• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Switch targeting 720p 60fps. PS4 crossplay a "political barrier".

Endo Punk

Funny how at the start of this gen Sony were for cross play and have done so with PC but when it came to cross play with their competitors they are making all kinds of excuses to "protect" us 😂

Teppic

As with Mario Kart, the only place where 30fps is acceptable is 3-4p split screen and even that's pushing it.
I've tried 30 fps 4 player in Mario Kart Deluxe. It's awful, almost unplayable. Some games work in 30 fps, but with Mario Kart it was an awful experience. 60 fps is a must if I'm to enjoy games like this.

Unsure why people want PS4 crossplay in this. It's not like you can party up with people on different platforms, right? The Switch version will probably have a decent amount of people playing online when you add in the Xbone and PC crossplay.

Discord. I plan to use that wacky setup that Nintendo wants for Splatoon 2 to actually be my main method of chat for everything and use Discord mobile instead so I can talk to my PC friends while playing on any other platform of my choice. I currently just use Discord on speaker phone. I never tried but I hope Xbox One controllers allow game audio output via 3.5mm. PC does, Switch does though I'll need a longer 3.5mm just for it to the dock, PS4 does.

phanphare

Banned
60fps is key with this game I would think so that's music to my ears

He’s hoping the PlayStation community is loud enough about wanting this to happen that Sony decides to let it happen. Cross-platform play, including the PlayStation 4, could happen today if Sony told them they could do it.

“It’s literally something we could do with a push of a button, metaphorically,” Dunham told Polygon. “In reality it’s a web page with a checkbox on it. All we have to do is check that box and it would be up and running in less than an hour all over the world. That’s all we need to do.”

this is damning. hopefully Sony fans are loud enough so that they change their tune on this matter.

I've tried 30 fps 4 player in Mario Kart Deluxe. It's awful, almost unplayable. Some games work in 30 fps, but with Mario Kart it was an awful experience. 60 fps is a must if I'm to enjoy games like this.
Yeah they really should have lowered resolution to 720p with 3-4 players..

Psyonix said:
The goal for the Switch version of Rocket League is to have it feel like it does on every other platform. Developer Psyonix is hoping to get the game running at 60 fps in both the Switch's docked and undocked mode, running at 720p. The performance of the game, the developer argues, is more important than pure visual fidelity.

This is why I love these guys. They get it.

Game of the Generation and one of the best of all time.

It's really not that bad. Worse than 60fps 100%. But its totally playable and works fine.

I give it three months tops before Sony buckles and plays ball. The negative press they're getting from this is just too overwhelming to simply hand-wave away.

Sony has arguably been the people's champ in the eyes of many this generation, now is not the time to ruin that reputation.
Sony lost that rep a while ago. They turned anti player half way through this gen. The whole no fallout 4 mods thing and then no cross-platform play which has been a point of contention for long time.

Sevenfold

MK64 at sub 30fps was unplayable for hundreds of hours.

Can't believe there are people that are saying "Well I have PS4 and that's okay, there is no need for this." When it benefits everyone.

Wild.

He’s hoping the PlayStation community is loud enough about wanting this to happen that Sony decides to let it happen. Cross-platform play, including the PlayStation 4, could happen today if Sony told them they could do it.

“It’s literally something we could do with a push of a button, metaphorically,” Dunham told Polygon. “In reality it’s a web page with a checkbox on it. All we have to do is check that box and it would be up and running in less than an hour all over the world. That’s all we need to do.”

There you fucking go. First, thanks Jeremy for being as upfront as you can. We need more developers talking about this, for that's the only way to make this happen.

I appreciate Psyonix's zero bullshit approach to the issue. This is the future and they are doing more than their fair share to bring it about.

night814

MK8 on WiiU was the same way and it's incredibly noticable.

Have not picked up RL on anything yet since my PC is for less intensive gaming and I refuse to pay for PS+ and Live just to play online so this will be a first time get for me. Excited.

”Technically it's possible," Dunham said. ”There are no technical limitations. Right now it's just a political barrier we need to help figure out how to crack."

don't buy Playstations anymore
pretty easy

Pretty surprised at the dev saying how easy it is to get crossplay going, I figured it'd be harder

Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Maybe if they hired Shin'en to do the port, they could hit 1080p 60fps.

This makes no sense, stop comparing it to BOTW too, they're completely different games

BigEmil

People should consistently keep on nagging Sony on all social media platforms including emails etc to push cross-play in Rocket League/Minecraft

They will give in eventually

Drey1082

I have a feeling that the true reason is because Sony's networking back end is such a disaster being held together by duct tape, that they're very hesitant to let anyone external into that environment.

Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Maybe if they hired Shin'en to do the port, they could hit 1080p 60fps.
Absolutely, but I'll be ok with 720/60fps. Maybe they'll continue to optimize after launch.

Peltz

I will still use the PS4 version as my main version of the game at home. But I'm really pumped that I no longer have to dream of playing this game when on the go. It's the game I play most in general so being able to play it wherever I could get a wifi connection is just mindblowing.

Also, with this game, Switch already has a really nice of multiplayer games within the first year. Like, most systems never get this sort of diverse library online multiplayer games, and Switch has them all within a few months of each other.

It's refreshing for both a handheld and Nintendo platform.

I have a feeling that the true reason is because Sony's networking back end is such a disaster being held together by duct tape, that they're very hesitant to let anyone external into that environment.

There's cross play on 3DS and Wii U.
3DS network is being held together by tears and shame.

Flintty

Silly cross play question here which may have already been answered.

I know I can play with other platforms but can I actually friend them and join/invite?

Weebos

Banned
Cross play really needs to be something that becomes standard across the board, especially for non-FPS games.

Hell, I'd love to have it be optional for FPS as well.

Almost hoping Ninty and MS almost unofficially team up and try and push for cross-play in as many titles as possible that are coming for both.

Don't see it happening, but could definitely put Sony's feet to the fire a bit if both can claim to have better versions than Sony (MS with XOX as "most powerful" version, Switch with portability, both can play with each other)

Pretty much guaranteeing that I'll pick up Rocket League for a 3rd time on Switch now if they can hit 720/60 undocked.

Iced Arcade

This whole not allowing cross play could potentially hurt Sony from future games if a developer has cross play in mind. they will probably pass the console that doesn't meet the requirements.

I can see the next Mindcraft skipping playstation because it doesn't fit the standards they put in place. I'd almost bet money on this one actually.

DryvBy

Why would people not want it?

I can see someone being apathetic to it if you can't party up and voice chat with those people. Unless I can play with my friends cross-platform, it doesn't hurt me one way or the other.

Disc Jam could certainly use cross-play though lol

Top Bottom