• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 40 emo albums of all-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympia

That coheed and cambria album is the only one I ever liked.

Would've loved to see goddamnit or self-titled on here.

I was just thinking about that. The list is pretty broad and I'm surprised AT didn't make the list. or Glassjaw for that matter. seems to be in the same vein as most of the weird stuff they picked.

Not the best list in the world but considering it's Rolling Stone it's actually pretty great. Nice mix of the different emo waves. Top 7 are on point.

NimbusD

The Weezer thing jumped out at me too (them not really being emo).

The only other band I've ever listened to (outside of clubs) is Brand New and their best album is clearly Daisy.

Yeah it's weird to have people agreeing with that. I guess emo as a musical genre really doesn't mean anything if they are considered emo.

Rolling Stone didn't get the memo that emo from the 90s that stemmed from post hardcore like Braid or Sunny day real estate has nothing to do with the stupid fucking emo from the '00s bullshit MySpace emo retards with stupid hairdos and eye makeup.

Sorry, but if you listen to mall emo you can still hear the influences of bands like Braid, SDRE, TGUK, Promise Ring, and American Football. They're very much connected.

Zombine

Banned
I don't remember if I was emo for the girls or the emotions. I don't remember either working out particularly well for me. Pretty fun list, brings back a ton of memories.

Taking Back Sunday is still one of the worst live acts I've seen in my life, yet when my girlfriend tells me her Taking Back Sunday stories they are totally opposite.

kris.

Banned
Coheed emo? No, and if they were they'd be #1 on that list.

first album is very emo-ish imo. also their best album.

it's weird watching your favorite band growing up slowly dip in quality until you come to the realization that they just kinda suck now :(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Where's The Cure's Disintegration?

Don't bring actual good albums into this discussion.

Snark aside, I always thought Jimmy Eat World were more bad pop-punk than emo?

I've always heard them referred to as an emo band or a gothic shoegazer band. I had no idea they weren't considered emo.

Nah. They began as a post-punk band, then became more of a melancholic pop band, went on to lean towards sorta kinda alternative rock for a few albums and their recent studio output is best classified as garbage.

I've heard Disintegration described as goth before (I'm terrible with genres and labels though), so it might follow that it could be considered emo? To me emo always seemed like Diet Goth. Regardless, Disintegration is a fantastic album in its own right.

No. Goth/post-punk and emo have more or less nothing to do with each other. Although I guess what has been classed as emo in recent times, stuff like My Chemical Romance, could be seen as sort of Goth Lite, like Marilyn Manson was seen as goth in the late 90s/early 2000s, even though he didn't have much to do with goth besides taking some visual cues from the genre/subculture.

"emo"

Nothing wrong with pop punk and power pop (well Fallout Boy/Panic!/MCR we could have done without), and while I am always on board for Pinkerton/Deja Entendu appreciation, there are plenty of actual emo bands missing bands that deserve mention.

Bruh, power pop Fall Out Boy is not. Sloan, The Knack, Big Star, Wedding Present, Stone Roses, Guided by Voices, etc.

All those Brand New albums but no the Devil and God are raging inside me.

I wouldn't consider Coheed Emo either. All their albums are great though besides year of the black rainbow.

ghostjoke

Banned
Bruh, power pop Fall Out Boy is not. Sloan, The Knack, Big Star, Wedding Present, Stone Roses, Guided by Voices, etc.

Those were just examples of irritating bands that have forever tainted the emo genre. Wasn't imply they were power pop - pop punk and power pop was part of same statement.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Some of these albums I have a hard time seeing as emo (Coheed & Cambria, Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy) but Sunny Day Real Estate is essentially emo.

Weezer's Pinkerton wrote the book on emo before it was even anything.
This person knows what they're talking about

I don't remember if I was emo for the girls or the emotions. I don't remember either working out particularly well for me.
This person too.

Owls is the best album on the list, but not emo, even if it was listened to by mostly emo kids.

akileese

By their broad definition of emo, the lack of Hot Water Music, Alk3, and Smoking Popes disturbs me. Like seriously, how the hell is Goddammit not on that list?

Alucrid

Banned
7. Cap'n Jazz, 'Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports ...' (1995)
6. American Football, 'American Football' (1999)
4. Jawbreaker, 'Dear You' (1995)
1. Sunny Day Real Estate, 'Diary' (1994)

ok, at least these are on here

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
A lot of the stuff in the top 20 I remember playing on college radio in the late 90s. My view of emo at the time was mostly midwestern 20 somethings playing somewhat angular indie rock that girls liked. They were influenced by Sunny Day Real Estate and Minor Threat, sometimes they sang, and sometimes there was a screamy guy. Sometimes it was pop punk with some math rock cords and timing for variation. I liked Braid alright, they seemed really influenced by Jawbox. I never considered Drive like Jehu to be emo, or Dismemberment Plan, who toured with some emo bands. Most of the ones on that list, I never listen to now.

I never understood the whole goth = emo thing in the 2000s. To me goth is Bauhaus or Dead Can Dance or some Siouxie Sioux, nothing I would remotely equate to emo.

Trevelyan

Banned
Pretty good list. I would definitely replace TGUK 4 minute mile with Something to Write Home About though, as that record is absolutely amazing.

opoth

Banned
Damn, they got #1 right and that never happens. Diary is so good, back in 95 or when I heard it for the first time, I thought it actually meant that I liked emo.

Where's the first Anniversary album? That's another one that transcends the genre and should be in the conversation.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Never heard of ya

QkZ9ZTJ.png

I had some fun with this one, trying to recall the bands that were "popular" at the time. According to it, Karate is emo, but not Jawbox or Hot Water Music. Interesting that Drive Like Jehu is also considered emo, but 3 Mile Pilot is not (they didn't even know who they were)

Hmm.. no Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me? I don't like emo at all anymore but I still listen to that album once and awhile.

Brand New is an Emo band at times but I'm not sure The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is an Emo album. A loooooot of that album has to do with religion and stuff. I mean there are still emo elements in it but as a whole not sure I would classify it that way.

Also Brand News best album

And I could see how a lot of people could say its emo. Its depressing as hell and dark most of the time, but to me Emo is more about relationships and less about personal self doubt. Thats just my interpretation though

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't remember if I was emo for the girls or the emotions. I don't remember either working out particularly well for me. Pretty fun list, brings back a ton of memories.

Taking Back Sunday is still one of the worst live acts I've seen in my life, yet when my girlfriend tells me her Taking Back Sunday stories they are totally opposite.

When did you see TBS live? I saw them at a really tiny theater the size of maybe half a high school gym a few months after Tell All Your Friends came out before John Nolan left the band and he carried that show HARD. I always thought Mascherino was a poor replacement.

StillEdge

7. Cap'n Jazz, 'Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports ...' (1995)
6. American Football, 'American Football' (1999)
4. Jawbreaker, 'Dear You' (1995)
1. Sunny Day Real Estate, 'Diary' (1994)

ok, at least these are on here
You forgot Algernon, the Get Up Kids, and Texas is the Reason. But I feel like you are the only one that gets it in here so I like you.

That list is so awkwardly mixed with real emo and music that was just thrown that term because "why not".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom