• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone : "Why can't [Justin Trudeau] be our president?"

djkimothy

Wait, the replies in this thread confuse me. People seem not to like Trudeau much? Do people not like him because he talks like a populist, or are his actually policy positions not very good?

They are butt hurt NDP or Conservative voters who have uninspiring politicians (or russian trolls?). He's actually been pretty decent. Yes, voting reform is a disappointment and the MMIW file is wonky but he's done everything right so far.

That includes the Kahdr file.

Trace

Banned
Wait, the replies in this thread confuse me. People seem not to like Trudeau much? Do people not like him because he talks like a populist, or are his actually policy positions not very good?

People are easily influenced by conservative propaganda. He's been a great PM but spew enough bullshit about how he's not "doing enough" and eventually people start to believe it even when it's completely false.

jstripes

Banned

As has been said, we've got a problem with right wing propaganda flooding social media trying to influence the public's opinion of him.

Moppeh

Banned

A fair bit of people are still bitter because of how he treated electoral reform (myself included).

And there are plenty of other decisions that rub some people the wrong way, such as his pipeline approvals and the Omar Khadr settlement.

Trudeau seems like a normal, good hearted person though

Yeah, and? That's great! That should be the minimum. He not being an absolute embarrassment doesn't elevate him from legitimate policy criticism— in fact it's nice to not have the constant distraction of an idiot or a would-be autocrat from policy discussions.

I mean, they do, but don't let facts get in the way of a talking point...

feeling-sabout-trudeau.png

A near-majority of Canadians also approve of the government's direction:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am truly glad for our Canadian bretheren up north that they get a decent leader in times like these, especially after having a guy like Harper in office. But while this makes for a nice change of pace, Slate has a bit of a warning for you:

Link

Stay vigilant. Don't make our mistake Canada. Please

Yeah this is from months ago, and Kevin O'Leary dropped out of his campaign for the conservative leadership like a week later because he had no hope of winning.

Yeah, and? That's great! That should be the minimum. He not being an absolute embarrassment doesn't elevate him from legitimate policy criticism.
But that is the problem. The Canadian conservatives don't have any legitimate policy criticism. Canada leads the G7 in economic growth, The Canadian dollar has risen against the currencies that matter to Canada (US, Euro, British Pound, Japanese Yen, Brazilian Real), and the Canadian Unemployment rate is consistantly dropping. So other than these issues that affect all Canadians, where is the present government dropping the ball? I suppose having to wait until June 2018 for marijuana to be legal in Canada is a disappointment for some. I can understand if conservatives were critical of election reform but that will never happen as the CPC benefit even more than the Liberals with first pass the post elections. Climate change? Suck it up, 84% of Canadians say Canada should remain committed to the Paris Accord. And our government is now nicer. This government is showing you can rule our very diverse nation without being divisive, and that must really bother conservative pundits.

Stage On

The narrative that Trudeau has done nothing at all (or has only done bad things) as Prime Minister is so prevalent among people I thought were educated that it's crazy.

For the most part he's too busy doing photo ops to actually get anything useful done. And when he DOES bother to do something it's usually really stupid like giving millions of dollars away to a terrorist.

Dan-o

he's just not ready

nice hair tho

Came for this. Not disappointed.

But that is the problem. The Canadian conservatives don't have any legitimate policy criticism. Canada leads the G7 in economic growth, The Canadian dollar has risen against the currencies that matter to Canada (US, Euro, British Pound, Japanese Yen, Brazilian Real), and the Canadian Unemployment rate is consistantly dropping. So other than these issues that affect all Canadians, where is the present government dropping the ball? I suppose having to wait until June 2018 for marijuana to be legal in Canada is a disappointment for some. I can understand if conservatives were critical of election reform but that will never happen as the CPC benefit even more than the Liberals with first pass the post elections. Climate change? Suck it up, 84% of Canadians say Canada should remain committed to the Paris Accord. And our government is now nicer. This government is showing you can rule our very diverse nation without being divisive, and that must really bother conservative pundits.
Also, this. Very good post.

Trace

Banned
They have to because he doesn't actually work, at least this way they can keep him in the limelight
For the most part he's too busy doing photo ops to actually get anything useful done. And when he DOES bother to do something it's usually really stupid like giving millions of dollars away to a terrorist.

If you'd like to explain how he "doesn't actually work" I'm all ears.

...You gotta be kidding me.

I would love to see evidence of Trudeau not getting anything done. Please, feel free to provide some receipts. Drive by shit posting is ridiculous. You are full of shit.

Also re: Khadr

1) Supreme court ruled 3 times he had his rights violated

2) He was going to win 40 Million dollars if the government didn't settle (hint: Khadr would have easily won the case)

3) Trudeau saved tax payers tens of millions

4) Almost no evidence that he killed the American soldier.

Revan

Going with the CPC is lowering our standards. So until the NDP get their shit together, Trudeau is perfectly fine. After 10 years of that science hating, bible thumping, old stock Canadian pushing fuck Harper, Trudeau is massive step up. He's not perfect, and I'm still pissed at how election reform went, but my god is he better than ever having another CPC candidate as PM.

This.

Dropping electoral reform really bugged me - it was one of the biggest platforms that the Libs had during the campaign.

Outside of that however?

No complaints at all with Trudeau's leadership. Things can always be better - but right now it's a metric fuckton better then what it was under Harper and the insane backwards ideology that came with 10 years of CPC rule.

He's our version of Obama in a lot of ways.

Edit:

This too.

The changes brought on by the Trudeau government are a pretty good reflection of what he is accomplishing. Not everyone is going to agree but they have helped better Canada in the time they have been in power.

JayTapp

lol at people saying not liking Trudeau is being right wing.

Gosh I hate politics here. It's always black or white.

LakeEarth

I thank god that Harper isn't in charge now that Trump is the US president. The boot licking that would've likely occurred would've been sickening. So far, Trudeau is striking that perfect balance of not doing whatever Trump wants while simultaneously keeping him relatively happy.

TyrantII

Because people don't vote, or they think voting is some form of egotistical self expression of their own purity and high mindedness instead of a sloppy, imperfect system to get people to grudgingly work together.

JayTapp

American magazine, don't be silly.

If by "always" you mean "some people sometimes", then I agree with you.

Well, of course, it's not everybody. Most of the time it's the vocal ones.

As someone from Quebec, let me tell you there's a LOT of reasons for not liking the Trudeau name and the Liberal party.

WaterAstro

I don't like the government for some policies, but the most important thing, right now, is the environment.

If the Liberal government pushes renewable energies extremely hard and stops the oil sand mining in the Boreal Forest, natural gas fracking in various parts of Canada, then I will like them very much regardless of a lot of policies I disagree with.

Also, if they implement a carbon tax, they will completely win me over, at least until we completely reverse climate change... which I'll be dead by then.

But that is the problem. The Canadian conservatives don't have any legitimate policy criticism.

Criticism has to come from other parties? It would be nice if the opposition parties were in better shape.

I know in my circles there is irritation about an unchanged C51 and lack of any progress on electoral reform. In no way was I trying to suggest that our government or Trudeau in particular are terrible— just trying to explain why some Canadians might not love our prime minister nearly so unconditionally as many Americans seem to.

Well, of course, it's not everybody. Most of the time it's the vocal ones.

As someone from Quebec, let me tell you there's a LOT of reasons for not liking the Trudeau name and the Liberal party.
As someone from Quebec, you don't speak for me.

Trudeau and the Liberal Party represents Quebec excellenty in Canada

lacinius

Criticism has to come from other parties? It would be nice if the opposition parties were in better shape.

I know in my circles there is irritation about an unchanged C51 and lack of any progress on electoral reform. In no way was I trying to suggest that our government or Trudeau in particular are terrible— just trying to explain why some Canadians might not love our prime minister nearly so unconditionally as many Americans seem to.

Just so you are aware, C-51 is not unchanged... read post #72 above on Page 2.

JABEE

The conservatives next job will be to create fuckable Trump to compete in the Instagram age. This is the only reason you get on the cover of Rolling Stone.

When was the last time a foreign leader was on the cover of Rolling Stone?

The free world's hopes couldn't be in Germany, because of reasons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
my American friends constantly chide me for criticizing Trudeau on Twitter, with this sort of you think you've got things bad sort of way... which I get, Trump is a maniac, but I don't see why Canadians should lower our standards just because an orange lump of hate got elected south of the border.

I'm not thrilled with Trudeau. But I think a lot of this is we're coming off of the Harper years too and a lot of people would look like a golden beacon of hope by comparison.

Top Bottom