• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does anyone in this thread know what the best way is of contacting the devs?
Idk but apparently this dev who did the port does a commendable job of listening to feedback. They actually fixed the input lag and deadzone (something that was never even acknowledged on the X1 version) in two separate patches. Unfortunately the last patch broke the framerate. So at some point you have to wonder when their patch support will end for this game and they move on to other things.

There's no real financial incentive to fix the fps at this point, all the official reviews and coverage was done when the fps was functioning as intended (and look at this thread most feedback is positive -- people aren't commenting on it like they did about the input lag issue). And probably the game has gotten most of the sales it's going to at a decent price point. Idk... I'd be surprised to see another patch, since it's only costing them money at this point. Would be nice though.

DeaDPo0L84

So I have a strange issue with this game... The packaging. The digibook version is bigger than standard ps4 cases and therefore sticks out of my shelf like a sore thumb. Also cardboard sleeves no matter how well you handle it always get shelf wear which is annoying. Does any store for sure sell standard copies of this game in a normal ps4 case?

dan2026

Idk but apparently this dev who did the port does a commendable job of listening to feedback. They actually fixed the input lag and deadzone (something that was never even acknowledged on the X1 version) in two separate patches. Unfortunately the last patch broke the framerate. So at some point you have to wonder when their patch support will end for this game and they move on to other things.

There's no real financial incentive to fix the fps at this point, all the official reviews and coverage was done when the fps was functioning as intended (and look at this thread most feedback is positive -- people aren't commenting on it like they did about the input lag issue). And probably the game has gotten most of the sales it's going to at a decent price point. Idk... I'd be surprised to see another patch, since it's only costing them money at this point. Would be nice though.

This really sucks.
So I either play with patch and fucked frame pacing or without and input lag?

I'm really kinda pissed off. Only bought this game today.

Gren

Not terribly impressed with this so far; it's feels too much like the first, just with more collectibles littering the landscape. So far much of my gameplay has been exploration-heavy, so I would've appreciated more new puzzle concepts (i.e. still doing the same "crank this wheel, create a rope-bridge there, etc" stuff).

EDIT: Only on Siberia now, doing the Baba Yaga mission, & I can't wait to get out of this region. Hope to see more things like the water puzzles from the earlier section (Syria) later on.

Trickster

Just regular PS4. The lighting looks better and there seems to be improved AA, but not sure. It doesn't look quite as sharp, but it looks more cinematic, more like CG if that makes sense.

Looking at some videos, there really seems to only be minimal difference (there might be more apparently differences with better quality footage than youtube though).

The main difference i can tell is framerate, pc footage is much smoother since it's not lmiited to 30 fps

Phreak47

A great game with an atrocious story.
Who wrote this terrible plot and characters? Jesus, this could be the worst videogame story of the last years.

Crysis 2 and 3 will always take the cake for me but yeah, ROTTR is pretty bad. I will say the characters are slightly more bearable than the last TR game. Maybe it was just the acting, I can't remember anything of note about them.

Hah yeah, only played a little in so far, but the VO work on the documents in particular is pretty laughably amateur in an age where we've now come to expect competency in that area.

lt519

Played some of the DLC that came with it. The Blood Ties story was better than the main game's story lol. Lara's Nightmare was a fun diversion and I could see myself getting into the Endurance mode a little bit. The idea of a perma-death and having to hunt to survive made my couple attempts at it pretty fun. The Cold Compound thing was a fun piece of content as well. Score Attack is neat but can't see myself doing all the different scenarios after 100% the main game.

Make sure to check some of these out, they are worth the look. It actually rounds out the game as a package pretty nicely letting you use the fun combat in some more well crafted scenarios.

Arklite

Make sure to check some of these out, they are worth the look. It actually rounds out the game as a package pretty nicely letting you use the fun combat in some more well crafted scenarios.

Definitely. The DLC got a lot of criticism that it mostly deserved as individual products, but as a packed in deal (or on sale) they're pretty damn good. Endurance and Cold Darkness are my two favorites, both emphasizing careful approaches and risks/rewards while laying a sharp focus on Rise's best game play aspects. The Croft manor stuff is brief but fun with its two starkly different uses of the same level. Baba Yaga on the other hand is super weak, would not recommend by itself at all.

JayB1920

For those playing or finished what was your favorite tomb? Personally
Flooded Archives
for the main story and the optional tomb
Baths of Kitezh
were my favorites.

Dante316

I'm playing on the ps4 pro and 1080p TV. I thought the option of 4k wouldn't be there. Should I play as enriched mode or 4k

Ended up with high frame rate, the other option didn't feel stable.

Got this for my birthday on PC; beat the main campaign + Baba Yaga and all tombs. Haven't given the other DLC a shot yet, but I'm interested now after having read through this thread a bit.

I really enjoyed the game, though it didn't feel like a noticeable jump from the first game, more like another take on it. Story was bad, headshots trivialized combat, but the core platforming and exploration were just really fun for me, and that was what I went to this game for.

In DX12 mode, the game started getting glitchy as hell in the end, so I turned it off and found the game ran better without it. Soured the ending experience a bit, which I was loving gameplay-wise.

Lady Gaia

I'm playing on the ps4 pro and 1080p TV. I thought the option of 4k wouldn't be there. Should I play as enriched mode or 4k

Ended up with high frame rate, the other option didn't feel stable.

I haven't found the circumstances under which enriched mode is worthwhile. 4K mode should eliminate shimmering / jaggies due to supersampling as it scales down to 1080p so if they bother you that's a great option.

Dante316

I haven't found the circumstances under which enriched mode is worthwhile. 4K mode should eliminate shimmering / jaggies due to supersampling as it scales down to 1080p so if they bother you that's a great option.

Ah thanks, I'll try 4k later, the jaggies were kinda annoying me on enriched

d9b

Banned

I agree. 4K mode is definitely the way to play this game.

Lister

Banned
So glad I picked this up on the Steam sale. Fantastic game, with solid mix of game mechanics. Very polished. And my god, it looks so good! The voxel based?? AO is out of this world.

The story is straight to DVD garbage though. What happened there? Everything else about the game is just excellent, the the main plotline is Uwe Boll bad. Major misstep, but the gameplay is definitely going to keep me going. Also, the snippets of character development in the mansion DLC are actually really good. Made me care abotu Lara and her family. I'm glad I played that first.

Am I crazy, or does the PS4 version of this game look better (no 60 fps aside) than the maxed-out PC version?

Quick, someone get a straitjacket!

Gren

All told, didn't like this campaign as much as the first. Felt deja vu on more than one ocassion due to some environments & setpieces seeming eeriely similar to ones used before.

Also, going back for all the treasures was a huge slog, due to so many areas having linear routes to treasure and/or fast travel campfires. By the end of 100% completion I was cursing at how much needless backtracking I had to do.

On the positive side, I played Endurance co-op for the first time & had a blast. Just wanted to try it before bed & must've wound up playing 40 min to an hour. I had a good partner that helped me survive 8 days. Unfortunately we were done in by the debilitating cold & got ambushed by two bears & two snow leopards (animal spawns feel like Red Dead at times). Anxious to go back to it. Made the full package purchase worthwhile.

Is there a way to contact Nixxes about the frame-pacing issue on the PS4/Pro version?

The frame-pacing is quite bad in 4K and Enriched visuals mode. High-framerate mode does not suffer from this problem.

Melchiah

Is there a way to contact Nixxes about the frame-pacing issue on the PS4/Pro version?

The frame-pacing is quite bad in 4K and Enriched visuals mode. High-framerate mode does not suffer from this problem.

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully it won't bother me, like it didn't in Bloodborne.

What's the common consensus about the best option on 1080p displays, 4K or enriched mode? I don't care about the higher framerate, so the performance option is out.

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully it won't bother me, like it didn't in Bloodborne.

What's the common consensus about the best option on 1080p displays, 4K or enriched mode? I don't care about the higher framerate, so the performance option is out.

If you don't mind the frame-pacing issue then go with the 4K mode. It looks superb on a 1080p TV.

Are the additional effects a noticeable and meaningful improvement on the PS4 version?

They are noticeable but the poor AA bogs the whole experience down. That's why 4K mode is my favourite, it just looks so damn good even though it has less graphical features than the Enriched mode.

I'm playing on a Pro and on a 720p screen. I'm enjoying 'smooth framerate' mode best, it seems to offer the most rewarding enhancement for me. I like playing quite slowly and atmospherically, using walk a lot, and panning the camera about to investigate my surroundings. Beautiful game, keeping me away from my expensive PSVR ...

Melchiah

They are noticeable but the poor AA bogs the whole experience down. That's why 4K mode is my favourite, it just looks so damn good even though it has less graphical features than the Enriched mode.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the better option.

Evolved1

Actually high fps mode still has clear pacing issues, it's just not quite as evident.

Anyway, if you do get in contact, maybe ask them to disable the auto-center camera too.

Thanks.

Jobbs

Banned
Got to be honest, the framerate is pissing me off in the vanilla PS4 version.

The game feels unplayable to me unless in high framerate mode on Pro, but that may be because I've already experienced it in high framerate mode on Pro and it instantly becomes a requirement once you play it that way

A great game with an atrocious story.
Who wrote this terrible plot and characters? Jesus, this could be the worst videogame story of the last years.

I played this less than 6 moths ago and i literally cant remember a single thing about the story. Really enjoyed the gameplay though.

The frame-pacing is really bad in this game (This is from someone who plays a lot of souls games on console) and at this point I'm not sure if it will be fixed :/

Evolved1

The frame-pacing is really bad in this game (This is from someone who plays a lot of souls games on console) and at this point I'm not sure if it will be fixed :/
I had to quit the game. It sucks.

Staf

I'm playing the Blood ties DLC now. One one side it's bloody brilliant, on the other side it's incredibly formulaic and boring. I love that there's no combat and the setting is great with a great atmosphere . But sitting and listening to exposition from Lara's dad, mom and butler in various documents over and over again is not fun. In the beginning it was interesting but it's just so damn many of them. 1/3 or 1/4 of what is there now would have been well enough.

Melchiah

I'm playing the Blood ties DLC now. One one side it's bloody brilliant, on the other side it's incredibly formulaic and boring. I love that there's no combat and the setting is great with a great atmosphere . But sitting and listening to exposition from Lara's dad, mom and butler in various documents over and over again is not fun. In the beginning it was interesting but it's just so damn many of them. 1/3 or 1/4 of what is there now would have been well enough.

I haven't played that part yet, but I wish all the documents could be listened while playing.

Mediking

I haven't played this game in forever... I need to get back to it during winter break at college. I was really hooked in the beginning but I kinda walked away because Lara's personality didn't really interest me. They devs REALLY need to make her cocky or witty or just something appealing.

nah, there are frame pacing issues, you're just not seeing them. :p

the issues were added on all ps4 platforms in the latest patch.

That's why i'm still on the 1.04 patch. The 4K mode (downsampled to 1080p on my Panasonic VT60) plays and looks great. Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of most impressive looking games so far this generation.

I will not play this game with an internet connection because of the auto update to 1.05.

Thank God for Digital Foundry. Nixxes, please fix the frame pacing issues.

Top Bottom