• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 40 emo albums of all-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
There's a really great "Map of Emo" over on r/Emo that breaks a lot of the popular bands down to first wave, second wave, emo pop, etc. Really great for looking at the genre as a whole because you can see the context surrounding bands/albums and see what kind of influences they were working with. It's also great for finding new stuff to listen to.

Based on this list I guess I like Emo Pop the best haha. The Early November is one of my favorite bands though and they're not in that subsection. They're often more poppy than not.

Okay, I guess The Starting Line would be considered "punk," and that's why they're not in there, but zeezus this line is thin

element

Emo will always be SDRE, Jimmy Eat World, Jawbreaker, Promise Ring and the first two Weezer albums to me.
Add American Football and The Anniversary in there and you pretty much nailed it.

There were five years between Pinkerton and Green, which River really changed how he wrote and decided to just have fun. But Blue and Pinkerton would be considered classic 'emo' albums.

Teggy

I'm kind of surprised Senses Fail - Let it Enfold You wasn't even top 40. Is this album forgotten about or something?
I always thought "Buried a Lie" was an interesting song in the way it tells a story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-vCbPp6Y9M

senses fail sucks

thisisneogaf.gif

Seriously though, the "Sense" band I was a little surprised not to see is Sense Field. I like "Building" a lot.

Edit: oh and "Through Being Cool" is a great record but "Stay What You Are" is kind of a masterpiece. Maybe they didn't think it was "emo" enough.

blackjaw

Wrong get up kids album.

Edit , I see quite a few of my opinions shared.

Clarity > Bleed American

I'd go further and say Static Prevails>Clarity...haha...I like how raw the recording is

Don't get me wrong, Clarity is amazing, but their second album is just magic

Sobriquet

I'd go further and say Static Prevails>Clarity...haha...I like how raw the recording is

Don't get me wrong, Clarity is amazing, but their second album is just magic

I said that earlier in the thread. *high five*

But you don't think Dear You belongs on the list so...

Kawl_USC

Based on this list I guess I like Emo Pop the best haha. The Early November is one of my favorite bands though and they're not in that subsection. They're often more poppy than not.

Okay, I guess The Starting Line would be considered "punk," and that's why they're not in there, but zeezus this line is thin

Emo pop and emo revival is where it's at.

blackjaw

I said that earlier in the thread. *high five*

But you don't think Dear You belongs on the list so...

Oh no, if we are considering some of the pop-punk bands emo then Jawbreaker gets to stay emo and Dear You is a masterpiece (even though I like 24 Hour better)

1-2-3-4 who's punk, what's the score?

We can be friends, you have good taste in music
;)

GorillaJu

A list that has Drive Like Jehu on it and Drive Like Jehu isn't ranked #1 should be immediately disregarded. Yank Crime is miles better than anything else on there.

glow

Banned
As far as "emo" Mineral or Texas is the Reason should be #1...just my opinion

And LOL at jawbreaker, cursive and a few of the modern pop-punk bands being"emo"

I haven't listened to this music in a long time but cursive's icebreaker 7" from the mid-late 90s was one of the most emo things I've ever heard, and it was a masterpiece. If they are pop punk now, that's hilarious... They broke up for awhile because the guitarist needed to work full time to get through law school

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah, Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead, Elliott - False Cathedrals should been on there.

Also, Further Seems Forever - The Moon is Down, which I don't think has been mentioned yet but is excellent.

SMattera

The Devil and God Are Raging inside me is a pretty top heavy record. It has five really great songs (Sowing Season, Millstone, Jesus Christ, Degausser, You Won't Know) but everything else is utterly forgettable. Your Favorite Weapon has some great songs as well, but most don't hold up. A lot of them just sort of sound like generic crap you'd hear coming from some mid-level Warped Tour stage back in 2003. Daisy is an interesting record, and hard for me to categorize. It really reminds me of Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile. It offers a really entertaining listening experience, but it has no real defining or signature track -- all the songs sort of blend together.

I would definitely say Deja Entendu is Brand New's best work to date, by a fairly healthy margin.

Trojan

Good to see The Used and Brand New on that list. This game me some feels back to my emo days.

The Devil and God Are Raging inside me is a pretty top heavy record. It has five really great songs (Sowing Season, Millstone, Jesus Christ, Degausser, You Won't Know) but everything else is utterly forgettable.

Totally agree but I would add Luna to the list you already made. Jesus Chrisf is my favorite Brand New song of all time. Amazing and amazingly candid song.

cj_iwakura

they were. stuff like paramore, fallout boy, panic at the disco and my chemical romance aren't

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge and early Panic! are, I agree fully, Sheesh, listen to stuff like Helena and Time To Dance again

Further Seems Forever are a great choice, they're Chris Carabba's band before he went solo and formed Dashboard Confessional.
(Also a south florida band, represent.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom