• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

I wish they'd stuck with doing the export RB1 style. I mean, I can see why they didn't but that one I'd still available to download and export. The rest, on the other hand...

repeater

Sorry if this has been discussed to death before, but I have some questions about how instrument compatibility will work.

I have the following instruments for my 360:
- Wired RB1 drum set
- Wired RB1 guitar
- Wired RB1 mic
- Wired Guitar Hero 2 guitar

First question: are wired instruments confirmed to work? I've seen in the thread that there's talk about some kind of adapter?
Second question: are Guitar Hero instruments confirmed to work? I much prefer the GH2 guitar to the RB1 one.

I'm seriously considering picking up an Xbox One for this game (since all my DLC and previous RB disc songs would carry forward), but this all presupposes that my old instruments would be usable on the new system..

FyreWulff

Only the mics are confirmed supported at this point for wired (since they're generic USB mics)

The plan is to have GH guitars work. They even mentioned if they can find a way, they'll support the GH Live guitar too.

Sethista

SOmething I havent seen anywhere, are we going to need to have the 360 to export the dlc to xbox one, for instance? Or will it be all gamertag and accont related?

I need to know if I can sell my 360 already.

FyreWulff

SOmething I havent seen anywhere, are we going to need to have the 360 to export the dlc to xbox one, for instance? Or will it be all gamertag and accont related?

I need to know if I can sell my 360 already.

Only your account is needed. It's already confirmed the RB1 key will become a digital download on PS4/One containing the RB1 tracks.

This is why it's a good idea for people to buy the RB1 export for 5$ now, even if they don't have a PS3 or 360:

RB1's songs

Sethista

I already exported RB1 to RB3, I have all RB games that could be exported already exported to RB3, and over 500 dlc songs. How will I be able to bring all that to XBOX one and RB 4?

j-wood

Just pre ordered the full band version from Best Buy.

Gamers club unlocked is SO GOOD. Got $50 bucks knocked off, so I got it for $199

Yaari

Wish they did song reveals differently. This has been really boring so far. They should've done a few per week so there's always something.

Bauer91

Only your account is needed. It's already confirmed the RB1 key will become a digital download on PS4/One containing the RB1 tracks.

This is why it's a good idea for people to buy the RB1 export for 5$ now, even if they don't have a PS3 or 360:

RB1's songs

Hopefully they'll give us a warning before it expires if that's bound to happen...

Scapegoat

And will there be a new export key for rb 3 songs?
Not at this stage, though they say they are fielding player's interest in such a venture.

I just watched the detailed run-through of the freestyle solo system on Gamespot and I must say I'm deeply intrigued.... it really looks like a good mix between feeling of control and making something cool sounding come out.

It would be cool if one could indicate on a per song basis whether they wanted to do a freestyle solo or just the charted solo, rather than hiding in a sub menu like drum-fills in RB3. Edit: confirmed in HMX's livestream!

FyreWulff

Hopefully they'll give us a warning before it expires if that's bound to happen...

Last time we had about two weeks for Green Day's expiration? DLC songs tend to get a month.

Basically, there's no reason to hold off on buying the RB1 export. If you want it, get it now. It's price has never dropped in the 7 years it's been available.

weevles

Ok, I'm lost as to how the stuff on screen translates to notes on the controller. I see the strings called out, but how does that guy know which notes are being played or is he just "faking" it?

Scapegoat

Ok, I'm lost as to how the stuff on screen translates to notes on the controller. I see the strings called out, but how does that guy know which notes are being played or is he just "faking" it?
The chart indicates the type of notes to play (either high or low fret) and the action (freestyle, tapping, sustain). The actual buttons/number of buttons/rate of strumming is decided by the player and is reflected in the audio output. That is how I interpreted it.

weevles

The chart indicates the type of notes to play (either high or low fret) and the action (freestyle, tapping, sustain). The actual buttons/number of buttons/rate of strumming is decided by the player and is reflected in the audio output. That is how I interpreted it.

Ok, that's kind of what I was getting out of it too. I guess Rocksmith is still the best in terms of a "game" that's oriented to folks who actually mean to learn to play guitar then. Ah wells...

Scapegoat

Ok, that's kind of what I was getting out of it too. I guess Rocksmith is still the best in terms of a "game" that's oriented to folks who actually mean to learn to play guitar then. Ah wells...
Most definitely lol.

I'm excited to play this because it (appears to) give players a great sense of control and agency, but without a huge learning curve period before it sounds any good (i.e. it takes quite a while to become competent on hard/expert and to play traditional solos without missing too many notes. This "issue" is 100x worse when moving to a real instrument!)

repeater

As far as I know, nothing wired is supported atm, though the plan is to get it there (including GH instruments).

Only the mics are confirmed supported at this point for wired (since they're generic USB mics)

The plan is to have GH guitars work. They even mentioned if they can find a way, they'll support the GH Live guitar too.
Thanks guys for the answers, though that makes me nervous. :p How confident are we that wired instruments will be in, in the end? There's got to be A LOT of people out there who are in my situation: they bought the RB1 band bundle and never upgraded to any wireless instruments.

If there is no support for wired instruments, that leaves me in quite a pickle. Then I will have to buy the new band bundle, which means that I will have to either (1) buy both an Xbox One (to get DLC compatibility) and a band bundle - shit's not gonna be cheap, or (2) get the band bundle for my PS4, which means that my Rock Band library will be spread out over two consoles (360 & PS4). Both options sound so unpalatable that they would make me consider not getting the game in any shape or form. :/

As a side note, the most recent Harmonix show that I was trying to watch (since I missed it earlier today) had a 10 minute segment muted due to the audo-censor-rights-bot.

Edit: It was Elvis.

Man, I can see this becoming a headache REALLY fast for streamers...

Bauer91

Last time we had about two weeks for Green Day's expiration? DLC songs tend to get a month.

Basically, there's no reason to hold off on buying the RB1 export. If you want it, get it now. It's price has never dropped in the 7 years it's been available.

That's good then. Missing out on one of the most fun guitar charts, Green Grass and High Tides, would suck... So impossible to Gold Star in RB3 because of the long solos though.

Enthus

For exports, I will probably need a new copy of the games, right? I'm switching from 360 to PS4 for RB4, so I'm going to need copies of RB1/2/Lego.

pacman85

Anybody watching the new stream?

http://www.twitch.tv/harmonixmusic
Yeah, the only news I got out of the stream was when someone on the chat asked if all back catalog DLC will have the freestyle mode for guitar solos and they didn't immediately respond with a yes but said something to the affect of "at least 50 songs" which I assume was how many back catalog DLC songs they had in the build of RB4 they were playing. So, I guess this kinda confirmation that not ALL songs will have the freestyle solo mode.

I didn't know where else to ask this so...

I just downloaded the RB2 export pack, does that mean all the RB2 tracks are going to be ready to play in RB4?

I didn't know where else to ask this so...

I just downloaded the RB2 export pack, does that mean all the RB2 tracks are going to be ready to play in RB4?

If you also downloaded the "Rock Band Free" pack that contains all of the Rock Band 2 HMX tracks, then you'll have everything but Battery, Any Way You Want It, Let There Be Rock, Give It Away, and Spoonman. The latter two are in the music store as DLC tracks anyway.

Tijmen

Back in the day I game shared with a friend of mine on PlayStation 3 and we ended up buying a lot of Rock Band DLC tracks on his account that I could play on my PSN profile. It's kind of a rhetorical question, but I'm assuming I won't be able to redownload his songs on PS4, right? There go 150+ DLC tracks which I paid 50% for back in the day...

zulux21

Back in the day I game shared with a friend of mine on PlayStation 3 and we ended up buying a lot of Rock Band DLC tracks on his account that I could play on my PSN profile. It's kind of a rhetorical question, but I'm assuming I won't be able to redownload his songs on PS4, right? There go 150+ DLC tracks which I paid 50% for back in the day...

the ps4 allows game sharing across two ps4.

an account can be set as a primary on one system and anyone logged into that system can use their stuff, or if it's not a primary you can be logged into that account and use the stuff.

if you have a friend you share with the best way to continue sharing in the new generation is to make each other's systems the primary for your account (aka you are his primary and his yours) then you just log into your own account like normal.

Tijmen

the ps4 allows game sharing across two ps4.

an account can be set as a primary on one system and anyone logged into that system can use their stuff, or if it's not a primary you can be logged into that account and use the stuff.

if you have a friend you share with the best way to continue sharing in the new generation is to make each other's systems the primary for your account (aka you are his primary and his yours) then you just log into your own account like normal.

Thank you so much for the quick and adequate reply! Haven't spoken to the man in over four years so I won't get my hopes up high though. So if I make my account secondary on my PS4, does that mean only I will be able to play my digital purchases on my account?

Oh, and I'm assuming my ION Drum Rocker will still work with the game on PS4, right?

zulux21

Thank you so much for the quick and adequate reply! Haven't spoken to the man in over four years so I won't get my hopes up high though. So if I make my account secondary on my PS4, does that mean only I will be able to play my digital purchases on my account?

Oh, and I'm assuming my ION Drum Rocker will still work with the game on PS4, right?

you will have to be logged into your account to play anything your account owns on your ps4 unless it's the primary one.

with instruments only wireless instruments are confirmed, if the ion drum rocker is wired up to this point it isn't confirmed.

If you also downloaded the "Rock Band Free" pack that contains all of the Rock Band 2 HMX tracks, then you'll have everything but Battery, Any Way You Want It, Let There Be Rock, Give It Away, and Spoonman. The latter two are in the music store as DLC tracks anyway.

Thanks for the info!

Do you know if RB3 stuff will transfer to 4?

Top Bottom