• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Neo Tokyo Update Out Today. Features and Patch Notes

Welp, RL went from my GOAT when it released to merely GOTY when wasteland came to ranked, and now it's just a pretty good game with this new map coming to ranked. It's funny that they're still willing to call it a competitive playlist when it's anything but at this point.

Still, cool update. The expanded quickchat would've been cool to use.

Except there's nothing "less competitive" about it. You just have make different strategies for it.

Bishop89

this game man...

I sort of wish i never mained sweet tooth at the start when the game launched.. because im a gun with that car but its totally different controlling the others because the hitboxes are different, and sweet tooth doesnt get any customization options!! :'(

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
For you. For people that want true competitive, this means no "gimmicks."

No gimmicks doesn't make the map any more inherently competitive. A ranked match on this map is no less fair than on the default map - it just requires the player to adapt and play differently dependant upon the given map. If you're unable or unwilling to do that then I'm afraid the fault is on you, not the game.

I think they've been pretty clear that Rocket League is a game about physics, not a standard map shape. I expect that new Rocket Lab arena to be given a Roman/Greek Colosseum skin and be put into ranked later this year as well. This will keep happening, so you should get used to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No gimmicks doesn't make the map any more inherently competitive. A ranked match on this map is no less fair than on the default map - it just requires the player to adapt and play differently dependant upon the given map. If you're unable or unwilling to do that then I'm afraid the fault is on you, not the game.

No, the fault is completely on the game. Those maps aren't meant to be part of competitive outside of Psyonix trying to force players to play on them. When I think "Competitive" I think "no frills/gimmicks, no weird tricks. Everyone on the same even playing field."

Why do you think (before Psyonix started to ban for it) most of the PC players that were playing Competitive removed Dustbowl or whatever it's called to get rid of it from their matchmaking?

Why does Psyonix keep changing older boost trails to have this blinding light with each patch? Some of them completely obscure the entire back of the car and your own view of the boost.

:/

This has been fixed some. GOD OF THUNDER LIGHTNING BOOST.

Until they quieten and shine this one up real heavily in a later patch too. :p

Most of the top players are from the first game where there were no standard goals and they competed for years. They were a big part of why Psynoix added non standard maps to the rotation. They wanted new maps and felt the game would stagnate without them. Most of them don't like wasteland but not because it's different they just don't think it's a good map.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
No, the fault is completely on the game. Those maps aren't meant to be part of competitive outside of Psyonix trying to force players to play on them. When I think "Competitive" I think "no frills/gimmicks, no weird tricks. Everyone on the same even playing field."

Why do you think (before Psyonix started to ban for it) most of the PC players that were playing Competitive removed Dustbowl or whatever it's called to get rid of it from their matchmaking?

But everybody is on an even playing field. This isn't Smash Bros - there are no dynamic events or random power-ups creating imbalances. All players have exactly the same experience - they're on the same map. Your argument essentially boils down to 'I don't like fancy maps, thus they're not competitive and shouldn't exist.' Again, that's not the game's fault, that's yours. The Smash argument doesn't apply to Rocket League - variant maps don't give either team an advantage.

Falchion

Just saw there were new achievements included in this update as well. They don't look bad at all so it shouldn't be much trouble to have it completed again.

AcridMeat

Banned
.eJwNyMsNwyAMANBdGABjyidkG0QQiZpghB3lUHX39h3fR93zVKvaRQavANvBheamWWjmVnUjamfN42Bd6IIskst-1S4M6K3HaFJA4xIm4yxgcn4xcUn_xGBjeMHd352erkdv6vsDBx4i4g.dN_34NBQbNRtKHj0ovGGty45RIA.png

Oh. My. God.
I love this.

Trying to get NeoTokyo to pop in Rocket Labs. No luck yet. :/

23qwerty

Most of the top players are from the first game where there were no standard goals and they competed for years. They were a big part of why Psynoix added non standard maps to the rotation. They wanted new maps and felt the game would stagnate without them. Most of them don't like wasteland but not because it's different they just don't think it's a good map.

Doesn't help that its one of the worst performing maps on PS4... at least in splitscreen, idk how maps perform in singleplayer since I never play without friends.

TheOGB

Banned
"Okay, time to turn off the PS4 and finally get back to Kirby."
*sees this thread and the updates*
FUCKKKKKKK

God damn I wasn't expecting it to be this extensive for some reason! This is excellent. Nice new remix as the opening track, closer view of your car, I can finally get rid of all these hats (in exchange for more hats), cool new presentation additions (showroom, post-game spotlight), customizable quick chat, I am loving this

Consumer

But everybody is on an even playing field. This isn't Smash Bros - there are no dynamic events or random power-ups creating imbalances. All players have exactly the same experience - they're on the same map. Your argument essentially boils down to 'I don't like fancy maps, thus they're not competitive and shouldn't exist.' Again, that's not the game's fault, that's yours. The Smash argument doesn't apply to Rocket League - variant maps don't give either team an advantage.

Look, in the end it comes down to the game's launch. Every competitive map was the same (or eerily similar) with its layout & size. This was the way things were for several months and why I put 300+ hrs into the game last year. There was a clear vision for competitive RL -- there were no announced plans for quirky maps to join the roster, yet I still spent many hours watching entertaining competitive matches.

If they had planned to reform the competitive scene making it resemble something like CS:GO with regards to map diversity, they should've clearly announced these planned changes far in advance or launched the game with them. It's not fair to completely shake the foundation of competitive play just to appease to the 2 demographics that want quirky maps: pros that have reached the skill ceiling, and casual players that don't play competitive RL often or at all.

The last time I played RL was months ago. I stopped after getting Wasteland 3 times in a row. I seem to lose 90% of the time on that map. The map doesn't come up often enough for me to become really good on it, so I still make mistakes on that map like backwards-flipping to the boostpad after kickoff which crashes my car, and other costly mistakes. The fault lies on Psyonix for starting with several normal maps then arbitrarily throwing in Wasteland several months post-launch. Then this Tokyo map. Etc.

I can only hope that Psyonix introduces a map filter similar to CS:GO in the future when cross-network play comes with Xbox. At that point they'll no longer be able to use the excuse, "it segregates the player base to a fault".

Gritesh

This game is BRUTAL to come back to after not playing it since release.

Toxic community and for some reason I got people on my team thato are fucking flying around the map doing insane shit.

Yeah won't be touching this again...used to have fun with it but the people now....just wow.

I think competitive Rocket League is pretty stupid, but I haven't liked any of the non-standard maps much. Them being in matchmaking is just bad. Wasteland was bad enough, but Neo Tokyo seems much much worse. Hopefully they don't run it into the ground by trying to artificially inject new life into it. I'd rather they just supported it as they have been and move on to other things.

MarionCB

This was a great update.

Neo Tokyo is a game changer with the extra tier and expanded stadium. I was so disoriented at first but once you start to get used to it, the space and geometry allows some pretty amazing acrobatic moves.

I also love the new post-game win screen. Everyone uses it for freestyle car dancing, haha.

v1lla21

This was a great update.

Neo Tokyo is a game changer with the extra tier and expanded stadium. I was so disoriented at first but once you start to get used to it, the space and geometry allows some pretty amazing acrobatic moves.

I also love the new post-game win screen. Everyone uses it for freestyle car dancing, haha.
Yup. One you know how the ball tends to act when it hits certain angles you can prepare some nice plays and aerials. My only problem with the map is that it causes lag whenever there's 3 or more vehicles in a single corner.

I hope we get more non traditional maps added to the competitive rotation.

This game is BRUTAL to come back to after not playing it since release.

Toxic community and for some reason I got people on my team thato are fucking flying around the map doing insane shit.

Yeah won't be touching this again...used to have fun with it but the people now....just wow.

Do you encounter this specifically in ranked or casual, or both? I usually don't have any negative interactions with players; more often than not by the end of the match I'm having goofy conversations about what everyone's drinking or something similar.

Maddocks

Man, I would hope they would allow some things for the dlc cars because I use the batmobile for my main car, it would be great to at least change the boost up or topper. Damn you movie cars and not allowing it to protect their image.

JambiBum

The new rankings seem weird, starting rank was a silver 2 (was usually around gold master in season 2)

It's not weird. Season 2 started with a base ranking that took season 1 into account. Season 3 starts fresh and is based solely on your ten placement matches.

Clauss

I haven't jumped on this in a while. Pillars looks interesting though. I've been looking forward to more non-standard map types so this seems like it's right up my alley.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Customizable quick chat is the best part of this update.

As for the new season starting, dammit, only managed Challenger in the end. I was SO CLOSE to reaching Rising Star in Doubles, but alas.

Dipship31

It's not weird. Season 2 started with a base ranking that took season 1 into account. Season 3 starts fresh and is based solely on your ten placement matches.

Eh, I played pretty well in my first 10 matches though and I played a helluva lot better than a silver 2 rank from season 1 or 2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've already played the hell out of it for 10-20 hours at a friend's so £16 is too much for me. I'd definitely pay £8 though. I won't purchase until it's discounted again.

10-20h? "Played the hell out of"? Lol. That's not even a warm-up. Come back when you have HUNDREDS of hours put into the game. :) And that's just me, some people have THOUSANDS.

But really, 20h in this game is nothing. If you enjoyed what you did play, it's 100% worth the full price. I've been playing it more or less non-stop (with some breaks for other games) since it was released - I'm pretty sure it's now by far my most played game ever - and I'm not even remotely considering stopping. It's as fun now as it ever was. In fact, it gets more fun the more you play and the more skilled you get (and I still have quite some ways to go to reach the really good players). I sort of wish I could pay for it, just for how much entertainment it's provided me with, but I'm "stuck" with the PS+ version. :(

GodofWine

I feel like my prospect 2 placement is a bit off...but oh well, I'll rise out of there. If I went 2 and 8 fine...but I think I was 6 and 4 in solo 3v3.

New map is great, game needs these maps, calling them a gimmick is like saying every comp fps should be on one map, still the same game for everyone, adapt or die, don't whine about it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
10-20h? "Played the hell out of"? Lol. That's not even a warm-up. Come back when you have HUNDREDS of hours put into the game. :) And that's just me, some people have THOUSANDS.

But really, 20h in this game is nothing. If you enjoyed what you did play, it's 100% worth the full price. I've been playing it more or less non-stop (with some breaks for other games) since it was released - I'm pretty sure it's now by far my most played game ever - and I'm not even remotely considering stopping. It's as fun now as it ever was. In fact, it gets more fun the more you play and the more skilled you get (and I still have quite some ways to go to reach the really good players). I sort of wish I could pay for it, just for how much entertainment it's provided me with, but I'm "stuck" with the PS+ version. :(
You should do what I did and buy the PC version even though you already have the PS Plus version.

BShadowJ

I feel like my prospect 2 placement is a bit off...but oh well, I'll rise out of there. If I went 2 and 8 fine...but I think I was 6 and 4 in solo 3v3.

New map is great, game needs these maps, calling them a gimmick is like saying every comp fps should be on one map, still the same game for everyone, adapt or die, don't whine about it.

Yeah I think the highest ranking I've seen anyone get after placements was Challenger 2 with 10 wins. I personally got Challenger 1 in Doubles and Prospect Elite on solo 3s with 9/10 wins on both. It's just a side effect of a full ranked reset, nothing to be too worried about.

I also personally love the fact that they're adding new maps to ranked, and I'm pretty sure most of the pros agree that the game needed some map variety to competitive play at the very least.
Ironically I did 30 games yesterday total and got a single Wasteland and a single NeoTokyo lol

Not sure why you've associated that with competitive, because when I think competitive I think "these matches count towards my rank" and that's it.

Neo Tokyo is great.

v1lla21

I also personally love the fact that they're adding new maps to ranked, and I'm pretty sure most of the pros agree that the game needed some map variety to competitive play at the very least.
Ironically I did 30 games yesterday total and got a single Wasteland and a single NeoTokyo lol
yeah the addition of the non traditional maps is great and shakes things up for competitive matches. It also helps that Neo Tokyo is a cool ass map.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I jumped back in for the new season and now everyone is saying "Calculated" when they do anything. Who starts these weird silly trends?

Yudoken

Honestly I want to see Hoops in ranked, I personally heavily dislike the neo Tokyo and Wasteland maps and on top of that I regularly get matched with terrible players which reject playing like a normal player.
I can't always play with friends and I hoops is generally a better experience for me.

I want to see regular 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 3v3 single, 2v2 Hoops (like casual, works great there) and 3 vs 3 Wasteland/Neo Tokyo as ranked modes.

Hoops is currently the only mode I really enjoy especially playing without friends.

It's so much fun but after a while I loose the motivation playing that brilliant mode without a ranking system for that.

It would be perfect if it would be available in ranked.

Top Bottom