• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Played I. Ron Butterfly. An oddity for sure. Fuck that hellish guitar solo coming out of the drum solo; that hurt.

Oh, obligatory:

dazed-and-confused-slater-you-couldnt-handle-that-shit-on-strong-acid-man.jpg

Here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions of this week's DLC track:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly - [Guitar: Tier 5 | Bass: Tier 5 | Drums: Final Tier | Vocals: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 525,009 | 100% Notes Hit (2424/2424) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 431,251 | 100% Notes Hit (2197/2197) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: It's a song from the 60's that was recorded in one take, that's right, it has no master recordings or stems at all! Sorry stem enthusiasts.

DLC Impressions: Guitar is pretty rad. You've got 3 badass solos, a fun main riff, and even some organ flourishes, sure there's a bit of dead space but there's so much variety during the running course of the song that it shouldn't bother you too much. Bass is great too. A bouncy main riff and a groovy as fuck alt strum section that has you bouncing between double orange frets and back to 3 note hammer-ons back and forth. Overall a fantastic song and well worth a purchase in my opinion. Get it.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Bass is great too. A bouncy main riff and a groovy as fuck alt strum section that has you bouncing between double orange frets and back to 3 note hammer-ons back and forth.

That bass riff toward the end is fun as hell to play. Good write-up!

If anyone is looking for a PS4 crew, Phantom Limb Anger has openings.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Drums on I. Ron Butterfly are cool
even on medium; I suck, I know
. Though I cannot imagine how smashed you'd be after expert.

Tapejara

Didn't see it mentioned here, but a bunch delisted tracks are now available on the NA PSN if you already owned them. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/new-this-week/cid=STORE-MSF77008-NEWTHISWEEK||price~asc

Crash Kings
  • Mountain Man

Night Ranger
  • Don't Tell Me You Love Me
  • (You Can Still) Rock in America
  • You're Gonna Hear it From Me

REO Speedwagon
  • Ridin the Storm Out
  • Roll with the Changes
  • Take It On The Run

Styx
  • Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
  • Renegade
  • Too Much Time on My Hands

Styx/REO Speedwagon
  • Can't Stop Rockin'

The Veer Union
  • Seasons

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:
  • A Woman In Love (Live)
  • Breakdown (Live)
  • Century City (Live)
  • Jammin' Me (Live)
  • Nightwatchman (Live)
  • The Waiting (Live)

We Are The Fallen
  • Bury Me Alive

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the SP info, Fyre. As my Crew sits at 99/99, I decided to screw around with bass warmup songs--songs I can FC or Gold easily--and I went from 830 to 850 today. Can't wait to get that trophy so I don't have to pay attention to that shit anymore.

MrNelson

Banned
Didn't see it mentioned here, but a bunch delisted tracks are now available on the NA PSN if you already owned them. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/new-this-week/cid=STORE-MSF77008-NEWTHISWEEK||price~asc

Crash Kings
  • Mountain Man

Night Ranger
  • Don't Tell Me You Love Me
  • (You Can Still) Rock in America
  • You're Gonna Hear it From Me

REO Speedwagon
  • Ridin the Storm Out
  • Roll with the Changes
  • Take It On The Run

Styx
  • Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
  • Renegade
  • Too Much Time on My Hands

Styx/REO Speedwagon
  • Can't Stop Rockin'

The Veer Union
  • Seasons

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:
  • A Woman In Love (Live)
  • Breakdown (Live)
  • Century City (Live)
  • Jammin' Me (Live)
  • Nightwatchman (Live)
  • The Waiting (Live)

We Are The Fallen
  • Bury Me Alive
FYI, some of those songs aren't actually delisted, but the packs they were in were. Off the top of my head, I know you can still buy Mountain Man, but if you owned the pack it was in prior to one of the songs within it being delisted, you can download it once again.

Maybe a weird place to put this, but PSN has the Rivals bundle on sale for 40% off ($35.99 CAD, dunno USD). But I do also have a question: do you still get the launch pack included if you buy the Rivals bundle, as opposed to the expansion separately (which unfortunately is not on sale because grrrrrr)?

Maybe a weird place to put this, but PSN has the Rivals bundle on sale for 40% off ($35.99 CAD, dunno USD). But I do also have a question: do you still get the launch pack included if you buy the Rivals bundle, as opposed to the expansion separately (which unfortunately is not on sale because grrrrrr)?

If you mean the Rivals launch pack, no, that pack was only a preorder bonus.

If you mean the Rivals launch pack, no, that pack was only a preorder bonus.

I did. It was still listed in the description on PSN, otherwise I probably would've assumed it was gone.

That's unfortunate, and kind of a kick in the pants to anyone who bought Rock Band 4 at launch/before Rivals came out. Ah well.

So, here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for today's charity single before the two big singles hit on thursday:

"She" - Legitimate Front - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 5 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 240,932 | 100% Notes Hit (1268/1268) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 201,528 | 100% Notes Hit (971/971) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: Well, good news. Every instrumental track is properly seperated. No muffling of other tracks or degradation in overall track quality when missing notes on your own instrument. So those of you with a penchant for master tracks can purchase this track without any qualms!

DLC Impressions: Song is an absolute blast on guitar. Tons of steadily alt-strummed strings of single notes and chords bouncing all over the place and two pretty varied solos towards the latter half of the song that mix things up with a bunch of single note hammer-on snaking all over the fretboard. The bass is much more laid-back and one of the most overtiered bass tracks in recent months but it's still fun to play. Tons of little hammer-on flourishes moving up and down the neck of the guitar and towards the end a bunch of hammer-on snaking much like the second solo on expert guitar. So yeah, a pretty good song overall and worth the 79p/$1 it's up on the store for currently. Go ahead and snag it!

And here's the re-cap for ALL of this week's DLC!

"She" - Legitimate Front - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 5 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 240,932 | 100% Notes Hit (1268/1268) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 201,528 | 100% Notes Hit (971/971) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Hold On" - Wilson Phillips - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 4 | Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 103,029 | 100% Notes Hit (498/498) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 103,823 | 100% Notes Hit (565/565) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Gold On the Ceiling" - The Black Keys - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 0 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 1]
Expert Guitar: 137,172 | 100% Notes Hit (886/886) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 103,257 | 100% Notes Hit (563/563) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: Well, good news. This week's charity track, "She" is properly seperated. No muffling of other tracks or degradation in overall track quality when missing notes on your own instrument. "Gold on the Ceiling" is an RBVR setlist song so that's got legitimate stems as well. "Hold On" sadly doesn't have legit stems but the DIY job is so fucking well done it took me towards the end of the song when the drums ramp up to notice. Missing notes doesn't affect the vocals track, guitar or bass though So those of you with a penchant for master tracks can 2 of 3 this week without concern. Though I'd still recommend "Hold On", best DIY stems in a long time.

DLC Impressions: "She" is an absolute blast on guitar. Tons of steadily alt-strummed strings of single notes and chords bouncing all over the place and two pretty varied solos towards the latter half of the song that mix things up with a bunch of single note hammer-on snaking all over the fretboard. The bass is much more laid-back and one of the most overtiered bass tracks in recent months but it's still fun to play. Tons of little hammer-on flourishes moving up and down the neck of the guitar and towards the end a bunch of hammer-on snaking much like the second solo on expert guitar. So yeah, a pretty good song overall and worth the 79p/$1 it's up on the store for currently. Go ahead and snag it!

"Gold On The Ceiling" is pretty fun on guitar, it never lets up with a lot of jaunty bouncing and double strumming between single notes and chords as well as 2 solos with a fair bit of hammer-on snaking from orange down to green to switch things up a bit. There's no downtime whatsoever and it deserves it's tier 3 difficulty rating. Bass is pretty decent for a tier 0 bassline, just a bunch of steadily strummed single notes with plenty of lane changes and hammer-on flourishes. So yeah, not a bad track overall and one of the better Black Keys songs available in the game!

"Hold On" is the highlight for me though. For a tier 2 the guitar ranks up there with "I Just Died In Your Arms" for pure enjoyment. Switching between keys and guitar there's a lot of steady chord gallops and a lot of zig-zagging up and down the fretboard between series of chords. I don't have anything bad to say at all about the guitar chart, and I'd recommend anyone to pick this song up. Bass is a blast too, lots of bouncy single note strumming with short bursts of 4-5 note hammer-on zig-zags that are always switching up throughout the course of the song. It's just a well balanced track overall, and it's easily up there as one of the most fun guitar/bass tracks we've had in years. Fucking get it!

pacman85

What a random pick for the Temper Trap song. Based on the preview video, it doesn't even look like a very fun song to me. Just repeated strumming over and over again. This song isn't even in their top 20 on iTunes and isn't from a new album or anything. Would have preferred Sweet Disposition. Oh well, nothing for me this week.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hit Plat. Looking for crew members for the Bloodstone push (this season or the next). I am 804 Guitar/876 Bass and normally contribute 1.5 million points on the spotlight songs and 30k experience on Rivals songs. If you are interested, let me know.

Need the damn 900 trophy for all Rivals... ugh.

Back from vacation so here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for this week's Rewind track and new track!

“Testify” - Rage Against The Machine - [Guitar: Tier 5 | Drums: Tier 4 | Bass: Tier 4 | Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 178,047 | 100% Notes Hit (1078/1078) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 101,123 | 100% Notes Hit (455/455) Full Combo | Gold Stars

“Alive” - The Temper Trap - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 5 | Bass: Tier 2 | Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 156,310 | 100% Notes Hit (1110/1110) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 225,987 | 100% Notes Hit (1184/1184) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Testify" is a bonafide RB2 setlist classic so you can be certain that it has properly seperated master tracks. No track bleeding or muffled audio when missing notes on any instrument. And with "Alive" being an RBVR setlist song the same can be said for that track as well. So for those of you who are really picky about stems this week is 2 for 2. Go get 'em!

DLC Impressions: Yo shit is lit this week! "Testify" is one of my favourite tracks from RB2 and for other people to be able to get it is a nice bonus. The tier 5 listing for guitar is either spot on or totally off depending on your skill level and for me it's the latter. The trickiest part is probably the bursts of off-beat single note alt-strumming dotted through the song. Lane changes are almost never consistent so it could throw a bunch of people off. It has a rad-ass guitar solo though, like most of the RATM songs. Bass is pretty sparse with a bunch of steady single note strumming with some hammer-ons. Sadly there's a bunch of dead space, but for what it is, it's okay. "Alive" really surprised me this week though. Never heard it before and it's a pretty catchy song. Both guitar and bass have fun bursts of alt-strumming throughout, changing lanes constantly. I swore that at times the guitar and bass was in sync with each other which is a bonus for me because I love that shit. The main difference is that the guitar track has a strum lane towards the end on the yellow fret and a chord section right towards the end. Overall I'd recommend you get both tracks!

Tapejara

I really like that Temper Trap song, too.

Just hit 888 skill level. The grind to 900 sucks.

I saw I was at 899 for guitar a week or two ago and the final stretch was frustrating. Kept having to be selective with my song choices just to get to 900. Now I can at least go back to being awful at devil-tiered songs.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I saw I was at 899 for guitar a week or two ago and the final stretch was frustrating. Kept having to be selective with my song choices just to get to 900. Now I can at least go back to being awful at devil-tiered songs.

Yeah, I can't wait to go back to being okay with screwing up.

Top Bottom