• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Ninhead

8_24_Twitter.png

:O

Here's this week's playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for both Garbage and Sugar Ray tracks:

”Stupid Girl" - Garbage - [Guitar: Tier 1 | Drums: Tier 2 | Vocals: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 70,877 | 100% Notes Hit (344/344) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 97,256| 100% Notes Hit (509/509) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”Every Morning" - Sugar Ray - [Guitar: Tier 1 | Drums: Tier 1 | Vocals: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 1]
Expert Guitar: 159,321 | 100% Notes Hit (499/499) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 76,160 | 100% Notes Hit (359/359) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations:
”Every Morning" seems to have legit stems, wasn't sure at first because missing notes on the guitar track revealed another guitar track underneath that, but the vocals and the instruments don't muffle or decrease in quality when missing notes so yeah, seems above board! ”Stupid Girl" on the other hand isn't. It's not a bad DIY job by any means but there's still a fair bit of noticeable audio loss when missing notes on your respective instruments. Although the vocals don't take too much of a hit. So that's only 1 out of 2 this week I'm afraid. The streak is over as we slowly return to Non-RBVR setlist DLC.

DLC Impressions: ”Stupid Girl" is a bit underwhelming on both guitar and bass to be honest. The guitar consists of a slow zig-zag riff at select parts with a bunch of single note and chord sustains inbetween, it never really changes things up at all. I'd say it doesn't even deserve the tier 1 rating on guitar! Bass is a bit better, but still pretty damn repetitive. It's just the same riff over and over moving back and forth around the fretboard between green and orange. So yeah, great song but when it comes to engaging guitar and bass charts this song falls short of the mark. ”Every Morning" on the other hand fares quite a bit better. The guitar is pretty fun for a tier 1 chart. It mainly consists of steadily strummed three note chords and single notes, having you constantly move up and back down the frets, there's even some relaxed hammer-on strings and some interesting chord hammer-on switches to spice things up! Bass is really pleasant for a low tier chart as well. Just a lot of steady movement between single frets with sustains thrown in to mix things up and section were things pick up a little with a constant stream of notes. Overall, ”Every Morning" is easily the best track but both tracks are welcome additions to the Rock Band DLC library.

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/900507969833644032

Double EXP for playing any song via Rockudrama or Go On Tour this week

The random element from both modes of being given a choice of songs at random will probably make getting EXP for challenge songs not worth it in the long run.

EDIT: Oh, it's all songs this week! Whoo!

MrNelson

Banned
I'm surprised Stupid Girl doesn't have stems.
As am I, but hopefully it doesn't sound too rough.

Maybe...

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

Harmonix is planning to put stemless songs in the season pass as a way to guarantee sales from the crowd that would normally pass on them.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Not that I think those people are a large enough group to have any significant impact on dlc sales.

MrNelson

Banned
Yeah, no way I'm buying that season pass with no guarantee of properly separated tracks.
Upside is you can wait until the end of the season to determine whether or not the pack would be worth it for you.

But that means you would have to skip on one of the spotlight songs each week for the whole season.

FyreWulff

Well we already have songs that 100% are known to have stems but became stemless in Rock Band, like Get Lucky, or had stems in Guitar Hero on last generation (I forgot which one this was)... so stemless is definitely due to label requests sometimes.

Sorry if this has been brought up, as this thread is huge, but what is the deal with the Rock Band Legacy Adapter on Xbox One basically disappearing off the face of the earth?

I had one in my Amazon wish list and it's gone and now super expensive wherever else I look for it.

I was hoping to get a digital RB4/Rivals deal and get the adapter later...now I might have to buy the adapter bundle? :(

FyreWulff

Sorry if this has been brought up, as this thread is huge, but what is the deal with the Rock Band Legacy Adapter on Xbox One basically disappearing off the face of the earth?

I had one in my Amazon wish list and it's gone and now super expensive wherever else I look for it.

I was hoping to get a digital RB4/Rivals deal and get the adapter later...now I might have to buy the adapter bundle? :(

Mad Catz no longer exists and PDP isn't making their own version of it. Whatever wireless adapters are out there are it. So yeah, your best option is to find the disc bundle.

Neverfade

Broke out the instruments and fired this up for the first time in a while. I'm getting stuck loading songs on my PS4 Pro. Multiple tracks are doing this. Is this a known issue?

Edit: I just noticed I can tell which songs are going to stick on load from the music library -- they don't load art or play a sample. They seem to be purchased songs but everything is showing installed.

Edit 2: Redownloading fixed the problem. Shocker.

FyreWulff

Looks like compared to GH World Tour, the bass part is mostly forced strums and has chords added to better simulate the bass part

probably has a BRE at the end too. i'm assuming the first breakdown is charted, then the second breakdown right at the end is the BRE.

Thank god it's the original version of "Stranglehold" and not the shit re-record GH:WT got with the vastly inferior vocals! I think it clocks in at half a minute shorter than the re-record as well. The last Catfish song "Cocoon" was fun so I'll pick up "Postpone" as well.

Wait GH Stranglehold was a re-record? That's not a good sign for this one having stems.
Given HMX's recent history it's likely to be stemless, but on the other hand it's not the first time that there would be original versions of the master available following a re-record on another game. Cult of Personality? In the Meantime? Sister Christian?

Wait GH Stranglehold was a re-record? That's not a good sign for this one having stems.

One of the few instances where I'd happily accept a stemless track in this case if it means not getting that version. The re-record is fucking awful. Songs like "No One Like You" on the RB4 setlist get flack for being a re-record but this one deserves the flack it gets. Vocals are awful and the overall quality of the guitar just feels...off compared to the original.

It would definitely feed into my
bullshit
theory that they're using the season pass to sell stemless songs to the group that would normally pass on them.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Just gives me even more of a reason to avoid the pass if after this week's track they keep putting stemless tracks in the season pass. So far your theory is holding true.

Gorger

I am holding my nose while adding Stranglehold to the library. Fuck Nugent. At least it's a part of the season pass and I already bought that.

The thought of giving Nugent money is bad, but Stranglehold is something I have wanted in these games for so long.
If it makes you feel any better, they get the bulk of their money in the licensing deal, not in the sales of the track. The actual sales are probably nothing, especially in this version of Rock Band.

Gleethor

I'm pumped that it does. Such a guitar heavy song would've sounded awful without stems

Edit: season pass still not working on ps4

Well, that's damn good to hear. Proof that Harmonix haven't given up on stems completely.

Of course, that raises questions why GH:WT had a different version in the first place, but whatever.

Now that both songs are finally up on the xbox marketplace I can give my stem confirmations, impressions and first playthrough scores!

"Stranglehold" - Ted Nugent - Guitar: Tier 5 | Bass: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 3
Expert Guitar: 361,797 | 100% Notes Hit (1360/1360) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 429,972 | 100% Notes Hit (1931/1931) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”Postpone" - Catfish & The Bottlemen -
Guitar: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 4
Expert Guitar: 179,000 | 100% Notes Hit (977/977) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 217,062 | 100% Notes Hit (1075/1075) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations:
As everyone before me has said, yup, Stranglehold is the original recording and it has masters! Kind of bewildering considering GH: World Tour got a re-record instead, but man what a turn up for the books! Postpone makes it two for two this week. No muffling of other tracks or lowering of overall track quality when missing notes on your own instrument. You stem enthusiasts out there can buy either this week without any reservations!

DLC Impressions: ”Stranglehold" is pretty outstanding on guitar. The main overlaying riff is a fun mix of gallops and chord changes and the solos are a blast to play with the hardest solo being the first surprisingly. Rock Band has charted all the entire scattered latter half the song as a solo so get ready for a huge bonus if you can 100% that! One of the best guitar charts in RB4 to date. Bass sadly is a bit more dull. There's a bass solo early on which is awesome but the main bass riff is repetitive as hell and for an 8 and a half minute song that's a damn shame. There's a bit of a change to the pattern towards the end but by then it's too little, too late. A shame. ”Postpone" on the other hand is just a great song all around for both instruments. The guitar chart has a ton of movement up and down the fretboard with a lot of 3 note hammer-on snakes dotted throughout and a lot of chordy sections. There's a fun solo that breaks up the pattern as well. Bass chart is great as well with a lot of steady single note strumming but with a ton of really fun steadly alt-strumming dotted about throughout as well. There's never a dull moment. Overall one of the best weeks we've had in a long while. I'd recommend getting both tracks!

FyreWulff

The only downside to Stranglehold (outside of Nugent himself) is that it doesn't support Freestyle Solos or Freestyle Vocals, even though it has Guitar Solos, so enabling that feature means you're still playing the charted solos and no Endless Freestyle is available, and you can't sing freestyle even though this song has Harmonies. This seems to be a thing going forward that Harmonix isn't going to chart the freestyle note chords for lengthy songs in new DLC. Inna Gada Da Vida didn't support any Freestyle either.

It's definitely not a tech issue as 2112 has all 3 of these features (and Free Bird, and Grapevine,etc), but that was also legacy DLC.

komarkaze

Can I get back into GAF B-Sides? I was inactive for a few weeks due to vacation and the end of season 1. Ready to get back in if there's still space.

Can I get back into GAF B-Sides? I was inactive for a few weeks due to vacation and the end of season 1. Ready to get back in if there's still space.

Get down on your knees and put that tongue to work and I may think about it......

Naw just kidding, sure! Just remember though, 3 weeks of inactivity and no song play contributions is the cut-off in the future for removal from the crew, so if you're ever gonna be unavailable for one reason or another for a few weeks send us a shout on discord letting us know.

Top Bottom