• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road House - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Jake Gyllenhaal Sport GIF by UFC

StueyDuck

Watched it. Had fun. Was surprisingly enjoyable, not sure what all the negative reviewers are smoking.

Is it the original, does it have the same charm? Of course not.

But I actually like that it's not trying to emulate the original, I also enjoyed the credits saying based on the motion picture. The creators way of saying it's not meant to replace or be a remake.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Very fun flick. Entertaining from start to finish. I can go into a deep analysis but I won't. Had fun. Been a hot minute

Liked this movie but without a doubt a very PG-13 version of the original. Not worthy of the title 'Road House' without not even a trace of the debauchery of the classic.
Zoomers would get triggered with the "kiss her tits" scene
Just wanted to clarify this for any new watchers here: This is definitely not a PG-13 movie, so be cautious regarding kids. There are multiple scenes of brutality including a guy's head getting almost caved in, bones being broken on multiple occasions, murders, and another guy getting torn apart by a gator.

midnightAI

Just wanted to clarify this for any new watchers here: This is definitely not a PG-13 movie, so be cautious regarding kids. There are multiple scenes of brutality including a guy's head getting almost caved in, bones being broken on multiple occasions, murders, and another guy getting torn apart by a gator.
Ahhhh, fun times

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can see a good portion of Michael Douglas in McGregor :D

I kind miss this kind of movie that were so common in the late 80's/90's
I'm a bit worried we will see even more mining of the 80s. Romancing the Stone is high on my list of properties they should just leave alone. I'm not sure why those older films just hit harder, but I want new stuff, not perversions of the past.

Gp1

I'm a bit worried we will see even more mining of the 80s. Romancing the Stone is high on my list of properties they should just leave alone. I'm not sure why those older films just hit harder, but I want new stuff, not perversions of the past.

I was thinking more on the small/AA movies. Simple premises etc, that were common in the 80's/90's, not just remakes.
Good examples? Greyhound, Tetris, Air, etc.

INC

Never had full upper lats have you? Then again he's slightly exaggerating as in flexing somewhat perhaps
Slightly.........🤣🤣🤣 he's not flexing, he's literally walking around with his arms 3 ft apart whilst clenching his fish non stop

As said, it's comedy genius on his part 🤣

Sonik

Should it have had a theatrical release?

Nah, it's perfect for streaming imo, this is what streaming should have been instead of the current state of affairs with countless Netflix trash that literally make you regret watching movies/shows. A low budget 6-7 out of ten movie, that is fun to watch and does a decent enough job to setup characters and plot. Even with its many flaws it's still fun because it does the basic stuff right, Hollywood can't even do this shit right nowadays

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked this way more than Madame Web. McGregor was way too camp but I get the impression that he was actually as coked out as he appeared.
Yes he definitely appeared to be on something. But that may of just been him acting.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Slightly.........🤣🤣🤣 he's not flexing, he's literally walking around with his arms 3 ft apart whilst clenching his fish non stop

As said, it's comedy genius on his part 🤣

Well flexing your upper lats and walking like you own the place was pretty funny. I thought he looked badass haha. Naked and shit. Just playing himself+ lmao

Why not... Would you go in that case though?

Btw: watched Southpaw right after. Very entertaining as well.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Pleasantly surprised how fun it was. I agree, the critic score is wrong. I think too many people are going to ignore or have bias simply because its a remake which is a shame.

The fight scenes steal the show. There is some really good impact to the punches and the camera doesn't pan away. Leaps and bounds better than throwing people over tables and kick/pushes.

Toots

Gold Member
As much as Road House 2 did.

Watched it in 2 sessions with copious amount of legal and illegal drugs in the system.
It was lame overall.
I love Gyllenhall as an actor, but his "aloof hero who's weird and cool at the same time" starts to get old.

Not a lot happening really for a two hours movie.

There's a few thrilling "revenge via proxy" scenes, like in Amazon's Reacher, where he fucks up unsavory characters the way you wish you could last time you got mugged.

The story overall is even more mundane than OG, and Dalton's guilt for killing a man is dumb as the killing itself.

All the stuff with the girl at the bookstore is uninteresting, and the love story unbelievable as fuck (apart from he is good looking and she saw him).
His pseudo suicide attempt at the very beginning is also extremely lame and shows today's writer don't know how to make a story go forward naturally.

The last 20 minutes where he goes on a rampage at the bad guy estate is weird, he has strong serial killer vibes, killing dudes without any emotion. I don't remember it being weird like that in the OG.

Surprisingly (or not considering what he showed during his MMA career) Mcgregor is not so bad as an actor, he seems like a kid in a candy store, having the fun of his life.
He has lines, a bunch of them, and can be somewhat convincing even with his stilted delivery. It obviously helps that the character he plays is just him on a coke bender but still nice performance.

Overall 4/10 (add 2 if you're into roided men bodies, because you'll see a lot. Talking about PEDs, it is obvious Conor was charged as fuck during the shooting, he's litteraly bursting at the seams)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Pleasantly surprised how fun it was. I agree, the critic score is wrong. I think too many people are going to ignore or have bias simply because its a remake which is a shame.

The fight scenes steal the show. There is some really good impact to the punches and the camera doesn't pan away. Leaps and bounds better than throwing people over tables and kick/pushes.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As much as Road House 2 did.

Watched it in 2 sessions with copious amount of legal and illegal drugs in the system.
It was lame overall.
I love Gyllenhall as an actor, but his "aloof hero who's weird and cool at the same time" starts to get old.

Not a lot happening really for a two hours movie.

There's a few thrilling "revenge via proxy" scenes, like in Amazon's Reacher, where he fucks up unsavory characters the way you wish you could last time you got mugged.

The story overall is even more mundane than OG, and Dalton's guilt for killing a man is dumb as the killing itself.

All the stuff with the girl at the bookstore is uninteresting, and the love story unbelievable as fuck (apart from he is good looking and she saw him).
His pseudo suicide attempt at the very beginning is also extremely lame and shows today's writer don't know how to make a story go forward naturally.

The last 20 minutes where he goes on a rampage at the bad guy estate is weird, he has strong serial killer vibes, killing dudes without any emotion. I don't remember it being weird like that in the OG.

Surprisingly (or not considering what he showed during his MMA career) Mcgregor is not so bad as an actor, he seems like a kid in a candy store, having the fun of his life.
He has lines, a bunch of them, and can be somewhat convincing even with his stilted delivery. It obviously helps that the character he plays is just him on a coke bender but still nice performance.

Overall 4/10 (add 2 if you're into roided men bodies, because you'll see a lot. Talking about PEDs, it is obvious Conor was charged as fuck during the shooting, he's litteraly bursting at the seams)

In which context/light was this promoted? A serious remake for folks in their 40/50's? A hommage with a lot of room for deviation?

You know that the train scene, even super cliche, was meant to convey his lack of desire to live. Hence his aloof behaviour (which I found very fun to watch) because he doesn't care what happens to him; therefore his "serial killer" antics or whatever. At the end. I agree with the book store side fluff.

Ugh I'm to tired to analyze any further.

My first paragraph/question still stands for anyone that followed the build up till release; how was this promoted?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Did they do away with the Sam Elliot mentor figure? I feel like his death, and leaving him at the bar, was sufficient motivation for Dalton to go into rage mode in the OG, beyond the other crap the bad guys pulled.

Simple, understandable motivations are something easily lost these days when every writer wants to make an overly complex, layered character for the villain and the 'anti-hero' is now the default hero archtype.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can't believe some of you liked this. The dialogue and story was so clearly written by an early version of ChatGPT. Gyllenhaal has 0 cool guy charisma. His best roles are weird introvert, not charming Chad. What a dud.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I can't believe some of you liked this. The dialogue and story was so clearly written by an early version of ChatGPT. Gyllenhaal has 0 cool guy charisma. His best roles are weird introvert, not charming Chad. What a dud.

if only it was made by Tarkovsky eh

Did they do away with the Sam Elliot mentor figure? I feel like his death, and leaving him at the bar, was sufficient motivation for Dalton to go into rage mode in the OG, beyond the other crap the bad guys pulled.

Simple, understandable motivations are something easily lost these days when every writer wants to make an overly complex, layered character for the villain and the 'anti-hero' is now the default hero archtype.
There's no comparable figure to the Sam Elliott character here (and the movie really suffers for it).

StueyDuck

Some of you expected far too much from a straight to streaming, reboot/remake of an old classic.

There was no chance it was ever going to be as good as or better than the OG. For many reasons. It was still fun non the less and as I said earlier I really get the vibe the creatives behind the project didn't want this to replace the original like so many other modern reboots. It felt like it was made in good spirit and I can enjoy that and get behind the dumb schlock.

It's not great I certainly have nitpicks. Like the two weenies he's apparently training to be bouncers would get fucked up by like 90% of the people in real life. But like also who cares, just watch the dumb action and dumb story. Movies can just be fun sometimes 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Like the two weenies he's apparently training to be bouncers would get fucked up by like 90% of the people in real life.
The first guy and how they portrayed him, I agree. The second guy seemed deceptively good at fighting, and I've met deceptive skinnier guys before who were good at fighting. When anyone is ever in a fighting situation, the first thing a person should never do is judge the other person's fighting ability on body build alone. You simply don't know if the person across from you has technique but just never bulked.

StueyDuck

The first guy and how they portrayed him, I agree. The second guy seemed deceptively good at fighting, and I've met deceptive skinnier guys before who were good at fighting. When anyone is ever in a fighting situation, the first thing a person should never do is judge the other person's fighting ability on body build alone. You simply don't know if the person across from you has technique but just never bulked.
I disagree, size and strength usually trumps skill.

I don't mean a gym buff, many of those guys are just roids anyway so in a fight they are actually useless. But if you get a fat farmer dude who looks like a bowl of lard, he's almost always gonna smoke the skinny guy who has been trained.

Never discount the big guy

Toots

Gold Member
In which context/light was this promoted? A serious remake for folks in their 40/50's? A hommage with a lot of room for deviation?

You know that the train scene, even super cliche, was meant to convey his lack of desire to live. Hence his aloof behaviour (which I found very fun to watch) because he doesn't care what happens to him; therefore his "serial killer" antics or whatever. At the end. I agree with the book store side fluff.

Ugh I'm to tired to analyze any further.

My first paragraph/question still stands for anyone that followed the build up till release; how was this promoted?
I don't really know how it was marketed, i only heard about the movie a few weeks before it went out.
I suppose it was sold as a fun action flick with one of the biggest male actor nowdays and maybe the biggest mainstream MMA star ever. Which it more or less is.

I get your points, but as you said the train scene is super cliché and in my opinion shows the lack of originality of the screenwriter, which is a huge problem for me throughout the film.
I was harsh in my "review" (and even edited a few words because they were too much), and for what it is (straight to amazon movie with a big name in it) it is good, but really if i had pay to watch this in a theater i would not have been happy.

RaduN

Weak and boring movie tbh.

Jake looks and plays the part, but all others especially that carricature (and not in good way like, say Snatch for example) of a character retardedly written and even worse played by McGregr, are bottom of the barell.

3/10 and i'm being generous.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't really know how it was marketed, i only heard about the movie a few weeks before it went out.
I suppose it was sold as a fun action flick with one of the biggest male actor nowdays and maybe the biggest mainstream MMA star ever. Which it more or less is.

I get your points, but as you said the train scene is super cliché and in my opinion shows the lack of originality of the screenwriter, which is a huge problem for me throughout the film.
I was harsh in my "review" (and even edited a few words because they were too much), and for what it is (straight to amazon movie with a big name in it) it is good, but really if i had pay to watch this in a theater i would not have been happy.

Nah i get where you're coming from. But you must* admit that the partial hit was pretty impactful (no pun intended) in a visceral way. The gritty filter helped imo. But I digress.

I think the main differences in our respective experience is that firstly I wasn't concerned or bothered by the writing ie tropes and fluff. I just filtered that out.

Donnie Darko sits in my top whatever movies and hence like Jake. Besides that I watch MMA and Fighting content a lot so that made up for a lot.

I'd rented it for 5€ FWIW as I did afterwards for Southpaw. Again I get your points. Good response =)

*no must neccessary

Last edited:

GymWolf

I saw some clips and the mcgregor character is more comedic-goofy than serious, i was not expecting that from the trailer.

The tone seems all over the place tbh.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Weak and boring movie tbh.

Jake looks and plays the part, but all others especially that carricature (and not in good way like, say Snatch for example) of a character retardedly written and even worse played by McGregr, are bottom of the barell.

3/10 and i'm being generous.

LOL Conor played himself if he had a get out of jail cart for life. Amazing psychotic behavior. Loved it LOL

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I saw some clips and the mcgregor character is more comedic-goofy than serious, i was not expecting that from the trailer.

The tone seems all over the place tbh.

Smoke one and watch it just for laughs and some fight scenes. It's just a movie man.

The first biker fight was awesome. And that one guy that got slapped scared and became like a deserter was funny af

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Not sure what people were expecting from this. It is just a popcorn flick and it's perfectly fine as that.
Don't know why people are complaining about Conor. It was fun as hell! Best thing in the movie. It felt like a psychotic real life terminator.

Toots

Gold Member
Donnie Darko sits in my top whatever movies and hence like Jake.
Same !
I remember in highschool showing the movie to some girl i liked and she was like "so that's the shit you were raving on and on about?!". Made me understant that some stuff are genius for some and not for others !

You're right about our difference in expectations and i might have been too much of a critic when the movie never was presented as some kind of cinematic masterpiece but a good action flick. What's crazy is that i was quite high watching it and normally it makes you enjoy stuff more, not analyse them :messenger_grinning_sweat:

And that one guy that got slapped scared and became like a deserter was funny af
The relationship Dalton builds with that dude was one of the comical high point of the movie. Made me chuckle a good amount. Dude is always polite to everyone like he was raised by his strict granny :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Same !
I remember in highschool showing the movie to some girl i liked and she was like "so that's the shit you were raving on and on about?!". Made me understant that some stuff are genius for some and not for others !

You're right about our difference in expectations and i might have been too much of a critic when the movie never was presented as some kind of cinematic masterpiece but a good action flick. What's crazy is that i was quite high watching it and normally it makes you enjoy stuff more, not analyse them :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The relationship Dalton builds with that dude was one of the comical high point of the movie. Made me chuckle a good amount. Dude is always polite to everyone like he was raised by his strict granny :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Agreed!

I like you Toots 👊🏽

Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw all or some of your criticism is valid.

At this point, speaking for myself I hardly expect anything else than what we got. I'm also pretty well trained in filtering stuff out and focussing on that what  does interests me.

I dunno. Something like that.

I can sympathize with your Darko experience FWIW.

Eiknarf

Banned
Nah i get where you're coming from. But you must* admit that the partial hit was pretty impactful (no pun intended) in a visceral way. The gritty filter helped imo. But I digress.

I think the main differences in our respective experience is that firstly I wasn't concerned or bothered by the writing ie tropes and fluff. I just filtered that out.

Donnie Darko sits in my top whatever movies and hence like Jake. Besides that I watch MMA and Fighting content a lot so that made up for a lot.

I'd rented it for 5€ FWIW as I did afterwards for Southpaw. Again I get your points. Good response =)

*no must neccessary
Donnie Darko and Enemy. Those are my two fav Jake G flicks.

Top Bottom