• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Piccoro

Great news.

But why is Harmonix working closely with Sony and Microsoft to enable legacy peripherals on current gen consoles, but Capcom, Netherrealm, Arc System Works aren't even trying to make arcade sticks compatible with the new consoles?... :(

Journey

Banned
This is excellent news!!

Being able to use your old instruments is the smartest thing to do, no one want's to re-buy all that plastic if they already have it for 360/PS3. Hopefully they have an adapter from day one.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/harmonix-talks-rock-band-4-avoiding-another-plasti/1600-1156/

GB podcast up with some Harmonix staff talking about "the return of Rock Band, DLC and hardware backward compatibility, and the process of creating a crowd-funded game."
Great news.

But why is Harmonix working closely with Sony and Microsoft to enable legacy peripherals on current gen consoles, but Capcom, Netherrealm, Arc System Works aren't even trying to make arcade sticks compatible with the new consoles?... :(
Perhaps because Harmonix's success rides a lot more on that super passionate group who still have the gear. C, N & ASW aren't as eager / desperate.

Xis

That's right. Question, how was it integrated into RB3? Was the Green Day band animation and stylised menus still intact, or was it just folded into RB3's?

Nothing fancy, the songs are just treated like any other DLC song. There are a few career goals tied to them though.

AlStrong

s3ou1t.gif

Should have been first post!

Awesome that DLC tracks and exported songs will be supported!

Now I just need to know if the old instruments work as well (will they also require that chip that prevented the PS4 from e.g. supporting all the old racing wheels?)

Kinda surprising they won't do a PS360 version for this kind of game while we still get AAA cross-gen releases in fucking 2015.
Thumbs up.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So is PC fully ruled out or just not "what they're focusing on" yet? If they're self publishing I could see them being intrigued by the likes of SteamOS

Blablurn

I can see myself going back to be honest. Maybe just for the guitar part since most of my friends dont care about this anymore.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Excellent, I'll be there day 1.

My only slight worry is about my $400 of DLC and imports. I bought all my DLC from the US PS store, I'm worried there will be some issue with my EU PS4.

RDreamer

Hell yeah! I'm in for sure. I'm lucky I was a PS3 fanboy last gen. All my rock band stuff is there. Tons of dlc. I also now have a way better space to play and no neighbors to bother!

Q: Will my old DLC work if I bought a different next gen console, i.e. Xbox 360 -> PS4?
A: Cross platform DLC compatibility is not entirely within our control, as DLC ownership is managed by the 1st parties.

And here is my worry, I got all my rockband stuff for my 360 and now I have a PS4. I would understand if the peripherals don't work, (and thank you based anyone who could make that happen), but if all my DLC AND my instruments can't go to my PS4 then I'll have to sadly sit this one out.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'd pay MS 60 bucks if they let me bring my DLC to PS4 ;_;

Zomba13

Awwwwww yeah.

Kinda sucks that it's only 360 >Xbone or PS3> PS4 but I guess it gives my xbone another use :D

Ingeniero

Will my old Guitar Hero instruments work on this?
They worked for Rock Band in my X360.

If they work, I will buy this.
02Do2Ff.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this

Q: Will my old hardware work?
A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

doesn't sound like old hardware will work, just that they hope it will. I hope so too.

and this
Q: Will my old DLC work if I bought a different next gen console, i.e. Xbox 360 -> PS4?
A: Cross platform DLC compatibility is not entirely within our control, as DLC ownership is managed by the 1st parties.
is quite a non-answer. I get that they might not have the rights to do so, but they could say 'we are still looking into it', or 'some of your stuff might transfer', or even 'no, sorry - labels are cocks'. But this just says nothing.

Shame about keyboards, I still have my keyboard and enjoyed that mode a lot - basic, not pro.

I hope they have a 'no kick' option for drums too, so I can my kids can play drums without problems.

ElNino

I still have the ORIGINAL wired RB1 band kit, and it all still works flawlessly. Yes even the drums.
I still have my RB1 drums with the Goodwood drum pads, so it will be great to use it again (although I was always more of a guitar player).

As for backwards compatibility with the peripherals... I REALLY hope I will be able to use my wooden Fender Strat replica and/or my Logitech premium Guitar Hero controllers. Both are significantly higher quality (the Fender is real guitar body with RB controls) than any of the plastic models so I'd love to use them again.

And here is my worry, I got all my rockband stuff for my 360 and now I have a PS4. I would understand if the peripherals don't work, (and thank you based anyone who could make that happen), but if all my DLC AND my instruments can't go to my PS4 then I'll have to sadly sit this one out.

That was their way of saying "Please dont ask us for this cus why would Sony and MS allow this?" Why would Sony and MS willing give you a reason to switch consoles? I just don't see it happening, like, ever. I hope you dont sit it out though, maybe set up a RB fund, put in a dollar a day and save up till you have enough to afford a RB machine lol

Same boat, but I'll probably be a sucker and buy a load of it again anyway :/

I'm completely bummed out about this, I love Rock Band to pieces but having switched platforms, the idea that I have to either waste hundreds of pounds to start my collection afresh or buy another console is so God Damn disappointing. I wish HMX had been more open about going back to the franchise, I would have factored that into what console I'd have purchased.

I wonder how the game will change. I could think of e.g. offering a F2P client like Singstar and having subs that allow the streaming of all the available DLC during that time. Plus the social stuff being integrated better in the new consoles.

Oh and how about Morpheus support to let you really BE the guitarist etc. to have more fun when playing that game alone/online :D

Nice. Would be great if we could import 360 -> PS4 as well.

This is my #1 hope. I used my 360 as my rock band machine towards the end of its life and I have a lot of DLC purchased, but I'm not planning on getting an Xbone. Really hoping they find a way to bring over at least a portion of the dlc to ps4.

Kyolux

Got rid of my RB1 instruments when I moved a few years ago.

I kind of missed playing Rock Band, but I don't think I want all that plastic lying around my living room again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

on PS360, were the wireless instruments platform neutral? Eg if you had a PS3 guitar could you pair it with the 360 wireless receiver dongle?

If so you'd be able to just buy the PS3 dongle to move your 360 instruments across to PS4.

I'm completely bummed out about this, I love Rock Band to pieces but having switched platforms, the idea that I have to either waste hundreds of pounds to start my collection afresh or buy another console is so God Damn disappointing. I wish HMX had been more open about going back to the franchise, I would have factored that into what console I'd have purchased.

They kinda were, I mean they pretty much said last PAX East it was gonna happen and before hand they were saying RB will return when the time is right. I think most fans expected it sooner than later.

Top Bottom