• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Forsythia

All that salt, lol. You're not even trying to hide your true colours anymore.

Can't wait to play it this Friday. Already pre-loaded and ready! :)

MacBosse

I'm day one on this. By the looks of the reviews it will be just what I want in a sequel.

So many great games these two weeks. Fallout 4, Halo 5 and Assassins Creed Syndicate all demand my attention already ...

I'm glad there is no multiplayer, it tainted slightly what was a great game in 2013. I'm not one for season passes but if I enjoy the game that much I may reconsider

Probably pick up my copy tomorrow from Best Buy. Looking forward to it, but the marketing on this title kinda sucks balls or its probably just me....nah it sucks.

I loved the remaster on Xbox One and having just watched the review this seems to be a potential GOTY for me. Loving everything I have seen so far to do with the game and the prominence of the word puzzle in the reviews is awesome!

ODDI

No impressions GAF? Can't even find a screenshot in the capture thread, get off FO4 for a bit will ya lol.

Catdaddy

Probably pick up my copy tomorrow from Best Buy. Looking forward to it, but the marketing on this title kinda sucks balls or its probably just me....nah it sucks.

They lumped it in with Xbox commercials, finally saw a stand alone commercial during Walking Dead or maybe Talking Dead....

That said, pre-loaded and ready to go. When does it unlock???

Yeah, seen zero ads for it. It is a shame since this holiday season is weak and sales are best chance now.
Edit: I laughed at the OP title. Tombs felt like a background in the 2013 reboot.

I actually saw quite a few ads for it over the weekend, primetime during the football etc.

Performance in this opening scene is pretty rough, lol (thankfully it doesn't bother me although I notice it). The DF thread is going to be fun...

Performance in this opening scene is pretty rough, lol (thankfully it doesn't bother me although I notice it). The DF thread is going to be fun...
Nah it should be ok. There's a thread on the front page now where everyone's saying performance issues are fine if the game's good...

Screen tearing in the top 25% of the screen. Didn't notice it outdoors but quite obvious in this cave. Gameplay is great so far, more of TR2013 so if you liked that you'll love this. Don't think it'll convert people who didn't like the gameplay :p

Real time cutscenes are really nice, particularly Lara's model - it's insanely detailed. The eyes are really convincing in particular.

Jumeira

Banned
Screen tearing in the top 25% of the screen. Didn't notice it outdoors but quite obvious in this cave. Gameplay is great so far, more of TR2013 so if you liked that you'll love this. Don't think it'll convert people who didn't like the gameplay :p

Real time cutscenes are really nice, particularly Lara's model - it's insanely detailed. The eyes are really convincing in particular.

Can you choose the difficulty? I never play games on normal, hope we have the option to.

Can you choose the difficulty? I never play games on normal, hope we have the option to.
Yes! There are four difficulty options. Casual, which has aim assist, and then three more which are listed as not having aim assist although I don't know if that means it's completely off. Default difficulty is "Tomb Raider", which is what I'm playing for first run through. Next difficulty up enemies have better senses + health doesn't regen during combat, then above that is the same but with less salvage and supplies too.
Please do something about it and share few with us. :)
Trying now :)

JayB1920

You can freely switch between easy, normal and hard at any time. If you pick Survivor you can not change the difficulty. Hard disables regenerating health in combat and improves ene,y awareness. Survivor disables regenerating health all together, adds more challenging enemy types, reduces the number of resources, and makes crafting and upgrading more expensive.

hawk2025

For people already playing:

I felt the hardest difficulty on TR 2013 was largely too easy, and I see that thankfully there is a new difficulty above that this time. My question is, is the "Hard" equivalent to the previous games' Hard, or should I really go all the way to the very hardest difficulty on this one?

You can freely switch between easy, normal and hard at any time. If you pick Survivor you can not change the difficulty. Hard disables regenerating health in combat and improves ene,y awareness. Survivor disables regenerating health all together, adds more challenging enemy types, reduces the number of resources, and makes crafting and upgrading more expensive.

Thanks!

hhmmm, maybe I'll save the Survivor playthrough for the second one just in case.

Best quality my capture card would allow:
rottrscreenshot091120fkubf.png

rottrscreenshot0911207pu69.png

rottrscreenshot091120o4u7d.png

rottrscreenshot091120vhu6a.png

rottrscreenshot0911209nupc.png

NeoRaider

I really don't notice lack of AA, they did something about it?
On footage they were releasing before aliasing was so visible and distracting but not on these screenshots.

On footage they were releasing before aliasing was so visible and distracting but not on these screenshots.
It's not mega noticeable but you can see it. Not super obvious in the screenshots as there's a lil bit of compression from my capture card. Just finishing up a batch of screenshots now and I think that'll be me :)

Hixx

I just got to the first big area and the aliasing is more noticable on trees and other foliage. That may be down to it being a brighter area and being able to see further away, however. But it still looks fantastic, very impressed with the visuals so far!

The tutorial feels like it goes on forever, though. I have been hunting for collectibles and have all I can get up until now but it's felt a bit slow to get going. Hopefully it kicks on from here.

JayB1920

For those wondering about the tombs there are apparently there are 9 optional challenge tombs. 10 if you count a forced one in the main story. They are bigger, more varied, take longer to complete, and in more tomb like environments. They are also better hidden and have some traps and some trickier platforming than anyhting in the reboot before reaching the tomb. The Reboot was mostly slow walks through a cave into small mostly samey looking dens with a simple 1-2 step puzzle. Having caves and crypts to explore in addition to these is nice as well. They don't have puzzles but they hold some nice rewards and material as well.

There are also 4 main story "tombs" this time with some nested puzzles but they of course are also filled with combat and explosions. Still it has better puzzle design than the Reboots main campaign and some actual tomb like environments. The last hub is in particular is amazing looking. I was just hoping for more parts like Syria tomb in the main story with little to no combat.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, gratzi on those screens, Champion of Kirkwall. It does indeed look quite breathtaking. Can't wait to play this (in a year, sigh).

Top Bottom