• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

zulux21

I was wondering why they don't just delay RB4 so they can add some of these planned features. Online is a pretty big one and there's obviously a demand for it, and with the rumors of practice mode being cut, this could be pretty barebones at launch. They seem to have a nice roadmap of updates planned so the extra development time gained from delaying would help. Plus, the release date doesn't seem set in stone.

if they delay it they can't get money to start coming in to afford to put these features in.

adding online support for a game like this isn't remotely cheap, and if the game doesn't get proper support from the start there might not be enough money coming in to afford to add online without losing money. They need a steady stream of revenue in order to be able to continue to add features and what not.

You have to remember they aren't being backed by someone like EA this time, it's just them and madcatz against the world this time. They can't afford to put in expensive features just because a small percent of their user base wants them. They need to make the best game that can please the most fans possible for the budget they have and hope it takes off well enough to add more expensive lesser wanted features later.

Anyone know how old instruments are supported? I have wireless guitars, USB mics, and a USB ION drum kit for Xbox 360. Will USB devices, like my ION, work?

I can't really say they're cutting corners when they're re-certing and upgrading every single official song for free, even the ones they can never sell again due to licenses expiring or the band not allowing digital store sales (AC/DC)
Didn't they release their material on iTunes a few years ago? (Didn't know if you were talking about digital sales in general or just RB tracks.)

zulux21

Anyone know how old instruments are supported? I have wireless guitars, USB mics, and a USB ION drum kit for Xbox 360. Will USB devices, like my ION, work?

the wireless instruments are confirmed for both systems though xbox uses will have to buy an adapter to get them working.

the usb stuff is still not confirmed though usb mics should work no problem.

the wireless instruments are confirmed for both systems though xbox uses will have to buy an adapter to get them working.

the usb stuff is still not confirmed though usb mics should work no problem.

Good for the wireless stuff, needing an adapter sucks since I'm on Xbox, but if it's not rare or expensive that'll be OK. If I can't use my IONs I'm sitting this one out.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'm sure they have alot of data backing up that online play wasn't used... I played hundred of hours of Rockband and whenever I tried to go online it would search forever.

I'm sure there were ppl that used it but when it's a small fraction of folks then it's really not cost effective in the beginning.

As long as it has leader boards.

Remark

Banned
I'm sure they have alot of data backing up that online play wasn't used... I played hundred of hours of Rockband and whenever I tried to go online it would search forever.

I'm sure there were ppl that used it but when it's a small fraction of folks then it's really not cost effective in the beginning.

As long as it has leader boards.
You have to keep in mind the difference in time between the last Rock Band release to now.

A lot of the fanbase who grew up with the series is now in different places and relies on online more-so and not able to do couch co-op like they could back in 2010. Online Play for this type of game is a lot bigger than it was back then when Rock Band first emerged around the time Online Play wasn't really there yet.

Raistlin

I read on a Q and A that the midi kit will not be supported at launch. They are an indie studio and don't have the resources at this time for everything and this would have to wait until after launch.

Very, very, very, disappointing.

Yeah. Seems like they're targeting filthy casuals and are forgetting about the whales who kept them above water during their later years.

Wow, that's a pretty shit move. Pretty much a slap in the face.

If they are able to get USB drivers working for last gen guitars, etc., I don't see how this should be difficult? The drivers are the long pole in terms of new development. Porting existing code for the unpacked MIDI should be pretty trivial. The code base is there.

FyreWulff

Wow, that's a pretty shit move. Pretty much a slap in the face.

If they are able to get USB drivers working for last gen guitars, etc., I don't see how this should be difficult? The drivers are the long pole in terms of new development. Porting existing code for the unpacked MIDI should be pretty trivial. The code base is there.

They haven't gotten any USB instruments working. It's specifically wireless only at the moment. And that's due to MS/Sony's paranoia about USB devices working on their newest consoles

Didn't they release their material on iTunes a few years ago? (Didn't know if you were talking about digital sales in general or just RB tracks.)

They did, yeah, and I asked them soon after, and they said the new edict didn't apply to them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They haven't gotten any USB instruments working. It's specifically wireless only at the moment. And that's due to MS/Sony's paranoia about USB devices working on their newest consoles
Not that I know anything about anything, but why is some Naughty Dog developer able to write a USB driver for fightsticks in his spare time but not Harmonix? The MIDI thing seems like probably something that is essential, especially if they are trying to bring back old players.

chunk3rvd

They did, yeah, and I asked them soon after, and they said the new edict didn't apply to them.

Will the old wireless GH guitars not work on PS4? They used a USB dongle

Edit: Just checked Amazon UK for pre-order prices and it looks like this thing is being sent to die. £110 for the guitar bundle while the GH:Live bundle is £85. The casual users will be all over GH with its brand recognition and much cheaper price of entry

FyreWulff

Not that I know anything about anything, but why is some Naughty Dog developer able to write a USB driver for fightsticks in his spare time but not Harmonix? The MIDI thing seems like probably something that is essential, especially if they are trying to bring back old players.

Who knows if Sony only allowed it to happen with fightsticks so far. I think they'd also want a solution that also works on the Xbox One.

Maybe they're seeing if they'll be able to patch in support for the old ones, or if they'll have to just make new MIDIPros for the One and the PS4 that communicate with the console wirelessly.

I hope there will be soon news that USB instruments (RB1 drums) will work as well...

Otherwise I will have the problem that I can't play as a full band and as the new drums are not sold separately... :(

ElNino

I hope there will be soon news that USB instruments (RB1 drums) will work as well...

Otherwise I will have the problem that I can't play as a full band and as the new drums are not sold separately... :(
I went ahead and pre-ordered the full bundle since it was 20% off and I don't know if my RB1 drums will be supported at launch (or at all).

I have GoodWood Mods Stealth drum heads on my RB1 set and I wonder if I'd be able to swap them onto the RB4 set?

MajorMane

I went ahead and pre-ordered the full bundle since it was 20% off and I don't know if my RB1 drums will be supported at launch (or at all).

I have GoodWood Mods Stealth drum heads on my RB1 set and I wonder if I'd be able to swap them onto the RB4 set?

Odds are, you probably will be able to. We haven't seen under the hood of the new RB4 drums, but I don't think they'll be that different from their previous iterations. It'll void any warranty that you may have on the drums for sure, though.

ElNino

Odds are, you probably will be able to. We haven't seen under the hood of the new RB4 drums, but I don't think they'll be that different from their previous iterations. It'll void any warranty that you may have on the drums for sure, though.
Hopefully it will be similar, but I'll give the new set a shot first to see how I (and my wife) like them.

No concerns on the warranty, I don't usually do mods unless I'm fully prepared to eat the cost if something goes wrong.

MajorMane

Will you need anything to get wireless guitars to work? A hub or anything?

Xbox One will have some sort of hub for it, but as far as I know, Playstation 4 will not.

Hopefully it will be similar, but I'll give the new set a shot first to see how I (and my wife) like them.

No concerns on the warranty, I don't usually do mods unless I'm fully prepared to eat the cost if something goes wrong.

I'm hoping the new drums are good quality! I've gone through at least 4 drums throughout the years (thank god for friends selling off their Rock Band gear for cheap) and the GoodWood mods are something I always meant to try out but never got around to it.

As far as I know, the mods are just the pads with another wire that you replace the kit's regular pads with, right? I can't imagine that they'd change that much of the drums' inner workings.

Azzawon

At this point I'm probably going to pick up the guitar and game bundle and sell the boxed game to a friend because I really want it digital. I'll get plenty of my songs ported over at launch, too.

I know it's easy to point the finger at Harmonix for some omissions, but you have to remember they don't have the financial backing they once did at the height of rhythm game popularity. Like they've already said, RB4 will be a platform that will evolve over time - so if something isn't there at launch that probably should be, chances are it'll appear somewhere down the line.

I'm fine with them adding features like online and practice mode later... But it's going to put a huge damper on my enjoyment of the game if they ship without Midi Adapter support.

Also, really hope they end up allowing RB3 export. Too many great songs in that list.

zip stick

and the GoodWood mods are something I always meant to try out but never got around to it.

As far as I know, the mods are just the pads with another wire that you replace the kit's regular pads with, right? I can't imagine that they'd change that much of the drums' inner workings.

Yeah they were good, had this setup before getting the IONs. The goodwoods did last a lot longer than the standard pads and had nice feedback. Worthy upgrade.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
Though if they can make any other USB instruments work, I don't see why the Ions wouldn't also work. I have confidence it will happen.

At this point I'm probably going to pick up the guitar and game bundle and sell the boxed game to a friend because I really want it digital. I'll get plenty of my songs ported over at launch, too.

I know it's easy to point the finger at Harmonix for some omissions, but you have to remember they don't have the financial backing they once did at the height of rhythm game popularity. Like they've already said, RB4 will be a platform that will evolve over time - so if something isn't there at launch that probably should be, chances are it'll appear somewhere down the line.

I guess that's the thing, we don't really know how successful this will be and Harmonix doesn't have a ton of cash to keep things afloat if Rock Band 4 doesn't perform as expected. So it's entirely possible this whole thing will die on the vine before the features people want make it into the game. All we can really judge is the feature set Harmonix is promising at release, and I don't know how safe it would be to buy something based on a feature like MIDI/e-drum support that may never come, even if Harmonix wants to do it eventually.

I've actually been reconsidering myself if I want even the standalone disc at launch, considering the artists and tracks revealed so far do very little for me. To be fair, there aren't many tracks yet, but I think right now the list of existing songs that WON'T carry over to RB4 because of licensing issues is at least 10x the size of the list of new songs I'm interested in (dear lord, you guys lost PRETTY GIRLS MAKE GRAVES? how? why? what?).

Raistlin

The non-pro (ie. basic) wireless instruments for Rock Band 3 use the same interface as the prior versions. It was an RF USB dongle. At least that's the case for PS3. It is a USB device. Just like a wireless USB mouse / keyboard.

So if those work, as is claimed by Harmonix, my question stands.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They haven't gotten any USB instruments working. It's specifically wireless only at the moment. And that's due to MS/Sony's paranoia about USB devices working on their newest consoles.
All the PS3 instruments required an USB dongle.

ElNino

I'm hoping the new drums are good quality! I've gone through at least 4 drums throughout the years (thank god for friends selling off their Rock Band gear for cheap) and the GoodWood mods are something I always meant to try out but never got around to it.

Yeah, my RB1 set wasn't working too well (lots of double or missed hits) so I went guitar only for a while. I figured it was either buy a new (RB2) set or get the GoodWoods which were a similar price I think (probably a bit more with shipping). I'm not a great drummer, but they are certainly a lot quieter with much better rebound.

It's been a while since I installed them, but I believe it was just a matter of taking the original pads off, switching the connector, adding some foam and putting the GoodWoods on.

vg260

Wait ? Is this confirmed... this is kinda huge for me .
Did you try it yourself ? or do you have the source for this info ...I MUST KNOW

I saw it confimed by a Harmonix dev (Pope?) in an E3 video interview.
Old PS3 instrument dongles work, and there will be a standalone XOne dongle.

This is not in the interview, but I'm speculating that instruments would only be recognized once you're in-game due to Sony locking out old USB controllers on the system level and having to be sandboxed-in game. This is how the PS3 fightstick controllers work in fighters using the LabZero driver. So you will probably still need a DS4 for navigating and/or possibly pairing to a profle depending on how they set it up.

pacman85

So anyone know the next time we will get RB4 news? Are there any other conferences coming up that we know Harmonix will have a presence at and will be revealing new stuff? Like more songs maybe?

zulux21

So anyone know the next time we will get RB4 news? Are there any other conferences coming up that we know Harmonix will have a presence at and will be revealing new stuff? Like more songs maybe?

I would imagine gamescom would be a good guess for new info.

pacman85

Is just the game available for preorder yet, with the 30 song preorder bonus or is that just bundle related?
Just the 2 bundles.....impatiently awaiting a game pre-order. Best case scenario it's a digital version of the game from Amazon so I can get the 30 song + 4 Amazon exclusive song pre-order bonus.

Gorger

gamescom is a long time from now. We should have more to say before then. :)

Many of us are eagerly waiting for more information about what you will do with online mode after launch. If it's something you have plans to add on later and how long it's going to take. Just some sort of confirmation that it's not lost forever would put many of us at ease. My bundle pack is literally just waiting for online confirmation before I press the pre-order button.

Here's what I need:

A bundle with the game and however many dongles I need to hook up 2 guitars and a set of drums for Xbox. (Have USB mikes)

(Will a single dongle support 3 instruments?)

I'm sure that's what most people with X360 instruments are waiting for.

Bladelaw

Pre-ordered the guitar bundle (also have the Penny Arcade Strat pre-purchased). I know I'll be happy with the game (still regularly rock out) and my old hardware is starting to deteriorate. I'm hoping I can get a set of drums separately as the full band bundle was a bit over my price threshold.

I'm curious how all the DLC will work. Old discs (RB1, 2, and 3)? LEGO/Green Day? Rock Band Blitz? Rock Band Network? I'm just flat out assuming Beatles is off the table.

I have songs from all of the above and it'd be awesome to get all that content right from the get go.

MajorMane

I'm curious how all the DLC will work. Old discs (RB1, 2, and 3)? LEGO/Green Day? Rock Band Blitz? Rock Band Network? I'm just flat out assuming Beatles is off the table.

I have songs from all of the above and it'd be awesome to get all that content right from the get go.

RB1, RB2, LEGO, Green Day, and Blitz should all transfer over with no problems (assuming you've already done the export to RB3) because the songs are recognized as DLC more or less.

RB3 has no export right now and is sort of in limbo. They've said they had no plans to do an export right now, but with enough support, they would probably do it. Their latest stance has been, "Stay tuned for more information."

Rock Band Network is up in the air right now. Don't get your hopes up.

Sadly, Beatles is more or less never going to happen, probably.

Top Bottom