• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Returners

Does anyone experience crashing still on 1.06? I have a Pro and no matter what settings I chose (4K, Unlocked, Enhanced) it freezes few minutes in.

pHand

Okay, thanks! How do I start the Endurance mode?

It's in Expeditions, as is the Cold Darkness Awakened DLC.

Endurance was neat at first, but then I realized you could cheese it by bringing the lantern everywhere. I was also annoyed that the hunting aspect just goes away a few days in. Made it up to day 16 and probably could've kept going, but by that point things don't change anymore.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
As I said earier, there are jaut as many people (actually there must be many more due to the rating and popularity) who really liked it.
What I'm always wondering about posts like your is how much effort you guys put in trying to slander a game in it's own OT.
It leaves the question if many heavy complainers are not just salty because of the way Tomb Raider developed, rather than staying the way they are used to from the PSOne/PS2 times.
I for my part liked the VA, and found the story enjoyable. Obvioulsy we are not talking of high quality literature writing here. But it tured out as i expected: entertaining Hollywood action adventure writing.
Slander? Who's salty again?

Wow, these audio logs are getting out of hand. I forget the location, but I just picked up
the atlas
and over the last hour or so I've been finding audio logs every 5 minutes. None of them with any substance.

About halfway through it now and am mostly pleased. Terrific looking game, even on my non-Pro PS4.
The story is enough to serve the gameplay, and I appreciate them acknowledging PTSD but not beating you over the head with it.
Little bit too much of a collect-a-thon at times but you'll have that nowadays.
The crypts and tombs are fun and I'm glad there are a lot of them, but I really haven't had any head-scratchers so far so I wouldn't mind seeing them be a bit deeper in a sequel.
Difficulty for combat is laughable, though. I haven't healed once in battle (besides the tutorial). I guess I should have started on Hard.

Filben

It's in Expeditions, as is the Cold Darkness Awakened DLC.
Then, the 20 years celebration DLC screwed me over and does NOT contains all released DLC. The Endurance mode isn't available in Expeditions. Only chapters to repeat (and Croft Manor with enemy waves) and this other thing, with customized missions. No Endurance there :(

USF

Anyone having issues with trophies not popping?
I got 100% story completion with 9/9 tombs completed but the "Tomb Raider" trophy (complete all tomb challenges) won't pop :s

So I may have gotten a bad bug. I'm near the end where I saved my friend and it goes into a cutscene and when it ends I'm back at a campfire instead of staying were the cutscene ends, I can't progress from the campfire area.

ItIsOkBro

Man I'm 25 minutes into this and Lara has mentioned her dad about 50 times. To top it all off I get a trophy for following in her father's footsteps. If Lara's dad is soooooo interesting maybe he should be playable instead.

Boem

Man I'm 25 minutes into this and Lara has mentioned her dad about 50 times. To top it all off I get a trophy for following in her father's footsteps. If Lara's dad is soooooo interesting maybe he should be playable instead.

iirc Rhianna Pratchett was writing this while her father (Terry Pratchett, the guy who wrote the incredible Discworld novels) was dying of Alzheimer's. I can't blame her for that leaking into the writing, especially knowing the stories on how the two bonded over playing the first Tomb Raider together.

eXistor

I couldn't stand Lara's incessant whining and generally ridiculously breathy voice throughout the game so I just turned dialogue audio off. Makes for an interesting playthrough. Oh while you're at it, you might as well skip all the cutscenes as well.

I thought the game was fucking terrible, just a chore to play. Well I say play, but the game practically plays itself.

/edit: I'll say I kinda liked the Blood Ties DLC, that at least felt like an adventure game.

Angel_DvA

finished it two days ago, it was... really bad, a mediocre game with terrible characters, plot, dialogue, story is D-tier, really awful BUT, the gameplay, craft system and visuals are pretty great, the pacing of the game is good too, 6/10.

Digital Foundry said that motion blur is enabled full time but there are a lot of points in the game were it just shuts off for an unknown amount of time (I guess it turns off under high load to ensure the game frame rate doesn't tank).

However, it will stay off until you die or exit to the menu and load the game again.

RevanUchiha

Neo Member
Does anyone experience crashing still on 1.06? I have a Pro and no matter what settings I chose (4K, Unlocked, Enhanced) it freezes few minutes in.

The exact same thing happens to me. Digital version and also ps4 pro. Sometimes it crashes minutes in, other times it gets to an hour or so. Ohh and the error code I always get is ce-34878-0.

insanexer

finished it two days ago, it was... really bad, a mediocre game with terrible characters, plot, dialogue, story is D-tier, really awful BUT, the gameplay, craft system and visuals are pretty great, the pacing of the game is good too, 6/10.

I am playing this a second time through on the ps4 pro. I enjoyed it the first time on the xbox one. But, I am really struggling continuing to play it this go. I think the visuals on the pro are fantastic, but some things you have touched on here are really standing out. I am finding this to be a chore to play. I find some of the controls kinda clunky too when she is climbing from ledge to ledge. Also, on the stealth kills where she puts her bow around the enemies neck I had a weird glitch. The enemy completely disappeared and she was choking the air essentially.

I agree with some others that the 2013 version was the superior one.

bosseye

Finished it. Amazingly. It got seriously tedious about mid way in, I don't know why I bothered to continue. The last couple of levels were just terrible. Survive the ambush! Yes another one! Oh no another crumbling ledge, whoooooaaaaaa! A
helicopter boss battle
, so fresh and exciting and wow! Fuck off.

I finished this game earlier in week and I was getting failry tired with it by the end. I'd usually clean up with collectables and trophies soon after by I'm gonna take a break before trudging through all that. I'm also gonna leave the DLC for another time.

Melchiah

I finished this game earlier in week and I was getting failry tired with it by the end. I'd usually clean up with collectables and trophies soon after by I'm gonna take a break before trudging through all that. I'm also gonna leave the DLC for another time.

Croft Manor: Blood Ties and Baba Yaga DLC were some of the highlights of the game, so I recommend to play them at some point.

As for trophies, the fact that most of them are bronze just killed my interest in hunting them. It's beyond me why completing all challenge tombs gives you only bronze, while completing Blood Ties gives you silver. Not to mention, that there's no trophy for collecting all the relics in the main game.

Just posting here to counteract the negativity of the last page. It really shocks me to see the vitriol some are posting with. As I mentioned in the other thread, I finished it the other day. Amazing game! My favorite game of 2016. Better than Uncharted 4 IMO too.

Croft Manor: Blood Ties and Baba Yaga DLC were some of the highlights of the game, so I recommend to play them at some point.

Oh I will, but I'll pick my moment. I'll probably do collectables and trophies, followed by Baba Yaga and Blood Ties. It's just too much to sit through right now.

8bit

Knows the Score
I liked it enough to rebuy on PS4 after finishing it last year (although partly for Pro support). It looks great, the only real issue is I have is that Lara needs to shut up when saving at camp fires.

Ganrob

Neo Member
Do note that the Classic Lara skins are only available in Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration for the PS4, and they cannot be obtained on the Xbox One and PC versions of the game.

42383_movies-sad-crying-gossip-girl-blake-lively.gif

Sorry for the drive-ins post guys, but what's Gaf's general consensus of the game? Tempted to pick up while on sale but I've heard varying things from people and I don't wannabe trawl through here picking up spoilers.

If it matters, I didn't play much of the 2013 game, just an hour or two from PS+ but I enjoyed it. How does it stand up to U4? Don't have Pro if that changes the situation.

Sorry for the drive-ins post guys, but what's Gaf's general consensus of the game? Tempted to pick up while on sale but I've heard varying things from people and I don't wannabe trawl through here picking up spoilers.

If it matters, I didn't play much of the 2013 game, just an hour or two from PS+ but I enjoyed it. How does it stand up to U4? Don't have Pro if that changes the situation.

I really liked the previous one, but this one is a chore. Just really boring, lame setting, lack of interesting characters. I felt like I was progressing through the game just because I bought it.

How does it stand up to U4? It doesn't.

eLGee

It's a beautiful game, almost as nice as Uncharted 4, but story wise, it takes itself waaaay to seriously, much like the first game. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Elixist

I really liked the previous one, but this one is a chore. Just really boring, lame setting, lack of interesting characters. I felt like I was progressing through the game just because I bought it.

How does it stand up to U4? It doesn't.

iawtp. i couldnt finish it and i liked the reboot quite a bit.

ffvorax

I really liked the previous game, and I started this one this week... I'm three-four hours in, but I'm not enjoying this too much...

I don't know... it's boring... few encounters and the one you have are not particular exciting, the fields where you fight are not so fun to play. The exploration looks interesting but I can't find the reason to lose an hour finding places I can't reach 'cause I don't still have the abilities to get in them, so I decided just to go on with the story until the near end before going again to explore, but that sucks. Why should I have not the ability to "complete" at least most of the area? Also because it make no sense the fast travel to locations, and I can't have a break because of this, I mean the fact that maybe I find the entrance to a tomb or a secret, but I can't reach it because I have not the ability to get into it!

Maybe that is an issue only for the beginning of the game, I don't know...

I had high expectations after the first game, really.

EDIT:
I like the idea to gather resources to upgrade everything, I liked the very first little area where you can hunt! I would love if there is more of that, it remembered me of the Last of Us part with Ellie hunting.

Ganrob

Neo Member
The exploration looks interesting but I can't find the reason to lose an hour finding places I can't reach 'cause I don't still have the abilities to get in them, so I decided just to go on with the story until the near end before going again to explore, but that sucks.

Don't worry, there are only small areas you can't get to in the beginning that don't have much anyway. The larger areas you might be able to get into will tie into the story.

Also note that inside caves you might find paths that seem blocked by thorny looking bushes. Ignore these, you'll never be able to get into them.

acklame

I'm trying to play through this game on PS4, and every time I play it I get nauseous/motion sickness and have to turn it off. Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't gotten motion sickness from a game for years.

Also, is it just me or does the game get worse and more annoying the farther I advance in the story? I started out thinking it was fantastic, and now I'm at
flooded archives
and I'm not enjoying this as much anymore and just want to get this over with.

v1oz

I'm near the end of the game. This game is definitely worse than Tomb Raider 2013. Its almost as if a different team made this game. The combat and shooting mechanics I think are worse than before too. Lara felt like a trained professional sniper and killer in the 2013 game. Here she's not quite as sharp a shooter. The enemy AI hasn't evolved either with the new console generation just as predictable as ever.

Any idea how the sales for the PS4 release were?

I doubt they were good. This was a bad holiday season to release in, it was so packed. And the PS4 release didn't generate much attention, given that the X1 release was a year prior, and the PC release early in 2016.

Seems like the staggered release was a bad idea unless Microsoft offered a heavy payday for the timed exclusivity.

I'm near the end of the game. This game is definitely worse than Tomb Raider 2013. Its almost as if a different team made this game. The combat and shooting mechanics I think are worse than before too. Lara felt like a trained professional sniper and killer in the 2013 game. Here she's not quite as sharp a shooter. The enemy AI hasn't evolved either with the new console generation just as predictable as ever.

What? I think it was definitely better than TR 2013. Thinking it feels like it is from a different team is ridiculous. It feels like an iteration of a very similar formula.

ffvorax

I'm at halfway into the game but still not enjoying it much... :(

I still try to explore new areas just to find places I can't reach because it says: "you need this and you don't have it"... I just don't get why give so big areas if the exploration make no sense until you get later the items to explore them totally... so for now on i'm done with exploration, I will just play the story to the end. It's frustrating.
Also the fights are really, really boring... AI is terrible, and for some reason I don't understand how the hell I should fight people with shields... I remember they told me to roll just before they hit, but I don't manage to do it... so I just hit them with poison arrows to kill...
Another thing: is it possible to have always available a bomb? Because there are many location that require one to be destroied during exploration...

That said, I played the Baba Yaga dlc included and liked it... nothing incredible, but fun enough deviation from the main story.

I don't know... as I said I liked pretty much the 2013 TR reboot, but this one, until now, it's much worse... I hope the next one will be better, maybe the temporal exclusive was a problem during development? Maybe they had to release it too early?

I'm sure I'm the only person who thinks this but I actually prefer ROTTT to Uncharted 4 in alot of ways.....

I know they are very similar but I just feel like the climbing looks more organic than Uncharted, the shooting feels like it has a bit more weight to it, the sound of the guns feels more realistic, hell even the graphics look a bit nicer to me.

I loved UC4 so it goes without saying that I am having a blast with this game.

Ganrob

Neo Member

q3iCWqE.gif

v1oz

What? I think it was definitely better than TR 2013. Thinking it feels like it is from a different team is ridiculous. It feels like an iteration of a very similar formula.
It feels different because the execution of the ideas from the first game is not as successful in this game IMHO. And the storyline is much more forgettable and implausible. If you look at the credits the staff is quite different this time around with only a few returning names.

As for the controls it might be just that I'm playing on different analogue sticks. But the aiming in Rise feels imprecise compared to TR 2013. I played TR 2013 with the 360 controller then switched to dual shock for Rise. If it's not the controller than it's the input lag with all the extra post processing in modern games.

Was really disappointed in this game after all the things I heard from xbox friends and the reviews. The story was poor. Combat scenarios were simple and not very dynamic with just a few enemies at most. The tombs were literally 5-10 minutes and very simple, just a couple rooms and your there. The side/collect stuff got tedious very quick.

It feels different because the execution of the ideas from the first game is not as successful in this game IMHO. And the storyline is much more forgettable and implausible. If you look at the credits the staff is quite different this time around with only a few returning names.

As for the controls it might be just that I'm playing on different analogue sticks. But the aiming in Rise feels imprecise compared to TR 2013. I played TR 2013 with the 360 controller then switched to dual shock for Rise. If it's not the controller than it's the input lag with all the extra post processing in modern games.

There's no undue input lag in the ps4 version. We'd need more information to conclude anything..were you playing TR 2013 on xbox 360 or PC? At what framerate? Were you playing Rise on the PS4, PS4 pro (and in what mode?), or PC with a dualshock?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I can agree with this. Last month I walked away from the game, fizzling out in the Geothermal Valley somewhere.

Was feeling the combat and AI to be a bit off and I loaded up TR2013 on PS4 to compare and the difference was very noticeable. Guns sounded and felt far more punchy and didn't spray like a water nozzle, while the AI were more judicious about keeping themselves a bit safer(though not by much). Too often on Survival difficulty the AI also loves to just run at me to fire at point blank range for whatever reason, while they barely do that in the last game.

I'll get back to it eventually, but I am just not as hooked into this one as much as TR2013 and need to recharge my motivation. Nice that the optional tombs are more developed, but most of the game has been Lara running about snagging collectibles in Russian Installations or doing menial fetching with these natives...I just don't care for any of it. I miss tombs, traps, and puzzles.

I can agree with this. Last month I walked away from the game, fizzling out in the Geothermal Valley somewhere.

Was feeling the combat and AI to be a bit off and I loaded up TR2013 on PS4 to compare and the difference was very noticeable. Guns sounded and felt far more punchy and didn't spray like a water nozzle , while the AI were more judicious about keeping themselves a bit safer(though not by much). Too often on Survival difficulty the AI also loves to just run at me to fire at point blank range for whatever reason, while they barely do that in the last game.

I'll get back to it eventually, but I am just not as hooked into this one as much as TR2013 and need to recharge my motivation. Nice that the optional tombs are more developed, but most of the game has been Lara running about snagging collectibles in Russian Installations or doing menial fetching with these natives...I just don't care for any of it. I miss tombs, traps, and puzzles.

I don't agree with this at all. I think if anything they did a better job on the gun sounds, the default rifle in particular, as well as the multitude of Rise's goty edition extra free guns (especially the heavier pistols which sound and kick in a satisfyingly beaslty manner)

v1oz

There's no undue input lag in the ps4 version. We'd need more information to conclude anything..were you playing TR 2013 on xbox 360 or PC? At what framerate? Were you playing Rise on the PS4, PS4 pro (and in what mode?), or PC with a dualshock?
It's difficult to measure input lag without equipment. But
Digital Foundry reported there was an input lag issue with Rise on consoles including PS4 - which has been getting better with recent updates. The Tomb Raider 2013 had relatively low input lag. But every game on the market has varying degrees of in bput lag.

And like I said it might be that just I'm less familiar with the dual shock than the 360 pad which I was using for years. I played both the PC and 360 versions of TR2016 using the Xbox pad. I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on a standard PS4.

Top Bottom