• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums Of All Time

Shredderi

Oh man no Demanufacture from Fear Factory? I think it's one of the quintessential industrial metal albums. Glad to see Godflesh in there.

Artdayne

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-100-greatest-metal-albums-of-all-time-w486923

Here's the top 25. It seems sporadic I guess, and you could argue about inclusions and exclusion. Personally, I don't think the list is arguable in some spots, but once you get out the top ten, it gets super iffy.

25) Metallica – “Metallica”
24) Rage Against The Machine – “Rage Against The Machine”
23) Danzig – “Danzig”
22) Mötley Crüe – “Too Fast For Love”
21) Metallica – “…And Justice For All”
20) Anthrax – “Among The Living”
19) Megadeth – “Rust In Peace”
18) Tool – “Ænima”
17) Mercyful Fate – “Melissa”
16) Dio – “Holy Diver”
15) Ozzy Osbourne – “Diary Of A Madman”
14) Black Sabbath – “Vol. 4”
13) Iron Maiden – “Iron Maiden”
12) Judas Priest – “Screaming For Vengeance”
11) Metallica – “Ride The Lightning”
10) Pantera – “Vulgar Display Of Power”
09) Ozzy Osbourne – “Blizzard Of Ozz”
08) Megadeth – “Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?”
07) Motörhead – “No Remorse”
06) Slayer – “Reign In Blood”
05) Black Sabbath – “Black Sabbath”
04) Iron Maiden – “The Number Of The Beast”
03) Judas Priest – “British Steel”
02) Metallica – “Master Of Puppets”
01) Black Sabbath – “Paranoid“

I'm just glad MOP is NOT No. 1. Its a great album....but insanely overrated.

Good list. MoP is a seminal masterpiece.

Artdayne

whoops double post.

.. so i have never listened to Megadeth but know every other album in that top 25. I guess I should do that.

Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGagJervtMc

Megadeth's Good Mourning/Black Friday from Peace Sells. One of the best intros I've ever heard in a metal song. Mustaine almost never plays this song anymore though because it's too dark.

Honestly as a big Tool fan (might be my current favorite) I don't necessarily think of them as metal. Prog hard rock? Maybe? I dunno.

The fact that Evanescence is on the list made me laugh really hard...

Tool is probably my favorite band, at least they were for the longest time, I still love them but yeah I have a hard time defining their sound and I'm not inclined to call them metal. Opiate and Undertow were almost grunge with a bit of a heavier bent to them and then Aenima started to mix in some progressive and then Lateralus and 10,000 days went much further into the progressive side of things.

WiseguyMVP

And yeah, Pantera has no business being in any top ten. Terrible band.

hqdefault.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The greatest Trash Album of all time "Rust in Peace" at #19?

What a fraud of a list, im out. |m|

Bitanator

I don't really consider Rainbow a metal band, even Rising to me does not classify just never hit my ear that way. The album is still one of my top ten favorite albums regardless, I have blasted it nonstop all day many times.

not a single non american or british band I see

Um, what? Did I miss the sarcasm here?

Judas Priest? Motorhead? Sabbath?

Wut?

Oh man no Demanufacture from Fear Factory? I think it's one of the quintessential industrial metal albums. Glad to see Godflesh in there.

Demanufacture should absolutely be on this list.

You either missed the "non" or "British"...? I'm guessing they meant "not a single non-American or non-British", just phrased a bit weirdly.

Ah ok that makes more sense.

But... Mercyful Fate?

I mean to be fair British and American Metal was by far the most well-known, prevalent, and culture-shaping.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, why are people upset at a Rolling Stone article/list, again? If you even know a wee bit about metal, none of this should surprise or upset you.

This is like seeing a top best video games list from Billboard magazine and being upset that Call of Duty is #1. ;)

The greatest Trash Album of all time "Rust in Peace" at #19?

What a fraud of a list, im out. |m|

*thrash

People who can't spell thrash are the real frauds! LEAVE THE HALL *

Um, what? Did I miss the sarcasm here?

Judas Priest? Motorhead? Sabbath?

Wut?

You either missed the "non" or "British"...? I'm guessing they meant "not a single non-American or non-British", just phrased a bit weirdly.

* I am not actually serious with any of this, so if anyone is gonna scream elitist, please calm down ok

So, why are people upset at a Rolling Stone article/list, again? If you even know a wee bit about metal, none of this should surprise or upset you.

This is like seeing a top best video games list from Billboard magazine and being upset that Call of Duty is #1. ;)

eh, what else are we gonna talk about? "Great list!" then close tab?

This is actually not that terrible for a mainstream mag.

There are some misses here. No Gorguts, Swans, Suffocation or Cannibal Corpse is pretty far on the odd scale.

I get why they chose Covenant and Heartwork, but there's some consistency issues here. Odd to see those in one spot and then Streetcleaner in another. Either pick the album that represents the pinnacle of the band's output, cultural relevance or the pinnacle of their popularity.

I knew they wouldn't be on the list, but these 2 albums will always be in my top 10:

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I assume the Darkness didn't make it. I unironically think they have the best lyrics in all of Metal.

malfcn

Slipknot.
The first CD chaos and influential.
The second, Iowa, was a heavy and rebellious response to the first success.

PillarEN

Slipknot.
The first CD chaos and influential.
The second, Iowa, was a heavy and rebellious response to the first success.

Was it? I always thought Vol. 3 was the ultimate response to the previous records. Right from the first track which was very different for Slipknot to open up that way. Corey deciding to not lean on swearing. Something like Vermillion pt.2. I mean I'm not someone who is a Slipknot historian, but that 3rd record seemed like it was a departure from the first two which seemed like they were more closely related.
(I know there was an album before the self titled one, but that's a much different Slipknot)

At least it made the list. I don't like Metalcore aside from some of the Mathy bands, so I don't know which albums are most important.

It's a weird discussion to have. A lot of the more important metalcore albums aren't necessarily the best albums those bands put out. They're just albums that would come to set the stage for the next decade or so of music coming out of those scenes.

Jane Doe is the most important Converge album, but I don't think it's the best Converge album. Likewise, Calculating Infinity is probably the most important Dillinger Escape Plan album, but it's definitely NOT the best one they put out.

I would've liked to have seen Shai Hulud and/or Poison The Well get put on this list. They were two pioneering bands of a fledgling style of metalcore that dominated the 2000s. Shai Hulud coined the term metalcore, even.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I accept Black Sabbath as #1 its pretty undeniable.
But #2 should be Iron Maiden Piece of Mind..which was their greatest Album

It's a weird discussion to have. A lot of the more important metalcore albums aren't necessarily the best albums those bands put out. They're just albums that would come to set the stage for the next decade or so of music coming out of those scenes.

I think this is definitely true and what kind of makes these lists difficult at times. A lot of important Metal albums are not as good as albums that are....simply better albums musically.

pablito

My man!

Opeth is important enough to land a list like this. Either for Still Life or Blackwater Park if I had to pick.

Yup. They had a very strong run of 8 back to back albums, with a few all time greats in there. I'm sure some would argue more. Not really sure what about them makes people froth at the mouth with hatred for them. They get tons of love, but the people that don't like them god damn they don't like them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I like Ride the Lightning better than Master of Puppets but think Master is probably the better album of the two.

Top Bottom