• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Switch targeting 720p 60fps. PS4 crossplay a "political barrier".

720p in both modes? Weird, why not take advantage of the extra clockspeed in docked? Disgaea and Minecraft do this too.

I think this has to do with how the UI is programmed, they would have to redo it for different resolutions and swap assets. Maybe. And maybe it'll come with an update later on.

Man just do it Sony, this is the kind of behaviour and logic that leads straight back to Arrogant Sony™ and we all know that this isn't the best path to take.

I personally don't care much about it, as I pretty much never play any games online, but being able to play with PC, Switch and One gamers is pretty cool.

gelf

to be devils advocate for a moment, Sony is currently the lead Console Provider this gen. Why should they let their rivals get in on their platform and benefit of its size and support by allowing other consoles to play with their players?

Sounds shit but I bet they have made that argument somewhere.
All the more reason to keep the pressure on them so it gets to the point that the business​ case for not supporting cross play isn't worth the PR hit.

I hope lots of games start supporting cross play and it becomes a standard and if Sony doesn't play ball I want them having to deal with constant questions to justify it.

Rocket league is actually graphically demanding, weirdly enough.

And the devs have gotten damn good at optimizing it vs what it was at 2 years ago.

I never could figure out why it was so demanding.

I mean there's physics, but BOTW has physics.

The game is in an enclosed arena vs and open world game.

The game characters are cars with minimal skeletal rigging.

It's not exactly displaying a huge number of objects on screen wither.

I mean, it's fine. I just don't get why the game is so demanding.

If anyone can make Cross Play happen on PS4 with Xbox and Switch it's these guys.

I do find it a bit strange that Sony don't mind cross play with PC but not with other consoles.

Could someone explain this recent crossplay noise to me?

Rocket League has had crossplay PC/PS4 for a while now.

Thing is, you can't invite friends or play with friends cross platform. It's purely just so the matchmaking has a larger pool of players

Are things different now, or is it the same old shit?

Can you invite other platforms as a 'party'/team or whatever? Or is it purely so platforms with weak numbers can find opponents at their skill level? I'm assuming it's not just this, as Minecraft is practically 100% co-op, and it's talking about crossplay. But what technically is changed? How do I join a game with my switch friend, if I'm on PSN?

MoonFrog

Their argument is to protect the children. Which is more shit because who are you protecting when you're allowing to link on the fuckin' PC. A cesspool for kids.
I'm guessing you've never played on a Nintendo then, if you think PC is a cesspool.

Complete and utter depravity, debauchery, and barbarism. Seeing what goes on on a Nintendo is enough to change a child for life into a monstrous lunatic. No one would let a child near that, if they cared.

No one.

Get your fucking act together Sony, you're just making yourselves look like a bunch of arrogant cunts for no reason over this nonsense.

nightside

Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Maybe if they hired Shin'en to do the port, they could hit 1080p 60fps.

When it comes to Unreal engine I don't know how many developers are more experienced than psyonix.

I know this sucks and i would love it myself, but for Sony it just doesnt make sense to activate it honestly. Business wise this would be a mistake

Caayn

All toilets are compatible with your Switch, Can't really say that about the remote play setup.

I'll just use my single console to play on the toilet, thanks.
I can play with my PS4 on the toilet as well. See:
wp_20140829_006c0pjw.jpg

Your turn.

Hermii

Sorry to whataboutist but I feel if Nintendo was the only one who opted out, there would be a lot less apologetic posts here.

VariantX

Honestly, a game like Rocket League can probably hit 1080p 60fps in the hands of a more experienced developer. Not saying Psyonix is lazy or anything, but that graphics aren't that impressive in Rocket League.

Game seems really, really physics heavy to me compared to Fast RMX.

to be devils advocate for a moment, Sony is currently the lead Console Provider this gen. Why should they let their rivals get in on their platform and benefit of its size and support by allowing other consoles to play with their players?

That's the obvious reason why, but Sony has trumpeted this bullshit excuse that it's because they want to protect kids from deviants on other platforms (PC doesn't count apparently).

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Unsure why people want PS4 crossplay in this. It's not like you can party up with people on different platforms, right? The Switch version will probably have a decent amount of people playing online when you add in the Xbone and PC crossplay.

Not being able to party up with people on different platforms does suck, and it's something I hope Psyonix eventually addresses.

But even without it, I don't see how having a higher player count could possibly be a bad thing.

Inviusx

If cross platform parties don't exist and the ability to actually play against someone from a different platform is purely "by chance" then what difference does it make if Switch/Xbox/PC/PS4 are in the same player pool?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I never could figure out why it was so demanding.

I mean there's physics, but BOTW has physics.

The game is in an enclosed arena vs and open world game.

The game characters are cars with minimal skeletal rigging.

It's not exactly displaying a huge number of objects on screen wither.

I mean, it's fine. I just don't get why the game is so demanding.

because even a tiny bit of slowdown gives you a massive disadvantage probably. it has to perform perfectly so they target lower fidelity and amazing performance. That makes it especially pressing for switch.

Psyonix should be given awards for being one of the best devs around. they are really proud of their product and industry leading in the cross play initiative.

Hermii

I understand focussing on 60fps. But even docked only 720p when we have Shin'en doing 1080/60 docked.
They are doing it on an engine that's not natively supported by the platform. If the game had been ue4 and exactly the same otherwise it probably wouldn't have been a big deal to optimize for 720p/ 1080p,

60fps is good news and an admirable goal, hope they manage to hit that target.

Why would you want to play with less people. What logic are you even trying to lay out here. I don't understand. What is the con to having a larger pool of players.

What good is a larger pool of players if PS4 players have to play with people on other consoles.

*Points to NPD threads*

WE THEY ARE WINNERS! IT IS IMPORTANT TO ME THAT YOU UNDERSTAND SONY ARE MARKET LEADERS GODDAMMIT!

So I'm not buying it. I know every bit of evidence points to Sony being at fault but let me tell you about Final Fantasy 14. Sony is protecting us from subliminal advertising for amiibos, won't someone think of the children?

-shadow-

They are doing it on an engine that's not natively supported by the platform. If the game had been ue4 and exactly the same otherwise it probably wouldn't have been a big deal to optimize for 720p/ 1080p,
It runs on UE3? Well that explains that, for some reason I always thought 4. Still would've preferred at least the tiniest bumps. But might patch it later on I guess.

Kayant

Could someone explain this recent crossplay noise to me?

Rocket League has had crossplay PC/PS4 for a while now.

Thing is, you can't invite friends or play with friends cross platform. It's purely just so the matchmaking has a larger pool of players

Are things different now, or is it the same old shit?

Can you invite other platforms as a 'party'/team or whatever? Or is it purely so platforms with weak numbers can find opponents at their skill level? I'm assuming it's not just this, as Minecraft is practically 100% co-op, and it's talking about crossplay. But what technically is changed? How do I join a game with my switch friend, if I'm on PSN?
Nothing has changed. Yes cross play is mainly about having bigger player pools.

It's not about "platforms with weak numbers can find opponents at their skill level?"

Crossplay has benefits -
- Including faster matchmarking
- Keeping dead communities alive for longer

Either way it's a feature that doesn't harm any ecosystem because of the below and can be switched off. There is no real negatives to players.

For parties Devs will need a custom systems to handle every platform supported that is unlikely to happen for most games with crossplay.
Parties are entirely implemented via platform-specific services. So when you party up with your friend on PS4, all the data that goes back and forth to make parties work - "This guy joined our party. We're joining this server." etc. goes through Sony's system.

There's no way to send that data to a Steam user because Sony's system does not know Steam exists, much less who your friends are on it.

The only way to do cross-platform parties is to have your own independent friends list and party system backend that handles it all separately from Sony/Steam/etc.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3b20r8/comment/csipzgm?st=J0MVSGH9&sh=7dd8adb2

Jerry

What an awful post.

720p/60FPS in Handheld mode too?

Sonys behaviour is unbelievably stupid and anti player.

Edit:
So 720p in TV Mode too, but Splitscreen with for players possible. Wondering if 1080p could not be possible for 1 or 2 players in TV-Mode.

Oersted

Stating Sony is fucking over PS4 owners because they are market leaders is not playing devils advocate, its stating the obvious.

You guys really have to learn how to make an argument.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
"The performance of the game, the developer argues, is more important than pure visual fidelity"

I wonder how big the visual downgrades will be.

deleted

720p in both modes? Weird, why not take advantage of the extra clockspeed in docked? Disgaea and Minecraft do this too.

Maybe that's a reason why there might only be 1 player possible in tabletop mode.

NOW IT'S WHERE IT BELONGS.

Probably none because the game runs in 720p and performs on an older engine.

There will be downgrades, Psyonics has made the engine their own over the years with custom particle effects etc.
It's also highly scalabe so there's no reason to think it won't be adjusted to run completely stable on the Switch.
PS4 had 900p and drops till early this year IIRC - Switch and PS4 won't look identical, even apart from resolution.

It's kinda funny how they put in all that hard work behind Sony's back to where it would be that easy if they said "Yes". Part of me feels like Sony is gonna be pissed when they see that if they're really gonna remain arrogant.
They likely don't have that much of hard work behind Sony's back, since they handle all by themselves and have allow cross play for both consoles with PC. It's just a matter of setting up both versions to see each other.

Jazzem

I'm not 100% sure, but the game in the trailer did look like the PC version when most of the extra graphic settings are turned off. It's a fair compromise for performance of course, having a portable Rocket League run and look that well is glorious :D

Davey Cakes

I absolutely agree with targeting 60fps. It's VITAL for a game like Rocket League, especially with cross-platform play.

From the start I said RL is a shoo-in for Switch and should take as many hits as possible to graphics and fidelity to get it running on the platform. Whatever sacrifices are made will be justified by the ability to "play anywhere."

As with Mario Kart, the only place where 30fps is acceptable is 3-4p split screen and even that's pushing it.

"The performance of the game, the developer argues, is more important than pure visual fidelity"

I wonder how big the visual downgrades will be.
This is the main reason I didn't think RL would come to Switch. I didn't think they'd willingly release a definitively worse looking version nearly 2 years after launch, but here we are.
Very curious to see the extent of the downgrades.

I mean the community has been verry vocal about EA Access to and its done nothing. You'd think even with getting marketing for the biggest EA Sports game they'd use that to bring it over but nope.

Top Bottom