• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rising Storm 2 Announced (Tripwire Interactive, PC, Set during Vietnam War)

Honestly, due to falling out with a very large community that supported the old games for being reprehensible people, finding out that most of Tripwire allegedly voted for Trump, and are massive fans of his.

How do I know this, I was a member of Bloodbath, who Tripwire had formed a pretty tight bond with because when they first started they didn't support or allow the typical meme-ry or racist trash to play on the server, with a focus on actually playing the game, and representing the gaming community behind RO, RO2, and RS1.

Anyone that tells me that this game isn't basically a literal video game version of /pol/ and a partial mouthpiece for the alt-right, hasn't played enough of the game.

I hate that it came to this because I've loved RO as a series since before Ostfront, before RO2, before Rising Storm and Rising Storm 2.

As a matter of complete moral correctness, I can't possibly support the developers of these games for the future.

It breaks my fucking heart but you know what, someone has to stand up for what is right.

The game looks great guys but I can't support you or the community that drives it.

Bastos

Honestly, due to falling out with a very large community that supported the old games for being reprehensible people, finding out that most of Tripwire allegedly voted for Trump, and are massive fans of his.

How do I know this, I was a member of Bloodbath, who Tripwire had formed a pretty tight bond with because when they first started they didn't support or allow the typical meme-ry or racist trash to play on the server, with a focus on actually playing the game, and representing the gaming community behind RO, RO2, and RS1.

Anyone that tells me that this game isn't basically a literal video game version of /pol/ and a partial mouthpiece for the alt-right, hasn't played enough of the game.

I hate that it came to this because I've loved RO as a series since before Ostfront, before RO2, before Rising Storm and Rising Storm 2.

As a matter of complete moral correctness, I can't possibly support the developers of these games for the future.

It breaks my fucking heart but you know what, someone has to stand up for what is right.

The game looks great guys but I can't support you or the community that drives it.
Can't you just shoot people and win games, man?

Can't you just shoot people and win games, man?

You know there is enjoying entertainment, but then there is not supporting people who are reprehensible.

Exactly what does this mean?

You know what it means, don't be obtuse. The game is literally a place for people to shoot each other while spamming racist meme bullshit, and don't tell me the servers that don't support that, never support that because in my large experience no one bothers to police the game anymore, and if you do you lose players. Something the people backing the servers for Bloodbath were concerned about.

Qvoth

i played rising storm in a japanese server that's almost always full 64 man, didn't experience any of those

E-flux

You know what it means, don't be obtuse. The game is literally a place for people to shoot each other while spamming racist meme bullshit, and don't tell me the servers that don't support that, never support that because in my large experience no one bothers to police the game anymore, and if you do you lose players. Something the people backing the servers for Bloodbath were concerned about.

You can say that about everything, hell even in RO2 instead of G.I's going home it was all about the comrades. It's not the creators fault if the community is shit and not to your liking.
And who cares who the people who worked on the game voted for as long as it doesn't influence the game?

You can say that about everything, hell even in RO2 instead of G.I's going home it was all about the comrades. It's not the creators fault if the community is shit and not to your liking.
And who cares who the people who worked on the game voted for as long as it doesn't influence the game?

This just reeks of whataboutism, and I can't fucking stand that shit. I mean really, it is as bad as the both sides people in any given argument.

I came to express my sentiments, even though I played in the Betas, the game is fantastic, but the people behind it are potentially people that I would shoutdown, and criticize in real life for supporting fascism and racism. My personal conscience can't really support this kind of stuff irregardless of the medium of the product sold. I fully believe people should be held accountable for when they hold ostentatiously garbage views, support a playerbase that also houses such views.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't see shit in this game. Doesn't help that I'm colorblind. It's almost unplayable for me.

There are definitely a lot of racists that play this. Players naming their squads things like orange chicken and ching chong, saying gook everything other word, and mimicking accents. I just block the shit out and continue to play the game. I enjoy the game and I'm not going to let them ruin my enjoyment.

There are definitely a lot of racists that play this. Players naming their squads things like orange chicken and ching chong, saying gook everything other word, and mimicking accents. I just block the shit out and continue to play the game. I enjoy the game and I’m not going to let them ruin my enjoyment.
Meh that's turning me away from the game.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Welcome to every multiplayer shooter that supports voice and/or text chat ever? It's unfortunate that you've run into shitty people online, but I don't see how this is an issue remotely specific to RS2.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I unfollowed John Gibson on twitter after he not-so-subtly gave away that he was a Trump supporter on top of some other nuttery, but I haven't really seen a lot from the company's culture as an outsider that would lead me to believe that they were, as a whole, that bad? Community Toxicity is to be expected to a degree, but are Tripwire actively cultivating that racism? Not that I fully know the situation, since I don't play Rising Storm 2, but I feel like these claims could probably use some less nebulous evidence.

E-flux

This just reeks of whataboutism, and I can't fucking stand that shit. I mean really, it is as bad as the both sides people in any given argument.

I came to express my sentiments, even though I played in the Betas, the game is fantastic, but the people behind it are potentially people that I would shoutdown, and criticize in real life for supporting fascism and racism. My personal conscience can't really support this kind of stuff irregardless of the medium of the product sold. I fully believe people should be held accountable for when they hold ostentatiously garbage views, support a playerbase that also houses such views.

Fine, if you don't want to support the devs because of political views don't, but saying that the game is like a version of /pol/ is bullshit, if the game would be pushing some agenda i could see that but what in the actual game has anything to do with current US politics? You can't blame the game for the community it has, especially in historical shooters.

You know one of the things that I care the least about while playing this game.

The dev's political views or whatever tinfoil hat conspiracy some nut on the Internet has cooked up.

They are so irrelevant to the game (or this thread) that it shouldn't even be on the radar.

To keep this semi on topic, the shotgun is OP as fuck.

I fail to see how this holds any water. It's a tactical shooter based on the Vietnam war -- nothing more, nothing less. It promotes "racist meme bullshit" no moreso than any other tactical shooter out there. I think you're majorly overreacting to say the least.

Welcome to every multiplayer shooter that supports voice and/or text chat ever? It's unfortunate that you've run into shitty people online, but I don't see how this is an issue remotely specific to RS2.

It really is worse in the Red Orchestra community. The only reason I even got RS2 was because I have a group to play it with and will mute server chat/voice. Anyone who has played RO1, RO2, and Rising Storm 1 will know how bad it had gotten. Probably some of the worst communities I've ever seen wrt racism and toxicity.

I fail to see how this holds any water. It's a tactical shooter based on the Vietnam war -- nothing more, nothing less. It promotes "racist meme bullshit" no moreso than any other tactical shooter out there. I think you're majorly overreacting to say the least.

He's definitely not. Even in my circle of gamer friends it's understood that the RO community is a trash fire. It can really bring down the game experience because of how teamwork oriented they are. You want to listen to strategy and commander stuff but end up having your ears blasted with racist memes from literal neo nazis half the time.

StayDead

To the people complaining about racists and what not, the best thing to do is find a good community server. Any server worth a damn bans idiots like that.

I've played over 700 hours of RO2 and the only racists I've ever seen were banned on sight on the Campaign community servers I played on.

Machina

Banned
You know there is enjoying entertainment, but then there is not supporting people who are reprehensible.

Ummm this never happens

Arcteryx

Agreed.

I refunded it last night after I realized it's pointless spending half a match muting people. I literally had multiple games (across multiple servers) with people shouting n*gger into the mic on repeat. I don't know what it is about the RS games...but damn do they bring out the racists.

This game pretty much feels like a pixel hunt in the jungle in which any attempt to actually make an advance is met by a bullet from someone laying 50+ yards away that you never once saw. Either you lay in one spot and effortlessly pop people as their pixels appear on your screen, or you get up and move and pray that someone doesn't do the same to you (and if you're remotely close to an objective, they probably will). I think this is compounded by the fact that nearly everyone is toting around laser-accurate, semi-automatic rifles with large magazines. In Red Orchestra you at least had your share of bolt-action rifles which while deadly and accurate also punished you for missing.

Additionally, I'm disappointed by the complete lack of teamwork and cohesion. None of the squads I've been in have actually felt like squads. Leadership is pretty much nonexistent, and most players just seem to lone-wolf it to each objective. I understand the game is still brand new, but it's a valid concern IMO. The scrambled, unorganized nature of teams not only kills the feeling of being part of a unit, but it also makes friendly fire a much bigger problem than it needs to be.

I respect what the game attempts to do, but I'm just not sure it actually translates into a fun experience. Maybe if players actually worked together it'd evolve into something far more enjoyable, but thus far it's been nothing more than a miserable campfest (but hey, realism... right?).

And don't even get me started on the goddamn artillery/air strikes every 15 seconds.

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
This game pretty much feels like a pixel hunt in the jungle in which any attempt to actually make an advance is met by a bullet from someone laying 50+ yards away that you never once saw. Either you lay in one spot and effortlessly pop people as their pixels appear on your screen, or you get up and move and pray that someone doesn't do the same to you (and if you're remotely close to an objective, they probably will). I think this is compounded by the fact that nearly everyone is toting around laser-accurate, semi-automatic rifles with large magazines. In Red Orchestra you at least had your share of bolt-action rifles which while deadly and accurate also punished you for missing.

Additionally, I'm disappointed by the complete lack of teamwork and cohesion. None of the squads I've been in have actually felt like squads. Leadership is pretty much nonexistent, and most players just seem to lone-wolf it to each objective. I understand the game is still brand new, but it's a valid concern IMO. The scrambled, unorganized nature of teams not only kills the feeling of being part of a unit, but it also makes friendly fire a much bigger problem than it needs to be.

I respect what the game attempts to do, but I'm just not sure it actually translates into a fun experience. Maybe if players actually worked together it'd evolve into something far more enjoyable, but thus far it's been nothing more than a miserable campfest (but hey, realism... right?).

And don't even get me started on the goddamn artillery/air strikes every 15 seconds.
feedback of all types is ALWAYS welcome. Thank you :). We definitely have been on great servers with great teamwork. You'll find them :)

mhanna49

Neo Member
Tripwire releases an announcement today regarding 1.01 and the Trello board is now viewable.

Announcement on Steam
Trello

I'm really enjoying the game so far. What bugs me is the general lack of teamwork on most servers due to people learning the game, people imitating the Vietnamese accent, saying gook repeatedly, and spouting Apocalypse Now references CONSTANTLY. I wish the Supremacy tutorial video was mandatory before playing Supremacy the first time.

On An Lao Valley (I think that's the right name), people have a frustrating tendency to just head right to C to play team deathmatch there. The second objective (B or E depending on your team) gets captured and most of your team will ignore it. I've seen matches where, even if you have a good commander with a mic telling people to recapture the objective, people ignore it and just keep spawning and going to C.

I'm looking forward to new weapons, weapon variants, and new maps though.

Top Bottom