• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

RuhRo

Stunning looking game but good grief the writing is terribad. Every scene is exposition central, and every exchange is overly dramatic in a way that feels completely unrealistic and unearned. The underlying plot is both incredibly generic and completely silly, which makes it all be more laughable how seriously this game takes itself. Most cringe inducing cut scenes in a game since Mirror's Edge Catalyst (and very similar writing and performance issues in both cases).

It's a testament to how low reviewers' standards are for plot and writing that "Rise" didn't receive a widespread drubbing for this.

Still no patch then?
What a clusterfuck.

Is there any way to downgrade to the old patch before they broke the game?

Yeah quite dissapointing, especially considering how digital foundry praised them for the excellent support. Bad framepacing is becoming a real problem that a lot of developers are having lately.

So, is there any difference in content between buying the first release plus the season pass, and the 20 anniversary one? On Xbox One, of course.

Lady Gaia

Yeah quite dissapointing, especially considering how digital foundry praised them for the excellent support. Bad framepacing is becoming a real problem that a lot of developers are having lately.

There's a potential tension between input lag and frame pacing. I wonder if all the aggressive pushback regarding input lag didn't encourage delaying input measurement to the point where some frames can't be rendered in time, or getting frames rendered rapidly to the screen early.

Lady Gaia

Really disappointing...is this going to get patched in or not? Hard to find any info about it

I haven't seen any indication that it will, but perhaps they're trying to sort through how best to support PC, Xbox, and PS4 HDR in a single code base? Standards are just emerging here so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something of a minefield for developers.

It could also be something as simple as skyboxes that weren't authored with HDR in mind. Some of the most obvious opportunities involve backgrounds, not just in-game lighting.

Looks like they're pretty much done with patches and are just going to leave the game permanently broken.

Man, 1.04 was perfectly fine! It ran great and the controller lag was greatly reduced.... nobody asked for 1.05.

Sometimes I really hate patches because they can break things that worked perfectly before and there's no way to go back to the previous patch... it's either play the disc version, or play the broken version... and with ROTTR, the disc version was broken because of the horrific controller lag.

chefbags

So uh, it's on sale for $30 on holiday deal for psn. Is it worth it? Or should I wait for a patch that'll maybe never come? Lol

JayB1920

So the PC version is still the version to get? 1070/6700k user. I also have a PS4 Pro.

Absolutely. While the PS4 Pro enhanced visual mode added many of the PC improvements to the game the PC version still has pulls ahead with higher resolution shadows, higher resolution textures. You also get much better Ambient Occlusion with either HBAO+ or VXAO as well as the ability to run the game at a locked 60fps and full 4K.

Here are two comparisons of the PC exclusive ambient Occlusion techniques. On is very similar to the PS4 version in both comparisons.

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-002-hbao-plus-vs-on.html
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...ractive-comparison-009-nvidia-vxao-vs-on.html

Truant

Absolutely. While the PS4 Pro enhanced visual mode added many of the PC improvements to the game the PC version still has pulls ahead with higher resolution shadows, higher resolution textures. You also get much better Ambient Occlusion with either HBAO+ or VXAO as well as the ability to run the game at a locked 60fps and full 4K.

Here are two comparisons of the PC exclusive ambient Occlusion techniques. On is very similar to the PS4 version in both comparisons.

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-002-hbao-plus-vs-on.html
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...ractive-comparison-009-nvidia-vxao-vs-on.html

Thanks! I actually owned the game for a few hours on my old i5/970 rig, but refunded it after I couldn't get a decent IQ/FPS balance during the open world sections. Did the performance improve after release?

zoobzone

I bought the game on Xbox One, never bothered to play it and then I sold the console.

Now I have it on PC (with no DLC) but I still didn't get around to play it, then today the new wave of PSN holiday sales arrived and it's at 50% off.

Should I play it on PC with 3440x1440 or get it on PS4 Pro?

I check every day for an update. I can't believe they'd let it stay in this broken state.

I wish they could give us a choice between ultra responsive controls at the cost of frame pacing, or slightly heavier controls at the cost of a smooth frame rate.

It seems like you can't have both at the same time.

SURGEdude

I check every day for an update. I can't believe they'd let it stay in this broken state.

I wish they could give us a choice between ultra responsive controls at the cost of frame pacing, or slightly heavier controls at the cost of a smooth frame rate.

It seems like you can't have both at the same time.

I'm kinda of a deranged fan of this game seeing as I own it on 360/XB1/PC and just today PS4. I've noticed the weird frame pacing, which is annoying because I was really pumped after I heard good things on PS4 and figured it'd be a nice Pro showcase. I know it's rude to ask for a summary of the thread but would anyone mind pointing me to a post or two that sum up what went wrong in the later patches?

I happened to grab it used so if it's a big deal I might actually return it and wait for a sale. Thanks for any help guys.

SURGEdude

Like halfway? Maybe a bit less?

Really depends on how people do the tombs and DLC. If a person were just doing required stuff only it's be 2/3rs I'd say. But this isn't a game full of filler missions and such so halfway at most I'd venture but likely quite a bit less, as you say.

MazeHaze

Banned
Really disappointing...is this going to get patched in or not? Hard to find any info about it
Well it's been advertised as a game that will get pc hdr support, so I imagine consoles will get that patch too, I hope! Beautiful game!

Edit: for some prior questions, I'm on a 980 sc and i5 4690k at 1080p with mostly ultra and hbao and it runs ok. Dips here and there, I could prop dick around with settings for 10 minutes and get a locked 60 for what it's worth. But man this game is a looker. I thought uc4 was the best looking game of the year (and I play on pc mostly) but the lighting engine in this game is bonkers.

black070

Finally, good! Have you tried it or are you just going on the patch notes?

The patch notes only say 'improved frame rate stability', but since I very conveniently only started playing this yesterday, I left my session a moment ago and rebooted the game to try the new patch out as it installed, jumped right back in where I left off and it feels noticeably improved.

Finished the other day. I don't see myself going back to pick up any missing items or challenges, this game was much more exhausting than the first in terms of collectibles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They fixed it. Only played a couple mins, but it's gone, far as I can tell in that span.

Good job.

Pssst: auto-center camera toggle next please. lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome news about frame pacing. Nixxes really are wizards. Input lag and frame pacing are the kind of things I feel most devs simply fear trying to tackle as they worry it would break bigger things elsewhere (typical fear for a non-god tier programmer who knows what they're doing, but don't really know what they're doing, lol).

I'm not sure what AO solution is used on Pro version, but it's not the bog-standard one like that - they mentioned something about it in the DF video. Maybe it's HBAO (not plus), or some proprietary one, I'm not sure.

Seems like the input lag took a bit of a hit in 1.06. It feels like its back to 1.04 levels, but the frame rate is very solid.

Looks like we can't have both issues fixed at the same time.

Mediking

Angry Lara is best Lara. Now I'm back to playing the game after I saw a cutscene of Lara actually getting angry at a character.

One of the reasons why I stepped away from this game I was so hyped for is because Lara wasn't really showing much a personality and one of the early areas is a huge "you can't do anything until you get the right part" which annoyed me SO much.

But I'm back in.

The face models in this game is amazing. I forgot how good Lara looks in the game. She's stunning. Her face and hair are modeled really good.

Dante316

I guess I'm in the minority. Got this game few weeks ago and played it on and off. And have to say this is the worst running ps4 and ps4 pro game I have played. The frame pacing is horrible. The hit detection, the slow downs just excruciatingly bad. I get dizzy trying to be play this :(,

Top Bottom