• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'River City Girls' (Switch, PS4, X1, and PC) arriving on Sept. 5th; $29.99; includes guests from River City Ransom series

Wonko_C

It's the other way around. The coins date all the way back to River City Ransom on the NES. That game was Scott Pilgrim's main inspiration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

BlackTron

I'm digging the animation and pixel art. Too many 2D games these days are using polygons instead and I almost never like how it turns out (I tried to look past it in Bloodstained but it just became a big meh to me.) Doesn't strike me as a thirty buck game though.

"two street-tough high-schoolers "

I had to chuckle.

Also, when people are confusing SJW with Japanese schoolgirls, they really don't even know what their own opinion is lol.

Going to get the Ps4 and Switch version when it goes live on Friday.

Regardless of my job status next week. :LOL:

Any secret unlockable characters once you beat the game? I bet there are at least 2 decret characters where you either play the old Flames or Shantae and a Blazeblue/Guilty Gear character. (I vote Bridget for the lulz)

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Dazrael

Yeah I took the plunge. It does play similarly as you’d expect to the River City Ransom games, complete with slow enemy wake ups and the chain is even in there. Coming from Final Fight though it plays slow enough for me to adjust how to play it.

It does have a few niggles mind you, in order to progress to another screen you need to press a button but if you get into a fight at the corner of the screen you can flip screens as the confirm and attack buttons are the same. It can happen on other items you can interact with on the screen too. Not game breaking but an annoying quirk.

It looks lovely though and the acting isn’t quite as bad as I thought it would be, some of the jokes have made me smile. It seems pretty deep too with loads of moves, hidden collectibles and a recruiting mechanic. I don’t know if it is necessarily worth the asking price at the moment but when it goes down in price it’s a good pickup.

McCheese

Never played a river city game, but given I probably won't play it for more than a few hours, will wait for it to hit £15 or less. Not sure there is much of a market for £30 side scrollers.

Never played a river city game, but given I probably won't play it for more than a few hours, will wait for it to hit £15 or less. Not sure there is much of a market for £30 side scrollers.

The original still holds up today if you can play it for cheap.

I bought the LE PS4 and rushed to get the Switch Version separately but so annoyed that LRG won't be combining orders when they release them at the same time.

Last edited:

Kazza

You could give this one a try instead, it's more in your willing price range:

It often goes on sale, so might be worth putting on your wish list, if you're not sure how much you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
It's Wayforward, it's going to be great. They understand classic arcade videogames and have one hell of a track record. I'll gladly pick this game up no questions asked and will likely have a fun time.

This reminds me, I really need to replace the DVD drive on my Nintendo Wii so that I can play Batman: The Bold and the Brave.

Belmonte

Will pick it up later. Not because of the price. Love the genre, great pixel art is demanding and RCG seems to have a lot of content. But I'm playing the Snes Kunio games at the moment, so I will need some time.

Isa

I've got it, can't wait to play it with my girl. The original and what I think were their spinoff games, a football and dodgeball NES game on one cart iirc, are some of the best times I've had gaming. Accidentally hitting my childhood best friend during a combo or jump-kick with those hilarious expressions had me laughing till I cried as a kid. I think the new game by Wayforward was a smart choice and the game looks excellent!

petran79

Banned
I beat second boss which was the easiest brawler boss I met.
Very good presentation overall, especially for anime viewers since it parodizes many cliches.
Pixel art and animation are phenomenal, one of the best in recent years. Way above Scot Pilgrim

as for gameplay, it is not that difficult if you are used playing brawlers but it can get repetitive if you don't unlock and buy extra moves.

If only game had also Japanese dub too I'd justify the price more but I think this is one of the best animated pixel art games

Weird that GOG release isn't out yet as advertised in the trailer

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's a little tougher than I expected, because the game does not feel fast. Your character feels very heavy and slow. Enemies have fast attacks that cover a fair bit of distance. Your block does not feel snappy. But once you get used to it all, it's pretty fun. The animations for the new moves are so good it makes it a lot more fun. Just some basic haymaker punches and new kicks visually pack so much power that it makes it fun. The game is not flawless, but if you want a well made beat em up, this is definitely one of those.

The tone of the game is basically Project A-Ko, so if you're a fan of that, you'll like this.

projectako03.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I got spoiled on the ending...Y I K E S
ANYWAY
I've heard plenty people who have said the hitboxes were fucked is this true?
They must've been high when they priced this.
WayForward is dumb!

petran79

Banned
I'd advise future players to mute the voice acting, though I am not sure it is possible in the manga panels. Game becomes much more enjoyable this way
Also use a mod that makes the game better (proper vsync support, more stats and hit stats during fights, skip menus and intros, switch buttons etc)

With this pc version becomes the best, having also ultra wide support. Finished it, relatively easy after a certain level and if you buy food for boss fights. Will try new game+ this time.

Cold stone stunner is a treat to use btw

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a little tougher than I expected, because the game does not feel fast. Your character feels very heavy and slow. Enemies have fast attacks that cover a fair bit of distance. Your block does not feel snappy. But once you get used to it all, it's pretty fun. The animations for the new moves are so good it makes it a lot more fun. Just some basic haymaker punches and new kicks visually pack so much power that it makes it fun. The game is not flawless, but if you want a well made beat em up, this is definitely one of those.

The tone of the game is basically Project A-Ko, so if you're a fan of that, you'll like this.

projectako03.jpg

I realize this post was from almost 3 weeks ago, but this is such an obscure reference and it completely sold me on the thing lol.

Well, once it finally launches on GOG. I dunno why Wayforward is so bad about that -- they announced it was coming there in the launch trailer :-/

Just got my game this morning and I love it!

I recognise Jimmy from Double Dragon at the Dojo, and mentions his Brother in a comedic way! :LOL:

Why oh why didn't this get a normal release? Even Limited Run admitted that they got over 20,000 pre-orders for the games! (25K I think it was).

It's kind of dumb that WayForward didn't just release this as is as many of the Nintendo loyalists would have bought this for nostalgia alone!

Top Bottom