• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums Of All Time

Orion is a masterpiece while Escape is bad, but also I wouldn't trust anyone who put Metallica's black album anywhere close to a top 10 or above Metallica's 80's albums.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Glad to see so many people throwing up Master of Reality. That is easily the best Sabbath album, if only for Children of the Grave.

Indeed. Fuck The Black Album. I hate it more than St. Anger.

Eh.

BTW, list is as predictable as it could be, but not entirely wrong. It works better as "the top albums to listen to if you want to get into metal". Personally I would have chosen other albums to represent the bands mentioned, for instance:

Black Sabbath -> Heaven & Hell
Iron Maiden -> Somewhere in Time
Judas Priest -> Painkiller
Metallica -> Ride the Lightning
Megadeth -> Rust in Peace

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Eh.

BTW, list is as predictable as it could be, but not entirely wrong. It works better as "the top albums to listen to if you want to get into metal". Personally I would have chosen other albums to represent the bands mentioned, for instance:

I would argue that Ozzy Sabbath is easier to get into than Dio Sabbath but I ain't gonna give someone guff for trying to listen to Neon Knights

Eh.

Megadeth -> Rust in Peace

Preach! I get why they went with the Ozzy albums, but Heaven & Hell (and the whole Dio-era of Sabbath in general) is my favorite from the band. It's actually what first got me into metal, after stumbling onto a live video of the band performing the title track in 1980 on YouTube about 10 years ago.

TheWraith

Preach! I get why they went with the Ozzy albums, but Heaven & Hell (and the whole Dio-era of Sabbath in general) is my favorite from the band. It's actually what first got me into metal, after stumbling onto a live video of the band performing the title track in 1980 on YouTube about 10 years ago.

Are you me? Preach, brother.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Though it's quite possible that my hate for Enter Sandman is enough to pull the entire album down that far.

Wow, somebody actually agrees with me...somewhat.

Usually, when I tell them I hate their S/T arguably more than St. Anger, it's met with extreme anger.

I think Koloss is their best album

1. Koloss
2. Nothing
3.Obzen
4. Violent Sleep Of Reason
5. Chaosphere
6. Destroy Erase Improve
7. Contradicions Collapse
8. Catch 33

I can't argue with anybody who likes the album, so whatever.

For me.....Chaosphere>Obzen>Destroy Erase Improve>Nothing>Catch 33>Violent Sleep of Reason>Koloss>Contradictions Collapse

All of them I give a 10/10...except Collapse. Album is 7/10 at best.

Actually a pretty solid list....especially with UNLEASHED IN THE EAST!

Is that Priest' best album overall? Perhaps. It's probably my favorite, now that I think about it.

Same. The only thing missing from Unleashed in the East imo is Beyond the Realms of Death imo. It's a masterpiece as is, but it's be perfect if it had that song on there.

I'm glad Sabbath are where they are. Although I would put master of reality above the first album.
Is Sleep on here anywhere? Didn't check the top 100.
They're in there but they put them in for the crappy cut up version of Dopesmoker which isn't even called Dopesmoker lol.

Accoun

Wow, somebody actually agrees with me...somewhat.

Usually, when I tell them I hate their S/T arguably more than St. Anger, it's met with extreme anger.
I don't like s/t that much. In fact it's my least liked album from them. Which sounds even stranger considering how much I like Load/ReLoad.

Timeaisis

I'm glad Sabbath are where they are. Although I would put master of reality above the first album.
They're in there but they put them in for the crappy cut up version of Dopesmoker which isn't even called Dopesmoker lol.

What? That's dumb. At least it's technically on there, I guess?
Holy Mountain deserves to be in there, too.

Also, totally agree with MoR above Paranoid as well.

Ristifer

Escape > Orion

Orion is pure, boring filler. And some of the other songs, while good, are way too long. There's no reason for MoP or Disposable Heroes to run 8+ min, or The Thing That Should Not Be and Welcome Home to run over 6m. They aren't epic like Call of Ktulu or Creeping Death.

Of course it only got worse on Justice. Metallica forgot about pacing and just started to meander on MoP and on AJfA they took that up to 11.
Holy shit, no. Even Hetfield hates Escape.

But, opinions. I've always found Ktulu fairly bland on the album. It's the S&M version that gets me pumped up. That version makes the song epic.

Usually, I would agree if a song overstayed its welcome, but Master of Puppets (the song, at least) is the definition of needing every single second of its running time. It's jam packed with goodness. Same goes for the entire album. There's never a point where I want a song to end because it's not wrapping things up. On Justice, I can see your point there. But not on Puppets. Not for me, at least.

Escape > Orion

Orion is pure, boring filler
. And some of the other songs, while good, are way too long. There's no reason for MoP or Disposable Heroes to run 8+ min, or The Thing That Should Not Be and Welcome Home to run over 6m. They aren't epic like Call of Ktulu or Creeping Death.

Of course it only got worse on Justice. Metallica forgot about pacing and just started to meander on MoP and on AJfA they took that up to 11.

Should be a bannable offense imo.

But, opinions. I've always found Ktulu fairly bland on the album. It's the S&M version that gets me pumped up. That version makes the song epic.

They played it this year and it was incredible.

https://youtu.be/i9fxUlTMRz8?t=2m19s

Rob's bass hnnngh

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Would you say people are... madly in anger with you?

>.>

Holy shit, no. Even Hetfield hates Escape.
Why should anyone care about Hetfield's opinion on anything?

PS: S&M sucks

Should be a bannable offense imo.
Lovin' that this is a controversial opinion. I had no idea it was, but the tears are delicious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think the idea that any Metallica song (at least from those beloved first albums) is worse than Escape would be controversial.
Never understood the sheer hate for that song. It's fine. It's not great, but it's OK, and decently memorable, doesn't overstay its welcome. As far as "filler" songs go it's inoffensive at the worst. Orion is even duller and goes on for fucking ever, as do the filler Justice songs.

I guess this is the Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time If You Stopped Listening to Metal Around 2000.

Also not a single power metal album in sight. Fuck sake these guys need some Kai Hansen to bring them deliverance

Never understood the sheer hate for that song. It's fine. It's not great, but it's OK, and decently memorable, doesn't overstay its welcome. As far as "filler" songs go it's inoffensive at the worst. Orion is even duller and goes on for fucking ever, as do the filler Justice songs.

Escape is a great, agreed that it doesn't deserve the hate.

jmdajr

I guess this is the Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums of All Time If You Stopped Listening to Metal Around 2000.

Also not a single power metal album in sight. Fuck sake these guys need some Kai Hansen to bring them deliverance
2000? Almost sounds like me. Well more like the mid 2000s. I don't even know what's hip now. Just buy Amon Amarth albums when they come out. Seems they are doing well and not playing the shitty clubs I used to see them at.

Spacejaws

I am going to check this supposed list and if Ayreon, Star One, Avantasia, Edguy and Running Wild are missing I will have a sit down talk with myself and question the nature of true metal.

I am going to check this supposed list and if Ayreon, Star One, Avantasia, Edguy and Running Wild are missing I will have a sit down talk with myself and question the nature of true metal.

Of course a magazine as ignorant about music as Rolling Stone would miss the brilliant Running Wild.

Ristifer

I mean, even without the ranking, the comparison doesn't make any sense. It would be more of a comparison between Ktulu and Orion as instrumentals. So, the comparison is already odd enough. And Orion > Ktulu in that case, too.

Top Bottom