Love the soundtrack too.

From your avatar I assume you're on Xbox.

Is the frame rate hurting your enjoyment?

If yes I'll refund and wait for Scorpio. If not then I'll dive in. I'm a few minutes in. The world is beautiful. Love all the seagulls.Takes me back to Wind Waker.

But I need to know if frame rate ruins the experience.

Lima

From your avatar I assume you're on Xbox.

Is the frame rate hurting your enjoyment?

If yes I'll refund and wait for Scorpio. If not then I'll dive in. I'm a few minutes in. The world is beautiful. Love all the seagulls.Takes me back to Wind Waker.

But I need to know if frame rate ruins the experience.

It's not 1080p on Xbox and the framerate is garbage. Do not buy yet.

Hey everyone,
I have seen some conversations about our use of Denuvo anti-tamper, and I wanted to take a moment to address it. We have had discussions about Denuvo internally, and one of the key points of all of those discussions have simply been, we want to ensure the best gaming experience for RiME players. RiME is a very personal experience told through both sight and sound. When a game is cracked, it runs the risk of creating issues with both of those items, and we want to do everything we can to preserve this quality in RiME.

We are very committed to this, but also to the simple fact that nothing is infallible. That being said, if RIME is cracked we will release a Denuvo free version of RiME and update existing platforms.

I hope this doesn't come across as mean spirited but I've been highly anticipating this game and was ready to buy it the second it launched until I found out it had Denuvo. I also skipped buying Prey and Bulletstorm Remastered Day 1 for the same reason and it's very frustrating to me that as a consumer I need to forgo certain purchases because of the poor decision to include Denuvo.

I'm sure when the idea of including Denuvo comes up internally there must be some people that think it will potentially lead to more sales but anecdotally speaking and only speaking for myself I will never buy a game with Denuvo no matter how badly I want the game. I've had to skip over several games that otherwise would have been day one purchases solely due to the inclusion of a DRM that is supposedly in place to gain additional purchases when it's having the exact opposite effect.

The interview in EDGE 305 with Tequila tells a different story. Tequila wanted out themselves, own the rights and publish on more platforms. Publisher Greybox made that happen apparantly.

Montresor

account.microsoft.com
Under the 'Payment & Billing' header click on 'Order History'
Items that you have purchased that meet their refund rules should have a 'Request a Refund' link with it

Couldn't find it. I've met the refund rules. It's been a day since the game came out. I played less than 2 hours. It's been less than 2 weeks since I bought it. Still no Refund button.

Amazingly enough someone at Microsoft Chat/Support refunded it with this message:

"We do not usually do this because all transactions are considered as final but I have bargained with my manager and she gave me an approval to process this one time refund for you since you're a valued and loyal customer."

The person was not even aware of this "self-service refund" thing. Which is not a good look on that support person. But I still got my refund. Which is on the flip side a very very good look for that support person. I gave him positive feedback.

I am extremely disappointed because this game looks like it could be a Witness-level GOTY candidate. But I can wait until Scorpio and play the GOTY-candidate possibly at a sale price and with excellent performance.

Scorpio can't come fast enough.

V3rt1go

I like this game more than Journey....is that weird?

I think it's more balanced in terms of "visual narrative experience & actual game"

PS: played on a PS4 Pro and felt only ocasional drops.

Gbraga

I didn't know The Last Guardian and Bloodborne were multiplatform. Brb, buying the PC version.

I'm unsure if I should buy this now or wait, I'm gonna buy it on PC and have a higher end machine, but I feel like the response is mixed on the performance of the PC version.

Anyone figure out how to open this door yet in the first stage? I assume it opens since there is a push block there.

You need to go out from where you came before entering this room and drop down a ledge, you'll see a white marker where you can drop down.

Cmagus

You need to go out from where you came before entering this room and drop down a ledge, you'll see a white marker where you can drop down.

Ah thank you it was driving me nuts. I was lighting all the torches, triggering switches but I missed the ledge.The collectibles in this are pretty difficult to find they're well hidden.

Weiss

Banned
At the part where
you swim underwater to find two keys for a door and the bird swoops down on you
and am totally lost. Can anyone help?

At the part where
you swim underwater to find two keys for a door and the bird swoops down on you
and am totally lost. Can anyone help?

What do you mean ?
Where exactly ? if you mean after you get the two keys then you have to swim underwater again to find another entrance to the little isolated island with a windmill

PaulloDEC

I'm happy to have bought the game now, but I think I'll hold off playing until we've had a few patches. There's areas at the very start of the game that barely crack 60fps on my machine (core i7, 12gb RAM, GTX 970) at the LOW preset, which doesn't seem right.

I can't find the keys.

The keys are respectively found through caves on the right and left side of the main entrance, you just have to dive and five the underwater caves, use the bubbles to find them as there is usually one bubble just before the entrance

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's a fox. That's what they sound like. Foxes can also make a noise that sounds like a woman being murdered. Be thankful they didn't use that.

Foxes may be able to make noises like this, but they certainly don't make them every 2 seconds. I'm willing to bet a fox "barks" less in it's lifetime than this thing does in 5 minutes.

It's an incredibly annoying sound, and just because it's "authentic" I don't think anyone would have minded if they took some artistic license and dulled the shrillness slightly.

Top Bottom