• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Neo Tokyo Update Out Today. Features and Patch Notes

BShadowJ

So I jumped back in for the new season and now everyone is saying "Calculated" when they do anything. Who starts these weird silly trends?

You can go to the options menu and there's a new tab called chat and you can edit your quick chat messages, and one of them is "Calculated." Obviously people jumped straight on it... :^)
My favorites include: "Siiick!", "Holy Cow!", "Savage!" and "Okay."
I use exactly none of those in a serious way x)

Pagusas

Elden Member
You can go to the options menu and there's a new tab called chat and you can edit your quick chat messages, and one of them is "Calculated." Obviously people jumped straight on it... :^)
My favorites include: "Siiick!", "Holy Cow!", "Savage!" and "Okay."
I use exactly none of those in a serious way x)

ah that explains it. thank you! I need to play with Gaffers, random competitive is starting to get toxic with children and disrespectful haters/bigots/insane people.

MUnited83

For you.
"Savage" is now the best quick chat term ever. Everytime someone starts being loudmouthed, I just say "Wow! Savage! Savage! Savage!"

Ran rp

Welp, RL went from my GOAT when it released to merely GOTY when wasteland came to ranked, and now it's just a pretty good game with this new map coming to ranked. It's funny that they're still willing to call it a competitive playlist when it's anything but at this point.

Still, cool update. The expanded quickchat would've been cool to use.

For you. For people that want true competitive, this means no "gimmicks."

No, the fault is completely on the game. Those maps aren't meant to be part of competitive outside of Psyonix trying to force players to play on them. When I think "Competitive" I think "no frills/gimmicks, no weird tricks. Everyone on the same even playing field."

Why do you think (before Psyonix started to ban for it) most of the PC players that were playing Competitive removed Dustbowl or whatever it's called to get rid of it from their matchmaking?

Look, in the end it comes down to the game's launch. Every competitive map was the same (or eerily similar) with its layout & size. This was the way things were for several months and why I put 300+ hrs into the game last year. There was a clear vision for competitive RL -- there were no announced plans for quirky maps to join the roster, yet I still spent many hours watching entertaining competitive matches.

If they had planned to reform the competitive scene making it resemble something like CS:GO with regards to map diversity, they should've clearly announced these planned changes far in advance or launched the game with them. It's not fair to completely shake the foundation of competitive play just to appease to the 2 demographics that want quirky maps: pros that have reached the skill ceiling, and casual players that don't play competitive RL often or at all.

The last time I played RL was months ago. I stopped after getting Wasteland 3 times in a row. I seem to lose 90% of the time on that map. The map doesn't come up often enough for me to become really good on it, so I still make mistakes on that map like backwards-flipping to the boostpad after kickoff which crashes my car, and other costly mistakes. The fault lies on Psyonix for starting with several normal maps then arbitrarily throwing in Wasteland several months post-launch. Then this Tokyo map. Etc.

I can only hope that Psyonix introduces a map filter similar to CS:GO in the future when cross-network play comes with Xbox. At that point they'll no longer be able to use the excuse, "it segregates the player base to a fault".

I not sure if this is hilarious or sad.

it's hilariously sad

Chiramii

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is the game that keeps on giving. I never thought one year ago that this game would remain popular to this day.

What would make the game even better is a community room feature, like the one found in Mario Kart 8. A GAF room would be fantastic.

Welp, RL went from my GOAT when it released to merely GOTY when wasteland came to ranked, and now it's just a pretty good game with this new map coming to ranked. It's funny that they're still willing to call it a competitive playlist when it's anything but at this point.

Still, cool update. The expanded quickchat would've been cool to use.

I don't understand the furor. Golfers have to play on a switched up field every time, competitive FPS's have around a dozen maps to account for on average. plus it's not like there's mario kart-esque random elements or environmental hazards. They're still pretty straightforward arenas.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Honestly I want to see Hoops in ranked, I personally heavily dislike the neo Tokyo and Wasteland maps and on top of that I regularly get matched with terrible players which reject playing like a normal player.
I can't always play with friends and I di
It's not fun like that.

I want to see regular 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 3v3 single, 2v2 Hoops (like casual, works great there) and 3 vs 3 Wasteland/Neo Tokyo.

Hoops is currently the only mode I really enjoy especially playing without friends.

It's so much fun but after a while I loose the motivation playing that brilliant mode without a ranking system for that.
Hoops is by far my favourite game mode. If hoops was in ranked I really wouldn't play anything else. I totally want a ranked hoops playlist, but definitely keep it as one 2v2 playlist. I don't think it would work too well in 3v3 because of how small the map is. Hoops in 1v1 is amazing though and ranked or unranked I'd love to see a 1v1 hoops playlist added.

Peltz

I don't understand the furor. Golfers have to play on a switched up field every time, competitive FPS's have around a dozen maps to account for on average. plus it's not like there's mario kart-esque random elements or environmental hazards. They're still pretty straightforward arenas.
Tennis players need to master different surfaces. Football players need to play on indoor and outdoor fields. Baseball players need to play on different sized fields with differently distanced homerun fences. Hockey players need to play on different sized rinks in the NHL compared to in Europe.

Stop making excuses for sucking and not being able to adapt with everyone else. It's on you if you can't hang. We are all playing the same game here.

I got my ass handed to me on Neo Tokyo. But I feel like I could get used to it with practice. There's nothing less competitive about having a differently shaped rink.

People will probably lose their shit when they add pillars but that map is so damn good I wish it was already there.

To be honest the only map I really dislike is the half circle one with the joined goal. I'm not huge on the one with 2 goals in a triangle either, but Pillars and Cosmic are pretty fun. I really hope we get Cosmic fleshed out next.

To be honest the only map I really dislike is the half circle one with the joined goal. I'm not huge on the one with 2 goals in a triangle either, but Pillars and Cosmic are pretty fun. I really hope we get Cosmic fleshed out next.

I'd like the donut in casual but not ranked. That was feels a lil "too" different for ranked imo.

More pics of cars, toppers and boost trails please

Spoiler image

Datamined I think. Keep in mind there are also painted and certified items as well so you can get different colors in not just these toppers but older toppers and wheels as well.

My dream Item is probably a certified black mohawk.

Edit damn just remember mohawk was probably DLC so I doubt it will have a color variant. =(

I love that they added "okay." It the perfect response to any snarky or asshole remark.

I immediately traded in all my uncommon dupes (wtf is this, Diablo? Marvel Heroes?) for rares, and managed to get enough dupes of those to get the cartoon smoke trail very rare. So that was cool. I'll probably dump some of the uncommons I don't care about, but I sort of enjoy having one of everything.

I got really annoyed last night getting matched with rookies and semipros who are pretty good at knocking the ball toward our own goal in unranked, but I am hoping that filters out as I play more and move ahead in some kind of hidden skill rating.

I immediately traded in all my uncommon dupes (wtf is this, Diablo? Marvel Heroes?) for rares, and managed to get enough dupes of those to get the cartoon smoke trail very rare. So that was cool. I'll probably dump some of the uncommons I don't care about, but I sort of enjoy having one of everything.

I got really annoyed last night getting matched with rookies and semipros who are pretty good at knocking the ball toward our own goal in unranked, but I am hoping that filters out as I play more and move ahead in some kind of hidden skill rating.

You will. They reset MMR with this update so it's day one right now and you can be matched with anyone. It will level itself out after awhile.

Spoiler image

Datamined I think. Keep in mind there are also painted and certified items as well so you can get different colors in not just these toppers but older toppers and wheels as well.

Edit damn just remember mohawk was probably DLC so I doubt it will have a color variant. =(

I love that they added "okay." It the perfect response to any snarky or asshole remark.

Hahaha I agree. Thanks for the link!

thenexus6

If only...

untitled-1-1310523091.jpg

They could've somehow made a car that looks like this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, does the game feel faster (PS4 version specifically)? I don't know, but there's something. Feels snappier, zippier.

EDIT: Lol, got Prospect II in Doubles. And yeah, when you get absolute clowns in more than half your qualifying games, watcha gonna do? I'm talking people without even a rudimentary understanding of the basic tactics of a Rocket League match. Oh well.

Spoiler image

Are these normal items or can they only be obtained through the trade-in system?

Ballistik

I was winning a lot of my first placement matches in solo standard that by my 7th game.. I was getting matched up mostly with players using the champion boost trail. They were doing ridiculous aerial goals and I felt out of place and bad for my teammates. Ended up getting placed in Prospect Elite. I was Challenger 3 before the reset.

CodeNfX

I am still doing my placement matches, had a champion player on my team. Seeing those siiick aerials and goal shots from him really inspired me to practice more. I felt bad for the other team, they did not stand a chance.

Anyone know why I'm getting nothing from matches? No items at all. I did do about 5 custom games to grind items just to see if it worked still while my friends finished a match. I got items there, but since then nothing.

It's kind of frustrating. Everyone else was getting stuff.

I don't think custom/private games give you special items. The items you unlocked were probably the ones specifically added in the patch like the Dying Light stuff and the different colors for two standard boosts. You need to play in the online playlists to get the uncommon and rare items.

nicolajNN

Anyone know why I'm getting nothing from matches? No items at all. I did do about 5 custom games to grind items just to see if it worked still while my friends finished a match. I got items there, but since then nothing.

It's kind of frustrating. Everyone else was getting stuff.

The uncommon, rare and very rare items only drop sometimes, for every game you play the chance to get an item increases. Only online matches count though, not 100% sure about private matches, but I think they are included.

Mit-

If only...

untitled-1-1310523091.jpg

They could've somehow made a car that looks like this.

I think the one new car is pretty directly inspired by this. I'm looking forward to buying it and trying to get the Orange team car to look as close to it as possible.

Honestly both cars look pretty inspired by it:

Also on the whole Neo Tokyo ranked debate, I do believe Psyonix did say new maps were a part of Rocket League's competitive future. They did, after all, make Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, which featured several maps with varying layouts. I believe they said they left it at one map while they fine-tuned gameplay and adjusted to their ridiculous and unexpected popularity (actual source: http://www.pcgamer.com/rocket-league-dev-exploring-mod-support-working-on-crazy-different-maps/ one month after launch doesn't seem like they were leading everyone on that there would never be new kinds of maps...).

And yeah, this is going to be more similar to MOBAs, FPS games, and Smash, people. Sorry. It should be fine in the end once you get used to playing on more maps, and once they have enough of them to start making them show up more frequently in ranked.

Not sure why anyone would hate on Neo Tokyo, though. Too bad that wasn't the first map they added to ranked. Maybe people wouldn't be so sour on the concept if their first experience wasn't Wasteland, which is a pretty bad map in any mode. That map just isn't really fun for anyone.

Is this the best update ever or the best update ever? If they plan to review the Collector's Edition, I would be stoked because the game is so much better right now than it was before, and I bet it'll review even higher.

Can I recommend a few changes to the winning screen? Can the devs make it more enticing to press "Ready"? I don't know what people wait for every 5 minutes.

Also, more requests: Redo the match results screen completely. Make it so that you vote for a map instead of "Ready". Give it 30 seconds and make it map voting. Once everyone votes or the timer runs out, start the game. There are too many awesome maps, and I would love to play Neo Tokyo a bit more often, or avoid Wasteland whenever I can. Also, please make it so mashing X (I mash X) doesn't move you from "Ready" to "Save Replay".

In short, since they're on a make-a-wish foundation spree, I would wish for more flexibilities on the winning screen. It would be a good change since you have 1/5th of a round's interaction there. Thanks! <3

Top Bottom