• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Switch targeting 720p 60fps. PS4 crossplay a "political barrier".

janoDX

This might not matter for games that have yearly installments like CoD or Battlefield, but for these kinds of evergreen games, crossplay will matter a lot in the coming years.

And I think this is the main reason League of Legends isn't on consoles, Riot wants the game on all platforms with crossplay and the use of KB and Mouse.

I'm happy with 720p/60fps. Rocket League really needs all the FPS it can get. Most of the time if I'm able to dock my Switch, I'll just play Rocket League on the PC then.

How it looked in the trailer is better than the Rocket League that was running on a GDP Win on the youtube channel Low Spec gamer. I hope Overwatch is ported to the Switch next.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Absolutely crucial this retains 60fps gameplay in ALL modes. 720p is NOT a deal breaker for me at all. Congrats to the Rocket League devs and Nintendo for making this happen.

RAWRferal

Its 720 in both apparantly. MAkes me wonder if they are using that boost mode that drains more battery in portable

That still wouldn't make up the gulf in performance to allow it to run at the same resolution, at least without fairly hefty lowering of other settings.

I'm going with an adaptive resolution solution here, dropping to about 540p handheld and more time at 720p docked.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm glad the devs seem aware of the task before them. UE3 is cpu heavy, which doesn't favor the switch too much which is far more holistic in it's design. As long as fidelity is kept to medium and they optimize reaching their desire isn't hard considering apus with less overall than switch can easily climb in to the 100s if fidelity isn't a desire.

Moving to UE4 isn't necessarily a good thing. We have the vanishing of ethan carter as proof of that. Optimization matters more especially considering the engine and the platform involved. Really hope someone from nvidia convinces nintendo to get more hands on with performance and titles on the platform. One company is making a killing from their presence in this area the other is using their architecture in switch. It's pathetic when AMD is more hands on than nintendo.

Mariokart does more and is still physics heavy as noted in interview switch allows them to do more and have more boxes vs WiiU. I have faith especially considering they want to get this right especially at 720p, this game could easily do that or a decent dynamic resolution. 1080p with eyecandy is a no go but considering how many play on ultra with pcs vs the bulk of console and potato users it's not an issue. This potato vid makes it clear why 1080p 60fps isn't happening considering it has noticeably strong intel dual core cpu doing the task with a shit igpu.. You could gut it to death with no optimization you still come up a few frames short. Switch does offer Psyonix potential but are they going to do what shinen likes to do is going to be the question. Considering that the potato machine is tweaks they blocked this will be a good test case like other multiplatforms of what switch can do when something is actually tried.

RAWRferal there's no need to gut using performance settings and dropping res will offer clear improvements. I seriously don't see Psyonix doing a half hearted effort on the platform. So we should get something nice for that level, far better than what the potato is offering.

Its 720 in both apparantly. MAkes me wonder if they are using that boost mode that drains more battery in portable

That still wouldn't make up the gulf in performance to allow it to run at the same resolution, at least without fairly hefty lowering of other settings.

I'm going with an adaptive resolution solution here, dropping to about 540p handheld and more time at 720p docked.

Will be interesting to see how undocked hold up. Looking forward to the DF analysis!

Top Bottom