• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RNC raises millions more than DNC in July

Tylercrat

Banned
We can't just be the anti-Trump party. That's not going to cut it all. When the Democrats were the anti-Nixon party, we got Jimmy Carter (a box of nothing) and then the Reagan revolution. I don't have any pure solutions. We just need to find charismatic people with the freshest relevent ideas.

TyrantII

Hillary raised more money than Donald and it didn't do her any good.

The first down the ticket you go, the more important the money advantage is to get elected.

Not as sexy as the top of the ticket, but conservatives understand this while liberals do not.

Armaros

The RNC and DNC are national organizations, they handle presidential elections more than state races. Groups like the DCCC and DSCC are more insightful for midterms.

Also it makes sense for republicans to be able to fundraise better for 2020, they have a President who is probably gonna run again while the Dems are still looking to an uncertain 2020 field. This stuff isnt outside of the norm, people donate when they know what they are getting.

And unlike all other modern Presidents, Trump (and Pence) have already started up their reelection campaigns. So the RNC follows.

Socivol

Hoping the Dems can flip the House in the midterms but outside of being Anti-Trump I don't think they have a cohesive message or cohesive leadership. Their "Better Deal" manifesto is going to be DOA because it's not saying anything new and has a shit name for marketing purposes.

They gave him an insane amount of funding because early polls made it look like a possible 1 point difference.

After they dumped tons of money and made it a national campaign he got killed and lost by more than 5 points. Quist did almost as well in an even larger +R district after getting basically no funding/attention.

I think not being able to flip independents had a lot to do with the way his campaign was run. He was succesfully painted as a DNC puppet. If he came out and said he would refuse PAC money and hammered the GOP candidate for not doing so I think he would have flipped A LOT more independents. I's tend to gravitate towards politicians like that.

And by got killed by more than 5 you means got beat by less than 4...

At least know the numbers dude.

Hoping the Dems can flip the House in the midterms but outside of being Anti-Trump I don't think they have a cohesive message or cohesive leadership. Their "Better Deal" manifesto is going to be DOA because it's not saying anything new and has a shit name for marketing purposes.

I don't think "A Better Deal" is terrible, but it does seem aimed at disaffected Trump voters which is an incredibly dumb choice strategically.

yuoke

Banned
They need to really start pushing Joe Kennedy as the next true leader. He is young, outspoken, and could seriously push a lot of middle of the road people that ended up going trump at the last second.

Mully

The DNC is mess because there is no central message. Just like the Republican Party in 2009, the Dems have a vocal minority of angry white people who feel like they're not being listened to. For the DNC to organize itself, it needs to take control of the media narrative the same way the GOP did.

psyfi

Banned
The right have found their champions in the GOP, while the left has little to no representation with the Democrats.

royalan

They need to really start pushing Joe Kennedy as the next true leader. He is young, outspoken, and could seriously push a lot of middle of the road people that ended up going trump at the last second.

He also manages to be simultaneously boring AND corny.

The anger on the Democratic side just doesn't count? Because this is the angriest the left has been in a long, long time

Because a wave will only happen in the levels we've seen when historically, the base of the party in power is depressed where the base of the other is energized.

Two opposing energized bases won't lead to the sort of 64 house seat type gain in 2010, or the Dems 2006 wave. The opposition needs to be depressed.

I don't think the GOP will be. So being able to win the majorities they will need will require more than typical midterm strategy. They are going to have to be smart. Gains in my opinion, are absolutely NOT guaranteed like they normally would be if they don't plan correctly.

tuxfool

Banned
The DNC is mess because there is no central message. Just like the Republican Party in 2009, the Dems have a vocal minority of angry white people who feel like they're not being listened to. For the DNC to organize itself, it needs to take control of the media narrative the same way the GOP did.

And this comment is a mess. Comparing apples and oranges. the DNC isn't analogous to the GOP, that would be the RNC.

Ms.Galaxy

DNC needs to be shut down and replaced.

That's a sure fire way to give the country to the GOP for a few decades.

That said, I think we should considering rebranding ourselves. New logos, maybe a new nickname. We call Republicans the GOP these days and many keep mistaking the DNC as the main Democratic Party.

And by got killed by more than 5 you means got beat by less than 4...

At least know the numbers dude.

I bowed out that night when he fell back by 5 points

I guess the final numbers turned in a bit better. But still not a good result when, like I said, that special house election cost more than the entire UK election.

I stand by thinking that he would have done better than those numbers or even possibly won rejecting super pac money and making the race about that

I remember hearing the same stuff said about obama for awhile too.

No they did not lol. The first thing anyone thought about Obama when he made a name for himself in 04 was that he was the coolest fucking dude on earth. Joe doesn't have that in him.

I guess the final numbers turned in a bit better. But still not a good result when, like I said, that special house election cost more than the entire UK election.

I stand by thinking that he would have done better than those numbers or even possibly won rejecting super pac money and making the race about that

In suburban Georgia? They don't care about money in politics...

GA-6 is supposed to be a GOP stronghold and it was lost by under 4 points...

Socivol

I don't think "A Better Deal" is terrible, but it does seem aimed at disaffected Trump voters which is an incredibly dumb choice strategically.

I think considering the current climate it's super lame as anything is better than what we currently have. Which goes to my point of the Democratic message seeming to be "We don't like Trump vote for us!" What's actually in the manifesto is also really typical things that don't really stand out. Nothing about it stands out or makes an impression. It's the same talking points they have been spewing with the addition of getting rid of monopolies (lol!).

There is a reason why it hasn't been in the news cycle much and it's because it's predictable and has a super lame name that doesn't really stand for anything.

antonz

The GOP basically runs fundraising ads on TV everyday every hour or so. "President Trump is under attack. Call now to pledge your support"

Unfortunate that Obama was so worried about losing some minor power that it was more important to install an incompetent chair than one from a different wing of the party.

Mully

And this comment is a mess. Comparing apples and oranges. the DNC isn't analogous to the GOP, that would be the RNC.

Sure it is. Bernie stans are exactly like Tea Party Republicans of 2009. The created themselves through a foundation of conspiracy theories (created by Russia and Bannon) and political ignorance.

The tea party was created by a bunch of people who believed in birtherism and political ignorance.

The parallels are clear.

Shauni

Because a wave will only happen in the levels we've seen when historically, the base of the party in power is depressed where the base of the other is energized.

Two opposing energized bases won't lead to the sort of 64 house seat type gain in 2010, or the Dems 2006 wave. The opposition needs to be depressed.

I don't think the GOP will be. So being able to win the majorities they will need will require more than typical midterm strategy. They are going to have to be smart. Gains in my opinion, are absolutely NOT guaranteed like they normally would be if they don't plan correctly.

There's more Democratic voters than GOP ones. That's why a high turnout overall favors the Dems country wide.

Steel

Banned
The GOP basically runs fundraising ads on TV everyday every hour or so. "President Trump is under attack. Call now to pledge your support"

Yeah, the President's cult following is like a pyramid scheme at this point. All that money funneling upwards.

Yes in the seat once held by Newt Gengrich and by no Democrats in recent memory - if ever. The fact that the GOP had to spend just as much to keep the seat says a lot.

kirblar

Yeah, the President's cult following is like a pyramid scheme at this point. All that money funneling upwards.
I mean, it's not a cult that's like a pyramid scheme, his campaign is a pyramid scheme. The whole "re-election campaign running in your first year" thing ain't normal at all.

In suburban Georgia? They don't care about money in politics...

GA-6 is supposed to be a GOP stronghold and it was lost by under 4 points...

I disagree. I think everyone cares. I think it's one of the only truly bi-partisan things that both people on the far left and right agree on. I don't think anyone in the country sees the amount of money injected into elections as a good thing.

The early polls before it became a national campaign showed the race being much closer so even if it was "supposed" to be a GOP stronghold, the final votes given the investment, if you believe that, tons of money=better results, were not good.

News that Dems were getting outrasied wouldn't matter to me if I thought that they were A) more capable of making the most of the money they did receive by investing it smarter rather than dumping it in expensive Cable TV ad buys that don't work or B) overall agreed to a clean, ethically sound party manifesto that deligitimized whatever financial advantage republicans have by successfully painting their opponents as too corporate friendly.

But they aren't doing that. Currently, they are just engaging in the same sort of arms race republicans are just doing worse at it. I think it would be smart over all for them to change their strategy, distance themselves from corporate investment in politics to create a better contrast between themselves and their opponents.

Yes in the seat once held by Newt Gengrich and by no Democrats in recent memory - if ever. The fact that the GOP had to spend just as much to keep the seat says a lot.

It really doesn't say much of anything. We currently hold a Montana senate seat in a single district state. Why was a race, which we will need to win in 2018 anyway just to hold onto the senate seats we have, an unwinnable lost cost and not worth investing in, but a money dump into a GOP suburb that was still a multi point loss indicitive of anything.

All it says to me is that people in the Democratic party still are clinging to the concept that rural america is gone but affluent suburbs will swing to them because Trump is crazy and says bad words in front of their children. This notion failed in 2016 and will not work going forward either.

Foffy

Banned
Dems need a narrative beyond being an opposition block.

The problem there is the narrative, or whatever is there, is really so tiny now compared to being the anti-Trump brigade, which makes sense as a minority party.

The reality is that the Democrats have to play dirty just like the Republicans to win. They should start propaganda news sources that relay on false information. Fight fire with fire, or be burnt. It's how it is. The Democrats have also been lacking a face, or unified message. The people on the further left are alienated , and the centrists prefer lower taxes. There has to be some compromise on social policy such as abortion. As awful as that sounds, the pro life movement have been making an impact on elections for democrats in many parts of the country. What I mean is that don't make abortion a platform policy, but make it on individual basis for anyone running for office. In more liberal parts of the country stick to pro choice, and where it's more conservative stick to pro life.

Democrats fall in love and Republicans fall in line, as the old saying goes.
A narrative/message doesn't mean shit, we need another charismatic leader.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hillary raised more money than Donald and it didn't do her any good.
Hillary had one of the most out-of-touch media teams, just one cringeworthy attempt to relate with youth after another.

Donald had Cambridge Analytica, and put most of his money into it. Definitely money better spent.

Top Bottom