• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: Biggest ticket presales of 2016. Second highest of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
#2 only to....The Force Awakens.

Anyone who unwisely predicted Rogue One wouldn't shatter Batman v. Superman or Civil War going into this year must feel pretty silly by now.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...tar-wars-story-ticket-presales-are-big-951164

MovieTickets.com says that the film led the site to the biggest presales day of 2016, and on the site, presales for the first Star Wars standalone sold 90 percent of blockbuster Star Wars: The Force Awakens did on its first day.

Fandago also reported Monday was it's highest presales day of the year, and its second highest presales day ever, behind Force Awakens.

Rogue One, from director Gareth Edwards, is tracking to open to $130-million-plus range, which would mark the second-biggest December opening of all time behind Force Awakens, which debuted to a record $248 million domestically. It eventually grossed $2.07 billion worldwide.

kevin1025

Banned
Disney and the fans right now:

tumblr_nfxrxcyl8F1qzxttjo1_400.gif

Anyone who unwisely predicted Rogue One wouldn't shatter Batman v. Superman or Civil War going into this year must feel pretty silly by now.

Anyone who feels people who are wrong about box office sales predictions must feel pretty silly by now must feel pretty silly by now.

Cheebo

Banned
Are we expecting this to make near TFA numbers?
I would think less

The Force Awakens is the highest grossing movie domestically of all time with over 930 million, Avatar is #2 with over 740 million.

This won't do those sort of numbers at all, but it will be easily the #1 movie this year. 450 mil domestic is probably the floor here. 500 mil+ could be possible if everything lines up.

Still need to watch TFA, surprised it's not on HBO yet

It won't be on HBO. Starz got the first round tv rights. Followed by TNT.

It's the second movie I've ever reserved tickets for, the other being TFA, so there you have it.

It'd be easier to not do it if the glasses from Alamo weren't so damn good cool.

Disney has to notice that December releases are the way to go now for SW movies.

The most important question is...

Will we see Han Solo VS Avatar 2 in 2018?

kevin1025

Banned
Disney has to notice that December releases are the way to go now for SW movies.

I think we're going to get Solo and Episode IX in May... and then starting in 2020 or 2021 we get two Star Wars a year, May and December.

Cheebo

Banned

Han Solo is penciled in for May 2018. Disney has their Avatar land park. It wouldn't make sense for them to directly harm the gross of Avatar 2.

Surfinn

The Force Awakens is the highest grossing movie domestically of all time with over 930 million, Avatar is #2 with over 740 million.

This won't do those sort of numbers at all, but it will be easily the #1 movie this year. 450 mil domestic is probably the floor here. 500 mil+ could be possible if everything lines up.

It won't be on HBO. Starz got the first round tv rights. Followed by TNT.

Wouldn't be that surprised if it hit 600 or 700 with the way things are going. US SW fanbase is a hell of a group. I bet a huge majority of the people who saw TFA will return to see the first spinoff.

Somnia

Nope, it's scheduled for May 25th 2018. They stated with Episode 8 they wanted to get back to summer release schedule, but had to delay 8. They are getting back to it with the Han Solo movie, we'll see if they continue that going forward, but with 4 Avatar sequels on the way which will all be in December they have to take that into consideration.

Also as an above poster mentioned, they don't want to harm Avatar's take as they have a deal in place theme park wise.

kswiston

Finding Dory is #1 with $486M, so it will need to do better than your floor for #1.

Cheebo

Banned
Finding Dory is #1 with $486M, so it will need to do better than your floor for #1.
I always forget about Dory! I think Rogue One does more than 500 mil. The marketing machine seems to be doing good work of late.

I'm going to go with a final domestic tally of 530 mil.

Sulik2

I still feel like 130 million is low. Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up closer to 180 when all is said and done opening weekend.

kswiston

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But isn't that just for day 1 presales? Still goddamn impressive, way better than I originally thought.

You can buy tickets for the entire first week (at least at my theatre), but most of these sales are going to be for Thursday and Friday evening, yes.

Still, $130M is just over half of what TFA did first weekend. There's a lot of room for improvement, while still maintaining a sizable drop. Even Civil War opening numbers are close to $70M down from TFA.

Is is worth it to see this in IMAX?

Apparently, and regrettably, it's only in 3D in official IMAX, but if there's a Cinemark XD theater near you, check for 2D screenings. Basically the same thing as IMAX 2D, especially for a film that was seemingly finished in 2K like this.

kevin1025

Banned
I still feel like 130 million is low. Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up closer to 180 when all is said and done opening weekend.

I'm not sure --- maybe someone could chime in --- but I think the tracking on that number was before the presale tickets. It may not have been adjusted, as I remember reading that it could easily jump to $150-160 million now because of the presale ticket event.

Surfinn

You can buy tickets for the entire first week (at least at my theatre), but most of these sales are going to be for Thursday and Friday evening, yes.

Still, $130M is just over half of what TFA did first weekend. There's a lot of room for improvement, while still maintaining a sizable drop. Even Civil War opening numbers are close to $70M down from TFA.

Seems to me like the question should be.. who won't be returning to see R1 out of the crowd that saw TFA on opening weekend?

I get that TFA was sort of a once in a long time kinda thing (because the story picked up 30 something years after ROTJ, people wanted to see a good SW film again after the controversial/moderately panned prequels), but I bet a huge percentage of those moviegoers return. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw 160-170 OW.

kswiston

Seems to me like the question should be.. who won't be returning to see R1 out of the crowd that saw TFA on opening weekend?

I get that TFA was sort of a once in a long time kinda thing (because the story picked up 30 something years after ROTJ, people wanted to see a good SW film again after the controversial/moderately panned prequels), but I bet a huge percentage of those moviegoers return. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw 160-170 OW.

I think that Rogue One will have fewer crazy fans seeing the films 2-3 times (or more) during its opening weekend. This will be more pronounced in subsequent weeks. Last year Bobby posted an article suggesting that the majority of business on The Force Awakens' third weekend was repeat viewers. I am too lazy to try and find the article at the moment, but a good chunk of that $935M domestic total was repeat viewing.

Got my 2 tickets, and ready for Saturday opening weekend.

Disney is going to keep releasing Star Wars/Marvel movies forever aren't they?

Late 90's early 00's me would be ecstatic at the thought of yearly Star Wars and comic book movies. Present day me, a little less so, yet I keep buying the tickets, lol.

Surfinn

I think that Rogue One will have fewer crazy fans seeing the films 2-3 times (or more) during its opening weekend.

That's true. I guess repeat viewings really boosted TFA numbers. Still, the US SW fanbase are known to do repeat viewings a lot, so I'd expect there's still gunna be lots.

EDIT: Do we know what the budget is for R1?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I would imagine most movies that go over 450-500 million domestic have a ton of repeat business.

kswiston

That's true. I guess repeat viewings really boosted TFA numbers. Still, the US SW fanbase are known to do repeat viewings a lot, so I'd expect there's still gunna be lots.

I have been on the Rogue One is going to be #1 or close to it train all year, so I agree. The Force Awakens was just so huge compared to anything this year, that R1's #1 placement could still come with a close to a $450M domestic and $900M worldwide drop.

EDIT: If the difference in gross between TFA and Civil War was the gross of a 2016 film, it would be #1 domestic and #5 worldwide for the year so far.

Surfinn

I have been on the Rogue One is going to be #1 or close to it train all year, so I agree. The Force Awakens was just so huge compared to anything this year, that R1's #1 placement could still come with a close to a $450M domestic and $900M worldwide drop.

EDIT: If the difference in gross between TFA and Civil War was the gross of a 2016 film, it would be #1 domestic and #5 worldwide for the year so far.

There were also a LOT of people theorizing that R1 could actually do much better overseas than TFA (during the time TFA released) because of lots of reasons. It will be interesting to see how that all shakes out. It could even surpass TFA in China, which would be cool to see (if there is actually any truth in those theories).

Also.. is there any way to even produce stats that represent repeat viewings? Seems pretty goddamn hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom