• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RNC raises millions more than DNC in July

royalan

Hillary had one of the most out-of-touch media teams, just one cringeworthy attempt to relate with youth after another.

Donald had Cambridge Analytica, and put most of his money into it. Definitely money better spent.

I disagree. If anything, her team didn't account for the "Bitch eating crackers" effect that had solidified around her.

Bernie goes on Ellen, dances just like every other old person who goes on Ellen dances: "OMG look at how ADORABLE Uncle Bernie is!! This old white man from a rural state that nobody heard of until last year is SO RELATEABLE!"

Hillary goes on Ellen, dances just like every other old person who goes on Ellen dances: HILLARY did the DAB!? HOW DARE SHE!?! WE SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOU SHILLARY!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I dunno, the DNC doesn't really fund elections (that would be the DSCC and DCCC) so no huge deal.

Pretty much. Donate to the DNC in the build up to 2020, right now the DSCC and DCCC are the ones to donate money to before we see who is running where.

I think considering the current climate it's super lame as anything is better than what we currently have. Which goes to my point of the Democratic message seeming to be "We don't like Trump vote for us!" What's actually in the manifesto is also really typical things that don't really stand out. Nothing about it stands out or makes an impression. It's the same talking points they have been spewing with the addition of getting rid of monopolies (lol!).

There is a reason why it hasn't been in the news cycle much and it's because it's predictable and has a super lame name that doesn't really stand for anything.

Millions of people voted for Trump, he still has a 35% approval rating, and even a decent number of liberals were so curmudgeonly about Hillary that they considered voting (or did vote) 3rd party. We can't take it as a given that everyone agrees anything is better than what we currently have. There are plenty of people who either don't think Trump's been that bad or they outright support him. With that in mind, "a better deal" is a bad choice strategically to me because it seems most likely to sway disaffected Trump voters (the ones who might not agree that anything is better than what we currently have) rather than disaffected democrats (the ones who probably already know that anything is better than what we have now).

All we ever need to do in any national election is get our base to show up. That's it. Don't need a single republican to jump ship. With that in mind, I don't know why Dems are so terrified of hurting the feelings of moderate republicans. We don't need a single Kasich supporter to join our team. We need the Jill Stein and "Bernie or bust" types, even if they may come with a share of stupid, conspiratorial beliefs. That will at least propel some support for single payer and such, while bringing in the moderates at the cost of the far-left will get us things like milquetoast Merrick Garland nominations, a guy the Dems gave so little of a shit about that the principle of his nomination being denied was much more impactful than what his absence from the bench would actually mean for liberal ideals.

royalan

Millions of people voted for Trump, he still has a 35% approval rating, and even a decent number of liberals were so curmudgeonly about Hillary that they considered voting (or did vote) 3rd party. We can't take it as a given that everyone agrees anything is better than what we currently have. There are plenty of people who either don't think Trump's been that bad or they outright support him. With that in mind, "a better deal" is a bad choice strategically to me because it seems most likely to sway disaffected Trump voters (the ones who might not agree that anything is better than what we currently have) rather than disaffected democrats (the ones who probably already know that anything is better than what we have now).

All we ever need to do in any national election is get our base to show up. That's it. Don't need a single republican to jump ship. With that in mind, I don't know why Dems are so terrified of hurting the feelings of moderate republicans. We don't need a single Kasich supporter to join our team. We need the Jill Stein and "Bernie or bust" types, even if they may come with a share of stupid, conspiratorial beliefs.

AMEN

SAY IT AGAIN

Pretty much. Donate to the DNC in the build up to 2020, right now the DSCC and DCCC are the ones to donate money to before we see who is running where.

yeah but at the same time this sort of confusion for some people is part of the problem. I don't really see much reason why they need to be separate bodies. Why not just consolidate them like the GOP?

Codeblue

I never really hear from the DNC.

I donate monthly to the DCCC and they still hound me with multiple phone calls a day and mailers every other week.

All we ever need to do in any national election is get our base to show up. That's it. Don't need a single republican to jump ship.

I agree which is why "Civil Rights & Labor, Labor & Civil Rights", or however you want to put it is a better slogan than a stupid riff on some old FDR/Papa John's slogan.

Ms.Galaxy

yeah but at the same time this sort of confusion for some people is part of the problem. I don't really see much reason why they need to be separate bodies. Why not just consolidate them like the GOP?

The RNC, NRSC, and the NRCC are the respective counterparts to the DNC, DSCC, and DCCC.

"Money didn't help Hillary" pretty sure we can't actually qualify that until we see a spend per county sheet and see how it correlated.

Macro evaluation of "she had moar moneys and lost" doesn't tell us anything.

Game Guru

The divide in the Democratic Party has been between social justice and economic justice. The problem is that the Democratic Party refuses to go all-in on either option. To go all in with economic justice means siding with the ones who favored Bernie in the past election, which the Democratic Party has been unwilling to do. However, going all in with social justice means making sure Trump is a boat anchor for the Republican Party. The Republicans shouldn't be allowed to wriggle out of it. Trump is their candidate and a perfect representation of what the Republican Party as a whole wants on social issues, and the Democratic Party should point that out every chance they get.

The GOP doesn't consolidate them.

The RNC, NRSC, and the NRCC are the respective counterparts to the DNC, DSCC, and DCCC.
I see, I was under the impression that their structure was different. Never attempted to donate to them so I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, but that's not true at all.
I think there's as much of an argument to make for it being true as the reverse. There's probably only two or three different factions of the party vs. the dozen different "types" of Republicans

The Democrats are anti-Labor too and have been for decades now though.
I'm not really worried about them trying to campaign on a labor platform as most seem to agree the lack of economic messaging in 2016 was bad for them. I'm more so worried about them being too scared about pissing off people who freak out whenever they hear about Colin Kaepernick (i.e., people who aren't voted Dem anyway) to put Civil Rights or Social Justice as a main campaign issue, even during a time when the current Republican president and convservative media outlets are defending and aligning with Neo Nazis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, people need to keep in mind that Trump is already running for reelection and has been since like February. He's declared and everything. That changes the rules for him in terms of fundraising.

You're all seeing one organization that's in campaign mode, in terms of fundraising, and one that isn't.

I'm not really worried about them trying to campaign on a labor platform as most seem to agree the lack of economic messaging in 2016 was bad for them. I'm more so worried about them being too scared about pissing people who freak out whenever they hear about Colin Kaepernick (i.e., people who aren't voted Dem anyway) to put Civil Rights or Social Justice as a main campaign issue, even during a time when the current Republican president and convservative media outlets are defending and aligning with Neo Nazis

I'm not really worried about them trying to campaign on a labor platform either because they straight up simply will not do that anymore. Their corporate paymasters will not allow it.

The slow strangulation of the labor movement in the US is one of the biggest reasons why the middle class and poor are being starved out of politics not to mention house and home. And the reality is that the old beating heart of the Democratic base has long been labor and as the Democrats have abandoned labor, labor has abandoned them. Hillary's complete disaster in the Rust Belt should have been an obvious warning sign that labor is fed up with the Democrats but they don't seem to get it so enjoy continuing to lose I guess.

I'm not really worried about them trying to campaign on a labor platform either because they straight up simply will not do that anymore. Their corporate paymasters will not allow it.

The slow strangulation of the labor movement in the US is one of the biggest reasons why the middle class and poor are being starved out of politics not to mention house and home. And the reality is that the old beating heart of the Democratic base has long been labor and as the Democrats have abandoned labor, labor has abandoned them. Hillary's complete disaster in the Rust Belt should have been an obvious warning sign that labor is fed up with the Democrats but they don't seem to get it so enjoy continuing to lose I guess.
God it must pain you whenever a dem does anything at all given how every single thread you're in it parroting the same tired narrative.

We get it.

jWILL253

Banned
The Democratic party has plenty of leaders. All I see are people making excuses as to why they won't vote for them.

Eventually, if liberal voters want any kind of progress in any way, they have to stop taking their balls and going home every time they don't get everything they want in a candidate, when they want it.

This is the downside of the Obama presidency. When you have a good leader doing so many good things for your country, it's easy to get complacent and forget we still have a ways to go for progress. And then we start being picky over small bullshit, rather than looking at the bigger picture. A large number of liberal voters in the West have lost the plot and can't see the forest for the trees. Not every candidate has to be an Obama, and to expect so is foolish and self-defeating. And we don't have to divide the party over what are often small differences in ideology.

But here we are. We have a chance to capitalize on the fallout from Trump's shenanigans over the year, but we're too busy picking fights with each other over bullshit and alienating key demographics in our own base.

kirblar

You can't have organized labor when there is no labor to organize. As manufacturing has declined as a sector of the economy, so has the power of organized labor. There was no stopping this change to the economy, no magical bulwark that could stop the technological revolution we've seen over the past 30+ years from occurring.

The idea that the Democrats "haven't done enough to stop it" is ridiculous. They could no more stop the economic forces of the past 4 decades than they could stop a hurricane.

JettDash

The Democratic party has plenty of leaders. All I see are people making excuses as to why they won't vote for them.

Eventually, if liberal voters want any kind of progress in any way, they have to stop taking their balls and going home every time they don't get everything they want in a candidate, when they want it.

This is the downside of the Obama presidency. When you have a good leader doing so many good things for your country, it's easy to get complacent and forget we still have a ways to go for progress. And then we start being picky over small bullshit, rather than looking at the bigger picture. A large number of liberal voters in the West have lost the plot and can't see the forest for the trees. Not every candidate has to be an Obama, and to expect so is foolish and self-defeating. And we don't have to divide the party over what are often small differences in ideology.

But here we are. We have a chance to capitalize on the fallout from Trump's shenanigans over the year, but we're too busy picking fights with each other over bullshit and alienating key demographics in our own base.

Very well said.

You can't have organized labor when there is no labor to organize. As manufacturing has declined as a sector of the economy, so has the power of organized labor. There was no stopping this change to the economy, no magical bulwark that could stop the technological revolution we've seen over the past 30+ years from occurring.

The idea that the Democrats "haven't done enough to stop it" is ridiculous. They could no more stop the economic forces of the past 4 decades than they could stop a hurricane.
Which also misses the fact that they DID try and stop it. It's not Bill Clinton's fault that he took Alan Greenspan's advice to be gospel and ignored hos other advisers like Robert Reich when he was trying to "save" labor. By the time Obama was in office it was beyond too late and the last Democratic president before that was Jimmy freaking Carter.

The Dems have had only two real swings at it and yet here we are seeing people say "THEY ABANDONED LABOR". It's a bit mad.

royalan

Praise this post.

This post is ridiculous. You're telling me that organized labor only applies to heavy manufacturing and other jobs pr professions can't unionize if they wanted? I don't even know what you're saying here. For some reason Europe has shifted it's economies primarily to service sectors just as the US has and yet they have strong labor movements there. Maybe it's time to stop reading only neoliberal sources and get out more, such as to anywhere in Europe.

I wouldn't say that at all. Because money sure as hell didn't help Hillary.

The smaller the race, the more important money is. Presidential election, it's nice but it isn't the end-all. Senate race, it's more important, but you can overcome with a good candidate or a good campaign strategy. House races, more important but not impossible to overcome. Anything lower than that, and generally whomever spends the most money wins unless the other person is incompetent or just plain evil.

One of the reasons Republicans control so many state legislatures is that their big money donors realized that it's much easier to sway the smaller elections with money than the bigger ones.

The reduction in employee power wasn't just technological/automation related. It was politician supported McDonaldsization of creating large companies where the product and chain is exactly the same regardless of where they are or who they employ. If the products or business locations are all the same then the employee is disposable. Had the Koch Bros and other large companies not been able to lobby or get favorable laws approved to give them the financial ability to buy out and kill competition, maybe there would be significantly more smaller businesses with better paying jobs and employees who were allowed to better prove their worth to the company by having larger realms of responsibilities in various industries than there are now.

The same thing for example is going to happen to all of these Micro breweries that are popping up everywhere, Bud and others are going to buy them all out, cheapen their products and replace their talent with cheap patsies who excel at doing nothing other than what they are told. I think the Government does have the power to stop things like that.

It always pains me when I see people commenting "Another job lost..." on articles about some new form of automation. Like, do we just want to hault technological progress so your uncle can keep sticking labels on mustard bottles? What really scares me is that no Dems are willing to be truly progressive and fight for UBI. This is likely the position Zuckerberg is going to flank them from in 2020.

royalan

It always pains me when I see people commenting "Another job lost..." on articles about some new form of automation. Like, do we just want to hault technological progress so your uncle can keep sticking labels on mustard bottles? What really scares me is that no Dems are willing to be truly progressive and fight for UBI. This is likely the position Zuckerberg is going to flank them from in 2020.

I have seen no sign that Zuckerberg is for UBI. Most of his political views seem to be rather moderate, and that's being generous.

Funny considering Pelosi defended being leader and losing the election and nearly every other vote by saying she could raise more money than anyone else.

kirblar

This post is ridiculous. You're telling me that organized labor only applies to heavy manufacturing and other jobs pr professions can't unionize if they wanted? I don't even know what you're saying here. For some reason Europe has shifted it's economies primarily to service sectors just as the US has and yet they have strong labor movements there. Maybe it's time to stop reading only neoliberal sources and get out more, such as to anywhere in Europe.
Because you don't understand the core issue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_density

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_and_population_of_European_countries

Now, it's not a perfect match 1:1, but there might be a pretty good correlation between these two things and how they approach policy!

It's far easier to organize when you have a critical mass of people. When a large swath of your country is agrarian and rural, that tends to hold things back! (because if you're spread over a large amount of terrain, organization is rough!)
I have seen no sign that Zuckerberg is for UBI. Most of his political views seem to be rather moderate, and that's being generous.
He's explicitly come out in favor of it.

JettDash

Zuckerberg isn't perfect (or maybe even good). But he is definitely better than Trump. If he runs as a Democrat and wins the primary, every single left leaning person that doesn't vote for him in the general deserves another four years of Trump.

Zuckerberg isn't perfect (or maybe even good). But he is definitely better than Trump. If he runs as a Democrat and wins the primary, every single left leaning person that doesn't vote for him in the general deserves another four years of Trump.

I'll vote for the dude if I gotta but if it really comes down to Zuckerberg vs Trump 2020, I will be increasingly confident that we just ain't gonna make it in the long run

Zuckerberg running for president gives me the willies.

Shit just feels slimy and like we've failed as a society. Where the billionaire technocrat runs against the reality TV star for who gets the nuke codes.

I think people should be more hopeful about who the nominee will be in 2020 rather than preemptively submitting to a candidate that will force many to take a trip to their local vomitorium shortly after visiting the polling booth.

Top Bottom