• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'River City Girls' (Switch, PS4, X1, and PC) arriving on Sept. 5th; $29.99; includes guests from River City Ransom series

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Source at Gematsu:

Offering a new generation of old-school action, independent video game studio WayForward is ecstatic to lift the curtain on its upcoming co-op beat-’em-up, River City Girls. Developed by WayForward and overseen by the fighting-game experts at Arc System Works, this latest entry in the long-running River City (also known as Kunio-Kun) franchise is scheduled to hit Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC this September.
River City Girls stars Kyoko and Misako, two street-tough high-schoolers who must fight their way through the six regions of River City to rescue their kidnapped boyfriends, series mainstays Kunio and Riki. Along the way, they’ll utilize an arsenal of combos, counters, throws, and special attacks; battle an assortment of enemies; accept numerous side quests; level up with experience points; interact with NPCs (including guest stars from past River City games); and shop for a variety of items, food, and gear to boost stats and unlock new abilities. The girls can even wield weapons and recruit defeated foes to join them in combat!
The one- or local two-player bare-knuckle brawling is complemented by spectacular 16-bit-style graphics and an epic synth-pop soundtrack (featuring NateWantsToBattle, Chipzel, Christina Vee, and Megan McDuffee!), while the story roars to life via glorious anime cutscenes and manga-style intermissions.
Rated E10+ by the ESRB, River City Girls will be available digitally via the Nintendo eShop, PlayStation Store, Xbox Live, Steam, GOG, and Humble Bundle at the price of $29.99, while a physical version will also be available from Limited Run Games (price and release date TBD).

Birdo

Banned

giphy.gif

Looks pretty cool. I'll wait to here how much content is in it before I'll jump at that price. If it's closer to the original River City Ransom, I'm definitely in.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The price is really high for something that looks this out of date. The music is terrible as well, I'd get it for a dollar.
So double dragon in high school? Neat I guess.

Not getting SJW vibes from this.
I think it is the whole two school girls coming to their kidnapped bf's rescue maybe? ??????

Cleyra

Neo Member
The girls are too much of waifu material for this to be considered SJW trash. WayForward is like one of the last few western devs that doesn't makes their female characters ugly on purpose. Shantae 5 is getting an animated opening by Studio Trigger, which has people from Gainax that worked on stuff like Kill la Kill and Panty & Stocking, so you can expect some really nice animation in all the important places from it :)

The girls are too much of waifu material for this to be considered SJW trash. WayForward is like one of the last few western devs that doesn't makes their female characters ugly on purpose. Shantae 5 is getting an animated opening by Studio Trigger, which has people from Gainax that worked on stuff like Kill la Kill and Panty & Stocking, so you can expect some really nice animation in all the important places from it :)

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about Wayforward:
20170430141520_1.jpg

MiguelItUp

Lol @ girl characters, sjw nonsense!

I'm a big River City fan, so I'm actually pretty stoked about this. But I think it would've been cool if they followed the art style from the other River City titles. :messenger_ok:

River City Ransom: Underground was kind of disappointing I think; it looked the part but didn't feel like it belonged to the series. That game was developed by Conatus Creative Inc.

I have more faith in developers like WayForward; they often capture the essence of a classic genre or series.

kunonabi

Looks solid to me even if I find wayforward to be pretty hit or miss. One of the bosses better have a damn yo-yo though.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Were the 2 kidnapped guys Kunio & Riki? Looks like them with cool redesigns, make them playable after beating the game please!

Edit: That's what happens for not reading the article
Edit2: And they're the actual canonical girlfriends of K&R, not original characters as I first assumed. Pretty dang awesome.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Fuck yes, day one.

I got the latest River City game (can't remember the name right now) and it was a cool nostalgia trip but to be honest I couldn't advance much and the fighting wasn't that satisfying. This time I think it will be different. The pedigree is there, the franchise is fun... Good ingridients for success.

This looks a like fun, plus I’m a big fan of beat em ups. I’ll definitely check it out. Price will probably be a little steep for most people, but we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Haha, looks fun, they took the teen girl comic look to the extreme with the dreamy boyfriends rather than make it look cool/edgy/whatever just with female characters instead of male, it nicely juxtaposes its violent nature. I'll keep an eye out for it, hope the gameplay's fluid, good and deep :)
Fuck yes, day one.

I got the latest River City game (can't remember the name right now) and it was a cool nostalgia trip but to be honest I couldn't advance much and the fighting wasn't that satisfying. This time I think it will be different. The pedigree is there, the franchise is fun... Good ingridients for success.
If you mean River City Ransom: Underground the fighting engine/style is among the best to me, it wasn't very balanced and the game design around it was a bit too simplistic and not quite polished but it wasn't tough to advance, easier than the original probably, and the amount of animations for different moves, specials and combos they managed to put in those low-res sprites was insane. I doubt this will top that fighting style, I don't see anything crazy in the video either, but hopefully they will have a more polished game around the fighting.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Haha, looks fun, they took the teen girl comic look to the extreme with the dreamy boyfriends rather than make it look cool/edgy/whatever just with female characters instead of male, it nicely juxtaposes its violent nature. I'll keep an eye out for it, hope the gameplay's fluid, good and deep :)

If you mean River City Ransom: Underground the fighting engine/style is among the best to me, it wasn't very balanced and the game design around it was a bit too simplistic and not quite polished but it wasn't tough to advance, easier than the original probably, and the amount of animations for different moves, specials and combos they managed to put in those low-res sprites was insane. I doubt this will top that fighting style, I don't see anything crazy in the video either, but hopefully they will have a more polished game around the fighting.

I accept I'm not among the more skilled gamers and I know part of the enjoyment of the game comes from the difficulty and the lack of hand holding but I found it a bit frustrating. Never felt an even field when fighting enemies.

The game looks awesome and I agree that the animations are great.

Shantae should get a cameo in here.

I loved Street Gangs when I got it on the Wii's VC.

If it plays very similar to that then I will get the LRG version if posible.

Uh, I think you got your Trump wires crossed, if anything the "sjw"s would be the ones against this game.
The game doesn’t really look like it’s “woke” at all, but I get the weariness people have for the female protagonists at this point. It usually means it’s going to go girl-power and make fun on men. I don’t get that impression from the trailer, but at first glance I can see someone making that assumption.

FStubbs

The game doesn’t really look like it’s “woke” at all, but I get the weariness people have for the female protagonists at this point. It usually means it’s going to go girl-power and make fun on men. I don’t get that impression from the trailer, but at first glance I can see someone making that assumption.

I don't know why you would. My first impression was "more River City Ransom" and also "lol fanservice".

I love wayforward though the last Shantae game kind of let me down, too linear for my taste. Anyway, It looks good despite I'd rather have other graphic style.

Top Bottom