• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

Glass Rebel

Some people are saying that the Darksiders IP itself wasn't on the table, just Vigil.

But yeah, I'm not expecting a miraculous recovery.

Vigil and their new project Crawler actually. Darksiders III wasn't being worked on and therefore considered a legacy IP and not up for sale in the first round.

blackflag

I still don't understand how Darksiders didn't do better. Both of them are really fun, I like the artstyle, love the world they've created.

This just sucks.

Xun

.. so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.
This post is sad, but especially this part. :(

tragic

Developer
8413039842_cc00a9c4c2_b.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
Just thinking about 3 console manufacturers beginning new hardware cycles around the same time....4 valve? all fighting for our dollars with gimmicks and shitty services and none of them stepped up to buy a developer that we all respect. Great. Good job games.

This really sucks. Darksiders isn't a perfect franchise but the games have a unique look and are real gems in the almost-dead puzzly 3D action-adventure genre. Darksiders 2 was on the brink of being incredible. Without a doubt, Vigil would be a top tier AAA developer with a bit more experience.

Fuck this sucks. There has to be some sort of Joe Mad curse. Almost every single game he has had a part in has either been cancelled or went under shortly after.

VaLiancY

One thing I like about the most about the gaming community is how other developers are immediately reaching out to help.

Daante

Darksiders 1 was one of my favorite new IP:s this gen! <3
I bought number 2 on the release day, although i havent been able to play it in a long time due to the motion sickness i got.
Hope the talent that obviously is within the studio is taken care of and that it works out well for everyone!

Darksiders 3 with Vigil talent combined with Platinum games = wet dream

Darkone

Loved Darksiders 1, & 2 was AWESOME.
It is a sad day that there won`t be another one in the series to continue the story of the 4 horsemen and a world with a great lore to be told.

if i was only know someone rich enough to buy the rights, dammit!!!

Denzar

Goddamnit. I never got around to buying DS2, but I wanted to! I feel guilty.

I'll buy it in the future, for sure.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Surprised and saddened that the Darksiders IP was not part of the bundle for bidding on Vigil. You have to think that including the franchise the studio was known for would have made them a much more attractive acquisition for someone.

This industry really sucks.

How do you look at what that team put out in their FIRST TWO GAMES and think 'nah, there's no talent or equity here, these people and their work aren't worth anything'.?

You'd either have to be a moron, or an accountant, some studio higher-up who doesn't even bother looking at or analyzing the content of the studios their acquiring, just balance sheets.

scitek

What really sucks is that, had they started work on Darksiders 3, I think there's a chance they may have been picked up by someone - even if for cheap - because at least that franchise has an established fanbase and has proven it can sell copies in the millions.

Top Bottom