• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: Biggest ticket presales of 2016. Second highest of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's work is giving us passes to see it on the 15th but I can't seem to get excited for it. I like Star Wars, I like Darth Vader, I kinda like the idea behind the movie but I just can't seem to care. Weird.

sphagnum

Banned
I would like to remind everyone to keep their expectations in check regarding Vader's involvement since Kennedy already said he's not in it much.

Gravidee

I would like to remind everyone to keep their expectations in check regarding Vader's involvement since Kennedy already said he's not in it much.

I would guess that he only appears in a couple of briefings, and maybe force chokes someone. I'm not even expecting him to ignite his lightsaber.

Iron Man 3 OW's was about 85% of the Avengers, so I could definitely see Rogue One getting a $200M opening.

I suspect it will have significantly lower staying power that TFA, though. The second weekend drop in particular will be very rough with Christmas Eve falling on a Saturday.

kswiston

There were also a LOT of people theorizing that R1 could actually do much better WW than TFA (during the time TFA released) because of lots of reasons. It will be interesting to see how that all shakes out. It could even surpass TFA in China, which would be cool to see (if there is actually any truth in those theories).

Also.. is there any way to even produce stats that represent repeat viewings? Seems pretty goddamn hard to do.

I don't think Rogue One has any real chance of topping TFA overseas. The UK, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, and Japan are mature markets. They will likely mimic the US performance to some extent, with a sizeable drop between TFA and Rogue One. Those territories made up almost $600M of TFA's overseas gross.

Rogue One has a decent chance at topping Rogue One's gross in China and territories that typically mirror China's taste in Hollywood films.

EDIT: Regarding repeat viewings, there's exit polling and maybe online ticket sales tied to specific accounts, but that's about it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
More excited for this than Force Awakens. Seems like it was way more of a Star Wars world vibe than TFA which felt like a typical JJ flick with a Star Wars coat.

Ashhong

Anecdotal but the theaters around me are more sold out than even TFA time. I always book the same IMAX seats for every IMAX movie, and was able to for TFA about 2 weeks before the movie came out. They and many more seats are already gone for Rogue One. Now I need to wait...

More excited for this than Force Awakens. Seems like it was way more of a Star Wars world vibe than TFA which felt like a typical JJ flick with a Star Wars coat.

The fuck does this even mean. Please explain how TFA did not feel like a Star Wars movie. Hell, everyone complains it was just ANH all over again.

Symphonic

Anecdotal but the theaters around me are more sold out than even TFA time. I always book the same IMAX seats for every IMAX movie, and was able to for TFA about 2 weeks before the movie came out. They and many more seats are already gone for Rogue One. Now I need to wait...

The fuck does this even mean. Please explain how TFA did not feel like a Star Wars movie. Hell, everyone complains it was just ANH all over again.

While I do disagree and think TFA felt extremely Star Wars-y, I see his point. This one has the nostalgia/feel of the original trilogy which is more "traditional" Star Wars and arguably more true to the heart of the franchise.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Mainly tone, Rogue One seems like it has way more bite. An emphasis on shots that showcase the environments. I guess I just wasn't feeling TFA as much. I was a little hyperbolic with the Star Wars jab though, don't want to draw ire over that lol

As I said in the other thread about this, the only question is how closely it will track to The Force Awakens. It will clearly be the second biggest December release ever. Will it be a billion-dollar film, though? We'll see. TFA took about $2 billion boxoffice, worldwide.

If R1 can get 55% of that, it will have been closer than I could have imagined as an off-shoot film.

But like I said before, American (and indeed the world) loves them some Star Wars. The franchise doesn't produce movies; it produces happenings.

Timu

Mainly tone, Rogue One seems like it has way more bite. An emphasis on shots that showcase the environments. I guess I just wasn't feeling TFA as much.
Going by the clip I posted in this thread Rogue One is also going to have quite a bit of humor, maybe more so than the typical Star Wars movie.

As I said in the other thread about this, the only question is how closely it will track to The Force Awakens. It will clearly be the second biggest December release ever. Will it be a billion-dollar film, though? We'll see. TFA took about $2 billion boxoffice, worldwide.

If R1 can get 55% of that, it will have been closer than I could have imagined as an off-shoot film.

But like I said before, American (and indeed the world) loves them some Star Wars. The franchise doesn't produce movies; it produces happenings.

Dude, if you think that a non mainline SW is hitting Episode numbers...I really don't know what to tell you.

Will it hit a billion? Yes, world wide is a given. Will it hit north of the $2 billion Episode 7 (coming in on insane hype, following a dismal Episodes 1-3) and a movie that still fell short of AHBUHDAR?

C'mon, bruh...GAF hype is so insolated from the rest of the world...

kswiston

I guess it depends on whether the Star Wars fanbase is as dedicated as the MCU fanbase. Ant-Man aside, most of the post-Avengers stuff lacking Iron Man has landed in the 700-800M range. TFA was about 50% bigger domestically and 33% bigger worldwide than Avengers was, if we want to use those are general estimates of franchise viewer bases.

I guess it depends on whether the Star Wars fanbase is as dedicated as the MCU fanbase. Ant-Man aside, most of the post-Avengers stuff lacking Iron Man has landed in the 700-800M range. TFA was about 50% bigger domestically and 33% bigger worldwide than Avengers was, if we want to use those are general estimates of franchise viewer bases.

I think the novelty of massive repeat viewings will be down on R1 over TFA. I could be wrong but last year was different. New movie after 10 years off, without Lucas, with the core 3 back again continuing the beloved OT.

Not sure a side story is gonna get people into seats multiple times like this one did.

Dude, if you think that a non mainline SW is hitting Episode numbers...I really don't know what to tell you.

Will it hit a billion? Yes, world wide is a given.
So you answered your own question? Because I'm pretty sure I literally just typed that if it can get any more than half of what E7 did, it will have exceeded my expectations. Where did you think we even disagreed for you to get hot and bothered (again)?

Who the fuck said anything about hitting mainline Episode numbers? I said it'll be interesting to see how well it tracks relative to E7 numbers. Did that mean I expect it to do as well as E7? Of course not. Don't be stupid.

Of course, you can feel free to continue erecting and winning arguments against those strawmen. Seems to be your natural reaction despite your actual opinion (yes, it will do a billion+) is the exact same as mine. How far above a billion is what interests me. Not whether it will do 2 billion in the boxoffice, and certainly not bothering with your tired commentaries.

Surfinn

Mainly tone, Rogue One seems like it has way more bite. An emphasis on shots that showcase the environments. I guess I just wasn't feeling TFA as much. I was a little hyperbolic with the Star Wars jab though, don't want to draw ire over that lol

I will admit that it seems like R1 has a lot more going on visually and artistically than TFA (in terms of creativity within the SW universe).

So many amazing shots in the footage we've seen so far.

I don't think Rogue One has any real chance of topping TFA overseas. The UK, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, and Japan are mature markets. They will likely mimic the US performance to some extent, with a sizeable drop between TFA and Rogue One. Those territories made up almost $600M of TFA's overseas gross.

Rogue One has a decent chance at topping Rogue One's gross in China and territories that typically mirror China's taste in Hollywood films.

EDIT: Regarding repeat viewings, there's exit polling and maybe online ticket sales tied to specific accounts, but that's about it.

See, that's what I don't really get. It's difficult to back up repeat viewings making up a specific chunk of sales without stats (though I don't doubt they definitely bump the numbers up). The question is by how much, and that seems impossible to determine with the information at hand.

Got my 2 tickets, and ready for Saturday opening weekend.

Disney is going to keep releasing Star Wars/Marvel movies forever aren't they?

Late 90's early 00's me would be ecstatic at the thought of yearly Star Wars and comic book movies. Present day me, a little less so, yet I keep buying the tickets, lol.
That's literally the plan, yeah. They've flat-out said as much.

I will admit that it seems like R1 has a lot more going on visually and artistically than TFA (in terms of creativity within the SW universe).

So many amazing shots in the footage we've seen so far.

Indeed. It's certainly appears to not be the sort of safe "paint by the numbers" approach we saw in E7, but we'll see what exactly that means in 2 weeks time. I have my 4 IMAX tickets ready to roll, so I'm doing my part. :)

That's literally the plan, yeah. They've flat-out said as much.

Presuming they like movie and can continue making them worth seeing, I can't imagine why they'd even want to stop. I'll take a Star Wars movie every year or every other year until I'm old and grey. That's fine with me.

Surfinn

Indeed. It's certainly appears to not be the sort of safe "paint by the numbers" approach we saw in E7, but we'll see what exactly that means in 2 weeks time. I have my 4 IMAX tickets ready to roll, so I'm doing my part. :)

I like it. I think we're slowly building toward what people expected out of EP7 visually and creatively. R1 is a step in the right direction and EP8 will blow us away with brand new visuals, relative to what we saw with the progression in the OT (new ships, designs, characters, environments). to quote Rey.. "I believe that".

Reckon I'll end up tagging along with a group to see it, but I'm in no real rush to see it that I already bought a ticket. Few if any of the trailers or clips have done it for me. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by it.

There's a space battle in this one.

Plus Darth Vader.

And the Death Star blows up a world, though I don't know if it fully destroys the world.

Michael Giacchino score.

It'll be great.

I dont know how much to expect from Giacchino this time around. He was brought in pretty late and he's basically had to rush this in between other jobs. Michael is fantastic but I'm keeping my expectations in check since he may not have been given enough time to get the kind of results he'd prefer. Might have had to just get it done. He's one of my favorites but every now and then you can tell he got rushed with a score.

We'll see soon! Hoping for the best.

So you answered your own question? Because I'm pretty sure I literally just typed that if it can get any more than half of what E7 did, it will have exceeded my expectations. Where did you think we even disagreed for you to get hot and bothered (again)?

Who the fuck said anything about hitting mainline Episode numbers?
I said it'll be interesting to see how well it tracks relative to E7 numbers. Did that mean I expect it to do as well as E7? Of course not. Don't be stupid.

Of course, you can feel free to continue erecting and winning arguments against those strawmen. Seems to be your natural reaction despite your actual opinion (yes, it will do a billion+) is the exact same as mine. How far above a billion is what interests me. Not whether it will do 2 billion in the boxoffice, and certainly not bothering with your tired commentaries.

LOL.

Reading my response and then your response where you accuse ME of being hot and bothered.

Presuming they like movie and can continue making them worth seeing, I can't imagine why they'd even want to stop. I'll take a Star Wars movie every year or every other year until I'm old and grey. That's fine with me.

I'm conflicted. I love the Star Wars universe and I'm always happy to see more and more of it, to see how it continues forward and outward. But on the other hand, there is something to say about having a definitive ending. Now more than ever it's near impossible to see something simply end. Every franchise gets continued until it basically has no choice but to stop, and is either left with no resolution or a hastily put together ending. I'm not saying the same will happen with Star Wars, but sometimes just having a proper ending and leaving it at that, as sad as it may be, is refreshing and cathartic. I remember when I actually thought Sith was the end of the Saga. It bummed me out thinking there wouldn't be anymore, but at the same time I was able to look back over a completed story and enjoy it as one.

I'm conflicted. I love the Star Wars universe and I'm always happy to see more and more of it, to see how it continues forward and outward. But on the other hand, there is something to say about having a definitive ending. Now more than ever it's near impossible to see something simply end. Every franchise gets continued until it basically has no choice but to stop, and is either left with no resolution or a hastily put together ending. I'm not saying the same will happen with Star Wars, but sometimes just having a proper ending and leaving it at that, as sad as it may be, is refreshing and cathartic. I remember when I actually thought Sith was the end of the Saga. It bummed me out thinking there wouldn't be anymore, but at the same time I was able to look back over a completed story and enjoy it as one.

I see SW like I see the MCU like I see comics. There is NEVER an ending of the entirety of the books but rather closure to archs. You saw Vader's end. Yoda's. You will see the completion of Luke Leia and Han. You'll probably see Rey, Finn and Poe's ending too. Will you see the "end" of SW? Probably not in your lifetime.

The franchise will likely outlive all of us and future generations will get to have their go at it.

I see SW like I see the MCU like I see comics. There is NEVER an ending of the entirety of the books but rather closure to archs. You saw Vader's end. Yoda's. You will see the completion of Luke Leia and Han. You'll probably see Rey, Finn and Poe's ending too. Will you see the "end" of SW? Probably not in your lifetime.

The franchise will likely outlive all of us and future generations will get to have their go at it.
I don't mean an end to the universe per se. Obviously I knew there always was going to be more books, comics, TV shows, even spin-off movies. But the heart of Star Wars is the Skywalker Saga. And while I would be lying if I said there was ever a point I didn't want the mythical sequel trilogy to finally happen, I liked the idea of *that* story being wrapped up and completed, at least as far as the films are concerned, even if makes sense that the story would continue onwards.

Like I said, I'm conflicted. I certainly don't *oppose* more Episodes and I'm always hungry for the next chapter, but it's also satisfying to turn that last page sometimes, you know?

At the very least I hope there's a substantial real-world time gap between IX and X.

I don't mean an end to the universe per se. Obviously I knew there always was going to be more books, comics, TV shows, even spin-off movies. But the heart of Star Wars is the Skywalker Saga. And while I would be lying if I said there was ever a point I didn't want the mythical sequel trilogy to finally happen, I liked the idea of *that* story being wrapped up and completed, at least as far as the films are concerned, even if makes sense that the story would continue onwards.

Like I said, I'm conflicted. I certainly don't *oppose* more Episodes and I'm always hungry for the next chapter, but it's also satisfying to turn that last page sometimes, you know?

At the very least I hope there's a substantial real-world time gap between IX and X.

Yeah I'm with ya. I just think that, they casted incredibly young co-stars, especially Rey and Finn (followed closely by Ren and Poe) so the conclusion of the Skywalker saga is a long ways off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom