• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME |OT| Breath of the Child

I've been trying to find a physical copy for a friend and it's pretty tough to find one right now. Nothing seems to be available for delivery in the US in the next two weeks or so.

Is this just a really low print run for the physical, or did it sell better than expectations?

Hoping for the latter, but I have a feeling it's more the former.

Wozman23

Interesting thoughts, Wozman23 and others. I feel that i will experience the game different on my second playthrough and think more about what is actually happening in the game. I look forward to it. Should i start a new game or will i lose my collectibles? Also, i don't care about throphies (only reached 27% iirc) but i had a look at the list and most of them seem quite fun to discover and do. Though i have no clue how to achieve most of them yet.

And yes, Vane is next up on my list of most anticipated games :) I just love these type of games.

Not sure what happens if you choose new game, but if you just choose the first chapter in the chapter selection, the game will play out all the same with your collectible progress intact. As far as the achievements and collectibles, the keyholes actually enhance the story, as does the White Shade achievement. A handful of the collectible and achievements are fairly straight forward, but after playing through some of the areas twice and still coming up short I resorted to youtube videos. I'd probably never have found a couple of the collectibles on my own.

Following what Wozman23 theorized above...

Fits perfectly.
I didn't really think about how the Sentinels actually destroy the Shade.

Icarus

I've been trying to find a physical copy for a friend and it's pretty tough to find one right now. Nothing seems to be available for delivery in the US in the next two weeks or so.

Is this just a really low print run for the physical, or did it sell better than expectations?

Just checked Gamestop.com (for PS4)... says it ships within 24 hours, which would seem to suggest it's in stock.

Just finished this. A little torn. Didn't get me emotionally like Journey at the end. Didn't wow me like Abzu. Enjoyed it quite a bit but less as the game went on. Preferred the early areas. Think had it been a bit cheaper (psn) would be less torn.

Still. Good experience. Glad I got to play.

About the same way I'm feeling after finishing it.
Really enjoy these type of experiences.
Brothers is probably still tops for me.

sublimit

Banned
Got the game today (PS4 version with the island map).Now i have to wait until the 20th of June to get back to my PS4 and be able to play it (along with a massive 2017 backlog). It's times like these that i feel the Switch's concept is a blessing.

Hoping for the latter, but I have a feeling it's more the former.

Bought my copy at Gamestop (XB1), I would check there.

They are also running an extra 50% trade credit promo when you buy the game, if that's your thing.

All videos of the game I've seen is the kid solving some kind of puzzle. If this is not a puzzle game, what else do you do?
I think the line is the intent of the puzzles.

In Rime, the puzzles seem to be in the service of the exploratiom and embarking across the island, discovering new mechanisms, unlocking structures, and so on. It's a platformer/exploration game with puzzles

While in The Witness, the focus is on the gradual understanding and learning of the puzzle mechanics, with an upward curve of challenge through increasingly tricky puzzles. There's exploration and an interesting landscape, but the focus is definitely more on the logic and growing understanding of the puzzles, how they work, how to use the knowledge in one area to solve puzzles in other areas. Many times, the environment is in service of the puzzles, through the use of perspective or shadows or glass or trees or the layout of areas and so on

notacat

Very good game I got on a whim, wanted to recommend it. Really liked the music and aesthetics of it all.

Finished it after two evenings, but hardly got any hidden stuff. It's neat how the fox guides you to your goal, but you're actually quite free to explore.

Music was nice, puzzles were generally logical and clever without getting in the way. Framerate was very variable on my Pro. Overall a much more complete game than Abzu, which felt literally like underwater Journey. This is more of a mix of Ico and Brothers mechanically, with design ideas from Journey and Ghibli movies.

4/5, pretty good.

TripOpt55

I have been playing this the past few days and I love it. The gameplay, the visuals, the music, the atmosphere... it is all just so good. I can't wait to play more.

louiedog

They're following through with the Denuvo stuff.

Hi everybody,

We wanted to give you an update regarding the use of Denuvo anti-tamper software in RiME. Today, we got word that there was a crack which would bypass Denuvo. Upon receiving this news, we worked to test this and verify that it was, in fact, the case. We have now confirmed that it is. As such, we at Team Grey Box are following through on our promise from earlier this week that we will be replacing the current build of RiME with one that does not contain Denuvo. Please make sure your PC version of RiME has been updated, if it has not done so automatically.

Team Grey Box is also committed both to supporting the games we publish and to our player base, so this is definitely not the final update you will see with RiME. We are currently working on our first traditional patch, which we are aiming to release next week. This patch will provide a fix for the VR initialization bug, and will also provide a fix to some specific instances of hardware-related crashes, among other updates which will be detailed at the time. We sincerely thank players who have reported issues, and a special thanks to those who have worked with us to provide additional details, DxDiag files, and the like. We want to continue giving you the best product we possibly can.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns you may have. Thanks again for your continued support!

Tim "Dariuas" Slager
RiME Community Manager

RPS really liked it
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/01/rime-review/
Rime is a compelling and beautiful game, a distillation of the non-combat sides of classics like Tomb Raider, Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time, and a good dose of Fumito Ueda’s Sony games, delivering elaborate third-person exploration and adventure without an attack button. And without any instructions. What makes Rime such a peculiar project is it requires its audience to already be fluent in the vocabulary of its genre, to have a complete set of assumptions about what a such a game expects of its player

Which is, in many ways, brilliant. Having spent so much of my life playing the games that inspired it – Ico, multiple Tomb Raiders, a dose of Zelda – I’m fortunate to have the fluency to know what it wants me to do. I can only imagine what a strange experience it must be for anyone who is not so fortunate.

eXistor

Finished it yesterday. Not very impressed overall. It was fine I guess, but it felt kinda derivative, I've seen this type of game a few times too many for this one to stand out in any way. It's a decent enough romp though, but it didn't make much of an impression. The ending to me was a "well duh" moment instead of invoking any emotions.

Lowmelody

My first impressions of this game are not good. It's sluggish and boring af. Feels like a chore to play because of how slow the main character moves. I'll try it for a little longer but for now I'm pretty disappointed.

Just finished. Really liked the experience. Thank you Tequila Works.

Overall, it certainly doesn't break new ground in its genre, but it's a very solid entry among the likes of Ico and Journey. It's not shy about its influences, and it feels satisfying to piece together the story through the end. If anything, Rime takes the blueprint laid out by its predecessors, and packages it into what feels like a complete experience.

My biggest complaint is that it seems to end a bit more abruptly than it feels like it should. Maybe the development budget was getting tight near the end? While the ending did bring the story to its conclusion, I was expecting something a bit grander a la Journey or Abzu. I also felt like the puzzles were ramping up a bit through the
first two worlds
, but they kind of
took a back seat through the rest of the game

I am looking forward to going back and finding the multitude of collectibles I missed, and ultimately I think that this game will age better than some of its peers, and I look forward to revisiting it down the road. Glad I grabbed a physical copy.

Just popping in to follow up on the very bad crashing in the rain world level I mentioned previously. I swapped out my first 1080 Ti for a different one and did a clean install of drivers, then ran through that level (well I stopped before the actual end, but got through the parts it had crashed on) without any crashes. I can't say that solved it for sure, but with any hope and considering that I seem to be the only one where it crashed so bad there, it was either a bad graphics card or drivers that caused the problem and not the game itself.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished it. Lovely little game.

Man that ending. Jeez.

The platforming could have been a bit tighter, but nowhere near Last Guardian level of jank.

E: Oh yeah, the music was fantastic. Really fit the aesthetics of the game.

Bought from the Xbox Store at launch. The game is so much fun and i love the art style. Witness and firewatch use similar art styles and the gameplay reminds me of Inside ,Journey and Ico. glad the game turned out great.I keep switching between this, Cities Skylines, Friday the 13th and Injustice 2 atm.

JonnyKong

Just finished it this morning.

I'd give it an 8/10 overall. I agree with whoever it was that said in this thread that the best parts are in the first half, the locations became less interesting to explore towards the end. The rain level in particular I thought was quite mundane. Luckily there are lots of heart-swelling beautiful moments throughout the game to distract us from the fact there's not a lot going on gameplay wise.

Even though I liked the game, I'm not sure I'd recommend it at the current high asking price, especially as it felt like it was over quite quickly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is being criminally underrated. If you liked ico, you'll love this. it feels quite similar to that classic only with much more varied gameplay, level design, and environments. It's beautiful.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
exploring can be rewarding, but curious how it will work on the switch without trophies, i like the devs acknowledging when I've found a special, hidden place, even if it doesn't have a collectible.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
One of the best games I've played this year (so far). Absolutely loved it.
Same, actually it's my favorite game of the year so far! It's just plain amazing. The music, atmosphere, graphics, gameplay and no fucking chores (FU BOTW).

sn00zer

For Witness fans how is the game? Kinda worried really simple puzzles will feel like road blocks rather than fun to solve.

For Witness fans how is the game? Kinda worried really simple puzzles will feel like road blocks rather than fun to solve.

It's nothing like The Witness, at all. Don't go into it expecting puzzles like that. The puzzles in Rime are much, much, much simpler and honestly I wouldn't even call it a puzzle game. It has more Uncharted-style climbing than actual puzzles. About the only real comparison it can draw to The Witness is the flat cell shaded graphics style. That's not to say it's not a good game, I really enjoyed it, but make sure you have the proper expectations going in.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've completed the game in one long session today (almost four hours). I am a bit disappointed, because of the very (very) simple puzzles and the huge amount of plain walking without any challenge. The game had some creative ideas and also some fun puzzles, but in my eyes, the gameplay cannot match the fantastic aesthetics of the game. Also, the game is a bit anticlimatic, because after (structural spoiler)
the third of five levels
, the game just stops with the puzzles alltogether and degardes to pure walking and climbing. Still, it was enjoyable enough and for players who like the "experience games" style it might even be great. That is, if you are able to look past the technical issues. Some of the problems I encountered on Xbox One:
- horrible unstable framerate
- in the second level, there is a (spoiler for a main feature of the level)
bird enemy who always attacks you from above, when you are within reach
. At one point the game glitched out and I could be attacked anywhere, including
under water
, I had no other way of proceeding than reloading my last save.
- in the third level, (spoiler for a main feature of the level)
during the part where you follow / guide the long legged creature through the black monsters
, the game suddenly decided to kill me off after a while. I experimented a while with this, but the game continued to just strike my character dead out of the blue. I had to reload.
- at one point, the game hung up upon loading the level (one of the restarts I mentioned above)

This is absolutely not a good look for a sub-4-hour-game.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Who cares about $/&)$ framerate is a game like this?! Really I don't get people, this is an experience game, not a frigging shooter game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Who cares about $/&)$ framerate is a game like this?! Really I don't get people, this is an experience game, not a frigging shooter game.

Obviously an unstable frame rate and other performance issues suck, but I agree with you. It barely hampered my experience with this wonderful game (But would have greatly in other genres to be sure).

Bought from the Xbox Store at launch. The game is so much fun and i love the art style. Witness and firewatch use similar art styles and the gameplay reminds me of Inside ,Journey and Ico. glad the game turned out great.I keep switching between this, Cities Skylines, Friday the 13th and Injustice 2 atm.

How does it run on the Xbone?

Just saw that there's a CE and was willing to get if the performance is good.

Any word on the resolution???

Majmun

Wait, this game released?? Rime? Fuckn RIME?! That game that was hyped for yearsss? I think it was on a few of my several most wanted lists as well

This flop topic is quite shocking. What happened...

Wait, this game released?? Rime? Fuckn RIME?! That game that was hyped for yearsss? I think it was on a few of my several most wanted lists as well

This flop topic is quite shocking. What happened...

Nothing? It's just not a very popular genre, and wasn't advertised very well at that, so not having a super active OT just follows. Most people who play it enjoy it unless they can't live with performance issues or had the wrong expectations for the game.

gdt

After some slight tweaking with the pc version I'm getting 60fps locked and it looks amazing.

And I'm also enjoying the hell out of the game. Light and the music is amazing. A very nice breather of a game after a grueling couple of gaming months. And right after Persona.

gdt

Jittery frame rate was making the game ugly and constantly taking me out of it. It didn't look or feel nice to pan the camera and it felt awful approaching water. After some tweaks the game feels and looks amazing at 60fps. High framerate for me looks and plays great.

And that of course would help any game, no matter what.

yurinka

Is the game under 5 hours and 35 bucks? Thats not very tempting at the moment
According to this site, the average is 6h
http://www.gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/Rime/

But if you go in speed run mode, Ocarina of time takes under 20 minutes so it's the worst game ever.

The game is very cool but very different compared to The Witness. In Rime most puzzles are super easy and there are way less.

It's more focused on experiencing beaty through discovery and easy gameplay, a bit like Journey but less linear and with some very soft Uncharted-like platforming and climbing (without shootings). Instead of The Witness, it isn't focused on a lot of challenging puzzles.

Nothing? It's just not a very popular genre, and wasn't advertised very well at that, so not having a super active OT just follows. Most people who play it enjoy it unless they can't live with performance issues or had the wrong expectations for the game.

I think the whole Denuvo issues took the wind out of its sails a bit as well. Bad move on the devs part, even if it didn't seem to be malicious.

To be totally honest, given Ueda has been my favorite developer since literally the day of Ico's release, I expected to enjoy this more. I kind of fell off a bit - feels like a Team Ico tribute act a bit. I'll give it another whirl, but it certainly hasn't grabbed me the way I thought it would.

Top Bottom