• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Final Previews Released

cripterion

Sad because it will be the much better game. This is basically Nioh 3 in an open-world settings. People are very happy with the combat and world systems, the opposite of usually shallow open-world western games.
It's definitely not Nioh 3 when the only thing you're fighting is human enemies. And sounds like the combat also took a downgrade...

shamo42

It seems the game will be released in two different ratings in Japan. Does anyone know what the differences are? This is what the amazon.jp description says:
The CERO "Z" version of the "Rise of the Ronin Z version, which is equivalent to the CERO rating "Z". We also sell "Rise of the Ronin" which represents the CERO rating "D", so please be careful when purchasing.

VbA0eoB.png

splattered

Game didn't look good to me from the start, and I usually enjoy these types of games.. never had high hopes. I think stellar blade is going to disappoint too. Not as bad as Ronin but still.

*I take back what I said about stellar blade, just checked out the demo thread and it's looking pretty spicy. Hopefully it isn't just all flash no substance but damn visually looks great.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Came to post this.

His impressions along with Fightincowboy's means I'm all in on Dragon's Dogma 2 instead.

Will wait a month or so to see where lasting impressions land for this, but I'm not overly optimistic so far.

The point that made me lose my interest in the game were the open world mechanics in the style of Ubisoft.
Team Ninja might be trying to expand the consumer appeal with some of these decisions, but they might lose a lot more by going away from their usual fans.

GHG

The point that made me lose my interest in the game were the open world mechanics in the style of Ubisoft.
Team Ninja might be trying to expand the consumer appeal with some of these decisions, but they might lose a lot more by going away from their usual fans.

This game has hard flop written all over it to be honest.

If you're going to do an open world game like this then you need to double down on the mystery of the world and empower you players to figure it out as they go (Elden Ring style) or go all out and create something that looks bombastic with high production values despite having a familiar open world structure (ghost of tsushima).

They are doing neither here and are attempting to straddle a line that nobody is asking for. I don't know who this is for, but from the sound of it, it certainly isn't me.

Needlecrash

Game didn't look good to me from the start, and I usually enjoy these types of games.. never had high hopes. I think stellar blade is going to disappoint too. Not as bad as Ronin but still.

*I take back what I said about stellar blade, just checked out the demo thread and it's looking pretty spicy. Hopefully it isn't just all flash no substance but damn visually looks great.
After playing the demo for Stellar Blade, I can assure you there's nothing to worry about.

Needlecrash

Whenever a publisher/developer provides B-roll footage, instead of Youtubers providing THEIR own footage, it's not usually a good sign. I don't remember if this was done with Nioh or not (though both Nioh 1 and 2 turned out pretty good).

I think I will hold off until the PC release.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Problem is giant games like GTA, UBI, Bethesda etc…. sell high production open world games at the same $70. So a lot of studios try to replicate them with big scope to entice value gamers who prioritize quantity as a key factor.

Another thing about gaming too is that when you hear about devs making a new studio and the founders are all veteran industry people notice how their new game they need funding is always a big splashy game?

There’s no turning back. They can only go up. Not too often you see these vets open up a studio and make indie games for $10. Too low brow. Those games are made by broke noname losers. Experienced workers from big companies can only make games similar to what they made before. That’s a disaster waiting to happen. You’d think like any business, you’d start small and grow responsibly. But they go head first into a lake assuming there’s no rocks. And if they could make big games at EA, it means they can make it at their grassroots studio. Makes no sense.

I’ve always worked at big corporations. Even my first job out of university was at a big company we all know. If I was to open my own business one day (I wouldn’t), it would be stupid if I tried to replicate making shit like proctor and gamble or Panasonic. I’d start small and see how it goes instead of going balls deep in the first try.

As I said many times. gaming and tech has too much money and debt floating around. And too many weird egos. No wonder so many companies spend like crazy like money is unlimited. And why their corporate culture can be so toxic and volatile. You got a bunch of Wild West kind of people with a bag of cash to spend.
Glen Schofield comes to mind.

Pelao

I'm going to need a demo if they expect me to spend $70 at launch.
Nioh, Nioh 2 and Wo Long had demos available to the public well in advance of their releases, so the lack of one with so few days remaining is already a concern.
I've liked everything I've seen so far, but the fact that it's only B-roll provided by the publisher makes me wary.

Schmendrick

The consensus of the previews drifts more and more into "meh" territory.
Hope team ninja didn't take too many risks with that game and can go back to creating what they're good at after this...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hope team ninja didn't take to many risks with that game and can go back to creating what they're good at after this...
What wrong with taking risks? I want developers continue take risks even there is a chance they might fail, that how we get interesting games.

Came to post this.

His impressions along with Fightincowboy's means I'm all in on Dragon's Dogma 2 instead.

Will wait a month or so to see where lasting impressions land for this, but I'm not overly optimistic so far.
Both of their impressions are making me think this game is for me. I loved ghost of Tsushima but could never get into Nioh or wo long.

I wanted a more streamlined gameplay with difficulty options in an open world. I don’t have enough game time for every game to always be really challenging.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If this open world looked stunning I wonder what they called Ghosts of Tsushima? Anyhow, game looks fine.

I really liked Nioh 2 but christ on a stick it was hard. Don’t feel like subjecting myself to that again.

It seems the game will be released in two different ratings in Japan. Does anyone know what the differences are? This is what the amazon.jp description says:

VbA0eoB.png

It has to do with violence/gore, specifically dismemberment/decapitation. Japan censores violence in videogames, CERO Z *usually* means the gore is left as intended. Lollipop Chainsaw is another game that had dual releases, I'm sure there have been a handful of others but I specifically remember that one on store shelves here. Personally I'd still go with the NA version to guarantee nothing was toned down.

Top Bottom