• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Bought the season pass on PC. Just completed the campaign (too frustrated to get passed 94% completion though) and part of the 'Blood Ties' expansion.

Blood Ties is extremely boring so far, unless walking around a dull mansion collecting clues appeals to you. Dull environment and boring gameplay.

I'm hoping the 'Lara's Nightmare' is better?

Filben

What happened to the craftable (DLC?) outfits in the base version of RotTR? I remember there were plenty to craft. Now, after several months I want to continue with the game and I only have 9/9 outfits. The other ones are all gone. What happened?

Filben

I finally finished with Tomb Raider and as far as I'm concerned they can bring up another one! The story was very flat and anything but complex (to be fair, they story was never the thing that sold TR), but I liked the gameplay mix between gunfights, intense close melee combat and physics based puzzles and the environment. On top of this the visuals really delivered on an outstanding level.

IvqCCSC.gif

NbGUngZ.gif

AS4bBKR.gif

vZtnq8G.gif

0I2bBJF.gif

I wish they show more diversity in locations next time. 80% of the time in snow covered areas. They really should bring back the traveling on a global scale (remember Tomb Raider 2? From China to Italy, to a oil rig and Tibet and underground caves and Alaska in the 'Golden Mask'. I don't need to mention Tomb Raider 3. And I also hope they bring back a real diving mechanic and not that leveld down one. Puzzles and collectable under water were there since TR1.

sun-drop

need to read this thread i guess but for 1080 users .. whats the best mode .. 4k or enhanced?

i toggled between the two and i can see a clear difference in texture quality in favor of the 4k mode ... it's like night and day even on my 1080 tv ..so thinking i'll go with that over some better effect work present in enhanced mode ..

Harlequin

need to read this thread i guess but for 1080 users .. whats the best mode .. 4k or enhanced?

i toggled between the two and i can see a clear difference in texture quality in favor of the 4k mode ... it's like night and day even on my 1080 tv ..so thinking i'll go with that over some better effect work present in enhanced mode ..

With how terrible the aliasing in this game is at 1080p, I'd definitely go with 4K, even if you're not playing on a 4K TV.

kc44135

PS4 PRO, right? 4K Mode is hands down your best bet. The improvements in Enhanced Mode are nice and all, but they can't compare to the glory of down sampling. It makes the game look incredibly sharp and clean on a 1080p TV (as you've already noticed).

I can't understand how some people say they can't see a difference, or why so many Devs seemingly don't want to bother with implementing it. It's a massive improvement in image quality. So yeah, 4K mode is definitely the way to go here.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Always go 4K in this game unless you're in a pickle of a firefight situation, or have to shoot a moving object. In that case switch to high frame rate mode so that you can actually play :\
Seriously, the input lag in this game is awful unless you play in high frame rate mode. Most of the time it's no big deal, but once you realize just how *much* better you can aim in high frame rate mode, it's hard not switching back to it when you get into a firefight.

sun-drop

PS4 PRO, right? 4K Mode is hands down your best bet. The improvements in Enhanced Mode are nice and all, but they can't compare to the glory of down sampling. It makes the game look incredibly sharp and clean on a 1080p TV (as you've already noticed).

I can't understand how some people say they can't see a difference, or why so many Devs seemingly don't want to bother with implementing it. It's a massive improvement in image quality. So yeah, 4K mode is definitely the way to go here.

thanks for the replies .. yes PS4 pro. ive been playing fifa this year but having just finished black flag :/ this is the first time i've seen a 4k enabled game before on my pro.

and yeh ..i guess effect work is a nice to have, but the biggest diff maker aside from raw geometry upgrades is downsampling/texture work.

didn't think i'd notice so much on a 1080p tv but yeh ..compared to the "4k" mode the enhanced mode looks like someone smeared hair gel all over my tv

SkylineRKR

Base PS4 version looks washed out and has jaggies. Low framerate too, compared to TR: DE. Not to mention the terrible aiming, especially before the update.

On Pro however, in hi framerate mode the game feels largely like Definitive Edition and the controls are fine.

I also prefer Horizon on the Pro, its more stable and the IQ is quite a bit better. Especially during daylight.

Gitaroo

Just got this and am playing on base PS4. Was anybody else underwhelmed with the visuals?

if you are playing on the standard PS4, the jaggies from the shaders aliasing can be quite distracting, totally killed the visual. Looking pass that though its quite an amazing looking game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am playing the Windows 10 version and I was wondering why I cant use DSR.

I have a 1080p monitor but wanted to render the game at 1440p

Every other game it works, but not this one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Exclusive fullscreen, too?

With Windows 10 version you mean the Windows Store version?

UWAs don't support exclusive fullscreen. That or they didn't and RotTR was never updated accordingly (I don't follow WinStore developments all that closely).

Edit: If you bought it just recently as part of the WinStore sale, get a refund and buy the Steam version. It's 60% off there, too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
UWAs don't support exclusive fullscreen. That or they didn't and RotTR was never updated accordingly (I don't follow WinStore developments all that closely).

Edit: If you bought it just recently as part of the WinStore sale, get a refund and buy the Steam version. It's 60% off there, too.

Well one way it works is to set the desktop to 1440p DSR.

Gitaroo

Did they fix SMAA in PC version? Should stick to FXAA or inject SMAA through Reshade?

Last time I checked, still a no. Looks like they are done with any kind of engine optimization on pc, hdr patch was on nvidia tech site for a year but we still haven't seen it.

Looks like someone just edited her pants texture, replacing it with skin. That, or photoshop.

Where can i find this mod?

It's just a mock-up image of modding potential, no mod unfortunately. :(

Somebody was just messing around with hex editing to see if they could edit in-game textures so they tried to see if they could make Lara wear shorts, but instead made this proof of concept to show what they was trying to achieve. I don't think it's possible to mod RotTR because of Denuvo.

//ARCANUM

Hey all, I posted this in the thread about my tv, but curious if Tomb raider veterans might have encountered this so I'm cross posting this here.

So I started playing Rise of the Tomb raider on my newly purchased PS4 PRO and TCL P607 and I'm getting a weird issue. I don't know what you call it, but when I'm playing in 4K mode on TR, I'm getting a weird kinda... ghosting (I don't know what to call it) of text and some objects and stuff that's kinda purple and green? Like if I'm in the relics screen and am moving an object around (surrounded by black) I see all sorts of this purple and green "ghosting". Maybe I should say refresh rate? I'm not sure what to call it.

I don't get this at all if I use the enhanced visuals or high frame rate modes.

And I've played other stuff on the Pro and not had issues (like Hellblade). And I've watched 4K UHD Blu Rays on my Xbox One S and no issues. It seems to be isolated to this game.

So.... any ideas? Thanks!

Orta

Banned
Apologies for the bump, I've only just completed this (been on my Steam backlog for over 4 years!) and really enjoyed it. Boy does it look good too.

Anywho, does the 20th Anniversary pack contain every scrap of DLC made available for rottr? I've read some contradictory reports that it does and doesn't.

Top Bottom