• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'River City Girls' (Switch, PS4, X1, and PC) arriving on Sept. 5th; $29.99; includes guests from River City Ransom series

Banned
WayForward coming at us again with their top tier waifu games :)

they just have te cutest art

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game doesn’t really look like it’s “woke” at all, but I get the weariness people have for the female protagonists at this point. It usually means it’s going to go girl-power and make fun on men. I don’t get that impression from the trailer, but at first glance I can see someone making that assumption.
And those people probably need to get help, because if you get that vibe from this game then you're officially in the tin-foil hat and then you're now looking for reasons to be offended.

It's as not bad as SonGoku saying Borderlands 3 had SJW vibes though. THAT was pure comedy.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
at the price of $29.99
giphy.gif

Whitesnake

Banned
Looks great. And with Wayforward and ArcSys behind it I'm confident it'll play great too.

$30 is pretty steep for a little beat 'em up game though. Unless the reviews all say it's absolutely extraordinary, I'm probably gonna wait until the price drops.

Whitecrow

Banned
Didnt pay attention to this for the video thumbnail, but it does look really cool indeed. They will get my money.

Doom85

Kidnapped boyfriends huh. I'm not really wired to be motivated to help a girl get her boyfriend back.

Wha, what? Well, I'm sure no sane person would willingly want to hang out in Silent Hill yet many of us loved SH 1-3. Why do you have to have the same desires as the character you're playing? That would make it really difficult to play a GTA game for any non-murderer (alright, just going to drive really slow, watch out for pedestrians, obey the rules of the road. After all, I'm a law-abiding citizen so I have to play this game the same way!)

Seriously, virtually all of this game will be about beating the shit out of criminals and what not, that's the fun. The boyfriends will probably only be there at the very end. Feel free to turn the game off at that end point if you feel you have to or something.

Pimpbaa

Seriously, virtually all of this game will be about beating the shit out of criminals and what not, that's the fun. The boyfriends will probably only be there at the very end. Feel free to turn the game off at that end point if you feel you have to or something.

Yeah people generally don't play beat 'em ups for the story. Even if this series has more story than the usual brawler, it's not going to be some heavily narrative driven rpg or something (where you would generally feel more of a connection with the main character the more you play). Plus I really don't think this is aimed at women/girls considering this series started at a time when girl gamers were a much more rare thing.

Wha, what? Well, I'm sure no sane person would willingly want to hang out in Silent Hill yet many of us loved SH 1-3. Why do you have to have the same desires as the character you're playing? That would make it really difficult to play a GTA game for any non-murderer (alright, just going to drive really slow, watch out for pedestrians, obey the rules of the road. After all, I'm a law-abiding citizen so I have to play this game the same way!)

You take one reaction and run with it, I don't play horror games so why we on Silent Hill?

What you going on about? I understand when you play a game the story is not always going to fit your head space or identity.
I am a black male and most games I have access to playing are focused on white male protags. So I understand what it could feel like for girls to have women protags to play as.

I am not against this game, it looks dope. I simply reacted expressing my first impression of this concept being shown in the trailer. People tend to play what they like, for the most part role playing is a major part of gaming for some folks. Like I said we don't always get a story to fit our own identity so you have to be able to imagine yourself in a role if you want to play a game at all.

It is not that I mind playing as a girl while I am a boy, I play as female characters 90% of the time if given the choice in a game, even GTA V online my character is a female. I always find that more pleasing to spend hours of gameplay looking at a female butt than a male one. But in my head space I don't BECOME that chick, she is my girl. Because that is where my head space is at that is what I am attracted to and motivated by.

So I don't normally play as a girl in a game I know ahead of time that a girl I am playing as has a strong romantic story connection to a male NPC. I've seen the outcry online where people are asking to play as Zelda, I'm not one who is looking for that choice unless I can control Link at the same time and Zelda is strongly tied to him.

My comment is about the concept flip not being a motivation for me, this kidnap thing was a gaming concept I played a long time ago on my NES and many games between then and now. I don't mind seeing a progressive twist but that does not mean this suddendly becomes my shit. It did not change my gender, of what turns me on or pushes my buttons. It is nice for people who never had those representations have a chance to play games I played long ago but now has a character that represents them, this does not mean I have to become one of them. I can't admit this was not made for me, it does not mean I am rejecting anyone else's choice I am just saying where's my motivation? I am not going to save her boyfriend, she mine now :3

He a punkass for getting kidnapped, that where my roleplaying wiring is at. It does not matter if it is a major key to the story or not, they showed it in the trailer and I am just saying I ain't motivated to save his ass if I am to play as her, she mine now.

Doom85

I am not going to save her boyfriend, she mine now :3

All right, skipping the rest because geezus that was a lot and regardless I think you're only limiting yourself if you feel you just HAVE to play characters that way, but whatever, you do you.

But regarding this point, again just either close the game down after beating the last boss or if it'll let you just skip the final cutscene. Like I doubt the girls will constantly be stopping and thinking romantic thoughts about their boyfriends so you're seriously not giving a game a chance because of something that'll probably consist of 1-2% of the game at most.

Durask

Well...looks good, unfortunately I really don't like pixel art, I want my 2D in high res.
So I will pass. :messenger_unamused:

sol_bad

It's a beat'em up. No one cares about the story or character motivations in these games.

Saying it doesn't interest you for this reason is like saying you have no interest in Daytona USA 3 because there a storyline blurb about how you are playing a female driver and she is trying to win the heart of the man she loves.

Who gives an eff, the gameplay is king.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did he really just use the word cringe when talking about a fellow employee of a company he works for? That's a good way to go from business manager to wishing you could at least be a McDonald's manager, and not a good MCD's either.
I think he's talking about himself there, calm down.

People sure are eager to see others lose their jobs on here, lol, from SEGA's localization guy changing "fuck she's hot" (which is also a very liberal translation to match the language) to "smile for me" to this dude making a joke at the expense of his own self. I hope you don't run companies, lol.

Last edited:
I think he's talking about himself there, calm down.

People sure are eager to see others lose their jobs on here, lol, from SEGA's localization guy changing "fuck she's hot" (which is also a very liberal translation to match the language) to "smile for me" to this dude making a joke at the expense of his own self. I hope you don't run companies, lol.
Ironic since what I said was a joke too dude......... A "better watch himself" joke at that, I didn't say anything about he should actually be fired.....

That said I didn't know he was also a writer there, just a designer and business development manager (I do see he has author and screenwriter listed separate from his Wayforward job descriptions) , although if you had actually looked at his twitter in general you could see how it would be easy to make that mistake he was taking shots at a company he works with letting a male write for a female character, especially with tweets like "We have a #RacistPresident. Anyone disagreeing might be a little racist themselves."

However.....
I hope you don't run companies, lol.
He actually has it written on his twitter right after his job description that his opinions are his alone. So I'm going to take a wild guess and say that maybe some others at Wayforward wanted it to be known he doesn't represent them, just a guess, "lol."

Last edited:
Seen the gameplay and love it! :pie_sfwth:

Is LRG doing the physical release or something? Might get this for Switch.

Just saw my earlier comment. I think it is. My brain is frazzled.

Last edited:
So it's ok for women to beat up men, but if it's the other way around, they require a sex change because it's ok to beat up trans in the case of Poison?

nkarafo

Though i don't like Anime, the art style definitely looks more consistent than the new Streets of Rage and it also has more animation frames which is always a good thing.

A good handful of hot takes in this thread, here's mine: Are those the coins from the eradicated Scott Pilgrim PS3 Game?

For a decent discount, I think I will try this with my partner. Looks heluva lot of fun!

Top Bottom